Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Making King of the Hill characters as sprites is kind of tough, since if you go for a direct translation you have maybe a three-color palette that looks lazy, but anything too different (really scaled down, a lot of shading) is disingenuous to the original style. Either way, boyaintright.png

Ended up drawing the much-paler, frowny early seasons Bobby rather than his chipper usual self and just kinda went with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011
I mostly finished the walls for my set, and tested putting together a little thing. Gunna start working on some creatures that aren't skeletons.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Does anyone have any tips on making skies that don't look like a huge pile of utter poo poo?

From googling around, it looks like most pixel art tends to have single colour skies but with heavy usage of clouds to add texture so they don't look boring, like so:

The only problem is I want to have a sunset, which necessitates some sort of gradient in the sky or it doesn't really work. Here's a selection of hastily drawn up approaches:

I suspect the dithering approach might look better if the divisions better blended into each other, but it somehow feels wrong to be using dithering at all in the sky. My understanding is that dithering is best used to illustrate texture, whereas a typical sunset is really smooth. The full gradient fade looks decent here but might look out of place with pixel dudes in front of it, though I'm not overly concerned about rigidly sticking to a true pixel style or limited palette, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Unrelated, here is a floating flaming skull:

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

HelixFox posted:

Does anyone have any tips on making skies that don't look like a huge pile of utter poo poo?

From googling around, it looks like most pixel art tends to have single colour skies but with heavy usage of clouds to add texture so they don't look boring, like so:

The only problem is I want to have a sunset, which necessitates some sort of gradient in the sky or it doesn't really work. Here's a selection of hastily drawn up approaches:

I suspect the dithering approach might look better if the divisions better blended into each other, but it somehow feels wrong to be using dithering at all in the sky. My understanding is that dithering is best used to illustrate texture, whereas a typical sunset is really smooth. The full gradient fade looks decent here but might look out of place with pixel dudes in front of it, though I'm not overly concerned about rigidly sticking to a true pixel style or limited palette, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Unrelated, here is a floating flaming skull:

Gradient going into dither, I'd say? This page has some neat examples.

Content: Still loving with animations.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I looked through a reference folder on my hard drive for some stuff from a beautiful Commodore Amiga game called Defender of the Crown, from as impossibly far back as 1986, as I remembered always being really taken with its skies. Most were what you describe, though: flat colors and clouds. This was as close to a sunset as I could find; some dithering, but most of the lighting contrast in the clouds themselves:

Your color palette there made me immediately think of an album cover though, so take what you will from that:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No idea personally, but have some Google Result inspiration.

Looks like the best approach would probably be to have bands of distinct colours rather than a smooth gradient, but have them a lot closer together in distance and colour than your example, probably avoiding totally straight lines nearer the sun if you can, and break them up a lot with clouds and features if you can.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 19, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The sky is your reds/warm values and the clouds and physical subjects are cools/purples, this way your banded sky colors are consistent in hue warmth and the cooler purple foreground elements contrast all the more sharply while still lending their colors to the local palette- reflect warms off your cools accordingly. At least that's how I am reading that.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Dither is going to look grainy, bands of colour tend to look just like what they are. I tend to just go for a flat blue, but disguising transitions with clouds can work well too. You can use a low-contrast colour ramp to get a decent banded or dithered gradient - I think this is what the piece MikeJF posted is doing; since the clouds are higher contrast you don't notice the bands so much.

these pieces don't try to create a smooth gradient, they use graphical shapes instead. You have to know what you're doing with that though :shrug:

This one does the low-contrast thing

and these use dither/clouds

I think it all depends what you're going for stylistically. If it's going to be upscaled x2 or x3 you don't need to worry about visible transitions because you're going to get that no matter what.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
One thing to keep in mind with pixel art is whether or not the element you are creating is for a game or for a piece of standalone art. In a game, the player often has a lot less time to gaze at every pretty detail, and so you need to prioritize elements based on what relevance they have to gameplay. A really rich, detailed sky might look amazing in a screenshot but it could wind up distracting the player needlessly.

This isn't to say to make a sky boring on purpose, just that context is important.

edit: Forgot to give these animations some love

Scut fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Where the gently caress did the week go?

