Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm in a weird situation, and I just want to make sure I'm thinking through it correctly.

I have an iPhone 4S on Sprint through my work. I'm moving to a new position that doesn't get a paid for phone, so I'm planning on joining my girlfriend's Verizon plan (converting to a Family/Share whatever plan). I probably need to do this within the next 10 days.

Since we're unlikely to find a 5S tomorrow (or for a few days/weeks), if I wanted to switch over to her plan, I'd need a Verizon phone from somewhere, right? I'm hoping a friend or coworker happens to have something sitting in a drawer, in order to save my subsidy for the iPhone 5S whenever it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

canyonero posted:

I'm in a weird situation, and I just want to make sure I'm thinking through it correctly.

I have an iPhone 4S on Sprint through my work. I'm moving to a new position that doesn't get a paid for phone, so I'm planning on joining my girlfriend's Verizon plan (converting to a Family/Share whatever plan). I probably need to do this within the next 10 days.

Since we're unlikely to find a 5S tomorrow (or for a few days/weeks), if I wanted to switch over to her plan, I'd need a Verizon phone from somewhere, right? I'm hoping a friend or coworker happens to have something sitting in a drawer, in order to save my subsidy for the iPhone 5S whenever it's available.

Yes, you need a verizon phone with a clean ESN.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Is Verizon Edge a ripoff plan or is it a legit good thing? Seems benign on the surface.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Psyker posted:

Is Verizon Edge a ripoff plan or is it a legit good thing? Seems benign on the surface.

They are ripoffs as they still dont discount your plan when not using a subsidy. So you are essentially paying for your service, a subsidy you are paying for but not taking advantage of, and the edge costs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Psyker posted:

Horrible ripoff.

Kino
Aug 2, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

For what its worth for people interested in the Max/6GB plan, I called customer care, and she knew what I was referring to immediately, notated my account that I had already been proven eligible, and said to just go ahead and do the upgrade, then call back and they would change it.

So basically what others in here have said, but I wanted to make sure.

I just got back from a retail VZW store where I upgraded to a Maxx from an account with unlimited. I actually got a rep who immediately knew about the 6GB non-edge plan and moved me over to it with no problem, was pretty surprised. I guess word must finally be spreading about it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Kino posted:

I just got back from a retail VZW store where I upgraded to a Maxx from an account with unlimited. I actually got a rep who immediately knew about the 6GB non-edge plan and moved me over to it with no problem, was pretty surprised. I guess word must finally be spreading about it.

Does your plan already show the change to 6GB?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Has anyone ever had any luck calling and complaining about signal quality? My work phone is with Verizon and my reception is poo poo at home but works great everywhere else. Their coverage maps show that I should have "excellent" voice and 4G LTE coverage but standing in my driveway I'm lucky to get a single bar of 3G and call quality is terrible depending on which way I'm facing or (seemingly) depending on what direction the wind is blowing. I've read on the Verizon support forums that some people have had success by calling customer support.

Also, I'm unable to get an IP booster because I don't have a Verizon account of my own and my employer refuses to even entertain the idea of getting me one. Their response was pretty much "deal with it or change carriers."

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 20, 2013

Kino
Aug 2, 2003

JP Money posted:

Does your plan already show the change to 6GB?

Yep, My Verizon now shows me as having a 6GB cap under the same Nationwide Talk Share plan I had before. Pulling up the receipt it lists the "Verizon Max 6GB $30" plan as now being on the account.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Kino posted:

Yep, My Verizon now shows me as having a 6GB cap under the same Nationwide Talk Share plan I had before. Pulling up the receipt it lists the "Verizon Max 6GB $30" plan as now being on the account.

I'm still waiting on mine to go through. I think since I already activated the phone they had to submit a request to change my data plan.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Geoj posted:

Has anyone ever had any luck calling and complaining about signal quality? My work phone is with Verizon and my reception is poo poo at home but works great everywhere else. Their coverage maps show that I should have "excellent" voice and 4G LTE coverage but standing in my driveway I'm lucky to get a single bar of 3G and call quality is terrible depending on which way I'm facing or (seemingly) depending on what direction the wind is blowing. I've read on the Verizon support forums that some people have had success by calling customer support.

Also, I'm unable to get an IP booster because I don't have a Verizon account of my own and my employer refuses to even entertain the idea of getting me one. Their response was pretty much "deal with it or change carriers."

What would you expect them to do? Install a new tower?

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan, with unlimited text and talk. $150

Last month I used 1400 minutes, sent 3400 texts and barely used a gigabyte of data, however there are months where I use a crap ton of everything.

Is it still worth me hanging on to the unlimited no slow down data plan?

The $150 isn't killing me but you know, if its not worth me spending all that and I can save $70/mo its still $70.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

bam thwok posted:

Realizing now that the droid maxx I just got has a different sized SIM card than my VZW gnex, so I guess I need an adapter now to pop the SIM card into my ipad. Anyone buy one of these that wasn't a dainty plastic piece of junk?

bam thwok posted:

I don't get it :(

The new sim for my phone is smaller than the one my ipad takes (2nd or 3rd generation, I can never remember which). How is making it smaller going to help?

