Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Doesn't really make a difference when 98% of the games on GOG are 4-5 stars anyway. Wish you could flag reviews like that though to be removed, it certainly doesn't help.

I read GOG ratings like this, provided that there are enough of them (30 is not a proper sample size): 5 stars means "classic", 4.5 stars is "pretty good", 4 is "meh", and anything below that is utter rubbish. So far, that's been remarkably accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Commander Keenan posted:

Also, Armada and Prophecy are coming out soon.

Any idea if Prophecy will be the gold version with Secret Ops? It'd be nice to finally toss out those magazine cover discs I've been hoarding for 15 years.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Lockmat posted:

Any idea if Prophecy will be the gold version with Secret Ops? It'd be nice to finally toss out those magazine cover discs I've been hoarding for 15 years.

Unsure at this point, but you can easily download the Secret Ops stuff from WCNews if it's just the base game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Just bought Priv 2. Someone's got to write us up a quick 'What I need to know before I play' for this one, please guys... :)

It's been a while since I played, but there is enemy scaling (pirates), but it's a little wonky and seems to be tied to the quality of the ship you're flying.
Which means that if you buy a better ship without having the money for better weapons, you might be faced with some tough fights.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If I have to buy just one Wing Commander game on GOG, which one should it be?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I had the most fun with Privateer, followed by Wing Commander 2 - but that was because they were brand new and totally cutting edge when I played them. I'm 33 now, so was an early teen and it all looked and felt amazing. If you're quite a bit younger and used to better graphics and smoother controls/gameplay, the later ones in the series might go better for you. I've only briefly played WC3 since it came onto GOG and have yet to even try WC4, so maybe someone else can comment.

If you want awesome open-ended space gaming, go Privateer. If you want the set missions with multiple paths based on wins/losses in a military vibe, WC2 is the one.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Deakul posted:

If I have to buy just one Wing Commander game on GOG, which one should it be?

Wing Commander 3. It's probably the best balance between gameplay and story. The earlier ones are a little difficult to get into for newcomers because of the REALLY dated cartoony graphics. WC4 on the other hand was all about interactive MOVIE MOVIE MOVIE that, while good, sometimes compromised the gameplay. 3 hit a bit of a sweet spot in the middle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

macnbc posted:

Wing Commander 3. It's probably the best balance between gameplay and story. The earlier ones are a little difficult to get into for newcomers because of the REALLY dated cartoony graphics. WC4 on the other hand was all about interactive MOVIE MOVIE MOVIE that, while good, sometimes compromised the gameplay. 3 hit a bit of a sweet spot in the middle.
Yeah, this is a good recommendation.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JustJeff88 posted:

I read GOG ratings like this, provided that there are enough of them (30 is not a proper sample size): 5 stars means "classic", 4.5 stars is "pretty good", 4 is "meh", and anything below that is utter rubbish. So far, that's been remarkably accurate.

The concept of reviews on GOG is pointless in the grand scheme of things. They're all lies for the most part, it's usually just people who want oldschool gamer cred so they act like Redneck Rampage or Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption are classic games instead of garbage that was almost uniformly derided back when they came out.
It's especially weird on games like Project Eden or Postal 2 that are fundamentally broken and just incredibly poorly designed and you see people praising it like it's the second coming of Christ.
The reviews are always super vague too, or just excited listing of overblown features. No one can tell you why doing meaningless errands in Postal 2 is apparently fun, or how the rudimentary shooting with hosed mouse acceleration and bullet sponge enemies in big empty featureless rooms is mechanically sound, but there you go.

Honestly, they're kind of fascinating in a delusional sense, I'm always interested to see how they'll possibly twist the next turd of a GOG release into something good. The community is so uniformly stupid and focused on the idea that "everything old is better" that they're patently incapable of telling which old games were actually the good ones.

They all just pretend anyway, anyone who grew up playing these games can honestly tell apart a good old game from a bad one even if they never played those specific titles. These people were raised with modern gaming but they just can't admit it so they hang around on GOG and maybe actually play one or two games regularly and vaguely review the rest. They don't know anything about old games, but in their attempt to appear learned they refuse to partake in modern gaming so they end up knowing nothing about either and are just huge retards.

