Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
That 10 gigs free is for 2 years. Do you get charged for it after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rotaryfun posted:

That 10 gigs free is for 2 years. Do you get charged for it after that?

In the past they usually just turn the extra storage off with a few proceeding nanny messages about clearing out space.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
When did SwiftKey get this slider on the space bar for switching languages? That's pretty slick.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

DrBouvenstein posted:

Neat, can always use more cloud storage.

But the app does this poo poo to me:

The app is coded by Google, yes? Shouldn't it stick to their standards? It has the three-dot overflow button in the Action Bar, so it shouldn't force the three dots in the "Status Bar" that I don't have, being that it's an HTC One.

I was under the impression that the three dots appearing in the status bar only appear if the app doesn't have the three dots in the Action Bar? Why am I getting both?

It's a fake action bar created by a 3rd party library called Actionbarsherlock (and an old version at that). Icons in the overflow menu is the giveaway (with the direct attribution in "About" being the smoking gun). IIRC when an app is targeted at Honeycomb and doesn't explicitly use the native Action Bar, Android brings up the legacy menu button on phones with their reasoning being that even though Honeycomb had Holo, the phone equivalent at that point was Gingerbread meaning a phone app designed at that time expects a menu button. So that's the cause of your problem.

Doesn't really feel like Google total rewrite of the original Quick Office app, this is more like a mild restructure/reskin. Seems like they intended this to have more time in the oven, and the reason they're releasing it now is that they want to catch some of the tailwind of Apple making the iWork suite free for new iOS devices on iOS 7.

LastInLine posted:

Is it me or does QuickOffice kind of blow? I opened a spreadsheet created from Drive just to test drive the UI and it opened it as a PDF. Maybe I'm using it wrong? I don't really have a need for it but I also don't have a reason to not have it and 10GB (although for only 2 years so kind of useless).

Now that I'm looking at the G+ post comments it seems only QuickOffice Pro can edit Drive sheets and docs. So basically this is a useless thing I guess?

That's not it, since this QuickOffice used to be QuickOffice for Google Apps, which had the same feature set as QuickOffice Pro.

The purpose of QuickOffice is to be a native editor/viewer for Microsoft Office and PDFs, putting the squeeze on Microsoft's Office 365 which requires a subscription. The (real/percieved) weakness of Drive has always been the required import step from Office format -> Docs/Sheets/Slides, and this removes that. It's possible the end game is to replace the "Document Viewer" which is part of Gapps (at least on Nexus) with this, since its essentially a more full featured version of that but who knows.

The interesting part is that the QuickOffice also has an integrated file manager for non-Cloud storage so if the plan really is to start bundling it with Nexus/Google Play devices this goes squarely against the Android team's previous philosophy (at least under Rubin) of never shipping the OS with one. What Sundar wants, Sundar gets so its not as if they have a choice.

dissss posted:

Quickoffice will do Word and Excel which the Drive app won't, Drive will do Google Docs which Quickoffice won't.

Hopefully they get merged into a single app, but knowing Google this will take years.

There would've been a pretty clean division of roles between the two if QuickOffice didn't insist on being a quasi file explorer and restricted itself to only showing files it could view/edit within Drive. Must be deliberate too otherwise they would've just ripped the functionality out of the app (like the alternate cloud providers).

Either way judging by the redesigned Drive page it's going to stick around: http://www.google.com/drive/apps.html

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

i barely GNU her! posted:

When did SwiftKey get this slider on the space bar for switching languages? That's pretty slick.

Over a year ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks for this, good stuff here.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

Over a year ago.

Guess I would have noticed sooner if Kii wasn't so good :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Quick question about Nova Launcher: When I turn my tablet Landscape, the Dock stays where the bottom of the screen was in Portrait, so it ends up on the right side of my screen, and vertical.

What setting do I need to use to make it so that it moves to the bottom of the screen and stays horizontal when I rotate?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Quick question about Nova Launcher: When I turn my tablet Landscape, the Dock stays where the bottom of the screen was in Portrait, so it ends up on the right side of my screen, and vertical.

