Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Alctel posted:

I got signed up but that promo code only takes 50% off sadly :(

For me the exam starts at 50% off. Then you apply the code and get 100% off. But yeah their poo poo-rear end site is crashing for me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Alctel posted:

Amazing! Now if I only could find my candidate number

edit: it works

Any suggestions for this? I have been trying to find my candidate number, driving me nuts.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:lol: What's up team VCA-DCV? Passed the exam in about 10 minutes. I did quickly plow through the free training module, probably would have passed without it but it refreshed me on a few things I would have missed. Thanks for the heads up on the discount code! When I called Pearson to finish registering the agent was super helpful, only took a couple minutes.

My candidate ID came in an email titled "VMware Inc Online Exam Scheduled" from PearsonVUEConfirmation@pearson.com, if that helps.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Docjowles posted:

For me the exam starts at 50% off. Then you apply the code and get 100% off. But yeah their poo poo-rear end site is crashing for me, too.

Oh that works! Well it would if the site didnt crash

Vintimus Prime posted:

Any suggestions for this? I have been trying to find my candidate number, driving me nuts.

You have to register on the VMWare site first for the exam

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Alctel posted:

Oh that works! Well it would if the site didnt crash

You have to register on the VMWare site first for the exam

Thanks! It would be nice if the site didn't bomb out when registering :D

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The fact that the VCA is so easy that people are taking it as a laugh is a source of great amusement for me. If it's that easy, after I knock out this VCP class and get that, the next day I'll do the VCA as a way to unwind.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The fact that the VCA is so easy that people are taking it as a laugh is a source of great amusement for me. If it's that easy, after I knock out this VCP class and get that, the next day I'll do the VCA as a way to unwind.

I just got it after whizzing through the online course in an hour. It's really easy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Now I can't wait to take it. I'm fully expecting questions like this

16) A SWITCH can bring Harmony to workplace.

A) Krshna
B) Seventeen
C) Orange
D) Router

I'm not joking when I say that the way the questions were written actually made them difficult to answer. I'm fairly certain I got at least two wrong just due to the ambiguous nature of what was being asked. poo poo like:

Switch A and B have a link go down. Switch A is the root bridge. What will likely happen?

A) The Switch B will attempt to communicate with Switch A before sending a TC notification
B) It will attempt to continue the forwarding of frames out of the designated port
C) The Switch recalculates the Spanning Tree Topology for the switch

All that was missing was a "Kindly answer the question. It is required that. . ."

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

CCNA R+S done

loving finally. Only procrastinated 2 years since my CCENT

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

psydude posted:

I'm not joking when I say that the way the questions were written actually made them difficult to answer. I'm fairly certain I got at least two wrong just due to the ambiguous nature of what was being asked. poo poo like:

Switch A and B have a link go down. Switch A is the root bridge. What will likely happen?

A) The Switch B will attempt to communicate with Switch A before sending a TC notification
B) It will attempt to continue the forwarding of frames out of the designated port
C) The Switch recalculates the Spanning Tree Topology for the switch

All that was missing was a "Kindly answer the question. It is required that. . ."

D) The switch will kindly do the needful

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

QPZIL posted:

Psssssst, hey... hey you... yeah, you... come over here for a second...

Thank you for this. Snagged my VCA-DCV a few minutes ago.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

edit:wrong thread

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Which VCA cert. should I go for if you are relatively new to VMWare?

geera
May 20, 2003
Maybe I'm just dense, but when I try to login to PearsonVUE to use the coupon, it says all VMware exams have to be authorized by VMware first? Do I need to create a VMware account and sign up to take the exam with them, and then go back to Pearson and buy it?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Island Nation posted:

VCA-DCV

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

geera posted:

Maybe I'm just dense, but when I try to login to PearsonVUE to use the coupon, it says all VMware exams have to be authorized by VMware first? Do I need to create a VMware account and sign up to take the exam with them, and then go back to Pearson and buy it?

Yes

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Island Nation posted:

They're all literally worthless, and VMware should be embarrassed to have added them. Not saying that to be mean, but there is zero point in a certification that can be taken in an hour online with no knowledge of the platform.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

They're all literally worthless, and VMware should be embarrassed to have added them. Not saying that to be mean, but there is zero point in a certification that can be taken in an hour online with no knowledge of the platform.

