Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Does anyone around here know Hindi? I think it is Hindi anyway. I am wondering what the lyrics are to this song (or just the gist of them). Or at the very least the "tuna tuna tak tak tuna" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXohmsLmR9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
e: nevermind

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

OctoberBlues posted:

Does anyone around here know Hindi? I think it is Hindi anyway. I am wondering what the lyrics are to this song (or just the gist of them). Or at the very least the "tuna tuna tak tak tuna" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXohmsLmR9g

Tunk tunk Tun
Tunk tunk Tun
Tunk tunk Tun
Da Da Da

Sweetheart, the strings of the instrument play
listen to what the heart says
Come and love me

Sweetheart...

The world is a colorful place
it's not good nor bad

Listen friends the iktaara says
Mehndi's friends

Sweetheart, come smile with me sometimes
My heart's keeper look
This body is not under your or my control

Sweetheart.

Sweetheart, you are moon and I am Chakor
there no one like us
Our threads of life is in the hands of god

Sweetheart

(Not entirely sure what Tunk tunk Tun itself translates too, ill ask mom over dinner tonight if you like.)

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
My parents say it means nothing, like singing la la la la in English.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I loaded up Google calendar today and instead of the normal grid view (like a wall calendar) I got this list of events.

(I blurred the text, it's readable on the webpage)

Anyone know how I can get it back to the other view? I'm not keen on this one.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

My parents say it means nothing, like singing la la la la in English.

You are awesome - thank you!

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Tiggum posted:

I loaded up Google calendar today and instead of the normal grid view (like a wall calendar) I got this list of events.

(I blurred the text, it's readable on the webpage)

Anyone know how I can get it back to the other view? I'm not keen on this one.

Computer or phone? Looks like you have mobile agenda loaded.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Not sure if this is just a California thing or not, but why do people there say THE 5 or THE 405? It seems like they always say "the" before any highway name. I was talking to a buddy out in LA last night, and asked him about it. He said he wasn't sure, but that is just how everyone says it.

Where I live, we just say 435, 35, 70, 470, etc. No "the" before any highway names.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sieg posted:

Not sure if this is just a California thing or not, but why do people there say THE 5 or THE 405? It seems like they always say "the" before any highway name. I was talking to a buddy out in LA last night, and asked him about it. He said he wasn't sure, but that is just how everyone says it.

Where I live, we just say 435, 35, 70, 470, etc. No "the" before any highway names.

I've known a lot of people who claim this is a strict regional difference, but in my experience, it's just a random per person thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sieg posted:

It mostly depends on how traffic reports are given as to whether people will keep up with the usage or not. Doesn't really answer why the traffic report people started it in the first place of course, but it is why it continues to be used where it is.

I read somewhere once that it comes from how people used to refer to roads before the route numbers as "The whatever freeway" or "the whatever expressway" and over time that would become "the 5 freeway" or "the 405 freeway" and that gradually ended up with dropping to just "the 5" and so on. But I lost the source on that.

Of course there's a lot of places that retain "the" for use with explicitly named freeways/expressways, but don't move it over to just numbered ones. NYC and Philly are like that.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Install Windows posted:

I read somewhere once that it comes from how people used to refer to roads before the route numbers as "The whatever freeway" or "the whatever expressway" and over time that would become "the 5 freeway" or "the 405 freeway" and that gradually ended up with dropping to just "the 5" and so on. But I lost the source on that.

I read that somewhere too when I was trying to use Google to find an answer. It didn't seem like the stuff I found on it was really definitive and was more like someone's opinion. It seemed to be the most popular answer though.

One strange thing I've noticed about people in the KC area, is they reverse the name of the highways (not interstates/expressways). Like Highway 50 is referred to as "50 highway". Highway 69 is "69 highway" and so on.

Sorta off of this topic, but still road related. I know a guy who gets annoyed when people talk about trips in time versus mileage. He is from a small town, so I guess he is just used to people describing a distance as a number of miles. In metro areas, I've always heard distances described in the amount of time it will take you to get there. So when someone asks me how far we are from X, I'll ask them when they are heading there, and then give them a time it will take to get there. I don't just say "Oh, that is about 10 miles from here."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sieg posted:

Why do some people say pop, cola, coke or soda?

It's just a regional thing, don't put too much thought into it.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Sieg posted:

Sorta off of this topic, but still road related. I know a guy who gets annoyed when people talk about trips in time versus mileage. He is from a small town, so I guess he is just used to people describing a distance as a number of miles. In metro areas, I've always heard distances described in the amount of time it will take you to get there. So when someone asks me how far we are from X, I'll ask them when they are heading there, and then give them a time it will take to get there. I don't just say "Oh, that is about 10 miles from here."

I grew up in Montana which is nothing but small towns, and my experience was having distance always described in terms of time to the point of confusion when someone would try to use miles, so it's not just a metro area thing.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

CaptainViolence posted:

I grew up in Montana which is nothing but small towns, and my experience was having distance always described in terms of time to the point of confusion when someone would try to use miles, so it's not just a metro area thing.