Like they say they'd rather play Wizardry 4 over Skyrim or Mass Effect but I played Wizardry 4 as a kid and the idea of playing that poo poo now makes me feel fatigued and frustrated before I even touch the mouse.

I just don't get the posturing. Why? What a lovely community.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wing Commander 4 has the additional problem that it's just a game about missiles that one-shot kill you and guns that take about 20 seconds of continuous fire to kill you. Which is fine, until you run out of decoys on waypoint 3 and die.

Also everyone wants to ram you and then you die instantly.

Really the Wing Commander games are not that good at the whole 'flying in space' bit at all. They're about really loving going all out on using the story to immerse you in the experience. And WC4 does that better than the others to be honest.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 19, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

The concept of reviews on GOG is pointless in the grand scheme of things. They're all lies for the most part, it's usually just people who want oldschool gamer cred so they act like Redneck Rampage or Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption are classic games instead of garbage that was almost uniformly derided back when they came out.
It's especially weird on games like Project Eden or Postal 2 that are fundamentally broken and just incredibly poorly designed and you see people praising it like it's the second coming of Christ.
The reviews are always super vague too, or just excited listing of overblown features. No one can tell you why doing meaningless errands in Postal 2 is apparently fun, or how the rudimentary shooting with hosed mouse acceleration and bullet sponge enemies in big empty featureless rooms is mechanically sound, but there you go.

Honestly, they're kind of fascinating in a delusional sense, I'm always interested to see how they'll possibly twist the next turd of a GOG release into something good. The community is so uniformly stupid and focused on the idea that "everything old is better" that they're patently incapable of telling which old games were actually the good ones.

They all just pretend anyway, anyone who grew up playing these games can honestly tell apart a good old game from a bad one even if they never played those specific titles. These people were raised with modern gaming but they just can't admit it so they hang around on GOG and maybe actually play one or two games regularly and vaguely review the rest. They don't know anything about old games, but in their attempt to appear learned they refuse to partake in modern gaming so they end up knowing nothing about either and are just huge retards.

Like they say they'd rather play Wizardry 4 over Skyrim or Mass Effect but I played Wizardry 4 as a kid and the idea of playing that poo poo now makes me feel fatigued and frustrated before I even touch the mouse.

I just don't get the posturing. Why? What a lovely community.

Redneck Rampage and Vampire Redemption were most certainly not "uniformly derided." Most reviews properly pointed out their flaws but they were both popular, well selling, and well received titles even among critics.

I'm not going to argue that the review system isn't broken. I have a problem with being able to review a game you don't own and although this raises concerns that a person who owns a game on a different platform can't rate it, there should definitely be a length criteria for everyone involved.

As far as new games vs old games, I'll tell you my point of view as someone who owns practically every console since the Magnavox Odyssey. To me, old games exist in a vacuum separate from everything else. It's foolish to compare a 20 year old product to one today because the medium is still young. Likewise I hate people who are like "I would rather play Daggerfall than Skyrim." No, no you do not.

To enjoy old games you need to be in the mindset of old games. There are very few titles I've played that transcend their time but that does not mean everything else is instantly poo poo. Yes, the original Tomb Raiders are hard to play if you're used to Uncharted and the remakes but once you get past the control barrier there's a game that's undeniably set apart from literally everything else on the market. We'll never play a classic style Resident Evil again and while most people are happy tank controls and save ribbons won't ever return this was the building block of all modern survival horror and it still works once you get used to the mindset.

I guess tl;dr I don't think even most of these games are garbage or not worth playing. Games have gotten universally better over time, this is undeniable, but there are still aspects about old games that have either evolved beyond recognition or simply don't exist anymore. After being disappointed with Bioshock Infinite I went back to System Shock because there's nothing really like it. Modern gaming is more polished and bigger budget but it still leaves me with a craving for old games because there's a giant void in design style that will never be filled again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For me it's more that there's some genres that just upped and died years ago (ie. Space shooters, notwithstanding their near-future revival) and a few games (ie. Ground Control, Baldur's Gate, Silent Storm) that remain timeless.

I'm not too interested in 'getting back in a 90's mindset' if there's a modern game that can trace a spiritual route back to it because those two decades of quality of life improvements probably matter.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

al-azad posted:

Redneck Rampage and Vampire Redemption were most certainly not "uniformly derided." Most reviews properly pointed out their flaws but they were both popular, well selling, and well received titles even among critics.

