Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't remember exactly but there is very little reason to bother upgrading from 6.1.0 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Pretty sure I'm happy to lose my jb and want to upgrade to 7. Is it as easy as applying the update through iTunes, or do I need to do anything beforehand to prepare for a return to non jb land?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I will probably wait for an untethered jailbreak before I update my iPad 3 (still on 5.1.1). Just too many small things that I would miss too much on iOS 7.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

dirtyfrog posted:

Pretty sure I'm happy to lose my jb and want to upgrade to 7. Is it as easy as applying the update through iTunes, or do I need to do anything beforehand to prepare for a return to non jb land?

I think restoring is the best method.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dirtyfrog posted:

Similar to this question, is it possible to update to 7 (I'm JB on 6.1.2) OTA or do I need to do a restore first? If I attempt am I likely to get an unusable phone until I get home?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

You may also have to boot in safe mode. Reboot the iPhone and hold Volume Up from the moment the Apple logo appears until the stock lockscreen appears. My phone wouldn't restore until I did this due to some tweak or other.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
anyone having problems with the last update of iOS 7 Theme ? I updated 2 days ago and now my phone is getting hot when in iBooks and the battery drains very fast.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Good god I hope they jailbreak iOS 7 faster than the initial release of 6. I'm due for an upgrade, but I need my sweet, sweet customization.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Aggro posted:

Good god I hope they jailbreak iOS 7 faster than the initial release of 6. I'm due for an upgrade, but I need my sweet, sweet customization.

If anything, I'd expect them to wait at least until 7.0.1 or something is out, just so they don't release a jailbreak, have Apple release a new update which a) fixes the exploit and b) fixes some critical bugs, which will then force you to choose between your jailbreak and your lockscreen passscode being useless, or something.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If anything, I'd expect them to wait at least until 7.0.1 or something is out, just so they don't release a jailbreak, have Apple release a new update which a) fixes the exploit and b) fixes some critical bugs, which will then force you to choose between your jailbreak and your lockscreen passscode being useless, or something.

Hopefully they wait a bit longer than that, considering how difficult it's projected to be to get a 5S…

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Sure, I'll miss having XBMC and BiteSMS if I get the new iPhone but what I will miss more than anything is NoAccessoryLockscreen which lets you bypass the stupid "accessory is connected" message in the music app when I have it plugged in to my car

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sure, I'll miss having XBMC and BiteSMS if I get the new iPhone but what I will miss more than anything is NoAccessoryLockscreen which lets you bypass the stupid "accessory is connected" message in the music app when I have it plugged in to my car

Apple actually got rid of that themselves in 6.1.something. Finally.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I've jailbroken every iDevice I've owned, and have loved it for the customization aspects. For those who have upgraded to 7.0, would you say it's worth it?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Yes. I've also been jailbroken since my 3G and I only miss BiteSMS and FakeLocation. Texting from anywhere is nice, and being able to watch in market MLB games with At Bat is also nice, but iOS 7 is nicer.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

suboptimal posted:

I've jailbroken every iDevice I've owned, and have loved it for the customization aspects. For those who have upgraded to 7.0, would you say it's worth it?

It's going to be very subjective and totally dependent on what jb customizations you use and are accustomed to. I couldn't stand iOS 7 and thus am waiting patiently for a 6.1.4 jailbreak. I'm sure in time iOS 7 will be jailbroken and I'll eventually be able to overcome my nags about it with jb help.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have a question. Is there a tweak which makes your phone stay in landscape mode? I used to be JB before iOS7 came out and I don't remember there being one.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The rotation lock switch gives you that option from the factory. Turn it landscape and enable rotation lock.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

I have a question. Is there a tweak which makes your phone stay in landscape mode? I used to be JB before iOS7 came out and I don't remember there being one.

There is SBRotator but that is for the spring board (home screen) only. As for individual apps or all collectively, I don't think there is a tweak for that.

craig588 posted:

The rotation lock switch gives you that option from the factory. Turn it landscape and enable rotation lock.

