Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Check out the new Rev'It jeans, they're a little cheaper, decent style with armor, and you can (or will be able to) get them in the US without hassle

Whoa, those jeans are way awesome and almost $100 cheaper. But I'll have to wait until early November. I just bit the bullet and bought the straight leg Maple jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Another jeans options I just found out about : http://leananglejeans.com/
no crazy stitching from what I can see

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I have some Drayko Renegade jeans that I like a lot. I've heard rumors that they have or had some connection with Draggin Jeans in Australia. They're very comfortable, made of a slightly stretchy fabric which is great for riding comfort, and they breathe well and aren't hot. They have a bit of reinforcement stitching around the knees, but it's really not obvious at all and overall they look like regular jeans, albeit without any sick fadez. They are one of the only jeans that are CE approved or certified, too. No built-in armor, though (which I don't think is a huge deal since it's often cheap or doesn't fit right), but they should provide outstanding abrasion resistance. So, comfortable, highly-protective jeans that look normal for only like $130.

Edit: Here's a link: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/drayko-renegade-riding-jeans

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 11, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kaliber posted:

Whoa, those jeans are way awesome and almost $100 cheaper. But I'll have to wait until early November. I just bit the bullet and bought the straight leg Maple jeans.

Awesome! Post photos of them when you get them, and how you sized them.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm 6'1" and 147 lbs.

That's funny, all the gear I try on feels ogre sized... (Alpinestars and Dainese jackets fit me fine, mostly.)

UK's "BIKE" magazine did a gear company by body type article a year or so ago. It had riders of different body types and which gear meshed up to which body type. I gave away the issue can't remember much except A* and Dainese were definitely better for thin folks. :smith: I really wish US motorcycle magazines were as good as their UK counterparts.

clutchpuck posted:

I imagine they aren't raised on a steady diet of BGH like we red-blooded muricans are.

Lucky bastards.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
edit: gently caress, double post.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
I bought my leather pants in a women's long size because they were 1/6 of the price of the men's version. The fact that they fit like a glove(and probably better than the smallest men's size would have) was a bonus. It even has the zipper on the men's side. :hellyeah:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Snowdens Secret posted:

Check out the new Rev'It jeans, they're a little cheaper, decent style with armor, and you can (or will be able to) get them in the US without hassle

Wow, at $200-279 price you can practically pick up their over-pants for the same deal. Hell, it's tempting to pay a little more and maybe get leathers if you dont have them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

CheeseSpawn posted:

Wow, at $200-279 price you can practically pick up their over-pants for the same deal. Hell, it's tempting to pay a little more and maybe get leathers if you dont have them.

Yeah, I think between the Daineses and the new Rev'its the jeans prices are getting a little out of hand - I told Revzilla that in their little contest submission thing. On the other hand, with knee and optional hip armor and whatever kevlar weave they're using it looks pretty close in street protection to conventional textile moto pants (at around that price) with a look better suited to all-day wear at the office or watering hole.

I've looked for leather pants and haven't found the sweet spot between Rossi-wannabe pucked racers and Judas Priest cosplay with little protection. The Dainese 66s? seem to be the closest - I've tried Aliens, they're super nice in a riding position, but tons of money and oddly purple-shaded in person.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Did someone here order a pair of the Maple Moto jeans?

Posted on their FB because it's been 3 days and I still haven't gotten word on if they shipped the pants or not and this is one of the replies I got from a customer.

quote:

Good luck with that! I ordered mine on the 29th of April... Still waiting. There have been a lot of update videos (each excusing the missed deadlines set out in the previous one) to keep us 'in the loop'.
At this stage all i know is that Mr. Fairbairn has had my money for nearly 5 months. He has moved his family around the world with it, has gone on a American style motorcycle adventure with it, and I've yet to show anything for the £250 spent. I asked for a refund 24 hours ago and got an automated email to say he is to busy to get to everyones emails personally.
I really hope this gets resolved soon and doesn't drag on anymore.
The fact that maple has apparently been taking orders and money over the past couple of months, without informing the customers about huge delays, and that they don't have a production facility (ie no product) is a bit concerning.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 13, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kaliber posted:

Did someone here order a pair of the Maple Moto jeans?