I'm not going to argue that the review system isn't broken. I have a problem with being able to review a game you don't own and although this raises concerns that a person who owns a game on a different platform can't rate it, there should definitely be a length criteria for everyone involved.

As far as new games vs old games, I'll tell you my point of view as someone who owns practically every console since the Magnavox Odyssey. To me, old games exist in a vacuum separate from everything else. It's foolish to compare a 20 year old product to one today because the medium is still young. Likewise I hate people who are like "I would rather play Daggerfall than Skyrim." No, no you do not.

To enjoy old games you need to be in the mindset of old games. There are very few titles I've played that transcend their time but that does not mean everything else is instantly poo poo. Yes, the original Tomb Raiders are hard to play if you're used to Uncharted and the remakes but once you get past the control barrier there's a game that's undeniably set apart from literally everything else on the market. We'll never play a classic style Resident Evil again and while most people are happy tank controls and save ribbons won't ever return this was the building block of all modern survival horror and it still works once you get used to the mindset.

I guess tl;dr I don't think even most of these games are garbage or not worth playing. Games have gotten universally better over time, this is undeniable, but there are still aspects about old games that have either evolved beyond recognition or simply don't exist anymore. After being disappointed with Bioshock Infinite I went back to System Shock because there's nothing really like it. Modern gaming is more polished and bigger budget but it still leaves me with a craving for old games because there's a giant void in design style that will never be filled again.

You're arguing against things I didn't even say, and yes, Redneck Rampage and Redemption were considered pretty average when they were released, and even back then "average" meant pretty poo poo, and they honestly are, Redneck Rampage is a clusterfuck of poorly designed levels and weaponry, and Redemption has idiotic party AI, completely unbalanced encounters, is a boring clickfest, and on release was slow as molasses and unoptimized. They are decidedly mediocre games and always were, and many magazines reflected that.

The issue I'm raising isn't with older games, but the fact that people idolize them for the most bizarre bullshit reasons. You say there are things you miss from older games that aren't present in modern ones. No poo poo, I feel the same way, it's why I prefer to play the original X-Com over the remake and am following the open source version, there are certainly games out there that are still worth playing, and in many cases, are superior to their descendants, just look at all the people that still play Civ II, or the fact that people regularly replay the original Fallouts over the newer titles.
You're giving actual legitimate reasons for liking to play older titles, the GOG community doesn't, they dilute the site with retarded bullshit because they have this misguided belief that latching onto things that, most likely, were never really a part of their life, as a way to define themselves in the "gaming community."
It's the same kind of idiotic personality substituting poo poo you see people who play indie-games do. Just go look at the Desura forums, there are literally threads screaming at Illwinter for possibly bringing Dominions 4 to Steam. Why? Who the gently caress knows, they don't raise any legitimate points, they just don't want a non-mainstream game on a mainstream platform.

It's the same thing with GOG, the people on its forums and the people who write the reviews are full of themselves and insufferable because they believe they're playing these games because they are uniformly better, and that nearly any modern game, save some exceptions, is poo poo.
Guess what, games back then were just as often poo poo. I remember being inundated with the worst of the worst during the early 90's, which coincidentally, seem to often be the most praised decade of the industry, despite it also being the one most rife with shovelware, copycat bullshit, and utter garbage.

That's the point I'm trying to make, they think there was some kind of golden age that passed, when in fact, they're looking at about 5% of the actual volume of titles that were released, and every now and then GOG puts some lovely or mediocre game on there, because how could you have a perfect track record on releases, and then immediately these idiots come out of the woodworks to praise things that are unpraisable.
These are the kind of people who would point out that Marathon was the "true original" of story-telling FPSes before Half-Life came around, despite Marathon being an enormous collection of text and Doom level design. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of why people enjoyed these games in the first place, they project something that never was onto these games, and most of them never even played them. It's one thing to say that you enjoyed Redneck Rampage, it's another thing to hoist it as an example of how shooters were "better" back then. That's what you're saying about the mindset, I get that, but they don't even have that mindset, they're putting it in the context of modern games and somehow coming up with the insane hypothesis that even with that viewpoint, these games are just better, period.

