Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We used to have a light policy of just resetting staff passwords back to their id numbers if it expired or was forgotten. It's a pretty dumb thing to do and there were more than a few people abusing this so they'd never have to change out of their terrible password.

Starting this summer I've been setting the passwords to:

DD.MM.YYYY.first.last.empid

I always get a bit of a smile when someone calls in expecting to get their old password back, and then they hear that 30-40 character abortion. At least this way I'm assuming people are changing them.

Why aren't you forcing a change upon first entry of password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Hey I just learned in my VMware class that SQL Express is only a supported config for 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines or less. So my mind is blown right now. SQL isn't even that expensive. Less than the cost of 2CPU licenses of vSphere 5 Ent.

You can actually use a bunch more hosts and vm's on it depending on how you configure logging, in 5.5 they really expanded it.

I actually got into a pretty drawn out discussion last class on using express vs. SQL standard; frankly I don't mind using it in environments so long as the the SQL DB is only being used for vCenter/SSO/VUM. The problem I have is people see the SQL express load Backup software/NMS/vCenter/ thing onto it which express just doesn't handle well.

But who knows vSphere 6.0 might drop MSSQL and use Postgre's or Oracle

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MF_James posted:

Why aren't you forcing a change upon first entry of password?

We have a couple of web aps that won't allow logins if that flag is set, and some of the BYOD situations require them, so we can't force a log on.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

babies havin rabies posted:

A dusty old webserver went down today

code:
Drive-0 458gb
Drive-3 458gb    FAILED
-------
Vol-0   916gb    RAID-0
It was a good day! :)

Fortunately the backup is good. We're virtualizing it.

Gentle reminder that the 0 in RAID0 stands for how much of your data is recoverable when one of the drives fails.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

tehloki posted:

I work for a football team. Passwords I have disallowed to GREAT resistance from users:
"football"
"$team_name"

Estimated % of employees who just try to use one of these and then add a '1' when it doesn't work: way too loving high.

Every person who does anything regarding athletics where I work always does just "team_name" or slaps a number on the end of it. The difference is I didn't get my way and virtually everyone in that department has variants of the exact same password.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

stubblyhead posted:

Gentle reminder that the 0 in RAID0 stands for how much of your data is recoverable when one of the drives fails.

This is on Acer's home page right now and :golfclap: to the marketing department:

Edit: Clarification, two SSD's.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 18, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

I started doing this, and then discovered by accident that some of the applications I support truncate passwords at 8 characters, so everyone I reset on a given date had the same password.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Zero VGS posted:

This is on Acer's home page right now and :golfclap: to the marketing department:

I suppose the alternative "Twice the chance of unrecoverable data loss!" just doesn't scan as well.

However, with SSDs it's almost worth considering except that... if you've got an SSD I doubt raid 0 is going to make an appreciable difference, especially not in a consumer laptop.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of consumer hardware, my work (midsize company) is finally giving us the budget to upgrade from the DD-WRTs with Yagi antennae I had to Mickey Mouse into production. I have 6 floors I'm trying to give full wifi coverage with seamless handover between APs, would anyone recommend Ubiquiti over Aruba or vice versa?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Fortunately, data (in one sense of the word) wasn't a concern. Somehow, whoever set this up was wise enough to host the SQL database on a separate server, but not to not use RAID0. :psyduck:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skipdogg posted:

Hey I just learned in my VMware class that SQL Express is only a supported config for 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines or less. So my mind is blown right now. SQL isn't even that expensive. Less than the cost of 2CPU licenses of vSphere 5 Ent.

Seriously. The cost of a SQL server license is a rounding error in the total cost of this project. Some loving mook probably NextNextNexted his way through the vSphere installation and called it a day and by the time it was discovered... welp.

duz posted:

You're being voluntold.

Don't ever use that word again. That, "administrivia" and "administrate" should be banned from the lexicon.

