Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sir Tonk posted:

This would be a hilarious turn of events. The Dems mostly vote against and the GOP votes for him with enough Dems to confirm. (not hilarious in a good way)

Gallows humor is still humor, and we'd mostly all prefer laughing to crying. Uncontrollably. Until we pass out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't count on it. All indications point to Reid whipping the party in line behind a Summers nomination. Immediately after Obama's defense on July 31, Reid was quoted as saying "Whoever the president selects, this caucus will be for that person, no matter who it is."

That'll be the first time Reid has successfully whipped the caucus.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

The X-man cometh posted:

If the President has to give a "full throated defense" to his own party, there's a pretty good chance Summers won't get through, depending on whether the banks pressure the GOP on his behalf.

Considering the fact that Congress has to up the debt ceiling again and pass a budget there will probably be some sort of compromise that gets him through.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

evilwaldo posted:

Considering the fact that Congress has to up the debt ceiling again and pass a budget there will probably be some sort of compromise that gets him through.

Where is the horse that Senate Dems are getting in such a deal? "Vote for Summers and... Obama won't veto a debt ceiling increase?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are about a half dozen Democratic Senators who would actually vote against Summers, but that's the ceiling. Leahy, Sanders, Warren, and Brown are definite nos with Merkley, Markey, and Durbin on the fence, though I seriously doubt Durbin would buck Obama on this appointment. He'll make a show at hearings, but that's the extent of it. On the Republican side, there's also a small group that might be willing to go against the banking lobby (from which Summers will have overwhelming support). There's the Paul-Lee-Cruz triumvirate of End the Fedism and they'd likely be joined by banking-skeptical Vitter and perhaps one or two others - McConnnell and Cornyn being possibilities there to shore up their anti-Obama cred. But make no mistake: Summers will be the next Fed chair, if appointed.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

(Rand Paul has 1,167,000 likes, which is 26,000 more than his dad)

Rand Paul is working the anti-abortion email circuit like a penny slot right now, I imagine that has something to do with it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Of the boring generic white Republicans posted on the last page, I think my Governor, Mike Pence, probably wants to be President. But after winning a Gubernatorial race with only a plurality (49%), running against a Democrat who had been out of politics for two decades and a superstar from Survivor, and it was a race he was widely expected to waltz to victory, I think the national interest and national money has probably dried up.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he was shortlisted for a VP nominee, though.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Where is the horse that Senate Dems are getting in such a deal? "Vote for Summers and... Obama won't veto a debt ceiling increase?"

Democrats should get a grand bargain with tax reform and entitlement reform, that's what they want.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ReindeerF posted:

Is Castro worth a poo poo?

He's been doing a pretty good job, I think, considering the city he's in charge of. Managed to open up public preschools, which considering San Antonio has the worst schools in the state is certainly an improvement -- the local Dems played it up a lot because it's unabashedly a good thing. Right now it seems like he's going to get an anti-gay discrimination law passed, so there's been a lot of negative press from conservatives, so if you look around you can go and see the sort of thing that'll get pulled up if he goes national. His mother was in La Raza, and that pulls out the racists like crazy. But I like him well enough, and he seems to be courting national politics lately so a VP pick doesn't seem out of the question.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Is Castro worth a poo poo? I ask that honestly, I really know nothing about the guy. Seemed like an okay speech, but I didn't form an impression of him and I haven't been around to watch him govern. He is, inevitably, judged by his predecessor, Henry Cisneros, the same way Rick Perry is judged by George Bush and so on. Cisneros actually seemed like a really competent guy, but had a personal fuckup that cost him. That doesn't mean he would've been a bad national politician, but we never found out.

What's Castro like day to day? Pretty good guy?