Posted on their FB because it's been 3 days and I still haven't gotten word on if they shipped the pants or not and this is one of the replies I got from a customer.

I got this form letter in reply to an email enquiry I sent:

quote:

Thanks for reaching out!

I’ve got a confession to make.   Maple is currently experiencing what I like to call “Good Problems”.

Problem - I’m afraid that I can’t personally keep up with the rate of emails coming in.

Good Problem – The demand for Maple Jeans is so great that I am having to bring in some support to make sure your questions are answered, and we can continue to provide a high level of service.

Here’s what this means to you.  I am working on bringing in some help to try to resolve the "Good Problems", however these things take time.  In the mean time, it may take me longer than usual to answer your email.

You need to know that your email is important to me, and I want to make sure that you get the answers you require, it might just take a little longer than wanted.

Thank you for understanding.

Ride safe

Dave Fairbairn
Managing Director
Maple Motorcycle Jeans

I didn't follow up and haven't heard back.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Awesome.

http://www.maplemoto.com/pages/september-update

And there's no stock at all. Did a dispute with paypal. Calling the bank tomorrow to get my drat money back. gently caress that dude for not informing anyone that fat gently caress has nothing in stock and that there's people who been waiting since April.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 13, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Someone talk me out of getting a Schuberth helmet.

Back story! Took my awesome 1800 mile norther New Mexico tour with my father back a week or two ago and he has one. loving thing has built in comms, pipes your cellphone into it for music or directions. Seems goddamned nice. My little Roof is comfy as all gently caress but I lack all of these marvelous modern innovations.

So yeah, my Roof could literally not fit me any better, and there is nowhere in it to add a earpiece or anything, I looked into it and I'd have to go carving on the innards which I refuse to do, so the option is retain my outrageously comfy and fighter pilot-esque lid and be content with hours and hours and hours of wind-noise and silence to occupy me; or to sell out and get the Schuberth and then jam out to all manner of audio stimuli as I go about my merry way.

Also the Schuberth is like 550 bucks, it's a goddamned expensive helmet.

So quick!! Tell me horror stories to dissuade me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Back story! Took my awesome 1800 mile norther New Mexico tour with my father back a week or two ago and he has one. loving thing has built in comms, pipes your cellphone into it for music or directions. Seems goddamned nice. My little Roof is comfy as all gently caress but I lack all of these marvelous modern innovations.

So yeah, my Roof could literally not fit me any better, and there is nowhere in it to add a earpiece or anything, I looked into it and I'd have to go carving on the innards which I refuse to do, so the option is retain my outrageously comfy and fighter pilot-esque lid and be content with hours and hours and hours of wind-noise and silence to occupy me; or to sell out and get the Schuberth and then jam out to all manner of audio stimuli as I go about my merry way.

I was set on getting one a while ago, but the fit is a bit like a Shoei RF/XR only with a more pronounced pressure point on my forehead. It's also heavy as hell. No amount of internal visor can compensate for good fit. If you want audio while you ride, get a pair of Sennheiser CX300/400ii earbuds (I like them because they sit flush in your ear with no protrusions and have good sound and good noise isolation), or whatever the go-to Shure or Etymotic recommendation is from others, and wear them under your comfortable cool looking lid.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PadreScout posted:

Sena smh10 + headphones.

Horror story? I once saw a halfmoon of blood and teeth from a harley rider going into a wall with an open face helmet.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Z3n posted:

Sena smh10 + headphones.

Horror story? I once saw a halfmoon of blood and teeth from a harley rider going into a wall with an open face helmet.

Maybe that hardley guy should have bought the Schuberth.

Also, that's really gross. People getting hurt is bad ju-ju.

Though, I have decided to invest in a pair of earbuds, I'm moderately certain I can get them to stay in my ears if I pull outwards on my chin straps as I yank the helmet on.

