Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

al-azad posted:

If you think it's NES it's most likely Dungeon Magic.

wow, yeah that's it. Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements.

Thanks man :)

here's a mushmouth reviewing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6JVD25l9vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I've got a couple, both edutainment games as far as I know, on PC or something to that effect - unfortunately I can't remember when I played them, other than "likely before 2000."

The first one was a first-person game where you had to retrieve dinosaur eggs from the past with time travel, and you brought them back to your weird time travel base - there was a maze involved in one part, and there was an extremely terrifying encounter with a huge bug if you went the wrong way, I think? If you failed to retrieve all the eggs in time you got a similarly frightening cutscene with a huge meteor destroying everything. Now that I think about it, it seems a little too dark and scary to be marketed towards kids, but for some reason I do remember it being educational.

The other one also involves dinosaurs, but this one was top-down and really cartoony. You played as a green t-rex through a bunch of different minigames, and I think you were rescuing siblings or something? Apples were also involved. This one is really vague, sorry!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm stuck on one. This was an old freeware or shareware title I got off of AOL or compuserve back in 95 or so. It was a bog standard fantasy RPG with low fi sprite graphics and a tile-based overworld. The only specific thing I remember about it was that I found a note in the game referring to an npc named Jamall and the inventory referred to it as "Jamall note". This has been bugging me for years. If anybody knows it I figure this thread will.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

baka kaba posted:

Ok I was trying to think of another game that matched your first description, and now it turns out a) you were thinking of something else and b) now I'm trying to remember this drat game!

I think it was on the Amiga, and it was basically a puzzle game where you'd go from room to room and manipulate things. I think it was set in some kind of circular corridor, around a hub, so you'd move off the side of the screen and it would flip to the next location, and if you kept going you'd end up back at the start. Each screen let you access a room, I think each one might have been themed, but I'm pretty sure the progress you made in one room would give you things you could use in others, so solving the whole thing meant going back and forth. I think the idea was to unlock the middle 'axle' the corridor circled around.

Style-wise I think it was very dark, kind of earthy brown and red colours. It had sort of an otherworldly, oppressive atmosphere, a bit like a cross between a dungeon and the Atlantis bits of Fate of Atlantis. I also have some vague idea it was made by some 'weird' software company, which might mean it was French or something - magazines had a tendency to be all 'whoa so strange these Europeans' when a game came out.

It's a long shot, but "wierd, French" immediately brings to mind something by Exxos.

SWIV was great, its "one big level, loaded in on the fly" deal was pretty much unique as far as I know on the C64/Amiga.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prenton posted:

It's a long shot, but "wierd, French" immediately brings to mind something by Exxos.

I looked through a few on there and nothing rang a bell... then I noticed KULT, something clicked and basically you did it!

(US title: Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess :stare:)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

packetmantis posted:

The first one was a first-person game where you had to retrieve dinosaur eggs from the past with time travel, and you brought them back to your weird time travel base - there was a maze involved in one part, and there was an extremely terrifying encounter with a huge bug if you went the wrong way, I think? If you failed to retrieve all the eggs in time you got a similarly frightening cutscene with a huge meteor destroying everything. Now that I think about it, it seems a little too dark and scary to be marketed towards kids, but for some reason I do remember it being educational.
This is the "Save the Dinosaur" minigame in 3-D Dinosaur Adventure, and yes it was terrifying when the meteor hit. It was totally marketed towards kids, and was packed in with my family's first computer, a Packard Bell way back in 1994!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is the "Save the Dinosaur" minigame in 3-D Dinosaur Adventure, and yes it was terrifying when the meteor hit. It was totally marketed towards kids, and was packed in with my family's first computer, a Packard Bell way back in 1994!

Oh my god, you are a lifesaver! This has been bothering me for years.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
I'm trying to remember an NES platformer where you can shoot arrows into walls and climb on them. I can't really remember much other than that but I'm pretty sure it was a licensed game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Alligator posted:

I'm trying to remember an NES platformer where you can shoot arrows into walls and climb on them. I can't really remember much other than that but I'm pretty sure it was a licensed game.

