Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The cumin = armpits is from ground cumin. The whole seeds smell completely different. Problem is that cumin goes stale startlingly fast, and it doesn't like to be ground up very finely. There's a reason that many Indian recipes call for the stuff as whole seeds. When it's ground, it starts going from delicious and earthy to sweaty and gross in very short time. It's the same reason I don't care for ground garam masala or curry powder. Both call for large quantities of cumin. Both smell like moldy rear end in very short order, unless they've been ground within the last few days.

At home, I flat out won't keep the ground stuff around at all. When I make hummos or something, I'll make the chickpea puree in the food processor, and then when it's done grinding, I'll toast some cumin seeds in a pan. THEN at the last minute, just before diving in with a spoon, I'll grind it in the mortar and pestle. Until that moment, the cumin lives as whole seeds.

I had friends who left me with a giant bottle of the ground stuff. It smells like sweaty hippie. I intend to throw it out as soon as I can get some whole seeds (AKA tonight, because I live in a predominantly Latino neighbourhood).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

I kind of get the BO comment about cumin, its like two sides to the same smell... One is great, one is armpits.

In other news, I made almond butter for the first time today since almonds were real cheap at the store I go to, never buying almond butter again! Unless I'm at Costco.

What other nuts should I food process into delicious sandwich topping and smoothie additive? Added a pinch of salt and some maple syrup, so good. I'm probably going to head back to the store to buy more to freeze until next time since they're $4.99/lb, which is cheaper than I can usually buy them around here.

Cashew butter is excellent.

Cumin does not smell like armpit. Cumin is great. However, orange juice from concentrate, especially the cheaper stuff, tastes how body odour smells.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
If you ever want to make your kitchen look like one of Dexter Morgan's kill rooms, slice just one beet in half, then knock your cutting board off the counter.

After all that, I made beet greens. They taste like sand and sadness. I just told my fiancée to pick up a different side dish on her way home. Hopefully the currently roasting beets will be better.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

contrapants posted:

If you ever want to make your kitchen look like one of Dexter Morgan's kill rooms, slice just one beet in half, then knock your cutting board off the counter.

I found that my best attempt at turning my kitchen into Dexter Morgan's kill room was an accident while cleaning my immersion blender.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mine was making ketchup with a loosely lidded blender.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

A misstep with a tray full of peeled roasted beets that were going into an enormous vat of borscht.

It was like this, only with beets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWk3IeM4to

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I once exploded a Moka pot by forgetting to put the filter in. There's still coffee splatter on my ceiling.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

After all that, I made beet greens. They taste like sand and sadness. I just told my fiancée to pick up a different side dish on her way home. Hopefully the currently roasting beets will be better.

Beet greens alongside tasty tasty Radish greens, if you don't like the Kale/Mustard Green texture and flavor are really good as a pesto. Blend that poo poo up with some olive oil, garlic, nuts and some basil and it's a really delicious base.

You might have just been using older beet tops, they tend to get hard and bitter after a while. :shrug:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The only mess I can lay claim to is learning how to use my stand mixer. Do not fill a stand mixer bowl with dry ingredients and then turn it on high. On the bright side I got to just vacuum it all up!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

Beet greens alongside tasty tasty Radish greens, if you don't like the Kale/Mustard Green texture and flavor are really good as a pesto. Blend that poo poo up with some olive oil, garlic, nuts and some basil and it's a really delicious base.

You might have just been using older beet tops, they tend to get hard and bitter after a while. :shrug:

I may not have cleaned them well enough. I tried wilting them like spinach, but it didn't seem to work too well. They may have been old, though.

As for the beets themselves, I roasted them in a little canola oil and salted the exposed surfaces where I cut them. They are good, but honestly they taste just like canned beets. I undercooked mashed potatoes tonight, too, so I think I'm just having an off night.

I never cooked a beet before. I didn't give myself a stomach ache, so it could have been worse.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, just clean the greens better. And truth on mixing with radish greens. Radish greens are one of my favourite, and since they don't sell them in stores, one of the best parts of the garden for me. I mix them with chard, beet, turnip, spinach, lettuce, dandelion, lambsquarter, verdolaga, or any other green. Totally fantastic.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, just clean the greens better. And truth on mixing with radish greens. Radish greens are one of my favourite, and since they don't sell them in stores, one of the best parts of the garden for me. I mix them with chard, beet, turnip, spinach, lettuce, dandelion, lambsquarter, verdolaga, or any other green. Totally fantastic.