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I missed that you'd posted that, Shoehead! Those are some pretty cool owl(s), are your monster dudes for a specific project or just for fun?
Mayyyyybe? I have some friends (Goons) who are getting into writing and programming and we are all kinda learning with each other but I don't think they want me telling people stuff? I think we were planning on splitting up soon and doing some fun game jam stuff here :3:

Tunicate posted:

I'm a little confused as to where the light source is supposed to be coming from. The belly in particular is pretty banded, which doesn't really give much information about the shape of an object.

You are correct and I should fix that banding and rethink some of this lighting 'cos it was supposed to be dead on.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Thanks for the skychat, guys. Here's what I've come up with, upscaled to something similar to how it will be displayed ingame:

I'll add in clouds at some point which will make everything a bit more interesting to look at.

Exclamation Marx posted:

I think it all depends what you're going for stylistically. If it's going to be upscaled x2 or x3 you don't need to worry about visible transitions because you're going to get that no matter what.

It'll be upscaled to at least x2 unless the player wants to run the game in 320x240 or something silly like that. The general aesthetic of the game is pretty similar to my avatar.

Scut posted:

One thing to keep in mind with pixel art is whether or not the element you are creating is for a game or for a piece of standalone art. In a game, the player often has a lot less time to gaze at every pretty detail, and so you need to prioritize elements based on what relevance they have to gameplay. A really rich, detailed sky might look amazing in a screenshot but it could wind up distracting the player needlessly.

This isn't to say to make a sky boring on purpose, just that context is important.

It's for a game, but it's a turn based game with most of the relevant information being displayed in the UI so I don't need to worry too much about clutter or foreground/background contrast, etc.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Nothing too fancy, but lately I've been making planets. Here's my first earth like:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Coldrice posted:

Nothing too fancy, but lately I've been making planets. Here's my first earth like:

Your weather patterns are really nice and natural looking on the planet. I think you could improve it and add some depth by having the clouds cast shadow and by muting the intensity of the continents colours.

I'm no pro pixel artist but I quickly tried it out myself.

Edit: Although it depends on your palette I suppose.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 23, 2013

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Cheap Shot posted:

Your weather patterns are really nice and natural looking on the planet. I think you could improve it and add some depth by having the clouds cast shadow and by muting the intensity of the continents colours.

Now that it sweet. I'll try it with my palette now!

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
I'm late to the tree party.

I drew a couple of others intending to do those also, but i think I've been defeated by the orange palette choice.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Whipped up a little animation of my favorite Animal Crossing villager, Shep!

Any feedback? I couldn't really make the ears look good wagging with the head so I just went with a little bump instead.

e: Oh, duh. Make the whole head bob! Original resolution included too.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 25, 2013

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing

Coldrice posted:

Now that it sweet. I'll try it with my palette now!

This is sorta a subtle thing, but on top of that, you can add some depth to the clouds as well, and a highlight on the ocean:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:spooky:

using Erstus's 13 colour palette

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Seeing some great use of colour palettes here. I've seen how a colour palette can really unify art assets together, I was wondering what's the best way to go about creating (and sticking) to one? I get the theory, but not necessarily the process behind it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is a lot to be said for trying out palettes from other sources. Be they from games you like, old microcomputers and consoles, or other pixel artists who use palettes you find interesting. I've found that using the palette of someone more skilled than me was an excellent way to understand their thought process better. By using the same colours yourself you see how they mix and interact in unique ways, and it makes for a lot concrete "a ha!" moments as you see the relation between colour theory and actual practice.

Doing some image searches for 'pixel palettes' or '16 bit palettes' is a great place to start.

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Sunset and stuff

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Malmo?

The water and sky details are so rich.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Took me a really long time to notice that was animated.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Took me a really long time to notice that was animated.

:aaaaa:

That's really subtle drat. Maybe the waves should move in opposite directions a little more. As they are, swaying all at once made me not even notice they moved!

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Scut posted:

Malmo?

The water and sky details are so rich.

Hey thanks! And yeah, it's Oresundsbroen. I'm not from there, but I like the Bron || Broen series a lot.

