Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Smythe posted:

pitch black is a good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smythe posted:

chronicles of riddick owns big_time

which movie did you like?

the movie that was "it's like pitch black but in reverse (stay out of the light!)"

the movie that was "attack of the space nihilists"

or the half-movie that was "riddick is magic for no good reason!"

Stymie fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 20, 2013

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

making poo poo relevant to present-day issues was the main goal of star trek from the beginning

how about an HBO-quality series (in the jjverse for greater leeway) that focuses on mismanaged federation intervention in bajor, a largely apathetic holoaddicted populace, political gridlock, section 31 leaks, tense relations with a klingon empire that backs cardassia, and a starfleet that's made of mediocre bureaucrats who are too incompetent to be corrupt

basically tng+ds9 minus any shred of optimism

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Keiko O'brien files for divorce because Miles drinks himself to sleep every night to cope with his space PTSD

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

MancXVI posted:

Keiko O'brien files for divorce because Miles drinks himself to sleep every night to cope with his space PTSD

so this is glen a. larson star trek?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i want a swords and sorcery fantasy with vin diesel as cool sword man because i bet he'd realy enjoy himself and have cool lines and manly action grunts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stymie posted:

the movie that was "it's like pitch black but in reverse (stay out of the light!)"

i like that it was the future but there was also magic and elementals and d&d poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

i jsut like dthe rly long vin diesel fanfic w/ no real direction

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Improbable Lobster posted:

i like that it was the future but there was also magic and elementals and d&d poo poo
batman vs the war hammer 40k setting: the movie

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
aesthetically, chronicles of riddick is still one of the most unique and visually interesting movies i've ever seen

and i'd give anything to see a good adaptation of dune in the same style

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

aesthetically, chronicles of riddick is still one of the most unique and visually interesting movies i've ever seen

and i'd give anything to see a good adaptation of dune in the same style

wasn't that syfy abomination sort of in that style

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

rigberry enema posted:

wasn't that syfy abomination sort of in that style

if was sort of in the "everyone is in front of a greenscreen while turn-of-the-millennium videogame cutscene graphics play behind them" style, if that's what you mean

god drat why couldn't we have had the jodorowsky dune with art by giger; words can't even express how amazing that would have been

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

ol qwerty bastard posted:

come the gently caress on man

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Amethyst posted:

i dont see you wearing shoulder pads with screaming faces on them

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

colm feore is cool; i saw him in a stage production of "my fair lady" once

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

also christopher plummer was in the audience

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

pitch black is a good movie

pitch black was loving great, love that movie

Smythe posted:

i jsut like dthe rly long vin diesel fanfic w/ no real direction

same

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

vin diesel also makes the fast and the furious movies watchable

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

i want a swords and sorcery fantasy with vin diesel as cool sword man because i bet he'd realy enjoy himself and have cool lines and manly action grunts

vin diesel as fafhrd and johnny depp as the gray mouser

diesel would have to wear a wig, though. fafhrd cant be bald.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Vin diesel as leto II

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the cold war preachiness is what makes st6 so great. making poo poo relevant to present-day issues was the main goal of star trek from the beginning. star trek the original series was full of retarded poo poo because the whole show was meant to serve roddenberry's agenda at the lowest possible budget

• roddenberry specifically knocked together a bridge crew with a black female and a russian ensign and a token asian to show an earth united and freed from racial prejudice and xenophobia

• every klingon episode was un-subtle about the klingons being our cold war enemies

• "balance of terror" was basically a submarine movie in space but it was also makin a point about geopolitics

st vi (1991!) confronted the end of the cold war and showed everyone makin' peace with dignity and reconciling themselves to burying hatchets. it the only social commentary on the topic you were gonna see at the multiplex that year or any year

maybe it's just because i'm middlin' old for yospos. if you were born too late to remember a soviet menace, or never watched the original series, then it's not gonna mean anything to see it on screen

the original star trek was an enormous influence on american society and i don't even know where to begin. this isn't stupid fan blather either. i mean, ffs:

Nichols posted:

I wanted to return to my first love, which is musical theater…

[Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.] told me that Star Trek was one of the only shows that he and his wife Coretta would allow their little children to watch. And I thanked him and I told him I was leaving the show. All the smile came off his face. And he said, don't you understand for the first time, we're seen as we should be seen. You don't have a black role. You have an equal role.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Smythe posted:

Vin diesel as leto II

vin diesel as IT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
chronicles of riddick the game is better than chronicles of riddick the movie

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Smythe posted:

Vin diesel as leto II

Please, Vin diesel as Gurney Halleck.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
vin diesel as shai-hulud

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

steve buschemi as count hasimir fenring

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

are we just casting a dune movie now or is this still a riddick thing

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
he's how i'd cast a dune movie: into a chasm.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
ryan gosling as baron harkonnen

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

he's how i'd cast a dune movie: into a chasm.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

ryan gosling as baron harkonnen

and feyd rautha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

hell yes this rules

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
according 2 box office mojo Riddick is gonna make money so that's cool

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

calvin and muad'dib

what is this scrub tier poo poo jfc

muad'dib and hobbes

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

vin diesel as Johnny 5-aces

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MancXVI posted:

how about an HBO-quality series (in the jjverse for greater leeway) that focuses on mismanaged federation intervention in bajor, a largely apathetic holoaddicted populace, political gridlock, section 31 leaks, tense relations with a klingon empire that backs cardassia, and a starfleet that's made of mediocre bureaucrats who are too incompetent to be corrupt

basically tng+ds9 minus any shred of optimism

ds9 used all of these as plotlines except the "holoaddict" thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MancXVI posted:

miles' space ptsd comes up several times in both tng and ds9 and it gets pretty depressing and they do show an impact on keiko

but he doesn't drink himself to sleep because space-a-hol doesn't do that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they totally gently caress w/ O'Brien over and over cause hes the only normal person on the show

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
stop quoting Stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i love the friendship between bashir and o'brien

possibly the best-written interaction on the show, though kira and dukat has to be a close second

• Locked thread