Also, so I feel like I have a new lid.. IRIDIUM VISOR!!!!! That poo poo's shiny, yo. I'll look like a bad-rear end robot.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

I once saw a halfmoon of blood and teeth from a harley rider going into a wall with an open face helmet.

That was his Freedom Grin(r)

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I'm gearing up to not be a giant wuss this upcoming fall. So far I have heated grips installed, hand guards on order to deflect the wind, and a rev'it sand jacket with liners. This morning it was 48 and it was a very grumpy 36 mile commute.

I ride a Honda 599/hornet which is a naked bike so no wind protection. I just picked up a shark s700 which is pretty awesome except that when the wind is blowing I get a blast of air up through the neck and straight into my eyes. It sucks. So first step is getting a wind deflector for the helmet. Next, I have a klim neck gator that honestly doesn't do much. Needs a scarf to go with it. Where I fail is in the glove department. I need a recommendation on the best riding gloves for cold weather.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Terminus Est posted:

I'm gearing up to not be a giant wuss this upcoming fall. So far I have heated grips installed, hand guards on order to deflect the wind, and a rev'it sand jacket with liners. This morning it was 48 and it was a very grumpy 36 mile commute.

I ride a Honda 599/hornet which is a naked bike so no wind protection. I just picked up a shark s700 which is pretty awesome except that when the wind is blowing I get a blast of air up through the neck and straight into my eyes. It sucks. So first step is getting a wind deflector for the helmet. Next, I have a klim neck gator that honestly doesn't do much. Needs a scarf to go with it. Where I fail is in the glove department. I need a recommendation on the best riding gloves for cold weather.

For very cold weather, ie below freezing, or just above and raining, the warmest, driest gloves I've used are actually Burton AK Gore-tex snowboarding gloves. Decent feel too. With grip heaters and wind deflectors you should be fine with decent ordinary winter riding gloves (a*, dainese, whatever) though.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
There's a retailer that sells Rev'it gear I want to hit up for those armored jeans, but at almost 300 a pair that's more than what I paid for my entire set of gear I currently use. Is there really no other cheaper alternatives that actually have armor and are worth a poo poo?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

BotchedLobotomy posted:

There's a retailer that sells Rev'it gear I want to hit up for those armored jeans, but at almost 300 a pair that's more than what I paid for my entire set of gear I currently use. Is there really no other cheaper alternatives that actually have armor and are worth a poo poo?

Slider 3.0 jeans rate very good. I have a pair of the Khaki version and I love them, very comfy.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Terminus Est posted:

I need a recommendation on the best riding gloves for cold weather.

I got stuck in a downpour on the way home with temps in the low 50's. Said gently caress it and bought a pair of these:

Racer Elevate Goretex gloves. Bring it cold lovely weather.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Terminus Est posted:

I need a recommendation on the best riding gloves for cold weather.

I've got a pair of Rjays Tornado Gloves that seem to work pretty well. They secure pretty well around the sleeves of your jacket and kept my hands bone dry on the one time it's been raining since I got my license. Haven't had a chance to test them out in the cold yet but they seem warmer than the gloves I used on my bicycle and those were fine at -15C.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I currently use a pair of Dianese Jericho's for when its cold/wet.

However, when I'm travelling on long trips, ie weeks at a time, I find once they get properly wet, such as a few hours in constant rain or a heavy storm, they stay wet and they become nearly impossible to put on. In fact, due to the liner material, even having damp hands can make it difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations for gloves that can deal with this kind of punishment? Either by drying out quickly, staying dryer longer, etc?

I also find that the gauntlet style is tricky to decide how to wear with my Klim Badlands jacket, as in over or under the sleeve. I opt for glove over jacket because of ease, but it seems like you cant win. Either way you have the jacket draining into the glove or the glove draining into the jacket :/

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Hippo hands, heated grips, and regular gloves. Possibly heated gloves.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

devians posted:

I also find that the gauntlet style is tricky to decide how to wear with my Klim Badlands jacket, as in over or under the sleeve. I opt for glove over jacket because of ease, but it seems like you cant win. Either way you have the jacket draining into the glove or the glove draining into the jacket :/

It seems like a no win situation. My rev'it sand jacket essentially dictates that gloves go under the jacket as the cuff is too big for the gauntlet to go over. The nice thing is that the waterproof liner is easy to get in the gauntlet so I don't get water running up my arm. What does suck is that my jacket gets completely soaked through to the liner.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Z3n posted:

Sena smh10 + headphones.