They aren't worthless if they teach someone something. Yes to an experienced IT person it is kinda dumb, but to someone who new virutalization or new to IT. It is a really is a good for someone testing the waters on vmware it can be a great entry point.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Like I said earlier, A+ for virtualization: You're certified not to be mystified about the computers inside the computers. As long as it doesn't carry an extreme weight in the industry, I don't see the problem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Certifications should be some sort of measurable knowledge beyond "being able to nod your head and look comfortable as smarter people talk."

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Certs are worth the effort you put into them

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Certs are worth whatever the 23 year old communications major screening your resume in human resources says they are. :smith:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Certs are worth whatever the 23 year old communications major screening your resume in human resources says they are. :smith:

Hey man I am 23 age has not as much to do with it as determination, understanding, and willing to learn.

Sucks I had to get a degree to teach, I was kinda hoping to go as far as I could without a degree. Whatever teaching is awesome

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 21, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Certifications should be some sort of measurable knowledge beyond "being able to nod your head and look comfortable as smarter people talk."

I WISH this were a job requirement. It would improve the workforce greatly.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

keseph posted:

I WISH this were a job requirement. It would improve the workforce greatly.

Good thing the interviews I have done are "whiteboard what you know"

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

They aren't worthless if they teach someone something. Yes to an experienced IT person it is kinda dumb, but to someone who new virutalization or new to IT. It is a really is a good for someone testing the waters on vmware it can be a great entry point.

Training isn't worthless if it teaches someone something. Certifications are to show measurable knowledge. If you can watch an hour video, never touch the tech, and then pass a test then the certification is worthless.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Training isn't worthless if it teaches someone something. Certifications are to show measurable knowledge. If you can watch an hour video, never touch the tech, and then pass a test then the certification is worthless.

Dunno Seen a few people who it has helped it is worthwhile to them in pursuing the VCP

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dunno Seen a few people who it has helped it is worthwhile to them in pursuing the VCP

What can they do now that they couldn't do before? What measure of knowledge does it provide?

You seem to be arguing it's valuable because it gets people interested. That's not the point of certifications.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

What can they do now that they couldn't do before? What measure of knowledge does it provide?

It provides people a gateway to what is ahead of them. Does it teach them everything to run a VMware environment? No, but it is a start.

quote:

You seem to be arguing it's valuable because it gets people interested. That's not the point of certifications.

Really? Sometimes getting confidence in a subject is a much needed boost to help people get where they are today(I know I wouldn't be as cool as I am today without the help of some really cool goons. Getting the VCA is a major self confidence boost to some people such as IT managers, and PM's; sure they aren't engineer's but sometimes you got to think outside the box of the people who might be achieving that certification. Granted I wouldn't hire someone because they boast passing a VCA but it's a start for a lot of people.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Really? Sometimes getting confidence in a subject is a much needed boost to help people get where they are today(I know I wouldn't be as cool as I am today without the help of some really cool goons. Getting the VCA is a major self confidence boost to some people such as IT managers, and PM's;

Certifications aren't meant to be an anti-depressant, or cheerleading confidence boosters. They're meant to certify knowledge in something. The format for the VCA is so easy it can't accomplish that. It's less valuable than someone passing the VCP with a 100% brain-dump test cheat sheet.

quote:

sure they aren't engineer's but sometimes you got to think outside the box of the people who might be achieving that certification. Granted I wouldn't hire someone because they boast passing a VCA but it's a start for a lot of people.

Passing the VCA is not an achievement. They could have made it an achievement, but a quick video and then a short quiz is pathetic.

The original VCA for VMware View accomplished this, and followed the same format as the VCP but without the course requirement.

You seemed to get upset when VCP course instructors didn't do a good job in teaching people, yet you're okay with a joke of a certification. Seems contradictory.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Certifications aren't meant to be an anti-depressant, or cheerleading confidence boosters.
No they aren't but damned if they help you with betting to where you want to be.

quote:

They're meant to certify knowledge in something.

