Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Velious will definitely be a complete and utter loving trainwreck on P99.

-It'll have all sorts of bugs (look at the launch of original P99, Kunark, epics, VP, etc).
-Every guild (well, raiding at least) will see a huge loving explosion of numbers, due to all of them having probably five times the number of members tagged compared to what's active today, due to the poo poo turnover on this server.
-Expect some old guilds to show up again - IB at least will be back in a real force.
-Due to the huge influx of numbers, a new raiding guild or two showing up wouldn't be a surprise.
-Don't expect any old world / Kunark mob that has anything related to an epic on it to be easier (CT, Inny, Fay, Trak, etc) - actually, expect it to get more contested.
-Some current targets *might* ease up. Vox maybe. Some VP dragons maybe.
-Expect TMO to run multiple raid squads to continue to hold as much content as possible. Also expect them to run multiple factions too.

According to the timeline, when does Hate/Fear 2.0 come out? At that point all their loot moves to sub bosses, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
From http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches.html
Velious goes live Dec 6 2000.
Hate and Fear get revamped with new minibosses and better loot Mar 14 2001.
Luclin goes live Dec 4 2001.

So it's something we should see on P1999 and, hopefully, something they will push through fairly quickly considering we've been stuck on Kunark for 2 years.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

From http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches.html
Velious goes live Dec 6 2000.
Hate and Fear get revamped with new minibosses and better loot Mar 14 2001.
Luclin goes live Dec 4 2001.

So it's something we should see on P1999 and, hopefully, something they will push through fairly quickly considering we've been stuck on Kunark for 2 years.

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind if they went to Luclin next and just kept going. Development takes so long that it would be okay with me.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind if they went to Luclin next and just kept going. Development takes so long that it would be okay with me.

I mean, it's so far out there that it's not like they really know what (if anything) they'll do, but there have been comments before about stopping blue99 at Velious, but copying to another server, and going forward with custom content.

So you'd always have a "pure" original trilogy server, but also have future expansions but with an adherence to "the vision". Although I think Luclin is the only one that broke it, as PoP seemed to be in line with it according to most opinions.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I didn't see anything that "broke" the vision, other than some seriously strict raid requirements and an extensive keying process to get you into endgame zones. But that's just me.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I didn't see anything that "broke" the vision, other than some seriously strict raid requirements and an extensive keying process to get you into endgame zones. But that's just me.

I think people liked the keying process, no matter how much they bitch about it - that felt like it was part of The Vision [tm]. Just a natural evolution of VP key and such.

I think most people hated Space Cats on the Moon. Which, as I like to bring up....is actually true to the vision, people just don't remember things like Kerra Isle and UFO.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Velious will definitely be a complete and utter loving trainwreck on P99.

-It'll have all sorts of bugs (look at the launch of original P99, Kunark, epics, VP, etc).
-Every guild (well, raiding at least) will see a huge loving explosion of numbers, due to all of them having probably five times the number of members tagged compared to what's active today, due to the poo poo turnover on this server.
-Expect some old guilds to show up again - IB at least will be back in a real force.
-Due to the huge influx of numbers, a new raiding guild or two showing up wouldn't be a surprise.
-Don't expect any old world / Kunark mob that has anything related to an epic on it to be easier (CT, Inny, Fay, Trak, etc) - actually, expect it to get more contested.
-Some current targets *might* ease up. Vox maybe. Some VP dragons maybe.
-Expect TMO to run multiple raid squads to continue to hold as much content as possible. Also expect them to run multiple factions too.

According to the timeline, when does Hate/Fear 2.0 come out? At that point all their loot moves to sub bosses, right?

This sounds very accurate.

I can personally say that I have a 60 enchanter that will be back when Velious drops.

It's been so long since my last login that I'm probably still tagged as <Vesica Dei> :buddy: .

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

iNteg posted:

Luclin would not have looked as bad as it did if it had come after Kunark, but it didn't. It came after Velious, which was such a huge step forward with regard to end game content that it made the not-even-as-cool-as-Kunark poo poo that was the Luclin end game stand out as the huge step backwards that it was.

The only redeeming feature of Luclin's endgame was Ssra temple, which as a raid zone did some new things that put it somewhere around DN levels of cool. Seru was an obvious and lovely attempt to one-up AoW and it was boring as gently caress. VT had the most retarded key quest ever, beating out even the VP key quest for tediousness, and due to the much faster dissemination of info by that time, it resulted in tons of people in guilds who had never even been to Ssra temple camping the components often solely to cockblock guilds that were actually able to finish keys. To add insult to injury, rather than unlocking an unprecedentedly difficult and dangerous raid zone that almost no one even attempted when it was released (VP), a finished key opened up one of the most poorly designed raid zones in the history of MMOs with insanely boring and time consuming trash mobs and ridiculously easy (but again tedious and boring) loot pinata bosses. Their design philosophy was literally adding zeroes to HP values to increase the difficulty.