You, sir, are my new hero.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

babies havin rabies posted:

Fortunately, data (in one sense of the word) wasn't a concern. Somehow, whoever set this up was wise enough to host the SQL database on a separate server, but not to not use RAID0. :psyduck:

The how-to guide probably didn't explain the difference in raids. :toot:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Well, this has been a fun few days. Our servers are for some unknown reason being horribly slow since Tuesday. Networking has been working with Microsoft but has no update for us. Meanwhile I've got several hundred extremely irate clients who either can't work, are having said work take much longer than normal, or having donors unable to donate.

Oh, and this is our second biggest time of the year for volume (prime non profit fundraising time) :suicide:

Ugh. I am sympathetic to unknown weird networking issues. I just wish networking people would communicate with my team so we knew what to tell clients.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

You can actually use a bunch more hosts and vm's on it depending on how you configure logging, in 5.5 they really expanded it.

I actually got into a pretty drawn out discussion last class on using express vs. SQL standard; frankly I don't mind using it in environments so long as the the SQL DB is only being used for vCenter/SSO/VUM. The problem I have is people see the SQL express load Backup software/NMS/vCenter/ thing onto it which express just doesn't handle well.

But who knows vSphere 6.0 might drop MSSQL and use Postgre's or Oracle

In 5.5 you can run 100 hosts and 3000 VMs on the built in Postgres in VCSA. Going to switch to VCSA then so I can finally ditch the only windows server in my production environment

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agrikk posted:

Wow. That's a big ol' turd to step over in your workplace. Sorry, sir, but your IQ is under the acceptible minimum of 100. *SNIP* *SNIP*

Woah, woah, you can't actually do that, because you'll keep killing everybody, because the average, by definition, which is 100, will keep moving up as you kill off the less able. I'm sure he wouldn't advocate that exactly. Eugenics isn't actually a bad idea though, just one people find hard to sympathise with.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HalloKitty posted:

Eugenics isn't actually a bad idea though, just one people find hard to sympathise with.

I'm going to just quote this for posterity :allears:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I thought I would try to defend myself from the horrible mistake I've made; but then I realised it was pointless:- the hole I was in was too deep. Oh dear.

Eugenics != killing

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 19, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today I got to teach myself a crash course in managing ProCurve switches in a production environment and it was...really easy?

I mean, I wasn't doing any heavy lifting, just assigning IPs for management purposes, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there's a very straightforward menu that you can pull up via the console.

Part of me is actually disappointed that I didn't get to nerd out with a proper CLI, but most of me is happy that it didn't come to that.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
^^ we use procurves here too, they're pretty awesome things when you need to do something.

HalloKitty posted:

Woah, woah, you can't actually do that, because you'll keep killing everybody, because the average, by definition, which is 100, will keep moving up as you kill off the less able. I'm sure he wouldn't advocate that exactly. Eugenics isn't actually a bad idea though, just one people find hard to sympathise with.

Any eugenics plan that doesn't have the person who suggested eugenics as a viable option in the list of those to cull is reserved for a special place in my heart below Jira*.

* we don't have printers but I hate administering the bloated crap that is our Jira with the passion that this thread has for printers. Feel free to swap as needed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

toe shoes posted:

^^ we use procurves here too, they're pretty awesome things when you need to do something.

My only experience with managed switches prior to this afternoon is the old-rear end Catalyst I bought for play around with at home, and an 8-port HP model that I just used the web interface for.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Nevermind.

frogbert fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 19, 2013

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Inspector_71 posted:

My only experience with managed switches prior to this afternoon is the old-rear end Catalyst I bought for play around with at home, and an 8-port HP model that I just used the web interface for.

You can load the cisco-clone CLI if you want though on a Procurve, although there really isn't a good reason to do it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

tjl posted:

You will see this error if you're trying to remote in and the password for the account is blank. You cannot use accounts with blank passwords with RDP. Just my guess though, you may also check to see if RDP is enabled by going to System Properties, and the remote tab.

Yep. PW is indeed blank.