Motorola opted to use the nano sim card that Apple designed for the iPhone 5. it uses slightly less plastic than a micro sim card so it's physically smaller than micro sim. Apple's idea was shrink the card so they could use a smaller sim card tray to take up less room on the motherboard and be thinner... allowing them to make smaller phones, etc. Motorola is just the 1st Android manufacturer to design for them. On Verizon, Verizon spec'ed the Moto X and the new Droid line to allow for a nano sim with the NFC element for Isis. It is an annoyance if you are looking to upgrade from a 4G phone and aren't looking to deal with a store. GSM standards allow for sim card cutting between a few of the different sizes (and using adapters to use smaller formfactor cards for larger slots). Relatively new territory for Verizon, of course.

Apparently Apple had more than a few issues getting the phone carriers, other manufacturers, and whoever sets the standards for GSM to accept Apple's design.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Don Lapre posted:

What would you expect them to do? Install a new tower?

I've heard they can fine-tune the towers to make slight improvements. I'm not expecting them to put up a tower across the street, I'd just like to be able to make a call from my driveway (or even inside!) without random disconnects because I'm facing too far east or sunspot activity is up 5% from yesterday. And who knows, if enough people in a specific area complain they just might put up a new tower.

Also, sorry for bothering you with my questions.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 20, 2013

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

What's my best deal for a plan going into Verizon tomorrow to get my 5s? Clearly the Edge plan is pretty loving bonkers stupid, but can you only get into the Max plans through the Edge plan?

e: I'm usually on Wifi so I don't need a substantial data plan at all.

E2: This would be an upgrade on my existing plan. 450 minutes talk, unlimited text, 2gb data (of which I literally use under half a gig per month due to WiFi).

Psyker fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 20, 2013

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

LaptopGun posted:

Motorola opted to use the nano sim card that Apple designed for the iPhone 5. it uses slightly less plastic than a micro sim card so it's physically smaller than micro sim. Apple's idea was shrink the card so they could use a smaller sim card tray to take up less room on the motherboard and be thinner... allowing them to make smaller phones, etc. Motorola is just the 1st Android manufacturer to design for them. On Verizon, Verizon spec'ed the Moto X and the new Droid line to allow for a nano sim with the NFC element for Isis. It is an annoyance if you are looking to upgrade from a 4G phone and aren't looking to deal with a store. GSM standards allow for sim card cutting between a few of the different sizes (and using adapters to use smaller formfactor cards for larger slots). Relatively new territory for Verizon, of course.

Apparently Apple had more than a few issues getting the phone carriers, other manufacturers, and whoever sets the standards for GSM to accept Apple's design.

Okay, so to fit my new nano SIM card into the slot that my old GNex would use, what sized adapter do I need?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Geoj posted:

They offered me a thing to connect to my internet for $150, which didn't really seem worth it. Regular price is like $200.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Yeah, that's the "IP booster" I was talking about. I work for a very large corporation (read: unbending) and the wireless services people pretty much told me to gently caress myself, even if I agreed to pay out of pocket for one.

Sprint is a non-starter for me - I used to have a plan with them and while voice was good their data network is all 3G by me, and terrible 3G to boot - and I'd have to get a lovely phone if I went with AT&T, so I'm pretty much stuck with Verizon.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 20, 2013

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Psyker posted:

What's my best deal for a plan going into Verizon tomorrow to get my 5s? Clearly the Edge plan is pretty loving bonkers stupid, but can you only get into the Max plans through the Edge plan?

e: I'm usually on Wifi so I don't need a substantial data plan at all.

E2: This would be an upgrade on my existing plan. 450 minutes talk, unlimited text, 2gb data (of which I literally use under half a gig per month due to WiFi).

I just called vzw and they told me you couldn't do max without going for the edge plan.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Vintimus Prime posted:

I just called vzw and they told me you couldn't do max without going for the edge plan.

Call again

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

yeah, it's pretty publicized online. I wouldn't qualify anyways as I don't have an old grandfathered contract. I'm figuring stick with my current plan and avoid going Edge because I'm not going to upgrade my phone every 6 months.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
So is it possible to upgrade on Amazon and keep unlimited or will it be changed later? I've been through the ordering process and selected "keep my current plan" and everything looks the same. After I hit "order" though will things (unlimited data options) come crashing down? Googling around shows answers are mixed.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Last year my wife's phone got stolen and a Verizon rep said the best way to keep unlimited data on her line was to open a new line and get the iPhone on that then we used an old droid on the new line and transfered the iPhone to that.

I was thinking about getting a 5S, can I transfer my updgrade to that account I don't use and do the same thing again?

If so will I gently caress up anything in the process?

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Anyone have an inkling when the unlimited -> 6gb thing is ending? I'm not up for an upgrade till january :(

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I went to a Verizon store last night and the manager told me there was no such thing as the Verizon Max plan without signing up for Edge, and that using my mom's upgrade on our family plan to buy a phone and subsequently using it on my line would cause my unlimited data to go away. He said there were ways to keep unlimited but that they are loopholes and they aren't allowed to do it.