This isn't even mentioning things like the Bazaar and the NPC teleporters that were the beginning of the war on player interdependence and incentivizing social interaction that remains to this day the defining feature of Classic EQ, or the inflated ZEM of many Luclin zones trivializing old world zones as leveling destinations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

This isn't even mentioning things like the Bazaar and the NPC teleporters that were the beginning of the war on player interdependence and incentivizing social interaction that remains to this day the defining feature of Classic EQ, or the inflated ZEM of many Luclin zones trivializing old world zones as leveling destinations.

I don't know how every loving time someone brings up how Luclin was lovely, that I completely forget about this. It's so bad that my brain blocks it out.

I mean...I dunno, I'd think any game without some of these things today would be absolute garbage, but for the time and the way EQ worked then, it was horrible.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
When did EQ actually get maps? I get loving lost everywhere

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Day one, in your instruction manual. :colbert: I remember downloading a third party program that did maps way back when and I felt like some kind of technical genius

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There were (and still are) some awesome programs that could generate maps by ripping loc results out of your logs. I mostly stuck with printouts from EQAtlas and other sites, though I made a few maps of my own for zones like Paw and Everfrost very early on.

The ingame map window I think got added in when SOE released the new interface in 2002 just before PoP but it didn't come with maps at first. It was right around the time I quit - I remember my friends who were still playing talking about it. They added actual maps for all the newbie zones in May 2003: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2003-1.html

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dizz posted:

When did EQ actually get maps? I get loving lost everywhere

Note that they're terrible. It's the worst possible map system anyone has ever seen. You're much better off learning the zone.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Note that they're terrible. It's the worst possible map system anyone has ever seen. You're much better off learning the zone.

Map fiend maps for live EQ are really good now, with legends and waypoint markings.

Also, logged in for the first time in god knows how long, spent an hour at disco and 2 at KC the next day, forgot how effing slow XP is. I miss AoE groups in SF and getting half a level every 30 minutes. I should buy my way into a group by whoring myself out.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hasn't it been the stance of P1999 since the beginning that it would stop at Velious? Luclin is really far from any definition of Classic.

Also, maps that we know today in Live EQ came with LoY. They're still to this day a wireframe nightmare to look at.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Hasn't it been the stance of P1999 since the beginning that it would stop at Velious? Luclin is really far from any definition of Classic.

Yes it is, but we're just shooting the poo poo that spawned off of me saying this:

xZAOx posted:

I mean, it's so far out there that it's not like they really know what (if anything) they'll do, but there have been comments before about stopping blue99 at Velious, but copying to another server, and going forward with custom content.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Nilbog said very early on that what he wanted to do was go to Velious with a work-in-progress server and once he had all the patches and content ironed out to start over and do it again in a much-closer-to-Classic timeframe and with far fewer bugs. Since then, lots of other people associated with the server from Rogean to various GMs have said that they are considering everything from a reboot to cherrypicking SoL/PoP content to custom content. I don't really take any of that very seriously because ultimately this server will go where Nilbog takes it, and while he certainly could have changed his mind in the last 2-3 years, I haven't heard any reliable statement that he has.

One thing I do know for sure is that pretty much everyone involved with developing/administrating the server hates the AA system, so don't get your hopes up regarding that.

EDIT:
Also, I managed to snag the UG leader tag back from Syn this weekend so I will be handing out officer tags as I see people online. Once officer'd, remember that /guildmotd will set the guild message of the day to whatever follows it, while /getguildmotd (or just /getg) will allow you to check it. Anyone who leaves the gmotd blank will be shamed eternally because we will know you were just trying to check it and forgot the command.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 16, 2013

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

No escape AA?!? What a crock of poo poo. Gimmie that and SoS so I can run everywhere with impunity.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Wait, they're fixing necros in the next patch finally? I know one recently deleveled-to-4 necro that might get annoyed by that.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like to think that Shinko's rage-delevel was the prime reason they decided to patch the various issues. Not because he made the issue more pertinent, but because teasing Shinko is funny.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

I like to think that Shinko's rage-delevel was the prime reason they decided to patch the various issues. Not because he made the issue more pertinent, but because teasing Shinko is funny.

Wait, what happened?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

It was going to be "gently caress TM-BLOW"
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119479

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I dunno whether to laugh or be extremely sad for Shinko. that sort of mental breakdown...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Wait, what happened?

Honestly, people made more of a deal of it than he did.

He was bored of his necro, hadn't logged him in for months. Only played his alt (warrior I think?). So he decided "gently caress it" and did that.

Remember, Shinko kinda lives/breathes the game. The time to delevel that much is "meh" to him. And if he wants his title to mean something again (although having it with a level 4 is pretty funny), it'd take what, all of a week to get back to 60 for him?

It's funny though, he definitely had some guildmates that got pissed (not that Shinko hasn't put in the time and earned his gear, he's allowed to piss it away if he wants).

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

Honestly, people made more of a deal of it than he did.

He was bored of his necro, hadn't logged him in for months. Only played his alt (warrior I think?). So he decided "gently caress it" and did that.

Remember, Shinko kinda lives/breathes the game. The time to delevel that much is "meh" to him. And if he wants his title to mean something again (although having it with a level 4 is pretty funny), it'd take what, all of a week to get back to 60 for him?

