Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nexxai posted:

Sounds like your MX record got changed by accident?

That's what I assumed, but everything was normal. It just bounced all email to all of my domains for like 20 minutes, then returned to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Belial42 posted:

:siren::siren:An email came in: my four man department is getting weekend and after hour call rotations setup with a primary and a backup! Two of the people aren't even on helpdesk, they're admins. No mention of compensation. None of us have offered up our weekends.

This new company's tanking morale at an astounding rate. 3/5 of the original team will be gone in less than six months, taking a combined 30 years worth of institutional knowledge with them. I can't :ytoj: fast enough.

If you're going to leave anyhow, do everything you can to either refuse or be compensated for this.

"I'd be glad to discuss the possibility of setting up an after-hours rotation, let's make the meeting a bit longer so that we have time to discuss the changes in compensation that the affected employees will receive as a result."

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's what I assumed, but everything was normal. It just bounced all email to all of my domains for like 20 minutes, then returned to normal.
Then what probably happened is that they either redirected a 1-to-1 NAT policy to the wrong box, or assigned the IP to the wrong mail server temporarily. Either way, glad to hear it's working again.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nexxai posted:

Then what probably happened is that they either redirected a 1-to-1 NAT policy to the wrong box, or assigned the IP to the wrong mail server temporarily. Either way, glad to hear it's working again.

It was the worst possible time for it to happen, too, since I'm expecting a new job to email me sometime this morning.

OpenText Release Notes posted:

Notable updates in eDOCS DM 5.3.1 Patch 4 Rollup 1 include:
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), DMJumpListHelper.dll no longer causes winword.exe process to climb in memory until it crashes or Disk is Full error message appears.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extension for Microsoft Outlook, when you use Outlook Extensions to open documents from other applications, such as Microsoft Word or Excel, it no longer causes Outlook to stop responding if you close documents.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extension for Microsoft Outlook, when you right-click on a document in DM and select Open, it no longer causes Outlook to stop responding.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extension for Windows Explorer, a dialog box to 'Confirm Search' can appear behind the Explorer Extensions Window. Users can now see this and will no longer assume DM has crashed because they could not see the dialog box.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extensions, when you cancel a search, DM no longer moves behind other windows.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extensions, if you expand the public folders containing a large number of public folders for the first time in DM Extensions, the process now takes less time.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extensions, if you cancel a full text search from the File/Open dialog box, Microsoft Office applications no longer stop responding.
In Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), using DM Extensions, when you attempt to perform a Profile Search, the Profile Form no longer opens behind DM Extensions.

"hey everyone it's a new patch version let's just make everything completely unusable and then fix it in a few months"

I would have had a riot on my hands if I had upgraded to the previous version.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"I'd be glad to discuss the possibility of setting up an after-hours rotation, let's make the meeting a bit longer so that we have time to discuss the changes in compensation that the affected employees will receive as a result."
Hahaha, like we're having a meeting about it. The email went out today and wants people for this weekend. No one has volunteered for weekend shifts, and my first, non-compensation questions have been unanswered.

None of us are going to work without pay.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Belial42 posted:

Hahaha, like we're having a meeting about it. The email went out today and wants people for this weekend. No one has volunteered for weekend shifts, and my first, non-compensation questions have been unanswered.

None of us are going to work without pay.

Then you should say "Sure, lets have a meeting to discuss the terms of compensation for our outside of normal contract duties".

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
A flu shot came in...

All of the programmers got them, yet only one of the operations people did (me!).

It's like my team wants to get the flu and get sick so they have a reason to not be here...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Now this is how you do tchotchkes right, for your IT customers.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I am going to I need to know where to buy those

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah I am going to I need to know where to buy those

A google search of bottle opener thumb drives came up with a lot more hits than I thought it would have. I don't drink much so I forget how much IT folks love their booze.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

coyo7e posted:

That's fantastic. It looks like it's made from plastic from here, though, be nice if it had a metal body if that's the case.

vvv Aluminium it is! http://www.flashbay.com/products/pop-flash-drive

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 20, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

HalloKitty posted:

That's fantastic. It'd be nice if it was metal, though.

I first thought it was aluminium. Kinda seems crappy with it being plastic, the corner is going to be hosed up quickly.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

skipdogg posted:

A google search of bottle opener thumb drives came up with a lot more hits than I thought it would have. I don't drink much so I forget how much IT folks love their booze.

If you drink scotch, you dont need to worry about a bottle opener.