Also, probably the biggest reason these reviews are pointless is because you can't factor in the way games have aged. I couldn't bring myself to give Ultima IV anything lower than a 5 and glowing words, but I wouldn't want to play that game again today, because it aged terribly, even so, it's a part of gaming history and is arguably the most influential RPG ever created, so what the hell do you do? The star system just needs to be removed because it's ridiculous going onto something like Omikron: The Nomad Soul and seeing a 4.5 rating.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 19, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Redneck Rampage and Redemption both have a 70+ collected rating and back then, when scores were actually graded on a full 10 point scale, that meant something :colbert:. But no no, I get what you're saying now. I thought you were saying everything on GOG was universally poo poo but you're talking about the people who praise every title regardless of quality, regardless if they played it, and regardless if they have any experience with it. And I couldn't give a glowing review to games I enjoyed without any nostalgia even attached to it. My computer was never good enough to play Ultima Underworld so when it came out on GOG I found myself lost for hours. But would I ever recommend it to a new player over Skyrim? Hell no, not unless you like fighting the controls more than the monsters.

e: Holy poo poo there's a Dominions 4? I'm out of touch.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wicker Man posted:

Only for the few games I really, really like, I swear!

Turok 1 and 2 were so much fun, but did anyone ever play that Quake 3-like version on the N64, Rage I think? Did they ever put that on the PC?

I rented it once. It wasn't a bad game but it got old pretty quickly.

Speaking of Quake, I felt that the N64 version of Quake 2 was way better than it had any right to be. I actually think I prefer it over the PC version.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The FMV cutscenes in Privateer 2 were so awesomely cheesy :unsmith:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megadyptes posted:

The FMV cutscenes in Privateer 2 were so awesomely cheesy :unsmith:

And so terribly low-res. I feel like I can't tell what's going on half the time it's so blurry, pixelated, and interlaced.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alchenar posted:

Wing Commander 4 has the additional problem that it's just a game about missiles that one-shot kill you and guns that take about 20 seconds of continuous fire to kill you. Which is fine, until you run out of decoys on waypoint 3 and die.

Also everyone wants to ram you and then you die instantly.

Really the Wing Commander games are not that good at the whole 'flying in space' bit at all. They're about really loving going all out on using the story to immerse you in the experience. And WC4 does that better than the others to be honest.

Looks like I'll go with 3 and 4 then, as they seem like they're the more modern ones.
Do either of them require DOSBOX? I've never had any luck using it all that well, I get terrible performance and lately they've outright stopped working, I think the newest version of DOSBOX requires SSE2 and unfortunately I have a 10 year old CPU that doesn't have it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

Looks like I'll go with 3 and 4 then, as they seem like they're the more modern ones.
Do either of them require DOSBOX? I've never had any luck using it all that well, I get terrible performance and lately they've outright stopped working, I think the newest version of DOSBOX requires SSE2 and unfortunately I have a 10 year old CPU that doesn't have it.
WC3 runs through DOSBOX, WC4 doesn't.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

You seem really affected by something so insignificant.

Also, a judgmental rear end. Geeze.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You seem really affected by something so insignificant.

Also, a judgmental rear end. Geeze.

In his defense, everyone has a limit of Stupid they can take, and on the internet, it's around every corner.

Also, reviews from people who have played video games for 5 minutes and made a decisive decision on it (or haven't played them at all) and go even further by posting a review on it is stupid and a legitimate complaint. It's why I always tell people that the best review is playing the game yourself, like al-azad said, be in the mindset of the era the game was originally released in. That's a big key.

And people already know how I feel about Redneck Rampage. :colbert:

It's awesome.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Charles Martel posted:

In his defense, everyone has a limit of Stupid they can take, and on the internet, it's around every corner.

Also, reviews from people who have played video games for 5 minutes and made a decisive decision on it (or haven't played them at all) and go even further by posting a review on it is stupid and a legitimate complaint. It's why I always tell people that the best review is playing the game yourself, like al-azad said, be in the mindset of the era the game was originally released in. That's a big key.

It's awesome.