I have the SMH10 with wired earpiece and I cannot, for the life of me, get it loud enough to hear with properly inserted earplugs at 65 mph in my Shoei RF-1000. Is my lid really that loud? I've tried moving the speakers around too. They're currently right behind the hole of my ear and partially covered by the cheekpad. I do think my helmet is just slightly too large, but the Medium gave me a huge headache from the moment I tried it on.

I'm HIGHLY considering getting some excellent quality earbuds and this kit http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A030...words=Sena+SMH. I'll hold on to the other base in case I find a helmet that I can hear the speakers with. Then I could switch between two helmets seamlessly while keeping one SMH10 unit.

Shanky
Jan 22, 2002

For the Sena kit, I would recommend getting just the main module and the earbud adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Sena-Module-Power-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B008R0LF9K/
https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0304-Earbuds-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B003YD0YTM/
No manual, but you can download the pdf anyway.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I have the SMH10 with wired earpiece and I cannot, for the life of me, get it loud enough to hear with properly inserted earplugs at 65 mph in my Shoei RF-1000. Is my lid really that loud? I've tried moving the speakers around too. They're currently right behind the hole of my ear and partially covered by the cheekpad. I do think my helmet is just slightly too large, but the Medium gave me a huge headache from the moment I tried it on.

I've got the same rig and yeah, the speakers are a little anemic with plugs in. Though as I'm mostly daily commuting and either my bike is quiet enough or I'm already hearing damanged enough that I don't wear plugs unless I'm going a long distance.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Today, I learned that none of my waterproof gear is waterproof for more than a few blocks in the middle of a downpour.

That's an exaggeration. My boots (Sidi something air), gloves (Held somethingoranothers), and jacket (Olympia mesh) were soaked. The liner that came with the jacket kept my torso pretty dry, but water seeped in around my forearms and the hem of my shirt. The Olympia pants liner I was wearing did a good job protecting my crotch and legs, but let in a little bit of water around my calves.

All in all a good experience, especially being the hardest rain I've ever ridden in. I should pick up some Frogg Toggs, however, and just keep them in my top box for when the going gets tough again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Today, I learned that none of my waterproof gear is waterproof for more than a few blocks in the middle of a downpour.

That's an exaggeration. My boots (Sidi something air), gloves (Held somethingoranothers), and jacket (Olympia mesh) were soaked. The liner that came with the jacket kept my torso pretty dry, but water seeped in around my forearms and the hem of my shirt. The Olympia pants liner I was wearing did a good job protecting my crotch and legs, but let in a little bit of water around my calves.

All in all a good experience, especially being the hardest rain I've ever ridden in. I should pick up some Frogg Toggs, however, and just keep them in my top box for when the going gets tough again.

I had a similar experience on my bicycle two summers ago. Went out and bought the nicest rainsuit at the crappy discount store (~$40), which is quite hot in the summer, but does do a drat good job of keeping the rain off. For shorter rides/less intense rain I'll just deal with what I get through my mesh gear in the summer though.

My friend loaned me his Frogg Toggs and I have yet to try them (he couldn't find the pants), but they're a lot lighter and pack smaller than the regular rainsuit. The boot covers in particular seem pretty neat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shanky posted:

For the Sena kit, I would recommend getting just the main module and the earbud adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0304-Earbuds-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B003YD0YTM/

Yeah, this. It seems to really vary on a person to person basis if the design of the helmet and where the speakers end up works for their ears.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
It's starting to get cold and wet so I got me some goretex:

Man does it feel totally different to ride with these, I normally use my five year old, worn out and oh so comfortable and perfectly fitting Dainese leathers but I don't want to freeze my fingers.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Shanky posted:

Do the sena bluetooth fit everything? I have a HJC CL-MAX 2 and the bluetooth that goes with it is a chatterbox? And those run like 200 bucks. I guess what I'm asking is if all bluetooth are the same size?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

chia posted:

It's starting to get cold and wet so I got me some goretex:

Man does it feel totally different to ride with these, I normally use my five year old, worn out and oh so comfortable and perfectly fitting Dainese leathers but I don't want to freeze my fingers.