As for the animation, it was sort of just a last minute added effect. I was debating having it static but I felt the animation didn't really take anything away, so I kept it as it was.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The robot fights. The robot dies.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Scut posted:

Looks like it'd be right at home in an Irem arcade game (R-Type, Dragon Breed, et al.); very nice work!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Scut posted:

Radical! I really need to brush up on animation. It takes me a hideously long time to make anything look halfway convincing.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
It takes me a long time too. That animation ate up close to six hours, ugh. Something like this explosion is a bit of a special case where it has lots of fiddly bits. I gotta get better at doing the keyframing of animation. Block in like three frames of a walk cycle and then go back to polish it if there is time. I think a janky quick animation has got to be better than none at all right?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Scut posted:

It takes me a long time too. That animation ate up close to six hours, ugh. Something like this explosion is a bit of a special case where it has lots of fiddly bits. I gotta get better at doing the keyframing of animation. Block in like three frames of a walk cycle and then go back to polish it if there is time. I think a janky quick animation has got to be better than none at all right?

I certainly hope so. If I don't get funding for an animator, the game I'm working on is going to be chock full of janky quick animation. :v:

PS - Here's me working on a background earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlP8qfKxuSU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
What would you estimate your total time investment on that size of background to be? Also what paint app is that? asprite?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Scut posted:

What would you estimate your total time investment on that size of background to be? Also what paint app is that? asprite?

Yeah, it's ASEPRITE. That one in particular took me about 5 or 6 hours. I'm not the most economical pixel artist as weird little details begin to bother me and I go a bit overboard with 'fixing' them. :tizzy:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is there a quick way to setup a palette in asesprite? Like import from an image or shuffle the swatches around?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you click the "Edit Palette" button there's a dialogue where you can load an image file to use as a palette.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Y'all crazy, 6 hours be crazy.

Y'all also crazy good though, hm.

... Nah, probably just coincidence.

*continues making anims in 20 mins tops and wonders why he never gets crazy good*

Jewel
May 2, 2009

the chaos engine posted:

Y'all crazy, 6 hours be crazy.

Y'all also crazy good though, hm.

... Nah, probably just coincidence.

*continues making anims in 20 mins tops and wonders why he never gets crazy good*

I've always been restricted by my sense of time. I hear some people talk about how they spent weeks on some huge grand painting and like, it shows, but how do you even spend more than an hour on a single art piece without completely hating it. And how do you come back to it a second or third day!

Edit: vvv I've found "fresh perspective" to be "oh god I hate this so much" most of the time aahahah.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 4, 2013

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Jewel posted:

I've always been restricted by my sense of time. I hear some people talk about how they spent weeks on some huge grand painting and like, it shows, but how do you even spend more than an hour on a single art piece without completely hating it. And how do you come back to it a second or third day!

Usually you have more than one piece going at a time (usually 3-4), so when you get tired with one you can work on another - plus it lets you get a fresh perspective when you come back to it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Jewel posted:

Edit: vvv I've found "fresh perspective" to be "oh god I hate this so much" most of the time aahahah.

It's really hard to sit there and pixel sometimes, it very rarely feels fun to me anymore. Heck, sometimes it's downright torturous, but my passion for the game I'm working on supersedes that. In the end I'm always happy that I spent the time. :)

That said, ASEPRITE did crash once after a few hours of unsaved pixelling. :stare: Took me a week to start working again.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can't just sit for hours to complete a drawing in one shot. I muck around for 20 minutes, read an article for 5, paint for 20 more minutes, watch a video for 5...
Recently I started using Toggl to track my time for freelance gigs and it has not only been valuable for accurate and fair billing but it's also been a way to get more perspective on my work. The perceived time taken on a piece is often different from the real time spent, and I've been noticing that I'm using my creativity to try and make more efficient use of my time which seems to be leading to serendipitous creations. I wish I had started using these time tracking apps earlier.
I kinda look at the time tracker like a score keeper. I want those productive minutes to rack up like points so there's an incentive to stop whatever I'm doing as a break and go back to drawing so that I can hit the tracker's START button again. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013
Machinery, processing, automated factory.
Work in progress.

I spent 5 hours on this already , and it's not even closed to finished :kheldragar:

Havegum fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 5, 2013