EDIT: His smile really freaks me out in the way Michele Bachmann's eyes do, but that's not a defining trait politically, heh.

crowfeathers posted:

He's been doing a pretty good job, I think, considering the city he's in charge of. Managed to open up public preschools, which considering San Antonio has the worst schools in the state is certainly an improvement -- the local Dems played it up a lot because it's unabashedly a good thing. Right now it seems like he's going to get an anti-gay discrimination law passed, so there's been a lot of negative press from conservatives, so if you look around you can go and see the sort of thing that'll get pulled up if he goes national. His mother was in La Raza, and that pulls out the racists like crazy. But I like him well enough, and he seems to be courting national politics lately so a VP pick doesn't seem out of the question.
As someone who lives in San Antonio, Castro's been doing an excellent job as mayor, and I'm very happy I voted for him. As crowfeathers noted, he got the Pre-K for SA passed, and is working on passing an anti-gay discrimination law, both of which are awesome, and a good reminder that not all of Texas is a regressive shithole (just most of it :(). Unless something big changes though, don't expect him to be VP in 2016, Castro's said he's planning to stay as mayor here for another term after this one, which would keep him as mayor of San Antonio until 2017. He's also said he isn't going to run for the Governorship, which would be a key stepping stone for VP. Even without the VP possibility, I do wish he'd for Governor, since Perry's stated he's not running for re-election; without Castro running it means we're probably going to a have another goddamn Republican Governor.:suicide:

Cisneros was before my time, but my dad's evaluation of him is "He was a really great mayor, but then he hosed around on his wife and screwed all that up, and screwed us out of a good future Representative.":argh: To note, my dad's also happy with Castro as mayor, and we'd both love it if Castro ran for President in 2024.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 31, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is Warren able to single-handed hold Summers up indefinitely?

It would be the single most incredible "gently caress you wall street" move she's pulled and I've watched a lot of her hearings. It isn't like she'd suffer for it in the election.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Theoretically yes. She won't because she needs the rest of the Democratic caucus to actually y'know work with her at some point down the road plus there's any number of Republicans who'd be more than happy to put a hold on him.

e: That came out a bit kinkier than expected.:pervert:

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

fade5 posted:

As someone who lives in San Antonio, Castro's been doing an excellent job as mayor, and I'm very happy I voted for him. As crowfeathers noted, he got the Pre-K for SA passed, and is working on passing an anti-gay discrimination law, both of which are awesome, and a good reminder that not all of Texas is a regressive shithole (just most of it :(). Unless something big changes though, don't expect him to be VP in 2016, Castro's said he's planning to stay as mayor here for another term after this one, which would keep him as mayor of San Antonio until 2017. He's also said he isn't going to run for the Governorship, which would be a key stepping stone for VP. Even without the VP possibility, I do wish he'd for Governor, since Perry's stated he's not running for re-election; without Castro running it means we're probably going to a have another goddamn Republican Governor.:suicide:

Cisneros was before my time, but my dad's evaluation of him is "He was a really great mayor, but then he hosed around on his wife and screwed all that up, and screwed us out of a good future Representative.":argh: To note, my dad's also happy with Castro as mayor, and we'd both love it if Castro ran for President in 2024.

Demographics are stronger for a Democratic pickup of the governor's seat in 2018 anyway.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

foot posted:

Demographics are stronger for a Democratic pickup of the governor's seat in 2018 anyway.

Someone who isn't poo poo has to run and lose though. They can't keep throwing Chris Bells at the Texas GOP until Hispanics decide to start voting and the whole thing flips to 55% Democrat. They have to work for it.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Entire Universe posted:

It would be the single most incredible "gently caress you wall street" move she's pulled and I've watched a lot of her hearings. It isn't like she'd suffer for it in the election.

She could theoretically place a hold on his nomination, but realistically no she couldn't.

Honestly, Summers isn't an objectively terrible person for the post. He's absolutely a lovely choice, but that's because he's being judged against superior alternatives and is being selected because a)he's Obama's bro and b)he's a Wall Street whore. And the appointment of somebody who seems to widely be believed to be more of a "hawk" and less likely to continue open-ended easing while unemployment is still sky-high is just another sign that Obama's econ team is a bunch of Rubinite assholes who have closed ranks around a President who mostly thinks like them in the wake of being conclusively proven wrong.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
According to Robert Costa, Ted Cruz is just about as good at making friends in the GOP as Chris Christie.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

And Ronald Reagan was a friendless outsider with a limp handshake.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

Isn't "Democratic Senator from MA" pretty much a lifelong position barring an extreme fuckup? I don't see her going "gently caress you Wall Street" and being punished by the electorate, considering most of the electorate feels the same way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah pretty much, seems like a lot of recent Dem senators stick around there for awhile.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Some PPP New Hampshire runs for comedy's sake:

Paul 20
Christie 19
Jeb Bush 14
Ayotte 12
Cruz 10
Rubio 7
Ryan 7
Jindal 3
Santorum 2

Clinton 57
Biden 12
Warren 11
Booker 4
Cuomo 2
Gillibrand 1
Warner 1
O'Malley 0 (ouch)
Schweitzer 0

Biden 36
Warren 20
Booker 9
Cuomo 7
Gillibrand 1
O'Malley 1
Schweitzer 1
Warner 1

Warren 33
Cuomo 14
Booker 12
Gillibrand 5
O'Malley 4
Warner 2
Schweitzer 1 (ouch)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Oh man, those O'Malley numbers.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

jeffersonlives posted:

Some PPP New Hampshire runs for comedy's sake:

Paul 20
Christie 19
Jeb Bush 14
Ayotte 12
Cruz 10
Rubio 7
Ryan 7
Jindal 3
Santorum 2

That Cruz number is slightly surprising to me, but I guess at this stage it's largely name-recognition driving this result (especially in NH).

Are we really approaching a situation where Rand Paul could win the nomination? I can't imagine any state scenario where his numbers don't plunge once he opens his mouth.

Edit: What the hell?!? Why did it post two GIFs? Sorry...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

mdemone posted:

Are we really approaching a situation where Rand Paul could win the nomination? I can't imagine any state scenario where his numbers don't plunge once he opens his mouth.
He opened his mouth for 12 hours straight when he filibustered about domestic drone strikes, and that seemed to go pretty well for his numbers...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mdemone posted:

Well, Ron Paul got 23 percent in New Hampshire in 2012; whether or not Rand is in Ron's high floor/too low ceiling scenario is, I guess, an open question, but I'd also venture a guess that 20 won't be anywhere near the number required to win the actual 2016 NH primary.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

jeffersonlives posted:

Well, Ron Paul got 23 percent in New Hampshire in 2012; whether or not Rand is in Ron's high floor/too low ceiling scenario is, I guess, an open question, but I'd also venture a guess that 20 won't be anywhere near the number required to win the actual 2016 NH primary.

I suppose if there were enough cross-tabs and polls with varying candidate selections, we could work out a flowchart that indicates to whom, for example, Kelly Ayotte's voters would move if she doesn't run. Watching that flowchart evolve as the primaries draw closer could be very enlightening, but boy howdy do I not have the time to whip it up.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

More evidence that if neither Clinton or Biden run, things get really interesting (yeah yeah, normal disclaimer about being 3 years out etc).

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

drat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Of course Rand Paul is going to do well with NH Republicans. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zero_Grade posted:

More evidence that if neither Clinton or Biden run, things get really interesting (yeah yeah, normal disclaimer about being 3 years out etc).

If neither of them run, either a domestic drone went horribly awry or we are in the Mirror Universe and everyone mysteriously grows a goatee overnight.

jeffersonlives posted:

Rand can absolutely hit 30+ and win NH. He can also hit 10 and is much more likely to hit 10 than 30. His problem is more that the GOP is guaranteed to have at least one candidate sharing his approximate space on the spectrum who isn't Rand Paul than his actual ability to win a vote. (It's also that he can't cleanly sweep the early states, but none of them can do that so get ready for another round of Anyone But The Frontrunner no matter who that is)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is there any chance the Democrats are grooming an unknown "up and comer" to go against Hillary like they did with Obama? I wasn't into politics until Obama won the primaries so I really don't know if he was actually a surprise for the political junkies as he was for the rest of America.

If I was in charge I would have my pick in a virtual reality training room debating holograms of Hillary and conservatives all day.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 19, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Everyone knew Obama was going to run for President after his 2004 DNC keynote speech, most people just thought it would be in 2012 not 2008. That said, I don't think Hillary's going to fall for the same trick twice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's also not as much of a launchpad for an Obama '08-style candidate so far. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick a guy I'd say Booker who's making loud noises about being left of where center is currently on a variety of issues like criminal justice. That might be a good place to start come 2016 but I would hesitate to bet on it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Is there any chance the Democrats are grooming an unknown "up and comer" to go against Hillary like they did with Obama? I wasn't into politics until Obama won the primaries so I really don't know if he was actually a surprise for the political junkies as he was for the rest of America.