Yes, I agree, but judging these games to how they stack up on a technical level with current generations games is idiotic. To use his example, yes there are people who prefer Daggerfall for a multitude of visual and gameplay preferences. And they will probably say it's a really good game. Saying these people aren't really enjoying it like they should enjoy Skyrim and are merely posing is some holier than thou bullshit.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ugh it would be awesome if my payments to GOG weren't seemingly automatically declined, even through paypal! :negative:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shukaro posted:

Ugh it would be awesome if my payments to GOG weren't seemingly automatically declined, even through paypal! :negative:

Might want to check with your bank. My wife's flagged GOG because they were overseas when she first bought from them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

macnbc posted:

Might want to check with your bank. My wife's flagged GOG because they were overseas when she first bought from them.

Paypal would get around that, though. It's the only way I can buy stuff from Greenmangaming, for instance.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Charles Martel posted:

It's awesome.

The only game where you can drive a swamp boat and fire dynamite from a crossbow! It also got me into goo-goo clusters, which were so delicious!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Weekend promo is up: 60% off of RPGs!

Also, have another free game re-packaged with GOG's usual effort: the Australian-made point-and-click adventure Flight of the Amazon Queen!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

Also, have another free game re-packaged with GOG's usual effort: the Australian-made point-and-click adventure Flight of the Amazon Queen!

Oh God, Wiz8 on sale again.
It's like it's calling to me but... :shepspends:

Ended up buying WC3, going to try it on my Win7 laptop, it'll likely run fine on it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

Crap, I shouldn't have bought Divinity II on Steam. Even if was three dollars less, I missed out on all the bonus content. :sigh:

Also, regarding Privateer 2, I've heard that it has a lot of issues, not just in terms of bugs and game crashes, but that it was a step down from the first game in terms of gameplay.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Crap, I shouldn't have bought Divinity II on Steam. Even if was three dollars less, I missed out on all the bonus content. :sigh:

Don't worry, most of it comes with the Steam version too.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I say this every time it goes on sale, but to be sure — buy Arcanum.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Don't worry, most of it comes with the Steam version too.

Doesn't the director's cut automatically get added to your library if you have Divinity II on Steam? I got Divinity II DKS on Steam and as soon as the director's cut came out, it just popped up on my game list. By then I had already finished it though--what new content got added in the Director's Cut? I heard there was like a cheat console added but that's all I've heard about it.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Genpei Turtle posted:

Doesn't the director's cut automatically get added to your library if you have Divinity II on Steam?
Yup.

quote:

I heard there was like a cheat console added but that's all I've heard about it.
The console was the only thing added to Dragon Knight Saga. It can be fun to mess around with, but really the whole developer's cut thing was just a cash grab by the developers. That or an attempt to end the confusion surrounding whether to get Ego Draconis vs Dragon Knight Saga.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

Also, if anyone hasn't played Legend of Grimrock, get it, for it is wonderful.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spider wisdom posted:

And install the patch. Do not play the game without the patch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

spider wisdom posted:

Pro-Tip for inventory space management: If you can fit it into your inventory in the first place, you can put it in a quickslot and free up main inventory space.

Which was a real lifesaver when I wanted to take an item almost as large as your entire inventory without leaving my stuff behind.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, if anyone hasn't played Legend of Grimrock, get it, for it is wonderful.

I would get this in a heartbeat if it a) were a roguelike and b) entirely controllable by keyboard. It looks like the interface is all clicking buttons with the mouse, an invitation for my old RSI to kick back in.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

The Kins posted:

This is a good list of games. The only one I'd avoid is Eschalon, which features some of the most painfully slow character movement. The world is rather big and there's a lot to explore but it's a drag to backtrack and get anywhere. It might seem like a small niggle but it seriously hampered my enjoyment of the game. Haven't tried Eschalon 2, however, since the first one wore me down.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I would get this in a heartbeat if it a) were a roguelike and b) entirely controllable by keyboard. It looks like the interface is all clicking buttons with the mouse, an invitation for my old RSI to kick back in.

It's a throwback to the old adventure/RPGs like Lands of Lord and Stonekeep. Making it a roguelike wouldn't make any sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grimrock is basically Dungeon Master 2012 and even has some puzzles straight from Dungeon Master. It wouldn't work at all as a roguelike because the dungeon design is the game's highlight. It would have been nice to have attack hotkeys as later DM clones had, it certainly didn't break Eye of the Beholder, but the mouse is still integral for the puzzles and inventory so it's not like you could play this game entirely without the mouse.