Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I've been fairly tolerant of Sprint once I got an Airrave to fix the gap in my apartment, but I don't think the bitching is unfounded.

I am curious if anyone else has noticed this though: Full reception (LTE or 3G) but data just doesn't work. I end up having to use OpenSignal to refresh and hope that it fixes it (usually does). This seems to happen most when I'm downtown and I'm 99% sure that Sprint has already upgraded all the towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mahoning posted:

I don't know when this thread transitioned to only people coming in and bashing Sprint or announcing that they've left Sprint (like anyone cares), but my Sprint service is perfectly fine. Yes, the service could probably be better, but I hear people with Verizon and AT&T phones at the office bitching about service a hell of a lot more than I ever do. And I'm in a city with no Sprint LTE and plenty of AT&T and Verizon LTE.

Because Sprint data service has poo poo the bed for most of us. You are fooling yourself if you think Sprint (as of right now) offers a better or even on par service in comparison to AT&T or Verizon. I couldn't even get calls at my house any more (I would just get the voicemail) earlier this year, because of Sprint. Sorry but you can't defend Sprint.

That said LTE in my area is making things better. My data service was non-existent in the Winter/Spring, but over the Summer things have started to work now. Sprint LTE might not be the fastest, but now that it is running it is more than fast enough (still no LTE at work or LTE at home is very faint). So once all the Network Vision is done I think Sprint will be fine. That said I wouldn't go to Sprint until that happens.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not defending them. I'm reporting on how Sprint service is for me, just like everyone else in this thread.

I understand people get frustrated and like to vent, but if anyone thinks people care when they come into the thread to announce they are leaving Sprint, they are sorely mistaken.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
While taking a trip to chicago this past weekend I was shocked at the amazing speeds in Indiana. Only after like 30 minutes from the ohio/indiana border I was getting faster speeds than my home ISP, which sort of speaks volume for my home ISP, but regardless I was impressed. I don't really have specialty needs, just standard phone functions being zippy and convenient will make me happy. Eventually if this becomes the norm, I'll be cool.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Mahoning posted:

I understand people get frustrated and like to vent, but if anyone thinks people care when they come into the thread to announce they are leaving Sprint, they are sorely mistaken.
I'm grateful for the people who did otherwise I might never have considered or realized just how truly BAD Sprint's service actually is, or how close in price it is to Verizon.

I switched to Verizon last month and even though I have no more unlimited data (a huge concern since I have no options for high speed internet at my home) it's incredible how much of a difference there is. I hadn't realized just how much I was willing to accept a neutered phone that was rarely useable for almost the same price as a top-tier vendor would provide.

Like someone else said, there's literally zero reason for hardly anyone to sign up with Sprint at this point.

Edit: Although I have one line remaining on Sprint because that user hasn't decided on the phone they want with Verizon as of yet.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
On the heels of AT&T lighting up LTE in New Bern NC a month ago, I just noticed the LTE indicator on my iPhone 5 this afternoon. 14 down, 3 up. Not too bad.

Hopefully this means I can save my AT&T hotspot for when I'm on the road and not puttering around town.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I honestly believe Sprint is going to get a lot better. This LTE rollout is not the other failed 4G rollout. If things keep improving here in Knoxville like has been I might be a happy Sprint customer by year end. It's just the last year has been hard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm visiting California in the east bay and service here is pretty good! I'm glad I unlocked my phone for the WiFi tethering, as the hotel's WiFi sucks.

At home I still miss a lot of calls and texts so I'm still unsure of what to do.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood

CharlesM posted:

I'm visiting California in the east bay and service here is pretty good! I'm glad I unlocked my phone for the WiFi tethering, as the hotel's WiFi sucks.

At home I still miss a lot of calls and texts so I'm still unsure of what to do.

For some reason towers are being upgraded everywhere in the east bay except Berkeley which is where I live unfortunately.

My contract is up at the end of this month and I have no idea whether to jump ship or not. Does anyone know the ETA on tri-band LTE phones?

Klint fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 20, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Klint posted:

For some reason towers are being upgraded everywhere in the east bay except Berkeley which is where I live unfortunately.