Darkwing Duck?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Darkwing Duck?

I don't think you had arrows in Darkwing Duck. But Alligator's game sounds familiar, I just can't place it :negative:

VV Oh right. I seem to remember a game in which the arrows you can step on was a major mechanic, but no name for it.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 20, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I believe Darkwing Duck had a plunger gun you could use to stick plungers to the walls and climb on them, didn't it?

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Ok. This one will be easy as it may well be a classic nowadays...

This was a space conquest game, with planets which granted titles to its rulers, like Duke, Baron, etc.

I think it had an inheritance and dynasty system. It was for the PC and single player. It also has at least 15 years.

Any clues? Thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alligator posted:

In the off chance you got the console wrong, try Quackshot on the Genesis.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

tinkerballz posted:

Ok. This one will be easy as it may well be a classic nowadays...

This was a space conquest game, with planets which granted titles to its rulers, like Duke, Baron, etc.

I think it had an inheritance and dynasty system. It was for the PC and single player. It also has at least 15 years.

Any clues? Thanks.
Emperor of the Fading Suns, probably.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVbEj_fpPdY

Also Alligator's totally does sound like Quackshot. Even if it's not, yall should play it. 's great.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alligator posted:

Could have been Whomp 'Em, though it was a spear and not an arrow you could jump on. Or was climbing on them a primary mechanic of the game?

(Darkwing Duck had Arrow Gas and Quackshot had plungers, get it right guys :colbert:)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What was that retro 2d Sidescroller for PC within the past few years where it starts out all cute and gets terrifying and hellish as you progress?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

What was that retro 2d Sidescroller for PC within the past few years where it starts out all cute and gets terrifying and hellish as you progress?

Eversion.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It was a flash game where you are looking at a isometric view of a town and you can look around the town and see the people who live there fight off a zombie epidemic. You can't control anything, just watch, and as the people die, they become zombies, and if they kill a zombie, they level up, eventually becoming superheroes. It's almost a kind of zombie simulator. It had cartoony graphics.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Two old edutainment games:

One was you were a brother and sister traveling through time, and there were historical stories? It's not a lot to go on.

Second was a math/science game, it was sort of point and click? I remember it was in a castle and you had to solve a question on the bridge on the way in, and then you had to slowly unlock a door in the main chamber?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Second was a math/science game, it was sort of point and click? I remember it was in a castle and you had to solve a question on the bridge on the way in, and then you had to slowly unlock a door in the main chamber?

This sounds a lot like The Castle of Dr Brain

Fake Plastic Trees
Apr 13, 2012
It's old, it was a kind of maze game. You could get a pistol and there was a dinosaur that you could run into.
Maybe some other kind of monsters too.

I have no idea, I was like seven when i played it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Fake Plastic Trees posted:

It's old, it was a kind of maze game. You could get a pistol and there was a dinosaur that you could run into.
Maybe some other kind of monsters too.

I have no idea, I was like seven when i played it.

1st person or top-down?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I was about 8-12 years old last i played it (11-15 years ago), in this game you were a detective or investigator of some sort in a sci fi alien bar, you were chasing a murderer, and for some reason you had to go into peoples memories to set stuff right for them, sort of reminds me of FMV adventure games. The big twist was the murderer was also slowly catching on to you and starts to actively stalk you and finally murder you as well if you don't do certain things which i never figured out, probably because of kid dumbness.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 1, 2013

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Koboje posted:

I was about 8-12 years old last i played it (11-15 years ago), in this game you were a detective or investigator of some sort in a sci fi alien bar, you were chasing a murderer, and for some reason you had to go into peoples memories to set stuff right for them, sort of reminds me of FMV adventure games. The big twist was the murderer was also slowly catching on to you and starts to actively stalk you and finally murder you as well if you don't do certain things which i never figured out, probably because of kid dumbness.
Sounds like 'The Space Bar' to me.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-bar