I was wondering where I can get radish greens. I haven't seen them before.

Are all greens edible like this? Are they all bitter? I thought some were toxic. Is it possible to turn them into tea?

I feel like I've been throwing out good food without knowing it all this time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

contrapants posted:

Are all greens edible like this? Are they all bitter? I thought some were toxic. Is it possible to turn them into tea?

you probably have been. all greens are edible. basically every non-poisonous plant is edible, you just have to decide if you like it.

I first started using radish greens a couple years ago when I signed up for a CSA, and started getting whole produce. not just like radish bulbs, but the sprouts and leafy greens from the tops. I think in trendy markets you can buy like 'radish sprouts' too or some poo poo, but you'll pay like $5 for 2 ounces of food.

all sort of other weeds and greens are edible though - like wiggles said dendelion is pretty good. carrot tops are fine to mix into a salad for some texture, beet greens, celery leaf (which is a huge favorite of mine right now!) - try finding the most leafy celery you can in a market, and just paring off the leafs and including in the next salad you make. pine nuts, roasted beets, celery leaves, golden raisins and some tart cheese is a favorite of mine, with a sweetish drizzle of dressing.

anyways just eat poo poo. if it comes on the plant, it's fine to eat. you might decide you like carrots with the skin on better, or that you can braise the heart of the cabbage you'd normally toss out with some bacon and stock and make a delicious stewed thing.

edit : I can't claim credit for this, but I ate at achatz's Next restaurant last year, and he made a consomme by charring corn husks over a grill and steeping in boiling water like tea for 15 minutes. (and seasoning with some sugar and salt). I tried it at home, poo poo tasted just like his dish, and I wonder now why the hell I've been throwing out corn husks all these years.

food is amazingly fun.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 18, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
By repeatedly watching Survivorman an unhealthy number of times, I knew humans can eat a tremendous number of things if we need to. I never expected any of it to actually taste good.

I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me. When's the next NICSA? :v:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Beet greens are hella good. Saute or carmelize some onions and garlics, throw in greens, maybe something savory like Braggs liquid aminos, hoison or soy sauce.

Beets roasted in canola oil :mad:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
The reference I used calls for olive oil, but I didn't have much on hand.

The same site told me how to cook the greens. That was completely my fault. I didn't clean them properly. I rinsed them and patten them dry. It looks like I have to clean them similar to leeks.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

mindphlux posted:

edit : I can't claim credit for this, but I ate at achatz's Next restaurant last year, and he made a consomme by charring corn husks over a grill and steeping in boiling water like tea for 15 minutes. (and seasoning with some sugar and salt). I tried it at home, poo poo tasted just like his dish, and I wonder now why the hell I've been throwing out corn husks all these years.

food is amazingly fun.

I've been adding charred husks and the scraped cobs into stock to make corn chowder. Really adds great depth of flavour. Also infused some charred husks in olive oil for a salad dressing. Corn is wonderful flavours.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cavenagh posted:

Also infused some charred husks in olive oil for a salad dressing. Corn is wonderful flavours.

That's cool, I wouldn't expect that oil would absorb the flavor much, might gotta give it a try.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cavenagh posted:

Also infused some charred husks in olive oil for a salad dressing.

Would doing the same using corn oil rather than olive oil be better or worse? Because the oil is already from corn, would the flavor even change at all aside from picking up some char flavor?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

dino. posted:

It's one thing if you're living somewhere rent-free, or if the rules were abundantly evident before you moved in. My mum rents out rooms, and makes it clear that she won't have meat in the house. If someone's not down with that, they both move on. However, it's abundantly clear from moment one about that situation.

Bingo. My boyfriend lives here and it's too expensive to live somewhere else. I have plans in the works to move out, but that's going to take time and I'm not willing to go meat-free or eat out most days just to get my meat on. So, I've managed to negotiate for back porch rights, which is generous from their point of view, so I'll take what I can get. Besides, who doesn't like cooking outdoors after dark in 50 degree drizzle? It'll let me get back to nature or something. I don't know. The fact that their rules are clearly stated and enforced doesn't make them any less ridiculous, it just also makes me kind of pathetic for not being able to afford anything else.

