Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Speleothing posted:

It's easy to id the evil factions in the game, but the good guys are harder to highlight.

Yeah all of the gods and nations are some shade of "evil" by modern standards, just compare the Fountain of Blood's description text to the description of the outwardly more benign Oracle. All of the nations are trying to enslave free peoples and exterminate other faiths, there's no diplomatic or science victory and the world's mortal population will almost always drop dramatically over the course of a game, its cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah all of the gods and nations are some shade of "evil" by modern standards, just compare the Fountain of Blood's description text to the description of the outwardly more benign Oracle. All of the nations are trying to enslave free peoples and exterminate other faiths, there's no diplomatic or science victory and the world's mortal population will almost always drop dramatically over the course of a game, its cool

Well you could play a "good" god who has great scales, doesn't do things that would harm provincial pops, and doesn't willfully use basic human troops as little more than arrow/lance catchers.

You would also most likely get destroyed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Flavahbeast posted:

You can technically enable a science victory. I'm not sure why you would, but it's possible.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

So the way you go about blood hunting is much changed due to the new unrest mechanics. It's not nearly as easy to transition over to a full blood economy and flood the world with Ozelotls.

Since taxes can't be dropped to zero, you are going to have unrest. Probably a lot of it. But that's ok! Unrest reduction seems to scale with your current unrest, ie you will lose more unrest per turn at 100 than you would with 10. After messing around with it a bit, it feels like two B1's with an SDR are optimal for slave production. Order scales are pretty useful as is a moderate PD investment (20 for the -2 is affordable). Dominion also seems to have an effect as I reliably had more unrest in provinces under enemy dominion, so be sure to spread your lovely Mictlan scales around as well as you can.

It took roughly 3-4 years to get a nice blood income going on my last attempt when I really felt like I had the process down. I had less slaves than I would have had at the same point in dom3. However it was more than made up for by the fact that B9F9 is loving brutal when you have massed eagle/jaguar warriors with Ozelotls. Flying multiattackers with fire weapons, +4 STR, and blood vengeance :getin:

B9 is extremely good and fucks over a lot of the normal Mictlan counters. Just don't let your mages cast area combat spells.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 19, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
gently caress shark tribe tritons. :argh:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finally took the dive and bought Dom3 for dirt cheap on Steam just to prepare myself for Dom4. I've read enough LPs at this point to be familiar with the premise, but holy poo poo choice paralysis Batman.

Is there like, a newbie checklist or something? By about the second year, there's so much to do or think about that I end up either forgetting to site search, forge equipment, scout, recruit Priests for blesses, etc. There's just so much going on. You don't get the full brunt of the complexity by reading LPs, that's for drat sure.

I decided to go ahead with EA C'tis as my "Learn the drat game you dunce" nation. The wiki and online guides seem conflicted as to what Pretender build to go with. Strong affinity for Death magic suggests taking an Awake SC and racing up the Ench/Conj/Const trees to pour undead onto the field and kit on Banes for Commander killin'. Am I far off? The sacred troops for EA C'tis are loving clownshoes so no go on a bless.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 19, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You're pretty much right. The standard choices for Ctis are an SC to fend off rushes or fairly pure scales, maybe a minor E for your commanders. LA Ctis gets D/F naturally on the Sauromancer and they become sacred, so raining down (unresistable) Banefire on everything everywhere is a good addition to the classic "wall of undead".
Lots of people would go Sphinx in Vanilla Dom3 - get E for Hammers and high S for Wish. Depending on your Mod choices, that may still be a great option.

Someone, I think Lilli, posted a little folding wallet-sized turn checklist & general advice card a long time ago.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 19, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You certainly don't need an SC on C'tis, but any nation can get a boost from one. I'd personally go with a dormant lab mage.

As for newbie checklist:
1. Don't recruit indep troops, you want nationals from your forts in 99% of situations.
2. Do recruit indep commanders and scouts, especially in Dom3, you want mages from your forts in 99% of situations.
3. Spend gold order is usually mages > troops = forts, but of course there are exceptions especially in early game when you might skip a mage for expansion parties or skip mages/troops to start fort #1 or #2. What I mean though is you don't have to recruit troops all the time especially after turn 12 or so.
4. A strong and directed research plan is the best thing but it's hard when you have no idea what anything does. Still, try. You want battlemagic your mages can use, thug chassis and equipments, sitesearching spells in your paths, and an endgame plan involving army buffs or supercombatants or both. Sometimes you'll rush a particular "nuclear weapons" spell like Flaming Arrows or Darkness, if it works for your nation.
5. In the unmodded game there are in fact literally worthless troops, so take a good hard look at the stats of your troops and their weapons and armors so you don't get fooled into thinking pikes do something special (dom3 advice, dom4 is different).

C'tis for example, you basically want a shielded and an unshielded troop; unshielded you don't want anything but the Elite Warrior or possibly Slave Warrior if you have no res. 6 attacks per square, both at 12 att, and the trident + strength does 18 damage, and they have good morale. Shielded there's not much to choose between the units, because shields in dom3 deflect arrows entirely, however the Heavy Infantry is mapmove 1 which'll hamstring your armies. I'd personally buy City Guard, but not in large quantities.

As for what's worthless, the Falchioneer looks nice but he takes a 2-weapon penalty that isn't offset by his ambidextrous, so he can't hit poo poo.

And your research plan sounds good, raise skeleton spam, then banes or bane lords with frost brand+vine shield. E3 on the pretender for a few Dwarven Hammer is a pretty normal choice. You have paths for Clam of Pearls, but it's completely unnecessary against AI and against humans it's modded out, and removed entirely in Dom4. I personally like N4 on most Dom3 nations for the option of a regen bless through Shroud of the Battle Saint, but it's really a personal pick and not optimal for C'tis at all.

You do know about the "n" key to go to next idle commander, right?

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 19, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Lot of nations now have national troops that don't require forts or get special recruits from terrain. Pythium is a good example.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

TheDemon posted:

You certainly don't need an SC on C'tis, but any nation can get a boost from one. I'd personally go with a dormant lab mage.

As for newbie checklist:
1. Don't recruit indep troops, you want nationals from your forts in 99% of situations.
2. Do recruit indep commanders and scouts, especially in Dom3, you want mages from your forts in 99% of situations.
3. Spend gold order is usually mages > troops = forts, but of course there are exceptions especially in early game when you might skip a mage for expansion parties or skip mages/troops to start fort #1 or #2. What I mean though is you don't have to recruit troops all the time especially after turn 12 or so.
4. A strong and directed research plan is the best thing but it's hard when you have no idea what anything does. Still, try. You want battlemagic your mages can use, thug chassis and equipments, sitesearching spells in your paths, and an endgame plan involving army buffs or supercombatants or both. Sometimes you'll rush a particular "nuclear weapons" spell like Flaming Arrows or Darkness, if it works for your nation.
5. In the unmodded game there are in fact literally worthless troops, so take a good hard look at the stats of your troops and their weapons and armors so you don't get fooled into thinking pikes do something special (dom3 advice, dom4 is different).

C'tis for example, you basically want a shielded and an unshielded troop; unshielded you don't want anything but the Elite Warrior or possibly Slave Warrior if you have no res. 6 attacks per square, both at 12 att, and the trident + strength does 18 damage, and they have good morale. Shielded there's not much to choose between the units, because shields in dom3 deflect arrows entirely, however the Heavy Infantry is mapmove 1 which'll hamstring your armies. I'd personally buy City Guard, but not in large quantities.

As for what's worthless, the Falchioneer looks nice but he takes a 2-weapon penalty that isn't offset by his ambidextrous, so he can't hit poo poo.

And your research plan sounds good, raise skeleton spam, then banes or bane lords with frost brand+vine shield. E3 on the pretender for a few Dwarven Hammer is a pretty normal choice. You have paths for Clam of Pearls, but it's completely unnecessary against AI and against humans it's modded out, and removed entirely in Dom4. I personally like N4 on most Dom3 nations for the option of a regen bless through Shroud of the Battle Saint, but it's really a personal pick and not optimal for C'tis at all.

You do know about the "n" key to go to next idle commander, right?

Oh yeah I've read the OP over and over, so I have at least a basic understanding of keystrokes and early game strategy. I just lose it completely by midgame. I think it's just because I'm completely unfamiliar with the intricacies of the units and magic. Like, maybe I research Evocation high enough to do Shadow Blast. I load up some Sauromancers with some Death Gems and think "Yeah this'll be fuckin' great let's go you bunch of Goombas." I send three Sauromancers with my army to fight, script them to cast Shadow Blast a couple times, set them up right behind the arrow catchers, and watch the magic happen!

Except it doesn't. I'm still learning the ins and outs so for right now it's hard to formulate a strategy that actually works. So far the game is a blast, though. And yeah I figured out that Falchioneers are worthless.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Cloud of Death and Nether Darts are the premier Evo spells. Disintegrate (level 8 Alt) is also pretty good, especially on your assassins.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

TheDemon posted:

Note that this advice is pretty useless when you go to Dom4 - the slave/elite warriors got nerfed down to 9 morale, and can no longer be relied on to do anything before breaking.
can

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kenlon posted:

Note that this advice is pretty useless when you go to Dom4 - the slave/elite warriors got nerfed down to 9 morale, and can no longer be relied on to do anything before breaking.
can

I figured that'd be the case. I'm just trying to get a handle on the mechanics and complexity of the game before I go diving into Dom4. I suppose it would have been wiser to just wait but I had spare Steambux and Dom3 was super cheap.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The slave warriors get 13 morale if they're lead by a taskmaster.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

amuayse posted:

The slave warriors get 13 morale if they're lead by a taskmaster.

So taskmaster is +2 morale per level? Interesting. You're still having to waste fort turns on them, though. They would be a good candidate for being recruitable in non-fortified provinces - maybe restricted to swamps? Might make slave troops worthwhile again.

EDIT: I just checked. Taskmaster is only +1 per level. Elite Warriors that you just recruited and assigned to a taskmaster will show up as morale 13 - +2 for taskmaster, +1 for friendly dominion, +1 for home province.

So back on the poo poo pile they go. Leading with Lizard Kings is flat out better.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 19, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kenlon posted:

So taskmaster is +2 morale per level? Interesting. You're still having to waste fort turns on them, though. They would be a good candidate for being recruitable in non-fortified provinces - maybe restricted to swamps? Might make slave troops worthwhile again.

EDIT: I just checked. Taskmaster is only +1 per level. Elite Warriors that you just recruited and assigned to a taskmaster will show up as morale 13 - +2 for taskmaster, +1 for friendly dominion, +1 for home province.

So back on the poo poo pile they go. Leading with Lizard Kings is flat out better.

Commanders with special abilities like taskmaster don't feel as wasteful as national commanders did in 3. Also if you are a nation like Mictlan who has forest survival on mages and nationals, recuiting national commanders who also have forest survival is very worth it.

Taskmasters with a 5 gem whip for more morale can turn slaves into a very hard to break chaff wall.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

:cool:

amuayse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 19, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The right thing to do in this instance is to give him the new unique armour set, since his unit description claimed he just showed up with whatever was at home.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Billy Bob Joe, Demon Lord of Skull Moutain :black101:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Stats?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

TheDemon posted:

As for newbie checklist:
This is perhaps the most helpful thing I've seen since picking this game up.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I put him to good use. His goats sadly did not survive.

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
Anyone know what those dark red 0s and 1s you sometimes see during battle replays symbolize?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Means your guys are bleedin out.

allroy
Oct 3, 2003

Allroy for Prez
Ok, I realize this is probably a complete noob question but here goes:

I've conquered the entire landmass however there is basically an island at the south end of the map where some damned infidels are holed up and I can't get to them. HOW I GET TO THEM AND DESTROY!!!!!!!!!!?!!?!?

Slightly more info:

Playing as Hinnom, my pretender is a Earth 9 Nature 5. I'm using tons and tons of chariots and pretty much just murdering the AI whenever I encounter it.

allroy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 19, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

allroy posted:

Ok, I realize this is probably a complete noob question but here goes:

I've conquered the entire landmass however there is basically an island at the south end of the map where some damned infidels are holed up and I can't get to them. HOW I GET TO THEM AND DESTROY!!!!!!!!!!?!!?!?

Slightly more info:

Playing as Hinnom, my pretender is a Earth 9 Nature 5. I'm using tons and tons of chariots and pretty much just murdering the AI whenever I encounter it.

Build an Astral or Air based supercombatant and teleport/cloud trapeze them into the province.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Alternatively, forge some items for your commanders that let your troops breathe underwater and hoof it over there. Should be some in Air and Water paths around Const 4 or 6.

allroy
Oct 3, 2003

Allroy for Prez
Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You mean to tell me that you've left the oceans free from your tyranny message of hope? Barrels of Air! Your noble armies should not fear the waves!

Spread the good word! Coastal temples bringing human sacrifice hope to the tritons and mermen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

amuayse posted:

I put him to good use. His goats sadly did not survive.

Dude had some pretty badass gear in his barn.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is the only way to patch the game to redownload the new client from Desura?

allroy
Oct 3, 2003

Allroy for Prez
Edit: sorry phone app double posted

allroy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 20, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Moon Monster posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of goats. It's such a great feeling to wake up in the morning, knowing you can step out of bed, get a cup of coffee and there are your goats... you are at work. You don't have to put on a suit or put on a uniform. The best way to learn about goats is to visit a goat farm or ranch. Find one near you in our goat ranch guide which includes everything you need to know about the industry: how to get your business started, the financial aspect, maintenance and care, and so much more. To order your guide scry 1-800-GOD-GOAT.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of goats. It's such a great feeling to wake up in the morning, knowing you can step out of bed, get a cup of coffee and there are your goats... you are at work. You don't have to put on a suit or put on a uniform. The best way to learn about goats is to visit a goat farm or ranch. Find one near you in our goat ranch guide which includes everything you need to know about the industry: how to get your business started, the financial aspect, maintenance and care, and so much more. To order your guide scry 1-800-GOD-GOAT.

Dude sells premium goats for entrail divination. Do you think he wouldn't know about the best gear around?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

The Moon Monster posted:

Considering the poor man lives in a world where you might one day be calmly shepherding goats and the next a giant wants to eat your village and your goats. If you're lucky, if you're not some priest with a bloody stick shows up and starts executing people looking for virgins to sacrifice, or suddenly an iron dragon swoops in and starts killing things, or vine men crawl from the forest, or pirates attack. If you want to stay in business as a goatheard, you better have some badass gear, or some uppity witch is going to flay your flesh off your body and steal your goats.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
So I tested archers against the blood9 bless.
I had about a hundred jags guarding a commander and a couple of hundred archers with flaming arrows shooting them.
All casualties are from blood vengeance.
This is with mr9 bakemono.

And mr 10 bandits.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
Wonder how much the numbers Change with an N9B9 bless...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Korwin posted:

Wonder how much the numbers Change with an N9B9 bless...

Somehow I doubt they'd change too much. A9B9 might work a tad better; your mages are more accurate and less likely to snipe jaguars, your jaguars are highly resistant to arrows, and you get the benefits of blood vengeance.

Edit: vv I meant in general, not in this specific test. My point is that A9 gives a very tangible benefit to things other than just jaguar warriors.

Edit Edit: I'm also a moron and just realized that you meant blood vengeance damage, and not a bless for Mictlan in general. Ignore me.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 20, 2013

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
???
There where no mages in the test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I finally got this (the new one, anyway).

• Locked thread