Weird. Maybe it is just another one of those regional things. He is originally from some small town in Minnesota. Or maybe Montana is just unique because not many people live there and everything is very spread out so it is going to be many many miles to anywhere. Beautiful state though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Install Windows posted:

It mostly depends on how traffic reports are given as to whether people will keep up with the usage or not. Doesn't really answer why the traffic report people started it in the first place of course, but it is why it continues to be used where it is.

Of course there's a lot of places that retain "the" for use with explicitly named freeways/expressways, but don't move it over to just numbered ones. NYC and Philly are like that.

I've also found that highways act kind of like names/proper nouns for me and some other people I know. I am from the east, and I'd never ever heard "the 78" or anything, until I went to California. Now when I'm referring to california highways, I say "the 101" because that's how it was first introduced to me; that's its name to me. But if I look at a map of California or Pennsylvania and see a new (to me) highway, I will just say "36," and I still say "78" for a highway I knew beforehand.

Kind of like if you were at college A where people call their professors "Dr Donkus," and moved to college B where they called them "Prof. Dingus," you'd probably continue to refer to Dr Donkus as "Dr," and continue to refer to Prof. Dingus as "Prof," even if you went back to college A.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Sieg posted:

Linguists discuss this topic on Language Log here: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2844

There doesn't seem to be a simple answer, but regionalism is definitely too simplistic. Where I live everybody says "the X" for some freeways and just "Y" for other freeways with no pattern.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

dokmo posted:

Linguists discuss this topic on Language Log here: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2844

There doesn't seem to be a simple answer, but regionalism is definitely too simplistic. Where I live everybody says "the X" for some freeways and just "Y" for other freeways with no pattern.

Awesome, this looks like what I was looking for. Thanks!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Is there anything in particular I should look for when looking at an FM transmitter? I want to listen to my music in the car, but it doesn't have bluetooth or anything, just a CD player and the radio.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I think the capacitor went out in my A/C's condensing unit and called up a couple of supply stores. The one I removed was labeled 35+3uF which I'm assuming means 35000 microFarads. One of the supply places tried to sell me a 35+5uF capacitor which was half the price. I went ahead and bought the 35+3uF because I didn't want anything to gently caress up. Is the number after the + for magnitude or does that mean something else? I asked the person on the phone and she didn't know.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think the capacitor went out in my A/C's condensing unit and called up a couple of supply stores. The one I removed was labeled 35+3uF which I'm assuming means 35000 microFarads. One of the supply places tried to sell me a 35+5uF capacitor which was half the price. I went ahead and bought the 35+3uF because I didn't want anything to gently caress up. Is the number after the + for magnitude or does that mean something else? I asked the person on the phone and she didn't know.

Pretty sure that's the tolerance of the capacitance. So you've got a nominal 35µF capacitor whose actual capacitance will be within 3% of that value. The 5% one has a wider spread, that's all. I don't know dick about A/C stuff though, so I don't know whether that's significant or not. There's a small questions thread in DIY though and stuff like this comes up all the time. Someone there will probably know for sure if the cheaper one will work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

stubblyhead posted:

Pretty sure that's the tolerance of the capacitance. So you've got a nominal 35µF capacitor whose actual capacitance will be within 3% of that value. The 5% one has a wider spread, that's all. I don't know dick about A/C stuff though, so I don't know whether that's significant or not. There's a small questions thread in DIY though and stuff like this comes up all the time. Someone there will probably know for sure if the cheaper one will work.
I already went ahead and bought the more expensive one, which was still pretty cheap. I was just curious.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Let's continue with the linguistics questions! Why do we use "pretty" as an adverb of degree (see quoted post)? Even the Oxford English Dictionary throws its hands in the air and just gives an earliest usage of 1565. Can anyone offer any additional information?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
What's the deal with "tenure" at American universities?

From what I see it appears to be the holy grail for employees, and once you get it you cant be fired for anything less than going on a shooting rampage.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

What's the deal with "tenure" at American universities?

From what I see it appears to be the holy grail for employees, and once you get it you cant be fired for anything less than going on a shooting rampage.

And even then it really depends on who you shoot, and how much grant money you're bringing in.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
What is the etiquette of removing the replacement buttons from a button-up shirt? Is it tacky to leave them on?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Am I locked into watching purchased videos from Google Play through their video app? Specifically, I bought a movie and downloaded it to my tablet and want to play it through MX Player if possible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Computer or phone? Looks like you have mobile agenda loaded.