And no, they got rid of their cat but I have my bird (who is a vegetarian).

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

mindphlux posted:

That's cool, I wouldn't expect that oil would absorb the flavor much, might gotta give it a try.

Apologies, I used Grape Seed oil rather than Olive Oil (Corn Oil has a neutral flavour, so it wouldn't make things cornier. Unless it's unrefined when there's some corn taste left). I pulsed the very charred husks in the oil and let sit for a day, strained through a fine mesh, then whizzed up with some firm tofu to make a thicker dressing. If you find it lacking corn flavour, you could try adding some sauteed corn kernals to it when pulsing then straining the matter out. Next time I get some corn, I'm gonna try that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

greens own. like mindphlux said, even garden weeds are edible. like, a lot of them are edible. Mallow, dandelions, wild rocket, wild mustard, purslane, lambsquarter... At any given time a fallow field after a rain is overrun with all of these things.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cavenagh posted:

I've been adding charred husks and the scraped cobs into stock to make corn chowder. Really adds great depth of flavour. Also infused some charred husks in olive oil for a salad dressing. Corn is wonderful flavours.

Do you steep them and remove like tea or leave them in? My mom's got a bunch of corn kicking around and I was gonna make some chowder this afternoon.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I bought a couple chiles.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You're out of your mind.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In a good way.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I too buy ~$150 in chiles daily(at work)

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
50 gallons of salsa or bust.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There is a mouse

living inside my oven

:shepicide:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Every exposed part of my body is burning.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pfft, lightweight.

M42 posted:

There is a mouse

living inside my oven

:shepicide:

This is the perfect time to use the cleaning cycle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So anyway, just in case anyone was wondering, deciding to go back to college in your 30s to earn the degree you always really wanted is not the erudite and civilized bit of classical education that you imagined it would be. Rather, it is being thrown into an awful blender of terrible people with even more terrible opinions who make the comments section of youtube look like the Athenian Academy, with instructors who must teach to the lowest common denominator, and it is absolutely no fun at all at this stage.

Hopefully I will be able to test out of a lot of upcoming stuff and move directly to a master's program in a few years.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I am so erect I could hammer nails with my dick.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pfft, lightweight.

This is the perfect time to use the cleaning cycle.

It's actually in the space between the oven and the stovetop. There's a ton of wool insulation there which probably kept it from frying and makes good nesting material. I'm pretty sure the management's just gonna get me a new oven, mouse poo poo/nests 3 inches under my food has got to be some kind of biohazard.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So anyway, just in case anyone was wondering, deciding to go back to college in your 30s to earn the degree you always really wanted is not the erudite and civilized bit of classical education that you imagined it would be. Rather, it is being thrown into an awful blender of terrible people with even more terrible opinions who make the comments section of youtube look like the Athenian Academy, with instructors who must teach to the lowest common denominator, and it is absolutely no fun at all at this stage.

I finally finished my degree at around 30 and that's pretty much right except for a very few classes. It was definitely not the experience I expected.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

FishBulb posted:

I finally finished my degree at around 30 and that's pretty much right except for a very few classes. It was definitely not the experience I expected.
Yeah - I'm not sure why the popular discourse claims that 18-21 year olds ever have anything intelligent to say. I mean, why should they?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hopefully I will be able to test out of a lot of upcoming stuff and move directly to a master's program in a few years.

My husband is doing that now, and he turns 40 this year. There is a bit of frustration when he's assigned group work that no one else cares to do their part on, but mostly it's been ok. What's your degree going to be?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'll be 30 in two months and I'm going back to college next semester. :suicide:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

EVG posted:

My husband is doing that now, and he turns 40 this year. There is a bit of frustration when he's assigned group work that no one else cares to do their part on, but mostly it's been ok. What's your degree going to be?

History generally, seeing if I can get it specialized to agricultural and culinary history. I'd have to invent the program, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Just completed an army medic course and I'm starting to wonder if I should've been working in hospitals all these years instead of with computers :smithicide:

At least I can use it :unsmith: