Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Korwin posted:

Wonder how much the numbers Change with an N9B9 bless...

Had a dude cast mass regen on the jags; 550 bandits against 145 jags, 160 died.
With antimagic for the archers; 480 against 145, 72 died.
Also I did this:

All damage the Hannyas do is fire and they have 33 fire resistance and 17 mr.
That's 11755 gold in dead jaguars and 13600 in dead mages, without the jags even doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zombie #246 posted:

I finally got this (the new one, anyway).

Don't really need to be. Mages are much more resistant to it, but unless they have either resistance to what they're doing or a crapload of HP or really high MR, they are going to loving explode after one or two area effects. The sheer volume of rolls practically guarantees it. Mictlan is a hell of a lot scarier now in spite of all the changes. Also, the Smoking Mirror may have just become a decent pretender choice.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fleur Bleu posted:

Had a dude cast mass regen on the jags; 550 bandits against 145 jags, 160 died.
With antimagic for the archers; 480 against 145, 72 died.
Also I did this:

All damage the Hannyas do is fire and they have 33 fire resistance and 17 mr.
That's 11755 gold in dead jaguars and 13600 in dead mages, without the jags even doing anything.

Yeah, that blood bless is looking hilariously cost effective against mages. It's not great against archers, but that's not the main reason you'd pick a B9 bless anyway. An N9B9 or potentially D9B9 (how does undying interact with second shape?) bless might make it even sillier by giving the jags even more hp to blood vengeance back out. D9 also has the advantage of death weapons, which helps your jags pack a bigger punch - I don't think regen on jags is necessarily the best investment. A minor nature bless might be worth it though, especially with dual forms giving effectively twice the hp.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Prostrat is clearly an F9D9N5B9 bless with the Teotl of War (possibly requires imprisonment and T3S3C2D3M3D3 scales, but is still Dom 10!).

Undying and second shape - if you finish a battle with -hp on your Jags' first form, it basically pops them into their second form , and they're fine.

One thing about undying units - absolutely do not let a diseased blessed guy (prophet/one of those blessed all the time gear upgrades) who is on -hp enter a battle unless they're undead. They can keep on truckin' in the overworld until they hit their Undying limit, but if they can't get back to positive HP during a battle, they die early.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, that blood bless is looking hilariously cost effective against mages. It's not great against archers, but that's not the main reason you'd pick a B9 bless anyway. An N9B9 or potentially D9B9 (how does undying interact with second shape?) bless might make it even sillier by giving the jags even more hp to blood vengeance back out. D9 also has the advantage of death weapons, which helps your jags pack a bigger punch - I don't think regen on jags is necessarily the best investment. A minor nature bless might be worth it though, especially with dual forms giving effectively twice the hp.

Undying interacts amazingly with second shape. It definitely gives the jags more staying power at the cost of some offensive ability. Either works perfectly fine in most situations though I still prefer B9F9 because the combination of blood's strength and fire's atk/flaming weapons makes Mictlan's flying multi-attack sacreds brutal in the extreme. Stack it with blood lust/rush of strength and your sacred demons can murder pretty much anything.

Which is good because you are going to have less of them with the changes to unrest.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 20, 2013

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Undying interacts amazingly with second shape.

what, exactly, is this interaction? I still don't get it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Superterranean posted:

what, exactly, is this interaction? I still don't get it.

Undying lets your units drop to -undying value before they actually die. The reason this would be so great with jags (and second shape in general) is that it gives you multiple extra batches of HP. In your first form you get an extra 8 hp or whatever from undying, you pop, change shapes into the jaguar form and get another extra 8 hp. This is my assumption anyways, I haven't actually tested it with jaguars or not to see if the negative hp value just ends up transferring to the second form or not.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I haven't been keeping myself very up to date on what has been going on in dom4, but just want to confirm: the official (non-beta) release date is still the 28th, right?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It seems that way. Though it's still sorta in beta as there's a bunch of bugs still needing to be fixed. The nice thing is that Illwinter is going to add a lot of content for free in their patches.

Anyways, are hauls like this influenced by Luck scales? This is a B1 hunter in a 5000 pop province. Practically a virgin a day for a month.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 20, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

It seems that way. Though it's still sorta in beta as there's a bunch of bugs still needing to be fixed. The nice thing is that Illwinter is going to add a lot of content for free in their patches.

Anyways, are hauls like this influenced by Luck scales? This is a B1 hunter in a 5000 pop province. Practically a virgin a day for a month.

It's just a lucky open ended die roll.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lilli posted:

Undying lets your units drop to -undying value before they actually die. The reason this would be so great with jags (and second shape in general) is that it gives you multiple extra batches of HP. In your first form you get an extra 8 hp or whatever from undying, you pop, change shapes into the jaguar form and get another extra 8 hp. This is my assumption anyways, I haven't actually tested it with jaguars or not to see if the negative hp value just ends up transferring to the second form or not.
OK, let me lay it out for you:

In-battle:

- First form lasts until the end of negative HP, so 12HP, plus whatever Nature bless HP they have, plus Undying HP.
- Second form starts with normal Jag HP, plus your bless, and also has Undying.

End of battle:

- Units on Undying HP in the first (non-Jaguar) form will pop into the second form at the end of the battle, and will survive onto the strategic map.
- Units on Undying HP in the second (Jaguar) form will die off and not survive onto the strategic map.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If a unit survives battle, it's generally gets its HP healed right?

So a blessed undead going into undying HP and surviving will be at full strength after?

I'm going off the post on Dom3mods, but the phrase "survive with negative HP" is a little ambiguous.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

If a unit survives battle, it's generally gets its HP healed right?
Right, except if it's diseased or Never Heals and isn't a magic being in a province with a lab.

quote:

So a blessed undead going into undying HP and surviving will be at full strength after?
Should do, unless it Never Heals. Honestly haven't used any blessed undead stuff with a D blessing and remembered to check, but can do some testing.

*edit after testing*

OK it looks like even normally never-healing Undead are actually repaired to full health if they survive a battle on negative HP while blessed with D4+

Vaguely exploitable on units like Knights of the Sepulchre, given they only have 6hp and are allegedly never-healing, since a D9 bless will effectively give them full post-battle regen and up to 166% additional health, so long as they end between -1 and -10hp.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 20, 2013

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's just a lucky open ended die roll.

Speaking of, did they ever resolve the PRNG issues that 3 had? The weird cyclical bias is really at odds with the idea of open ended die rolls.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just picked up Dom4 from Desura and I have no idea where to find my CD key. Can someone give me a hint :downs:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I just picked up Dom4 from Desura and I have no idea where to find my CD key. Can someone give me a hint :downs:
Right-click on it in the Play tab of your Desura client. View CD Key is about in the middle of the list of options.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's also an option to view the changelog, which instantly catapults Desura ahead of Steam in my book.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is it possible to do from the website or do I need to download the client?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I believe you need to get the client. If you're worrying about it, think a less intrusive Origin. Same deal of basically turning it on to play a game, then turning it off (unlike Steam, which I tend to leave on, don't know about anyone else).

Literally lies and foreign propaganda, listen to other people.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 21, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You can get the key from the website. Click the "Play game" button on the website, then "view keys" on the popup.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
No, you don't need the client to download Desura games. At least not Dom4.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You might actually need the client to get the CD key, I can't see anything on the website for that.

Edit: I apparently have a brain condition where anything posted by Zurai gets filed under "ignore this and make yourself look like a moron!"

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 21, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tooterfish posted:

You might actually need the client to get the CD key, I can't see anything on the website for that.

I didn't, although I promptly forgot how I did it. Give me a minute and I'll take a look.

EDIT: Press "Play Game" and then "view keys." No client install necessary.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

tooterfish posted:

Edit: I apparently have a brain condition where anything posted by Zurai gets filed under "ignore this and make yourself look like a moron!"

No worries, the only reason I knew myself is that I spent like half an hour trying to find the key when I bought the game. I ended up just giving in and hitting the Play Game button assuming it'd lead me to the client and what do you know, there's the way to the key.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So is Astral still 1 free nohit and how does that interact with blood vengeance?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

So is Astral still 1 free nohit and how does that interact with blood vengeance?

Yes, and no idea.

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance
I'm just getting into this series (playing dom4 beta, never played dom3) and am having trouble fending off water nations. For instance, in one game I've secured a large peninsula with choke points, but am now being harassed by R'lyeh from several directions.

I know there are items that add water breathing, and that water nations have their own obstacles to overcome, but I'm just wondering generally how water nations are dealt with, especially in early mid-game. I don't quite understand how that mechanic works.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Generally, you yell at whoever chose a dumb map that let one water nation develop without having to fight for survival until he feels bad and swears never to do it again. Then you stall a while while you research your choice of thug chassis + gear or water breathing items, and take your superior land-based thuggery/air magic underwater to stomp on them in a tedious mm1 slog. At least you can recruit pd down there now, so it should be ever so slightly less awful.

Ideally, there are zero water nations or two water nations sharing seven provinces so they strangle themselves early and don't become relevant to anything before the game ends.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Isn't there also a global that freezes all the oceans and prevent movement in to/out of water provinces? That'd be a late-game option, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except that R'lyeh has high astral and will dispel the poo poo out of it.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Yeah, Ur is quickly becoming one of my favourite nations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

dis astranagant posted:

Except that R'lyeh has high astral and will dispel the poo poo out of it.

It's iffy. Dispel costs 25+ pearls, the most valuable gem type which has tons of uses and you probably want to hold onto for a while. Sea of Ice on the other hand costs 35 water gems, arguably the least valuable gem type in vanilla. So you can safely throw in a hundred plus water gems into the enchantment while you probably wouldn't risk a hundred astral pearls on dispel.

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance

Irony.or.Death posted:

Generally, you yell at whoever chose a dumb map that let one water nation develop without having to fight for survival until he feels bad and swears never to do it again. Then you stall a while while you research your choice of thug chassis + gear or water breathing items, and take your superior land-based thuggery/air magic underwater to stomp on them in a tedious mm1 slog. At least you can recruit pd down there now, so it should be ever so slightly less awful.

Ideally, there are zero water nations or two water nations sharing seven provinces so they strangle themselves early and don't become relevant to anything before the game ends.

Haha, well it's all AI so that's my fault :P. I actually set that game up specifically to see what the water nation would do, using the Shadowshore map. It just seems to me that water nations are very hard to counter, especially when it's a peripheral threat, which I imagine it usually is.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The best way to beat R'lyeh is to convince someone to play Oceania.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

It's iffy. Dispel costs 25+ pearls, the most valuable gem type which has tons of uses and you probably want to hold onto for a while. Sea of Ice on the other hand costs 35 water gems, arguably the least valuable gem type in vanilla. So you can safely throw in a hundred plus water gems into the enchantment while you probably wouldn't risk a hundred astral pearls on dispel.

Alternatively, they can just leave it and chill in their un-attackable sea. R'lyeh can teleport their poo poo around.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A hundred plus water gems is 8 or 9 cata... catobl... death bulls!

That's a lot of death stare.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tooterfish posted:

A hundred plus water gems is 8 or 9 cata... catobl... death bulls!

That's a lot of death stare.

Alternatively, it's 50 pearls.

But catoplebas' work too.

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

catobleps are my favorite dom3 summon after Ozelotl, you gotta be careful where you position them but theyre so cool

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Catoblepas, people. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cattlebops, got it.

• Locked thread