Edit: I can't imagine this is a new policy for Verizon or the internet would be full of people going crazy. I assumed it was just a particularly unhelpful store manager.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 20, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ernie Luckman posted:

Anyone have an inkling when the unlimited -> 6gb thing is ending? I'm not up for an upgrade till january :(

The what?

I am still on grandfathered unlimited. Explain what you are speaking of, por favor.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The Max plan is completely independent of the Edge plan. We do it at Costco and we are unable to do Edge whatsoever.

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.
I just went in and preordered a 5s. They said that I could not do the upgrade swap to keep unlimited, but once I gave her the sfo code from this thread for the 6gb max plan, she applied it with no issues. Her sales reps had no idea of the plan, could not search for it, but when I gave her the code she pulled it up without any issues.

6gb is a heck of a lot better deal than 2gb. No mention of edge when I signed up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello again, Verizon Thread. Need to know what are the best options for a used Andriod phone I could probably find on Craigslist for around 100 - 125.

Previously found a Galaxy nexus, and was very happy with it, but dropped it, and Liquid death bled all through the screen and repair shops want to charge $200+ to replace it, so I'll just get a new phone. So, whats good out there, in my price range?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Hello again, Verizon Thread. Need to know what are the best options for a used Andriod phone I could probably find on Craigslist for around 100 - 125.

Previously found a Galaxy nexus, and was very happy with it, but dropped it, and Liquid death bled all through the screen and repair shops want to charge $200+ to replace it, so I'll just get a new phone. So, whats good out there, in my price range?

There's nothing good out there in that range. Another GNex, an original RAZR, or a Rezound would cost around that and all of them would be basically serviceable for a while.

There's also the iPhone 4 and the Nokia Whatever if you're not married to Android.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Geoj posted:

^
Yeah, that's the "IP booster" I was talking about. I work for a very large corporation (read: unbending) and the wireless services people pretty much told me to gently caress myself, even if I agreed to pay out of pocket for one.

Sprint is a non-starter for me - I used to have a plan with them and while voice was good their data network is all 3G by me, and terrible 3G to boot - and I'd have to get a lovely phone if I went with AT&T, so I'm pretty much stuck with Verizon.

Thats pretty stupid, as it won't cost them a dime to support the thing if you buy it yourself, you don't know anyone with a Verizon acct? It just needs to be provisioned on there and it does its job.

Hell, if you get one and let me know the MAC address I'll activate it for you.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

therealjon_ posted:

Last year my wife's phone got stolen and a Verizon rep said the best way to keep unlimited data on her line was to open a new line and get the iPhone on that then we used an old droid on the new line and transfered the iPhone to that.

I was thinking about getting a 5S, can I transfer my updgrade to that account I don't use and do the same thing again?

If so will I gently caress up anything in the process?

I did a transfer upgrade last week to keep unlimited and it worked fine. You have to transfer your upgrade to your wife's line, buy the new phone with it, then activate it on her line. Then you can go to MyVerizon and switch the devices. The "loophole" is that they can technically do the device switch for you, but they get in trouble for it if you get audited, so you have to do it on your own. I had a particularly helpful rep who walked us through it when we signed into MyVerizon, and also helped with the sim card size changes that arose with the specific phones we were using.

It's possible and took like 15-30 minutes, and our plan remains exactly the same.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Ernie Luckman posted:

"For a limited time" is the official lingo. Promo dates show 8/25/13 - TBD (to be determined.) Usually these things run for a few months but tend to be extended longer if they are popular.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Is the 6GB thing in store only, or certain resellers. My brother just got a One from Amazon today and wondering if he should make a phone call.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Droid Life did a comprehensive "how to keep your Unlimited" article this past week:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17/keep-unlimited-data-verizon-upgrade/#more-119563

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you're having trouble convincing someone that the promotion exists just give them the code that I posted (filter my posts) and they should be able to enter it in eROES/Iconic.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

FordPRefectLL posted:

If you're having trouble convincing someone that the promotion exists just give them the code that I posted (filter my posts) and they should be able to enter it in eROES/Iconic.

Yep, I did the upgrade this morning and with the code it was painless. Even better there was a glitch with activating my wife's iphone 5s and somehow she kept unlimited.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

Is the sfo for the max program only able to be used at upgrade, or could I switch my current plan over to it?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'll check in the morning when I get to work if nobody else knows the answer to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

film_critic posted:

I just went in and preordered a 5s. They said that I could not do the upgrade swap to keep unlimited, but once I gave her the sfo code from this thread for the 6gb max plan, she applied it with no issues. Her sales reps had no idea of the plan, could not search for it, but when I gave her the code she pulled it up without any issues.

6gb is a heck of a lot better deal than 2gb. No mention of edge when I signed up.

As I mentioned above, I am also grandfathered in unlimited. I too am looking to grab an iPhone 5s. Where is this code you mention? They will give the unlimited $30mo. for 6gb plan for same price?

The Bananana posted:

Sending you a PM.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 22, 2013

• Locked thread