My contract is up at the end of this month and I have no idea whether to jump ship or not. Does anyone know the ETA on tri-band LTE phones?
The iPhone 5s supports LTE 850/1900 but not the planned high frequency probably-crappy Clearwire LTE. So that's already an option. LG's releasing one soon too. And new versions of the SGS4 and HTC One are rumored by the end of the year.

bigtom posted:

On the heels of AT&T lighting up LTE in New Bern NC a month ago, I just noticed the LTE indicator on my iPhone 5 this afternoon. 14 down, 3 up. Not too bad.
These are likely not a coincidence. Both AT&T and Sprint were probably waiting for AT&T crews to lay fiber.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Klint posted:

Isn't Berkeley famous for having wacky politics? Maybe it's tough to get building permits. I'm in Concord, but I don't know if it's LTE or not; I have a 3g phone.

Silly question but are there any roaming agreements for LTE service? I don't know if any of the companies share frequencies.

ryanbruce posted:

I've been fairly tolerant of Sprint once I got an Airrave to fix the gap in my apartment, but I don't think the bitching is unfounded.

I am curious if anyone else has noticed this though: Full reception (LTE or 3G) but data just doesn't work. I end up having to use OpenSignal to refresh and hope that it fixes it (usually does). This seems to happen most when I'm downtown and I'm 99% sure that Sprint has already upgraded all the towers.

Something I know is true except for maybe the iPhone or something is that the signal strength indicator is a reflection of the 1X strength only. Even the android APIs are returning 1X signal strength only. Some gurus at s4gru haveposted about it in more detail
Edit: here check this out:
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 20, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

CharlesM posted:

Isn't Berkeley famous for having wacky politics? Maybe it's tough to get building permits. I'm in Concord, but I don't know if it's LTE or not; I have a 3g phone.

Silly question but are there any roaming agreements for LTE service? I don't know if any of the companies share frequencies.
Looks like 2/3 of the towers in Concord have LTE, but only 1/3 of them have 3G/voice upgrades too so your service is probably still marginally poo poo.

And no, there is no LTE roaming anywhere in America yet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For anyone on Sprint trying to get an iPhone 5S.....they seem to not have silver or gold pretty much everywhere.

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice
I'm at my local sprint store in SF and I've been the only person here since I got here at 7. I checked yesterday and they have about 5 of each size of space gray 5S. Looks like I woke up early for nothing.

At this point I'm trying to decide if the new one up plan has any merit. With the plan discount, it sounds like I'd end up paying $100 more than a normal subsidization and I'd have the option to trade up phones next year?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone else having issues with Sprint internet? Mines been non-existant for about 2 hours, in Detroit, 4G.

CUPCAKES
Jan 26, 2008
I need to get a phone from sprint on a new plan for work ASAP. Problem is The iPhone 5s/c take 2-3 weeks to ship. Does anyone know if Sprint provides a temp phone in situations like this? Thanks :)

edit - I'm not concerned with the temporary phone model, however an iPhone something would be ideal.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Republic Wireless is getting the Moto X in November. They use Sprint towers. $40/month for unlimited everything with LTE. $30/month if you can get by with 3G.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Medullah posted:

Anyone else having issues with Sprint internet? Mines been non-existant for about 2 hours, in Detroit, 4G.

Mine was nonexistent for 2 years in Omaha, NE.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
So I have this issue with my GSIII where if you plug in earphones, it'll play music through the speaker of the phone for a fraction of a second, then play stuttering music on my earphones, and it goes in a loop for like ~30 seconds and it either plays normally through the earphones or just stop. This only seems to happen with small earphones like with iPod earbuds or the Nexus 4 ones. I tried it on my big af Sennheisers and it played normally with no stuttering/etc. Would this end up my GSIII getting replaced or would I able to get a new phone? The text I got from sending "upgrade" to some Sprint number said I was eligible for a 2yr discount in Feburary.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Anonomono posted:

Would this end up my GSIII getting replaced or would I able to get a new phone? The text I got from sending "upgrade" to some Sprint number said I was eligible for a 2yr discount in Feburary.

It would be replaced with another GS3 or possibly repaired if they have the parts available. Sounds like it could just be the headset port, and that's replaceable.

Or you could probably do the One Up early upgrade thing, but only corporate stores can do that so I don't know the details.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

It would be replaced with another GS3 or possibly repaired if they have the parts available. Sounds like it could just be the headset port, and that's replaceable.

Or you could probably do the One Up early upgrade thing, but only corporate stores can do that so I don't know the details.

Link here for some of the details

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12945

It apparently reduces your bill, although I'm not sure how that works with family plans.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Link here for some of the details

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12945

It apparently reduces your bill, although I'm not sure how that works with family plans.