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
There was an NES or SNES game, it was... I don't want to say "like Arkanoid", but it gets the gist of it. It was some weird fantasy game where you played bog-standard fantasy RPG archetypes and bounced a ball on energy around a field, trying your damndest to make it break blocks and open chests, or hit enemies. If it fell off the bottom of the screen you lost. Unlike Arkanoid or Breakout, you could move in two dimensions, not just left or right. I don't think my friend and I got past the first real boss, which I think was a Tiger. I don't remember the game controlling all that well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
That's definitely Fire Striker on SNES.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Thats it! Now i can track it down and actually beat it.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

There was a playstation game that where you controlled a mech. THe campaign was weird and you were like a cop mech or something, but it had a differnt mode against the ai where both you and an enemy mech had a base and you would make tanks and helicopters. your tanks would path towards the enemy base, and your helicopters would fly around your base and defend. it was perfect. i can't remember the name even a little

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

barkeyrogers posted:

There was a playstation game that where you controlled a mech. THe campaign was weird and you were like a cop mech or something, but it had a differnt mode against the ai where both you and an enemy mech had a base and you would make tanks and helicopters. your tanks would path towards the enemy base, and your helicopters would fly around your base and defend. it was perfect. i can't remember the name even a little

Future Cop: LAPD.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

thanks duder

Fake Plastic Trees
Apr 13, 2012

Pneub posted:

1st person or top-down?

1st person!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

This game was beyond cool, especially the base building skirmish!

Not to mention its awesome videos.

And this was back when EA actually made their own drat games, and did it proper!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

3D Monster Maze? No guns though

e- I remember a dinosaur in one of the Eye Of The Beholder-y games, might have been Captive, but I can't find any pictures of it.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Vii
Oct 5, 2013

Happy little accidents
this is all hazy, but there's this game for the pc, i think, in which you controlled anti-air cannons on a ship and shot down incoming enemy planes. there were two variants of the turret, a double barreled and a single. there also might've been another gamemode where you controlled a submarine. i can't remember if you were the one dropping bombs or the one dodging them. for some reason the name "seek and destroy" always comes in my mind when i think about the game, but i haven't found anything with that. also, the game was released before 2000.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That's probably Incoming. It was a popular graphics card freebie.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Glad I found this thread, there's a game I vaguely remember that's been bugging me for a while. It was on one of those old shareware bundle disks with like 300 games. It was a space combat type game, but it use a Frozen Synapse kind of turn-based system where you'd plan your move and everything would move forward about a second in realtime, then you'd pause again and do another move.

Vii
Oct 5, 2013

Happy little accidents
that's not it, but thanks anyway. the game i was asking about looked much more primitive. also i think it was on one of those huge floppy disks.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Necrololicon posted:

that's not it, but thanks anyway. the game i was asking about looked much more primitive. also i think it was on one of those huge floppy disks.
Basic game sounds like Paratrooper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5UAgPq2faI

Definitely released before 2000...

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Necrololicon posted:

this is all hazy, but there's this game for the pc, i think, in which you controlled anti-air cannons on a ship and shot down incoming enemy planes. there were two variants of the turret, a double barreled and a single. there also might've been another gamemode where you controlled a submarine. i can't remember if you were the one dropping bombs or the one dodging them. for some reason the name "seek and destroy" always comes in my mind when i think about the game, but i haven't found anything with that. also, the game was released before 2000.

This sound like Das Boot.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/das-boot-german-u-boat-simulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Glad I found this thread, there's a game I vaguely remember that's been bugging me for a while. It was on one of those old shareware bundle disks with like 300 games. It was a space combat type game, but it use a Frozen Synapse kind of turn-based system where you'd plan your move and everything would move forward about a second in realtime, then you'd pause again and do another move.

Space Rangers? I'm not too sure on the first game, but the second had turn based combat.