:monocle:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doesn't work for landscape mode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It does (on the ipad)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
The iPhone's rotation lock option will only lock portrait mode. I know there's a jailbreak tool that gives you an sbsettings rotation lock, but I can't recall the name. Hell, just search Cydia for rotation and you'll find something.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It does (on the ipad)

This is an iPhone thread.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

"iOS Jailbreaking Thread"

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

:confused:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I decided to unjailbreak my ipad 4 and restore it to defaults and then upgrade to ios7. However it is currently been showing a progress circle for like 20-30 minutes after I hit erase all settings. Is that normal? Or did I gently caress up somehow?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Yep, you messed it up. Erase all content and settings will hose your phone if jail broken.

Download the iOS 7 IPSW and try to restore from iTunes. You may even need to do a DFU restore if you're unlucky.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Turned it off using recovery mode and it restarted and is working like nothing ever happened. Guess I got lucky.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

ICHIBAHN posted:

SBRotator does this for the springboard, and for some additional apps like Settings, iTunes, AppStore, etc.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well my ipad seems totally hosed. I can use it and it works fine but it won't allow me to restore it to factory defaults even in DFU mode. It is stuck with the 6.1.2 jailbroken. No idea what to do from here. I put it in DFU mode and go to restore it in itunes but it say it can't restore it to due to some unknown error.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

cheesetriangles posted:

Well my ipad seems totally hosed. I can use it and it works fine but it won't allow me to restore it to factory defaults even in DFU mode. It is stuck with the 6.1.2 jailbroken. No idea what to do from here. I put it in DFU mode and go to restore it in itunes but it say it can't restore it to due to some unknown error.

Check your hosts file for entries made by tiny umbrella.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hosts file is clean.

Edit: Reinstalling Itunes seems to have fixed the problem.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
http://blog.ih8sn0w.com/2013/09/some-updates.html

For anyone else waiting on a 6.1.x jailbreak, and some other general jb news

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

basmati posted:

SBRotator does this for the springboard, and for some additional apps like Settings, iTunes, AppStore, etc.

I'll bear this in mind, thanks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e: nm I figured it out just as soon as I made a post about it.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 28, 2013

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Going to upgrade to iOS 7. The only thing I'm really going to miss is Zephyr - what an incredible tweak. Though, it is a little strange at times (gets activated in buggy ways from time to time). With the new iOS 7 swipe up feature, it will be interesting to see Zephyr's implementation in the future... Maybe double tapping on the home button to get to the quick settings of iOS 7 or something.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Zephyr will have to undergo a big change because the task switcher is full screen now and doesn't have a defined edge any more. Plus the screen now pulls from the right edge, rather than the bottom like the old multitasking tray.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheChipmunk posted:

Going to upgrade to iOS 7. The only thing I'm really going to miss is Zephyr - what an incredible tweak. Though, it is a little strange at times (gets activated in buggy ways from time to time). With the new iOS 7 swipe up feature, it will be interesting to see Zephyr's implementation in the future... Maybe double tapping on the home button to get to the quick settings of iOS 7 or something.
What does Zephyr offer that iOS 7 multitasking doesn't?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

What does Zephyr offer that iOS 7 multitasking doesn't?

The gesture to invoke multitasking under Zephyr is worlds more organic than invoking multitasking by double clicking home. It's incomparably better, and I don't know why Apple didn't just implement it themselves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bobfather posted:

The gesture to invoke multitasking under Zephyr is worlds more organic than invoking multitasking by double clicking home. It's incomparably better, and I don't know why Apple didn't just implement it themselves.
Probably because double clicking home has brought up multitasking ever since iOS 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably because double clicking home has brought up multitasking ever since iOS 4?

Multitasking in iOS 7 is radically different than iOS 4-6, from the look and feel, to the way that apps are closed, down to the behavior of opening onto the last app you had open. When I first installed iOS 7 I had to search the internet to find out how to force close an app, since pressing and holding the icon no longer let me do it. They could have changed the gesture to open the multitasking tray easily, given that they changed literally everything else but that.

• Locked thread