Not really. The deeper bench beyond Clinton and Biden is pretty well-known at this point. Cuomo and Gillibrand are Clinton's handpicked successors, but everyone (except Diamond Joe) is waiting to see what her next move is.

Also yeah everyone knew Obama was gonna run after 2004. There were a few pieces here and there around 2005-6 about him getting cozy with Reid, Durbin, Harkin, etc. that in retrospect make his run in 2008 seem obvious in hindsight.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well I suppose my only hope is that the electorate will drag Hillary to the left a bit but I'm really doubtful about that. At least thing won't be completely horrible from 2012-2020.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Well I suppose my only hope is that the electorate will drag Hillary to the left a bit but I'm really doubtful about that. At least thing won't be completely horrible from 2012-2020.

The best thing that could happen to American politics right now (or the near future rather) is that a Democrat wins in 2016 and 2020, while in the latter election a heavy focus on state races is made. This will win back the state seats just in time for the next census, which will put an end to the permanent majority of the Republican House.

Plus in 2020 Scalia and Kennedy will be 84 and Alito will be 70 so the chances of breaking the 5-4 lock are pretty likely.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Orange_Lazarus posted:

If I was in charge I would have my pick in a virtual reality training room debating holograms of Hillary and conservatives all day.
It's hard to talk about "the Democrats" as an entity of action while excluding Hillary and Biden. There could be some sentiment to that effect and that matters sometimes, but that's it. Nobody was grooming Obama, really, he was showing signs of being a rising star himself and had a good story and so he got the DNC keynote and then he impressed people again etc. There's always luck involved but there probably won't be a recruitment effort like there was for the GOP in 2012.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

pangstrom posted:

It's hard to talk about "the Democrats" as an entity of action while excluding Hillary and Biden. There could be some sentiment to that effect and that matters sometimes, but that's it. Nobody was grooming Obama, really, he was showing signs of being a rising star himself and had a good story and so he got the DNC keynote and then he impressed people again etc. There's always luck involved but there probably won't be a recruitment effort like there was for the GOP in 2012.

According to "Game Change" a significant faction of Democratic Party leadership including Harry Reid had serious reservations about the viability of a Hillary candidacy in 2008 for various reasons (including, if I recall, her position and vote on the Iraq invasion as well as the decades long backlog of GOP attack material against her), or outright thought she couldn't win, and set about drafting an alternative who might have a better chance to win.

Obama was recruited in large part because he showed a strong ability to raise funds in addition to his obvious "star power" and not being as vulnerable on Iraq (granted he didn't have to vote on it).

I think in the aftermath of the 2008 and 2012 races the same attitude towards Hillary does not exist. She is widely viewed as the most viable candidate from either party at the moment, and everyone has seen the clown car situation that has arisen with major GOP candidates.

I think the Democratic Party will probably view Hillary as the best chance to win in 2016, and win easily and safely, rather than a serious vulnerability to throw away a chance on what should be a very winnable race for the Democrats as many viewed her in 2008.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

api call girl posted:

There's also not as much of a launchpad for an Obama '08-style candidate so far. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick a guy I'd say Booker who's making loud noises about being left of where center is currently on a variety of issues like criminal justice. That might be a good place to start come 2016 but I would hesitate to bet on it.

My belief is that Booker is trying to use his Senate campaign organization to build the base of a presidential-caliber national organization. That's probably for 2020 or 2024, and it's not going to be incredibly easy for him to pivot from 2013 special primary/2013 special general/2014 regular general to immediately running for president in 2016, but on the other hand having three test runs and three opportunities to build a donor and volunteer base isn't the worst thing...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The two groups to watch leading up to the 2016 primary are OFA (who will probably do nothing) and DFA (who will probably get behind a dark horse). I don't expect the DFA challenge to be successful, but Dean did say that Hillary will definitely have a challenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

The two groups to watch leading up to the 2016 primary are OFA (who will probably do nothing) and DFA (who will probably get behind a dark horse). I don't expect the DFA challenge to be successful, but Dean did say that Hillary will definitely have a challenger.

I'd imagine DFA and the DFA types are going to go crazy trying to draft Warren into the race. We've had the discussion at length around here over whether that will be a worthwhile endeavor and I don't think a whole lot has changed, though.

• Locked thread