Thank you, sir.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
There is a registry setting that can be changed to allow RDP from accounts with a blank password, but obviously this is not recommended.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CitizenKain posted:

You can load the cisco-clone CLI if you want though on a Procurve, although there really isn't a good reason to do it.

It defaults to a straight-up CLI, but I didn't want to learn the syntax or have to worry about what the default VLAN assignments were or anything.

The switches actually pulled addresses via DHCP when they first got connected, so I could have set everything up with an IP scanner and the browser interface, too.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 19, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hallokitty posting about eugenics, is this some kind of viral campaign for http://mewgenics.com ?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I've been here before:

http://qz.com/125673/frustrated-geek-explains-what-he-does-in-a-childrens-book/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
User cant export data. Get thei, set export directory to something with write permissions,gold. Find new problem when doc is uploading anonymous patient records to a site with an invalid cert. Tell him, tells me to fix it. 'This isnt even our pc or anything to do with us, Im just here to help you guys out. You shouldnt upload to that site with that cert. They'll have to fix that.'
Apparently its someedical curriculum that he 'has' to upload all his records to. When I asked who told him that and who manages that process in house he had no answer. So yeah, higher up doctor uploading all of his records to foreign database with invalid certs. I dont doubt that thats some sort of statistics project, but jesus what are you doing.
Also, boss told me not to bother him with law violations that happen on pcs that arent ours. I guess if I see a doctor murder someone it's "not our problem" either.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

SEKCobra posted:

User cant export data. Get thei, set export directory to something with write permissions,gold. Find new problem when doc is uploading anonymous patient records to a site with an invalid cert. Tell him, tells me to fix it. 'This isnt even our pc or anything to do with us, Im just here to help you guys out. You shouldnt upload to that site with that cert. They'll have to fix that.'
Apparently its someedical curriculum that he 'has' to upload all his records to. When I asked who told him that and who manages that process in house he had no answer. So yeah, higher up doctor uploading all of his records to foreign database with invalid certs. I dont doubt that thats some sort of statistics project, but jesus what are you doing.
Also, boss told me not to bother him with law violations that happen on pcs that arent ours. I guess if I see a doctor murder someone it's "not our problem" either.

Respec the QUAD.

A - Avoid - Dodge work that you know will create fallout. Doing nothing > being responsible.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm sick of iOS 7 updates already.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Email: To all managed devices on airwatch

subject: iOS7

body: Do not upgrade to iOS7. Thank you.

I just saw when the upgrade process happens, it tags the last iTunes account signed in to the FW for the find my iPhone. I'm lax with them using their own itunes logins to download their games but if we need to remote wipe and they leave the company that device is useless.

But the autoupdate for Airwatch is going to be awesome.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
Installing Photoshop CS6 to an IT suite and it now needs an adobe ID within 7 days or it will disable itself. Go to adobe to register: :bang:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
poo poo I thankfully don't deal with in my offices: tablets/phones

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
My boss is a big Apple fanboy so he was going around yesterday telling everyone to update. When it didn't work immediately because Apple's servers were hammered people called me wondering why.

Me: Everyone is trying to download it right now, you may have to wait
Everyone: But I want it now
Me: :sotw:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't have a way to manage my iOS devices but it's getting to the point where I'm thinking about it. Does AirWatch work like Meraki, where you register the device and then manage it through Airwatch's website?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't have a way to manage my iOS devices but it's getting to the point where I'm thinking about it. Does AirWatch work like Meraki, where you register the device and then manage it through Airwatch's website?

Install BES10 to manage your iOS devices. :colbert:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We know you're proud to be Canadian and everything but let's be reasonable here.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Does the "B" still stand for "Blackberry?" That's enough to determine if I'll install it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No no ... it's "Better". "Better Enterprise Server" ... yes. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Guess who gets to decommission their BES server within the next few months?

:smug:

In all honesty though, both the server and phones are reliable and easy to manage. Primitive, yes, but they haven't caused me any real issues. Moving to a BYOD/ActiveSync setup though, so no complaints there.

• Locked thread