Teach an ICM class and tell me half the people in there should not take it to understand VMware a bit better

quote:

The format for the VCA is so easy it can't accomplish that. It's less valuable than someone passing the VCP with a 100% brain-dump test cheat sheet.

I take it you haven't taken the VSTP tests, classes at PEX, or some of the freebies at VMUG Charolette.

quote:

Passing the VCA is not an achievement. They could have made it an achievement, but a quick video and then a short quiz is pathetic.

Okay, what is easy to yourself and mine is not easy to PM's/IT/sales managers who don't know. Seriously the general IT person is still clueless on virtualization the 'wave' has still yet to hit in SMB and some large businesses.

quote:

The original VCA for VMware View accomplished this, and followed the same format as the VCP but without the course requirement.

Never realized there was one just took the VCP-DT outright it was a load of poo poo IMO HURR DURR DO YOU KNOW GPO????

quote:

You seemed to get upset when VCP course instructors didn't do a good job in teaching people, yet you're okay with a joke of a certification. Seems contradictory.

HOLY poo poo YOU HAVE TO BE TROLLING ME WITH THIS STATEMENT. I have no idea how to answer this other than some people need to learn, they have to start somewhere. If your idea of laughing at everyone who attempts a 'joke certification' you really need to get off you high horse and think about the people around you. Not everyone goes into an ICM class with a VMware background a bunch of people are IT managers, Project Engineers, or just want to know something about VMware. So a VCA is not bad to someone who isn't versed in vmware and is learning.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I like that you completely miss the point of certifications. :allears:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

I like that you completely miss the point of certifications. :allears:

What that it is meant for people to learn?

three
Aug 9, 2007

What that it is meant for people to learn?

It's not meant for that. Go to a dictionary and break down the word. Root word: certify.

From VMware's own website for the "certification:"

quote:

With the VCA-Cloud certification, you’ll have greater credibility when discussing cloud computing.

VCA-Cloud Benefits

- Recognition of your technical knowledge

three fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 21, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

It's not meant for that. Go to a dictionary and break down the word. Root word: certify.

I never denied the VCA is a weak, in knowledge or production, certificate, I mentioned it was a starting point for some people pursuing virtualization and their VCP.

I mean seriously what the gently caress? Am I being unclear or are you just BS'ing me?

three posted:

From VMware's own website for the "certification:"

So you never took ANY Vendor cert? If you are using PR poo poo to counter a educational point I congratulate you on going that far...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 21, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
If feel like every post by Dilbert that relates to anything VMware should be followed with the disclaimer "Paid for by VMware Inc." I've never seen someone so adamantly defend a piece of paper with their logo on it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

routenull0 posted:

If feel like every post by Dilbert that relates to anything VMware should be followed with the disclaimer "Paid for by VMware Inc." I've never seen someone so adamantly defend a piece of paper with their logo on it.

If I am thank you for calling me out on it if I am; But I don't think Vmware is the greatest in everything, but it should be noted that everyone needs to start somewhere.

Also I have nothing better to do than go home and work with VMware or some poo poo, so I spend a lot of time sperging out with poo poo.

Hell I'll admit that HDX beats PCoIP when untuned.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 21, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

If you can't make the mental connection that a certification is meant to certify your technical knowledge and that if a certification can't accomplish that then it has failed, then really I don't know what to tell you.

You keep going on and on about how people have to start learning somewhere, which has nothing to do with anything discussed. That's the point of training, not certification.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

If you can't make the mental connection that a certification is meant to certify your technical knowledge and that if a certification can't accomplish that then it has failed, then really I don't know what to tell you.

Look at the curriculum for a VCA then look at a PM or IT manager that has never dealt with virtualization; then see if they can pass by watching a ~1hr video. In the SMB market to IT managers the fact you can live vMotion/Storage a VM and perform infrastructure overhauls is mystifying to say the least. It is meant for dinosaurs and noobs; seriously the VCA is only trying to reach those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Would you give someone a certification in physics if they watched a 3 hour video and took an online quiz? Or would that be... wait for it... worthless to demonstrate their knowledge of physics?