Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
The food needed to create a baby could just be fed to the pig instead. Unless the pigs only eat humans, in which case who the hell thought it was a good idea to domesticate an animal like that?

Only Toriko is absurd enough to make me question the thermodynamics of using human babies as fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

KoB posted:

Its canon that theyre not very good though.

Teppei looked pretty delicious.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Young Midora and Toriko look pretty drat alike... are we heading for a "I'm your father"?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pawl posted:

The food needed to create a baby could just be fed to the pig instead. Unless the pigs only eat humans, in which case who the hell thought it was a good idea to domesticate an animal like that?

Only Toriko is absurd enough to make me question the thermodynamics of using human babies as fodder.

The pigs are probably special pigs that greatly raise their flavour potential when they dine on newborns.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah with the number of crazy animals around in Torikoverse I'm totally willing to believe that eating baby makes these pigs extra delicious.

Also,

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Liar posted:

Young Midora and Toriko look pretty drat alike... are we heading for a "I'm your father"?
I've always suspected that'll play a roll as some point in the series.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Feeding kids to the pigs may not be to raise the pig, but as a sacrifice to keep the pigs from killing the village. They call the pigs livestock but they also call them wild red haired pig so :iiam:. Plus you guys are focusing on the wrong parts of this chapter, this fight is a fight between the two most overpowered characters in a manga where everyone is overpowered. I'm really enjoying it.

Batmasterson fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 19, 2013

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How are we focusing on the wrong thing. The backstory somehow pivotal to his stupid loving ability is literally that he's the starving baby that didn't get eaten.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I guess wherever Midora's tongue been it leaves some black hole like space that just eats whatever passes through it?

More or less this seems to be spot on for what this ability is.

As dark as Midora's back story is, and that taste is not even accounted for or that he cares nothing about it, then assuming that he got to GOD first, and was able to partake in the Ultimate Fullcourse of all Fullcourses, would it even register? GOD would essentially have no impact on him whatsoever.

He is the living embodiment of "eat to live/live to eat".

As far as the "baby eating pigs and the society" goes, I wasn't too shocked. From the Torikoverse perspective, it was simply a matter of time before something questionable or morally indecent as this would come to pass. From the Manga perspective, I don't have enough digits to count the hosed up situations where Humans are a sacrifice for the survival of "X" where X is anything that stands to gain from the sacrifice.

All that Spoiler aside, good chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The most amazing part about the big villain being a cannibal is that cannibalism hasn't been shown as being bad, because Sani did it first.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Maybe God's so drat fantastic that once you eat it you literally never need to eat again. aka. It's the one thing that will definitely fill him.

Either that or he's just greedy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's gonna be real sad when Midora eats God and can't even tell what it tastes like. :smith:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AnonSpore posted:

It's gonna be real sad when Midora eats God and can't even tell what it tastes like. :smith:

The point might be that it could be the only thing he could ever taste, and he just wants to taste SOMETHING.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Toriko doesn't need to make sense, just bask yourself in the beefcake and ridiculousness.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

After Komatsu restores Midora's ability to taste by preparing God for him, Midora joins Komatsu's muscle harem and they all work together to defeat Neo. The end.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Liar posted:

Maybe God's so drat fantastic that once you eat it you literally never need to eat again. aka. It's the one thing that will definitely fill him.

Either that or he's just greedy.

That's just it though, Midora doesn't register the taste, only the value that it keeps him alive. It could be the greatest god drat thing in the loving universe, but it will just be another meal to him, and he'll continue on.

Also, Acacia used GOD to end the great gourmet wars, did he not?

I'm not so sure you eat GOD and boom, you don't ever need to eat again. That would be like, the most sinful thing in the Torikoverse to do.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Seebach posted:

That's just it though, Midora doesn't register the taste, only the value that it keeps him alive. It could be the greatest god drat thing in the loving universe, but it will just be another meal to him, and he'll continue on.

Also, Acacia used GOD to end the great gourmet wars, did he not?

I'm not so sure you eat GOD and boom, you don't ever need to eat again. That would be like, the most sinful thing in the Torikoverse to do.

Well, you gain full control over your Gourmet Cells when you eat God, that much is known.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, God would be a curse if it was so good that nothing you ever ate could compare to it. It'd be like one of those monkey's paw stories.

Maybe it's a taste that lets you fully appreciate the taste in everything else, like some super version of food honor?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, God would be a curse if it was so good that nothing you ever ate could compare to it. It'd be like one of those monkey's paw stories.

Maybe it's a taste that lets you fully appreciate the taste in everything else, like some super version of food honor?

God is a spice, clearly.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

God is sriracha.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't be ridiculous. Why would anyone in Toriko be interested in cock sauce?