That seems good for me, but uh, I'm not exactly sure when my plan started. I got an HTC EVO 4G LTE back in June/July(?) 2012 and I got it replaced with a GSIII because the EVO just kept overheating to death in my hands, but I'm not sure if my contract was renewed (I had someone else replace my phone with a refurb GSIII) when the GSIII was given to me. Is there any way to check when the contract started?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Anonomono posted:

That seems good for me, but uh, I'm not exactly sure when my plan started. I got an HTC EVO 4G LTE back in June/July(?) 2012 and I got it replaced with a GSIII because the EVO just kept overheating to death in my hands, but I'm not sure if my contract was renewed (I had someone else replace my phone with a refurb GSIII) when the GSIII was given to me. Is there any way to check when the contract started?

Your contract should not have gotten renewed from that, it sounds like a warranty exchange. But check online.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Your contract should not have gotten renewed from that, it sounds like a warranty exchange. But check online.

How do you check exactly?
Edit: Thanks Google.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
When does the Note 3 actually come out on Sprint? I thought it was September 25 but I guess that isn't true now?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

fyallm posted:

When does the Note 3 actually come out on Sprint? I thought it was September 25 but I guess that isn't true now?
AT&T and T-Mobile are releasing theirs on October 1st, Sprint hasn't announced anything yet but I saw a rumor the other day about it coming October 2nd.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Well uh... Can't seem to see the contract details...

But I have this:

I've had Sprint since Summer 2013, so I guess it's using the HTC contract?

Anonomono fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 22, 2013

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Anonomono posted:

But I have this:

There is no such thing as an HTC contract. What type of account are you on? Is it under an employee?

Also you can always check your upgrade date over the phone or by texting you "upgrade" to 1311.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Anonomono posted:

But I have this:

You said you got your first phone in June 2012, that would line up with the Feb 14 upgrade date (20 months). So it doesn't look like there was any renewal.

The upgrade they're saying you're eligible for now is probably One Up, then the regular 2-year discounts next year.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
So, the Note 3 for $350 and the Gear for $300 on October 4. Seems like too much for the Note.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Note 2 is $150 on Sprint.com, that's a pretty large price hike on the Note 3.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

I said come in! posted:

The Note 2 is $150 on Sprint.com, that's a pretty large price hike on the Note 3.

That's only for new lines. For an upgrade the Note 2 is $250.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So $350 for the 32Gb note 3. That's bullshit. Are they even planning on carrying the 64Gb one?

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Giblet posted:

There is no such thing as an HTC contract. What type of account are you on? Is it under an employee?

Also you can always check your upgrade date over the phone or by texting you "upgrade" to 1311.

I checked, and the One-Up thing is available for me. What would I have to pay monthly and at the store if I gave back my GSIII? I plan to get an iPhone 5C (or 5 if they still have that gorgeous beast) for my birthday on the 5th, so, yeah.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Anonomono posted:

I checked, and the One-Up thing is available for me. What would I have to pay monthly and at the store if I gave back my GSIII? I plan to get an iPhone 5C (or 5 if they still have that gorgeous beast) for my birthday on the 5th, so, yeah.

No idea really. I quit in February for a desk job. Most of these programs which let you upgrade all the time seem like scams to me but I honestly haven't done the math.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Anonomono posted:

At the store you only have to pay the sales tax on the full retail. The 5C and 5 are 549.99 retail so just divide that by 24 and you'll get the amount you have to pay on your bill each month. You also get a $15 discount on your monthly bill for using one up so you save some more money.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Biodome posted:

At the store you only have to pay the sales tax on the full retail. The 5C and 5 are 549.99 retail so just divide that by 24 and you'll get the amount you have to pay on your bill each month. You also get a $15 discount on your monthly bill for using one up so you save some more money.
You also HAVE TO trade in your old phone. I don't know if they actually credit you for the phone like a normal buyback, or if it's just a requirement for the program.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
They don't credit you for it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Biodome posted:

I kind of figured as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Biodome posted:

Well it's more like they don't credit as a line item or anything, they just take the old phone in exchange for the new one. They probably plan on reselling the phones as used in various conditions to recoup whatever cost they're incurring if any.

I wonder if they dock you for damage/wear to the phone. What if you bring in the phone with a broken screen or loose charging port? Scratches/chips/scuffs on the body? What about TEP? Included (a la Jump) or required but paid separately?