Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so i finally wrote my own antialiased line drawer thingy; even though pygame has one already i wanted to do my own just to see if i could. mine is actually better because it can handle non-integer start and end pixel locations (as well as non-integer line width and feather width), which might come in handy for doing really smooth animations or something iunno. it's kind of slow but on the other hand what isn't slow in python

now i'm trying to make some sort of game of life knockoff with hexagonal cells

so woooo here's some antialiased blue hexagons

i haven't been able to get the CA to do anything particularly interesting yet but once i do i'll render a video of it

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

just received a small-business startup grant to build my county's first public electronics shop

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Unless posted:

just received a small-business startup grant to build my county's first public electronics shop

NICE!!!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Dec 26, 2012

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Unless posted:

the gently caress

thats awesome

my kickstarter to buy an oscilloscope to help build the yosvape got nixed as a 'fund my life' project
ugh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cistps: requirements for the degree of master of science have been completed

i guess i am a master now

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Jonny 290 posted:

the gently caress

thats awesome

my kickstarter to buy an oscilloscope to help build the yosvape got nixed as a 'fund my life' project
ugh

:(

i budgeted in for a 1052e and tektronix 2225, i'm really excited

grant came from my state's small business booster nonprofit

Bloody posted:

cistps: requirements for the degree of master of science have been completed

i guess i am a master now

fuckin' a, congrats! poo poo's relentless

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the gently caress

thats awesome

ugh

so on kickstarter you can't sell a product, because it's "donor gifts"
but you also can't solicit money without returning "gifts"

i'm starting to see how this works

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ol qwerty bastard posted:

got kind of bored of my 3d rendering poo poo so i put it aside for now

today i'm making pretty pictures using collatz numbers

I never seen collatz numbers like this, what exactly are you doing here?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I never seen collatz numbers like this, what exactly are you doing here?

ah, it's not really very number-theoric or anything; basically i made the function c(t) which is the number of iterations it takes a number t to collatz to 1, and then i can do things like take c[c(t)] or whatever; i don't remember what the specific rules were that i was using for each picture but something along the lines of

red = c[c(x value of pixel) + x value of pixel]
green = c[c(y value of pixel) + y value of pixel]
blue = c[red + green + x + y]

or whatever

just messing around really

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

oh yeah here's some hexagons doing stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuNf8A3MsA

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
cool screensaver

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Been working on a library to do Erlang debugging and inspecting to find problems in live nodes as they run, in ways that are production-safe under pretty much any load: http://ferd.github.io/recon/

I've built it from snippets I'd write in the Erlang shell to let me figure poo poo out, and eventually got a decent enough collection to build a small library. It contains things like being able to do absolute counts of busiest or most memory-consuming in-VM processes, or to do it over a sliding time window. It allows you to do the same over every socket or file descriptor opened, so that you can find big consumers/producers for bandwidth usage, or finding culprits for IO bottlenecks. It does poo poo like finding some cases of uncommon memory leaks and I'm currently working on functions that tell you memory is fragmented, and it lets you do live code loading across clusters.

It's absolutely unexciting, but it's making my life much easier at work when you get some weird unexpected behavior :unsmith:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yep this is peak not idiot project right here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey idiot spare time projectsers i have an idea but that idea is dependent on some very simple OCR/screenreading of a video stream, ideally from a live broadcast source such as youtube/twitch/whatever is this a thing that is doable if so where do i even start i have no idea what im doing thanks in advance

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

look into Processing maybe? see if there are libraries for decomposing video streams into individual frames, and for doing OCR; i'd bet there's stuff for that.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Bloody posted:

hey idiot spare time projectsers i have an idea but that idea is dependent on some very simple OCR/screenreading of a video stream, ideally from a live broadcast source such as youtube/twitch/whatever is this a thing that is doable if so where do i even start i have no idea what im doing thanks in advance

sure. most stream services have well-documented APIs intended to be used for building apps that embed their streams, and most popular languages have good OCR libraries available. just grab a frame every interval from the stream, feed it into the OCR lib, (hopefully) get a useful string out.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

excellent, excellent. next problem: i want to do database things from a c# app. every previous time ive used a db ive used some sort of orm. i dont know how to write sql more complex than select * from butts where farts = something or whatever. also i really like that orms easily give strongly-typed results. what database should i use (mssql because c#?) and how do i do things as strongly typed as possible?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
use entity framework

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am

now im all like 'oh god how do i properly define my model space' like if a butt has a fart and i might want that fart to know what butt it came from should i stick a butt in that fart and then that fart in a list of farts in that butt and then will this resolve sanely or do i need to deal with denormalization* more intelligently

*a word i have heard people use about databases

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If a Butt has one or multiple Farts then every Fart has a ButtID in the database with a foreign key relationship between them.