Computer. I just tried loading it up in Firefox and it looks normal there, so I guess it thinks Opera is a mobile device for some reason? I can't see a link or setting to force it to use the normal version. Is there some way I can get it to stop doing this? I don't want to have to use a separate browser just for loading my calendar.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What other symptoms come with a large enough dose of radiation to make your hair fall out?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Is there any actual benefit to having fingernails? They just seem to make it way easier to hurt your fingers. They catch on things, they break, they require constant maintenance, and if you injure the skin underneath them then it gets really unpleasant, and even just having them there seems to make the skin around them more prone to damage somehow. And I can't think of a single benefit to having them. Are they just some sort of vestigial remnant of claws or something or do they serve a purpose of some kind as they are now?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just broke my iPod Nano 6th gen in the most unceremonious meeting of glass and concrete. Given the incredibly small size of the screen it makes no sense to get it repaired. Can I slap a screen protector on to hold the glass into place and make it less likely to cut my thumb as I continue to use it? I really don't want to go ahead and replace it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

What is the etiquette of removing the replacement buttons from a button-up shirt? Is it tacky to leave them on?

No more tacky than leaving your shirt untucked, which is the only way anyone would know they were there (no one will care or even notice).

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Project1 posted:

What other symptoms come with a large enough dose of radiation to make your hair fall out?

I think the phrase you want is acute radiation syndrome and Wikipedia has a very detailed article that describes symptoms of varying amounts of radiation exposure.

Tiggum posted:

Is there any actual benefit to having fingernails?

I spent a few minutes poking around the internet and here's what I got:

- they are probably vestigial claws that helped a small primate ancestor of ours climb trees (source)

- they help us scratch, pick, clean, scrape, rip, untie, etc (source)

- they may help as a counter point that the rest of the finger pushes against, giving a more detailed sense of touch (source)

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 20, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
it would be really hard to play guitar without fingernails.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Is there any actual benefit to having fingernails?... if you injure the skin underneath them then it gets really unpleasant

We have a winner! You may think that fingernails make you more prone to injury, but they actually provide a lot of strength and protection. A week or so ago I slipped while slicing onions and cut through my fingernail into the tip of my finger. It was really unpleasant, but I am pretty confident that if the nail hadn't been there to absorb some of the kinetic energy, it would have been much worse.

Furthermore, while it's been healing, I've been acutely aware of how much leverage the nail provides, even when not explicitly prying with it. Just having it there to spread out force by backing up the soft, fleshy fingertip is critical. Your bones don't go that far.

You don't know what you have until it's gone, is I guess what I'm saying. I certainly didn't appreciate them prior to this injury.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Being so thin they make for much better precision tools than fingers (or any other part of our body that I can think of).

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

pylb posted:

Being so thin they make for much better precision tools than fingers (or any other part of our body that I can think of).

Front Teeth. Great bottle openers and serve to hone finger and toe nails.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Front Teeth. Great bottle openers and serve to hone finger and toe nails.

Counterpoint: fingernails grow much faster than teeth, and are more replaceable in the event that they are damaged in their use as precision tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8Osz9RnvY

(My wife does the bottle-opening-with-teeth-thing, and it makes me cringe every time.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

KnifeWrench posted:

We have a winner! You may think that fingernails make you more prone to injury, but they actually provide a lot of strength and protection. A week or so ago I slipped while slicing onions and cut through my fingernail into the tip of my finger. It was really unpleasant, but I am pretty confident that if the nail hadn't been there to absorb some of the kinetic energy, it would have been much worse.

Furthermore, while it's been healing, I've been acutely aware of how much leverage the nail provides, even when not explicitly prying with it. Just having it there to spread out force by backing up the soft, fleshy fingertip is critical. Your bones don't go that far.

You don't know what you have until it's gone, is I guess what I'm saying. I certainly didn't appreciate them prior to this injury.

Everyone has had good points, but this is the biggest one I think. Try losing or injuring a fingernail and then doing just about anything with your fingers.

If we didn't have fingernails, our fingertip skin would just squish most of the way back to the level of the bone, and we'd have poo poo dexterity as a result.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A coworker just walked in and announced with his signature smug ignorant grin that obamacare just got cut. Internet is blocked at work- I can't find anything immediate to confirm or deny and I don't want to keep my phone out. is that seriously happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Huntersoninski posted:

A coworker just walked in and announced with his signature smug ignorant grin that obamacare just got cut. Internet is blocked at work- I can't find anything immediate to confirm or deny and I don't want to keep my phone out. is that seriously happening?

Maybe, Kinda?!?!?

Newser article posted:

And we're off: The House has passed a temporary funding measure to keep the government running. As expected, the bill is coupled with a Tea Party-backed measure to block President Obama's new healthcare law. The 230 -189 vote sets the stage for a confrontation with the Democratic-led Senate. The Senate promises to strip the "defund ObamaCare" provision from the bill next week and will challenge the House to pass it as a straightforward funding bill that Obama will sign.

The White House promises Obama would veto the measure in the unlikely event it reaches him. At issue is the need to pass a short-term funding bill to prevent a partial government shutdown when the budget year ends on Sept. 30. Washington's longstanding budget stalemate has derailed the annual appropriations bills required to fund federal agency operations.