It's funny though, he definitely had some guildmates that got pissed (not that Shinko hasn't put in the time and earned his gear, he's allowed to piss it away if he wants).

He's actually not playing nearly as much anymore. He got a new job/ girlfriend so he's barely around at the moment. Also, yeah, if he's on, he's on his warrior.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
3 hours in seb last night, 11% of 55. it's gonna be a long road to 60. lol

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

iNteg posted:

3 hours in seb last night, 11% of 55. it's gonna be a long road to 60. lol

Go to Howling Stones, west wing. Unless you're doing Disco I found the exp to pale in comparison.

Karnor's Castle blows. Efreeti in SolB is pretty laid back, though.

Roat Cack
Nov 15, 2006
Drink up and come back
Illtair invited me to the guild a few days ago:

Mase - 23 Monk
Roat - 10 Shaman

Hit me up in-game if anyone is interested in grouping, or if anyone is looking to unload some gear.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Go to Howling Stones, west wing. Unless you're doing Disco I found the exp to pale in comparison.

At this point I take what I can get. I'll goto sky and steal xp tonight too if I can.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Howling Stones is hands down the best exp outside of AoE. I did the majority of 55+ their on my monk duoing with a shaman.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've had some computer and internet issues over the last week. I will hopefully have everything resolved and be on a bit more by early next week.

iNteg posted:

At this point I take what I can get. I'll goto sky and steal xp tonight too if I can.
...and the forecast for Hell tonight has temperatures in the low 20s.

HS is great due to the combination of XP, loot, and having enough stuff to kill to keep a group busy, but Efreeti is just as fast as anywhere in HS if you're doing small group/duo stuff. The ZEMs are comparable, but mobs have less hp/level and don't do as much damage (assuming you're getting LGs dispelled or pulled before they DS). Efreeti can be a bit of a pain for some group setups, but not for monk/sham or rog/sham - just have to get the pet and monk or rog on the same side and push the poo poo out him. He will never get a cast off.

While getting Bugen to 60 I did a lot of duoing with a Shaman and we ended up preferring Efreeti to HS, though both were awesome XP. Efreeti, when it's open, is just more convenient and GEBs and Djarn's Rings made it superior lootwise to any camp in HS that was typically available to duo at the time (note this was much closer to Kunark release when HS used to be much more heavily camped for items). Just be sure to bring an alt to scrape rings if you both have them already.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I have finally broken the level 55 barrier, and am now 11% into 56. Sheesh what a pita.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

iNteg posted:

I have finally broken the level 55 barrier, and am now 11% into 56. Sheesh what a pita.

Playing through 59 on a hybrid was one of the most fun things ever.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Funkutron5000 posted:

Playing through 59 on a hybrid was one of the most fun things ever.

I'm glad I'm a rogue for that reason, I couldn't imagine doing it as a Troll SK. I'm slowly making progress though.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Well, I tried 'real' EQ on the official servers, but it just isn't the same anymore. So I roped a buddy of mine into playing this with me. We're duo'ing an enchanter (me) and a cleric (him). So far we're almost level 4! :v: We're "Fanti" and "Usedbandaide" respectively if anyone's online and wants to bestow some goonerosity on us. Or kill wolves in the east commonlands or something.

vvv Beyond right now this second, who knows? Probably once a week, sundays or tuesdays. Whatever day it is, it'll be all day. we found like four high quality bear skins, so we're rolling in newbie plat now!

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 25, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'll try to look you up in the next few days, what time are you guys usually on?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

I'll try to look you up in the next few days, what time are you guys usually on?

I was up really late last night, got em set with ~400ish plat a piece.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Might have to restart to starting over...haven't gotten a response in about ~1 week of having a post sit in the petition board inquiring about account recovery.

Somewhat kills the desire to come back, knowing that I wouldn't have to do the 50-60 grind but 1-60. =/

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Rocketpriest posted:

Well, I tried 'real' EQ on the official servers, but it just isn't the same anymore. So I roped a buddy of mine into playing this with me. We're duo'ing an enchanter (me) and a cleric (him). So far we're almost level 4! :v: We're "Fanti" and "Usedbandaide" respectively if anyone's online and wants to bestow some goonerosity on us. Or kill wolves in the east commonlands or something.

vvv Beyond right now this second, who knows? Probably once a week, sundays or tuesdays. Whatever day it is, it'll be all day. we found like four high quality bear skins, so we're rolling in newbie plat now!

I may have some starter stuff for ya'll to use. Send me a tell on Corova/ Corovad if you see me on and I should be able to hook ya up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gepgepgep posted:

account recovery.

Yup. There is only one guy that can help you, Rogean, and he is entirely unavailable. I've got a 54 shaman with a JBB, regen bp and decent gear otherwise just rotting in sebilis. A few years ago I changed the password to something new I had never used before, then proceeded to not log in for a month. poo poo out of luck.

Now I'm thinking about starting up again, but I refuse to take it seriously at all. I might even play a druid (a miscellaneous, barely-useful class) and refuse to spend time farming for gear as a reminder that its supposed to be silly fun.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 25, 2013

• Locked thread