Content:

So we've had two different sites this week have internet issues. The first one went over their bandwidth cap and started dropping packets. The second site ive been fighting with the ISP NOC and the government NOC both saying its a problem with our network. Today I managed to get a tech on the phone with the ISP who was willing to actually troubleshoot and not just do a standard 4 ping test and call it ok. After an hour on the phone I got him to check the policer for the site and low and behold, the site is being heavily QoS'd. Now I have a ticket in with the government NOC to confirm that yes, they are over bandwidth on this site too and upgrade it.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 20, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

blackswordca posted:

If you drink scotch, you dont need to worry about a bottle opener.

This.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

HalloKitty posted:

That's fantastic. It looks like it's made from plastic from here, though, be nice if it had a metal body if that's the case.

vvv Aluminium it is! http://www.flashbay.com/products/pop-flash-drive

I've requested a quote for goon USB bottle openers. Who wants to throw down and have a wild drunk IT goon secret Santa party this year?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I've requested a quote for goon USB bottle openers. Who wants to throw down and have a wild drunk IT goon secret Santa party this year?

I hope you use a better shipping service this time :v:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
An email came in...

"No you can't leave early on your birthday. Also we need you to cover the after hours phone for that week. And the week after."

Whelp.

On the plus side, overtime, I guess.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Five phone calls have come in today from the same employee:

"The internet is too slow! It's just crawling! No, it's only for [particular 3rd party server they remote into]. No, everything else is fine. But the INTERNET is sloooooow."

I've explained that I have no input or control over whatever they're trying to do. She's the only one with the permission and credentials to contact them and I've told her five times to call them and report that the connection is slow. But still, every 45 minutes: "Engineering call 126 ASAP!"

She just called me again while I was writing this. I'm just going to ignore her.

Bonus: earlier I was accosted because I told our accountant that, no, there isn't a way to automatically make it to where your iPhone doesn't check for emails while you're in the building. Yes, I know your android used to do that.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo pissing me off: Acronyms and when I forget what they mean.

Hello TLA and ETLA organizations*:

When you have a web site talking about who the gently caress you are, for the love of Christ, put what your acronym means on the landing page of your site.

Google "ITIL":

The first hit is the ITIL® Home whose brief description helpfully mentions IT Service Management (ITSM) but has no mention of ITIL.

Site number two mentions ITIL in the descriptor but doesn't say what it is.

Site number three: Only wikipedia gives the actual definition of ITIL. Thanks guys!

Comedy: Site number four is ITIL.org that gives ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) in its descriptor with the helpful: This site may be hacked

* TLA - Three letter acronym
* ETLA - extended three letter acronym

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Vin BioEthanol posted:

We only have one pilot user of it at my site, iphone. I only played around with it for a few minutes, thought it was neat you can access intranet pages. What's wrong with the Android version?

At least with the deployment we have at my job, it fucks up streaming video. Files you can stream on a phone without Good just won't play with good installed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Did you really request a quote? Because I want one of these, so bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I might be interested depending on the size/price.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector_71 posted:

I might be interested depending on the size/price.

Same - good stocking stuffers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I definitely want one, preferably [at least] 32GB, but let us know what happens with the quote!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 20, 2013

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

HalloKitty posted:

I definitely want one, preferably 32GB, but let us know what happens with the quote!

Also down.

Though whoever said you don't need a bottle opener because you should be drinking Scotch is absolutely correct.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Prices are per unit at various bulk points:

We can get the SA grenade etched or printed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm in. :guinness:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Potato Alley posted:

Though whoever said you don't need a bottle opener because you should be drinking Scotch is absolutely correct.

But then how are you going to open your beer to use as a chaser for the scotch?

Dont judge me, I normally drink lagavulin with a rainier back. Also, I am in for one as well.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Whoa, only need 25 minimum? Awesome.

What about something with the grenade to denote the IT postin' crew?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
Put me down.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

im in as well

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm game.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I'd definitely take one.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Fun thing for the week:
Office 365 is currently having an issue where some users are unable to send mail. Total affected users of mine: 2
Their positions in the company we support: CEO and COO.
Gonna be a fun day.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
I'd buy one.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nearing end of my first week at the new job.
Already I know who is a jerk and will push their responsibilities off on you then refuse to answer when you're in the thick of it and no idea what to do. But hey, now I know a lot more about fog.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The office is empty. It's so quiet! Wish I could take a nap.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'd totally buy 2

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I don't post much in here, but I would be down for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Totally would buy one

Edit: Is it a bad thing that we have more technicians than tickets, given the same amount of clients?

• Locked thread