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

How are we focusing on the wrong thing. The backstory somehow pivotal to his stupid loving ability is literally that he's the starving baby that didn't get eaten.

I was just referring to everyone freaking out about humans getting fed to animals in a manga where everything is edible.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Batmasterson posted:

I was just referring to everyone freaking out about humans getting fed to animals in a manga where everything is edible.

I was going to comment that that's a lot of babies to come up with to feed them, but then I recalled this is a manga where the world has a population of fifty gajillion people. Also women probably birth babies in litters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is probably a tree that produces delicious, delicious babies.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

international owl day posted:

Well, you gain full control over your Gourmet Cells when you eat God, that much is known.

Well you gain full control of your Gourmet Cells upon eating Acacia's entire Fullcourse Meal, not just GOD.

AnonSpore posted:

The thing that kills me is that even if it is the greatest taste in the world, would it even register to Midora, who has eaten probably everything known to mankind at this point.

He's like some 500+ years old too right? So he's more than twice the age of Elg, who comments on life being a blur at his age.

This is speculation on my part, but maybe Midora might just not be able to taste, period. It may not be that he doesn't care about it, but that there is literally no way for him to experience "taste". Perhaps it is some sort of gourmet curse he was born with. No taste, but an insatiable apetite.

Not that the two go hand in hand, again just speculatory.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Seebach posted:

Well you gain full control of your Gourmet Cells upon eating Acacia's entire Fullcourse Meal, not just GOD.

The thing that kills me is that even if it is the greatest taste in the world, would it even register to Midora, who has eaten probably everything known to mankind at this point.

He's like some 500+ years old too right? So he's more than twice the age of Elg, who comments on life being a blur at his age.

This is speculation on my part, but maybe Midora might just not be able to taste, period. It may not be that he doesn't care about it, but that there is literally no way for him to experience "taste". Perhaps it is some sort of gourmet curse he was born with. No taste, but an insatiable apetite.

Not that the two go hand in hand, again just speculatory.

Time for Komatsu to use his skills to make something so delicious that even Midora can taste it and be brought to tears, thus adding yet another character to his harem.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toriko/Ch-251--Acacia-and-his-Three-Disciples--?id=175756

New chapter!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well that was heartwarming.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Something must happen to Frohze at some point that turns Midora into the evil guy he is today. At least, that's my guess on what this might be pointing towards.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope we get ten more chapters of Acacia and Frohze's Perfect Life and then just cut back to the fight, no explanation beyond "Well, sometimes dudes are dicks. Midora is among them."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I hope we get ten more chapters of Acacia and Frohze's Perfect Life and then just cut back to the fight, no explanation beyond "Well, sometimes dudes are dicks. Midora is among them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAiyUduyrY

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
It's pretty funny that this is a world where billions are starving to death, but every time we see anybody eating it's a fifteen-course meal made with animals the size of houses. It seems like a couple Regal Mammoths could basically feed half the planet if everyone just adapted to eating normal sized portions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Liar posted:

It's pretty funny that this is a world where billions are starving to death, but every time we see anybody eating it's a fifteen-course meal made with animals the size of houses. It seems like a couple Regal Mammoths could basically feed half the planet if everyone just adapted to eating normal sized portions.

The vast majority of people in Toriko aren't starving to death, to be fair. Starvation pretty much only exists outside of the IGO countries. Things were probably different back when this flashback is taking place, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 26, 2013

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

The vast majority of people in Toriko aren't starving to death, to be fair. Starvation pretty much only exists outside of the IGO countries. Things were probably different back when this flashback is taking place, though.

I think the IGO was started by Ichiryu so it wouldn't have been around. In fact, he probably formed the organization as a reaction to what we're seeing in this very flashback. Starvation was probably a lot more common back then, what with all the wars and stuff.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

So Midora can taste.

Welp, that theory of mine is out the window.

This chapter though :allears:

I've been waiting for something like this.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Liar posted:

The flashback is from the pre-Gourmet Age when countries were at war and before the GOD ingredient/meal/??? stopped it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Seebach posted:

So Midora can taste.

Could

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Silver2195 posted:

It probably also doesn't help that it takes the national guard to defeat the average garden tomato. Eating's tough when your average bag of Cheetos could potentially rip your loving head off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Capture level isn't just Battle Strength, it's also location and rarity. A level 1 food could just take four dudes to harvest, IGO soldiers or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Liar posted:

It probably also doesn't help that it takes the national guard to defeat the average garden tomato. Eating's tough when your average bag of Cheetos could potentially rip your loving head off.

It's probably more that the guys who can actually capture a mammoth the size of a ountain are the same guys who are likely to actually eat a mammoth the size of a mountain in one sitting.

• Locked thread