When you model this in EF then in C# a Butt class automatically has a collection of Fart objects in it, and likewise every Fart object has a link to its Butt.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so if i have like
public class Fart
{
public int FartId { get; set; }
public Butt FartOwner { get; set; }

}

and
public class Butt
{
public int ButtId { get; set; }
public string ButtName { get; set; }
public List<Fart> Farts { get; set; }
}

then im a-ok or??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

maybe it should be public int FartOwnerId in fart rather than a whole butt like i feel like that'd make sense for the database but then makes me do more effort to figure out the owning butt

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I haven't done code-first EF but in normal db-first EF when you import that table arrangement then you will get both the FartOwner and the FartOwnerId automatically created for you

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
yeah i stay away from relationship modeling in code-first EF, its always turned into a massive pain in the rear end with not enough control for me.

what i do instead is just model my entities as standalone objects in the db, and use a repository pattern and sql queries to do what i want. so if you needed to add a Fart to a Butt, the API looks like ButtRepository.AddFart(Fart fart); which just does the needful with the database.

if you really want to do the code first thing tho, you can do this:

code:

public class Fart
{
  public int FartId { get; set; }

[ForeignKey("FartOwner")]
  public int FartOwnerId { get; set; }
  public Butt FartOwner { get; set; }
}

Plastic Snake fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 28, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Entity framework looks p dumb. It should be able to looks at your properties at derive the correct schema so you don't have to fart around with ownerids and whatnot.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
it is dumb, that's why I said not to do it that way. much better to use it as a statement mapper.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Unless posted:

this owns

the coolest thing ive done recently is a lot of synths and not much else but i have been trying to start making a homemade 68k based machine for like a year....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yesterday's idiot spare time project: i fired up the unused foundry furnace in the corner of one of the shops and started recycling our aluminum scrap into ingots. goddamn that thing is awesome. you get it going with the blower running full blast and there's literally a tornado of fire shooting out the top, and everything inside is incandescent

fire good man

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sagebrush posted:

yesterday's idiot spare time project: i fired up the unused foundry furnace in the corner of one of the shops and started recycling our aluminum scrap into ingots. goddamn that thing is awesome. you get it going with the blower running full blast and there's literally a tornado of fire shooting out the top, and everything inside is incandescent

fire good man

this is intruiging as gently caress

http://www.amazon.ca/Build-Your-Met...=I1ZUC8GEM1UXVX

you start off with an aluminium storm door, some sand, an old vacuum cleaner, charcoal, some scrap wood, and gumption

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

did someone already post the guy who built a working replica of the apollo guidance computer in his basement?

if yes, tough poo poo because here it is anyway

http://klabs.org/history/build_agc/

It's a set of pdfs and the pictures are poo poo but it's a good read anyway

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

spankmeister posted:

did someone already post the guy who built a working replica of the apollo guidance computer in his basement?

if yes, tough poo poo because here it is anyway

http://klabs.org/history/build_agc/

It's a set of pdfs and the pictures are poo poo but it's a good read anyway

would do but :effort: :smith:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i posted this earlier but I was using someone else's markov generator which ended up sucking. just went ahead and wrote my own and significantly increased the amount of source material it's pulling from. its tweets are much better now

https://twitter.com/oracl_ebooks

edit: it started using the new algo in the past hour if you care about looking at the difference between the two

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MononcQc posted:

Been working on a library to do Erlang debugging and inspecting to find problems in live nodes as they run, in ways that are production-safe under pretty much any load: http://ferd.github.io/recon/

I've built it from snippets I'd write in the Erlang shell to let me figure poo poo out, and eventually got a decent enough collection to build a small library. It contains things like being able to do absolute counts of busiest or most memory-consuming in-VM processes, or to do it over a sliding time window. It allows you to do the same over every socket or file descriptor opened, so that you can find big consumers/producers for bandwidth usage, or finding culprits for IO bottlenecks. It does poo poo like finding some cases of uncommon memory leaks and I'm currently working on functions that tell you memory is fragmented, and it lets you do live code loading across clusters.

It's absolutely unexciting, but it's making my life much easier at work when you get some weird unexpected behavior :unsmith:

code:
> or.
syntax error before: 'or'
> or.
> or.
> or.
> or.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bought another radio-controlled airplane. everyone around me is getting into quadcopters and flying around in first-person video mode but choppers kind of terrify me tbh. also there's something inelegant about them, whipping the air around and poo poo, instead of working in harmony with it

so i got a glider frame to put a camera on and soar around, s'cool

Dec 26, 2012

half of the people buying quadcopters will gently caress up and crash them anyway because its pretty easy to do that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yah many of them already have. i had a rc helo years ago (like, real helicopter with a main and tail rotor and a cyclic/collective, not a quad or a toy) but i crashed it a bunch and every time i did the blades would gouge big divots out of the ground and it was p. scary. plus that guy in nyc kiled himself with his helicopter recently when it cut off his skull. so im gonna stay away from those

i have a little plane already but it's more of a stunt thing that always has to be on the power, like a chopper. i saw some videos of motor-gliders getting up to a couple hundred feet and then shutting off the motor and soaring for 20 minutes and it was super awesome so i'm gonna try that

the joys of being high income, single, no kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

yah many of them already have. i had a rc helo years ago (like, real helicopter with a main and tail rotor and a cyclic/collective, not a quad or a toy) but i crashed it a bunch and every time i did the blades would gouge big divots out of the ground and it was p. scary. plus that guy in nyc kiled himself with his helicopter recently when it cut off his skull. so im gonna stay away from those

i have a little plane already but it's more of a stunt thing that always has to be on the power, like a chopper. i saw some videos of motor-gliders getting up to a couple hundred feet and then shutting off the motor and soaring for 20 minutes and it was super awesome so i'm gonna try that

the joys of being high income, single, no kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oix6sHKzOLU