Looking to get some cold weather gloves on the cheap. I currently roll with a pair of normal winter gauntlets and some liners, but looking to get something that offers more protection.

All the really nice gloves are like $150+ ... man I'm too cheap for that. Anybody have experience with these?
http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-scarab-winter-gloves

Shanky
Jan 22, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

Do the sena bluetooth fit everything? I have a HJC CL-MAX 2 and the bluetooth that goes with it is a chatterbox? And those run like 200 bucks. I guess what I'm asking is if all bluetooth are the same size?

The earbud piece is the receiver unit. It just clamps between the outside of your helmet and the shell. Here is a video how to install.

The Sena unit is not compatible with chatterbox. None of them are cross platform.

With modular helmets. I guess you need to get creative to make sure the cables reach. A friend of mine has a modular helmet and uses the Sena shm10. He uses the boom mic instead of the small hidden velcro.

My links are a cheaper way to get the unit and earbud adapter. If you order the entire package you get some speakers that you can velcro into your helmet but they suck and I always ride with earbuds. The earbuds do not come with the retail packaging.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Boot question.

Does anybody have any experience with Fly Maverik boots? Here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-racing-maverik-mx-boots-2012

I need new boots for primarily street riding, but I want the protection of off-road boots and the ability to occasionally get into some poo poo. I know one issue a lot of people seem to have with MX boots on street bikes is the whole shifter position and feedback, but my years with a pair of Dr Martens industrial steel toes makes me think that won't be much of an issue for me.

I've also looked into the sport-touring/adventure boots that most of the big gear sites have and they're all either out of my price range or look too much like cop boots.

edit: I also like the Icon Elsinore's, but I'm not paying $250 for the issues that so many people seem to have with them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I looked at boots like that (and those in particular) last time I needed a pair of riding boots.

Full height MX boots like that go up really high (like almost knee-high, definitely overkill-high) and they're bulky. Also not waterproof; that type of boot will direct water from puddles "away" from the inside of the boot, but in the rain your feet will get wet. They're not particularly well-suited for street riding but I'm sure they can be made to work if you are motivated enough.

If you're looking for the rigidity of an MX boot but for riding a street bike, check out some shorty offroad boots. I run the Fox Comp 5s boots, they have a lot of ankle protection for the price and they've held together well for the past 20k mi or so and I use them for double-duty (road touring and offroad injuries).

Other shortys: Fly Maverick ATV boots (similar to the ones you linked but lower and I think they have lug soles), Alpinestars Tech 2, O'Neal Shorty 2, and Gaerne GMX. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-0-0-0-0-24-1-1

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've been using Alpinestars SMX 5 Waterproof Boots and they seem to hold up fairly well in the rain. The boots are too wide for me to put my pants over the outside but I haven't had any issues with water running down into the boots in the half hour or so I've been out in the rain. They are very stiff until you break them in and the soles are very smooth, so you need grippy pegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Halo_4am posted:

Looking to get some cold weather gloves on the cheap. I currently roll with a pair of normal winter gauntlets and some liners, but looking to get something that offers more protection.

All the really nice gloves are like $150+ ... man I'm too cheap for that. Anybody have experience with these?
http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-scarab-winter-gloves

Posted this many times but with cold / wet weather gloves you really get what you pay for. The cheaper you go, the sloppier / bulkier the liners are, the worse your hands will breathe and the more they'll get clammy sweaty - the cheapest ones are almost like wearing rubber safety gloves. If you can get Gore-Tex it is absolutely worth it.

I've tried on the Scarabs and they seemed nice but they're thin for winter gloves. It's a sporty fit but I'm not sure how they'd hold up in much cold or rain.