What setting do I need to use to make it so that it moves to the bottom of the screen and stays horizontal when I rotate?
That's how the dock works even on the stock launcher. There's no way to move it to the bottom of an landscape launcher screen.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wait, how I can do that on my Nexus 10? The 16:10 aspect ratio means there's really no room for a dock on bottom of the screen - I'd rather put it on left or right side of the screen.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Wait, how I can do that on my Nexus 10? The 16:10 aspect ratio means there's really no room for a dock on bottom of the screen - I'd rather put it on left or right side of the screen.

That's how it works for a portrait device (ie. Phone or Nexus 7)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh. Darn. OK, thanks for the answer.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
What's THE browser on devices with (Snapdragon S3 and) only 1GB of RAM?

I'm using Firefox (not Beta) and I like it because it has the AdBlock Plus extension, but it's just so slow between doing things like starting up, closing tabs and even bringing up search suggestions (on 3G or WiFi)

I'm rooted so I'm thinking AOSP or Chrome with an adblocking proxy could work well

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Dice Dice Baby posted:

What's THE browser on devices with (Snapdragon S3 and) only 1GB of RAM?

I'm using Firefox (not Beta) and I like it because it has the AdBlock Plus extension, but it's just so slow between doing things like starting up, closing tabs and even bringing up search suggestions (on 3G or WiFi)

I'm rooted so I'm thinking AOSP or Chrome with an adblocking proxy could work well

I use an adblock hosts file works good for me. (It came from an app that installed it but the app doesn't work anymore so I pulled it out of one of my old backups.)

I'm using boring stock CM10 browser in desktop mode it's never done anything slow that I've ever seen.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Stock AOSP is all I used on my GNex because with that 1GB of RAM anything else just chugged or never stayed in memory.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I did CM10.1 on my Evo 3D and the difference in speed from that stock Sense is night and day. Primarily, the launcher doesn't "cold start" every time you hit the home button.

For browser, the stock Browser performs fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I prefer the CM Browser with AdAway.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Awesome, IMDB pushed an update through today that broke the app for many people, including me. drat thing won't even start.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

...! posted:

Awesome, IMDB pushed an update through today that broke the app for many people, including me. drat thing won't even start.

You have a browser yeah? What's even the need for a native imdb app? I really don't get this and not meaning to be snarky at all for true, just wanting to understand the reasoning for apps for every site. You have an imdb app on your PC?

One time wife and I wanted to know what used/craigslist prices were for some patio furniture some friends had, she went to market to search for a cl app she could then search from, I went to browser. I asked, she didn't have an answer that made sense to me.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 21, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
CLApp is fantastic, and going to the browser version takes several hundred more years to fiddle with.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Splizwarf posted:

CLApp is fantastic, and going to the browser version takes several hundred more years to fiddle with.

How? You click your cl app, I click browser. You type gfe incall to search I type <my city > + craigslist then gfe incall to search on cl. You've saved a few keystrokes/taps for sure, but how often are people looking at cl or imdb on phones that they really need a way to save those few seconds typing?

I like looking at websites just like they appear on a pc. I do like awful app and tapatalk for forums since forums are about a million times more interactive than imdb or cl and the mobile optimized experience is appreciated but still dont get it.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 21, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vin BioEthanol posted:

How? You click your cl app, I click browser. You type gfe incall to search I type <my city > + craigslist then gfe incall to search on cl. You've saved a few keystrokes/taps but how often are people looking at cl or imdb on phones that they really need a way to save those few seconds typing?

I like looking at websites just like they appear on a pc. I do like awful app and tapatalk for forums since forums are about a million times more interactive than imdb or cl and the mobile optimized experience is appreciated but still dont get it.

Short answer: people have become conditioned to seek single-use apps for everything.

Sometimes, not always but sometimes, the layout designed for a computer monitor reflows funny, has elements that don't scale right, or otherwise looks like rear end on a phone. Some sites have menus that rely on a pointer hover rather than a click. Sites like these sometimes have an app that fixes these problems.

However, you are correct in that many of the apps are kind of redundant, especially when a well-designed phone-friendly site exists.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The trouble is way too many sites think that because they provide an app they don't need to provide a usable mobile version of the site.

That said m.imdb.com seems perfectly fine to me - not sure what the app really adds (it seems to be webviews anyway)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I agree with you on the bitterly complaining about a website app breaking and implying that it's ruined your day and now you can't do anything, but ClApp really is amazing. Other than features like nearest location using GPS, ad saving, favourite searches, etc, the native interface is way snappier than a webpage is. If you use craigslist a lot, it makes it a lot easier to deal with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HTML5 and current browsers are just not ready to replace native UIs and APIs. For some apps that doesn't matter, for some it does.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Thermopyle posted:

HTML5 and current browsers are just not ready to replace native UIs and APIs. For some apps that doesn't matter, for some it does.

According to Facebook's incompetent mobile dev team, sure.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there an app that will monitor uptime of a website and trigger an alert if it goes down? It would have to be connected to an external service somehow so that it doesn't trigger when my phone loses its internet connection.

Alternatively, is there a way of making emails from a particular address or with a particular subject ('your website is down!') set off an alarm?

e: pingdom seems to do the trick.

fuf fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 21, 2013

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

fuf posted:

Is there an app that will monitor uptime of a website and trigger an alert if it goes down? It would have to be connected to an external service somehow so that it doesn't trigger when my phone loses its internet connection.

Alternatively, is there a way of making emails from a particular address or with a particular subject ('your website is down!') set off an alarm?

Not an android app but couldn't you do something like this? http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3482164.htm

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

jalopybrown posted:

Not an android app but couldn't you do something like this? http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3482164.htm

Thanks, but I only have one server and I'd need a second one to run this script to check the first one. :v:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just picked up a Nexus 7 (my first adventure in Android since the early, god awful days). Is there a good video player that supports SMB shares over WiFi? So far all the VLC versions I am finding require content to be local or streamed over HTTP.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lifespan posted:

Just picked up a Nexus 7 (my first adventure in Android since the early, god awful days). Is there a good video player that supports SMB shares over WiFi? So far all the VLC versions I am finding require content to be local or streamed over HTTP.
If you use a file browser like Estrong's you can find files over the network and it can open them to your application of choice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

fuf posted:

e: pingdom seems to do the trick.

You could also have gmail apply a label to your alert mail (you'd have to set up the filter in the browser though) and then have the gmail app sync and notify for that label

e- Dice Player lets you add smb shares to its browser apparently, haven't tested it though. It's a good player in general, I use it when I want the overlaid video window thing going on.

aaaand now I've tested it and it works fine

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 21, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Vin BioEthanol posted:

You have a browser yeah? What's even the need for a native imdb app? I really don't get this and not meaning to be snarky at all for true, just wanting to understand the reasoning for apps for every site. You have an imdb app on your PC?

One time wife and I wanted to know what used/craigslist prices were for some patio furniture some friends had, she went to market to search for a cl app she could then search from, I went to browser. I asked, she didn't have an answer that made sense to me.

Spoken like someone who's never used the app. The app is a whole hell of a lot better than the mobile site, that's for sure. When it works, that is. :argh:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

...! posted:

Spoken like someone who's never used the app. The app is a whole hell of a lot better than the mobile site, that's for sure. When it works, that is. :argh:

What in the gently caress is a mobile site? :smug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an app to help with figuring out each person's share of a restaurant bill? Like, I could input the cost of a person's order, and then orders that were shared across the table, and then the service charge percentage, and it'd give me how much each person should pay?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an app to help with figuring out each person's share of a restaurant bill? Like, I could input the cost of a person's order, and then orders that were shared across the table, and then the service charge percentage, and it'd give me how much each person should pay?

Only about 5000 of them: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bill+split&c=apps

This one doesn't look like complete poo poo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.billpin.android

Simpler: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.collinguarino.tipcalculator

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 22, 2013

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just take items i ordered x 1.07 (or 06 or 07 or whatever your local tax is) and then, x that by 1.20 (or whatever you want to tip). this needs an app?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Has anyone else been having playback issues with Google Play Music? I have an AT&T Galaxy S4, rooted, with everything up to date (issue happened before updating to 4.3), and on WiFi or cellular data, every now and then I get short skips in the music. Any idea what could be the cause?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you use a file browser like Estrong's you can find files over the network and it can open them to your application of choice.

That works. Is there an app considered to be the best media player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Lifespan posted:

That works. Is there an app considered to be the best media player?

MX Player is the usual suggestion.

• Locked thread