Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Kaiserreich team has to make all of their events by hand, so it's not surprising that you get none for a nation that you cheat into a position it couldn't otherwise be in.

Kaiserreich is a good deal friendlier towards small nations than standard HOI2 or Darkest Hour but even so don't play as a cheaty Ireland because as you've found out you won't be able to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

It was Shams, Johan and one Ms. Linda Kiby who I did not recognise- SolSara? I don't know. She didn't get to speak much, both Shams and Johan liked to talk a lot. Plus some camera guy who spoke occasionally but was never explicitly named.

Camera guy is me, I put these streams together. Thanks for the stream notes, they're highly amusing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DStecks posted:

The problem with the the Sengoku Jidai is that it only goes so far as a setting. It's really great for a Total War game, since it presents a lot of cool fighting and a bunch of fairly balanced factions, any of whom could have historically come out on top; but if you go for a Paradox angle, where you don't fight the battles and war isn't such a focus, well, it's really just Japan vs. Different Japan. It loses its novelty fast. So the Nobunaga came out on top this time, whoop-de-poo poo. Not quite as interesting as Burgundy Florida, Ottoman Quebec, and Papal States Brazil, is it?

I think that's unfair to the period. Yes, it's limited in scope but that doesn't mean it couldn't be interesting. You've got the various Daimios competing for power as a baseline, but on top of that you've got the Christian lords in the south, the Europeans with their enclaves, and the peasant-monk Ikko-Ikki, any of which might come out on top. Sure, you can boil that down to Japan vs Different Japan, but I think that's rather harsh. The problem is more that games have never made the dynamics between the factions interesting, not that the dynamics cannot be interesting.

To take a local European example, try out the Winter King mod for CK2. The map is reduced to Great Britain and a slice of France, and covers the Arthurian Britain period of the Saxon invasions with various groups all vying for conquest of the area. I see it as similar in many ways to what Sengoku could have been, most chiefly in the fact that it is a lot of fun.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
There are already a ton of events in kaiserreich. The events may burn off in the first four or five years of the game but there's still a lot, and most if not all with custom event pictures. Making alternate alternate events to accommodate people cheating their sliders for every little country would probably have taken ten times the work and time for something 99.9% of people playing it aren't going to see. But sorry to disappoint.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

BOOM!

It was Shams, Johan and one Ms. Linda Kiby who I did not recognise- SolSara? I don't know. She didn't get to speak much, both Shams and Johan liked to talk a lot. Plus some camera guy who spoke occasionally but was never explicitly named.

Linda is Kallocain on the pdx forums.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Trujillo posted:

There are already a ton of events in kaiserreich. The events may burn off in the first four or five years of the game but there's still a lot, and most if not all with custom event pictures. Making alternate alternate events to accommodate people cheating their sliders for every little country would probably have taken ten times the work and time for something 99.9% of people playing it aren't going to see. But sorry to disappoint.

Yeah. Well then, what is a good small country? I had a lot of fun with a Netherlands game, it had few events but plenty of IC so I could do things, but almost every other country I choose has no events, or only seems to get events when I'm not playing them. I do love playing the game though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

catlord posted:

Yeah. Well then, what is a good small country? I had a lot of fun with a Netherlands game, it had few events but plenty of IC so I could do things, but almost every other country I choose has no events, or only seems to get events when I'm not playing them. I do love playing the game though.

The Netherlands has some internal events but only gets to really do something if Britain decides to invade when at war with Germany. Norway and Sweden have some interesting event chains and can go syndicalist if the opportunity arises.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I want to get into the Paradox games. Do you recommend Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis IV?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

catlord posted:

For Kaiserreich? Mongolia is pretty ridiculous (become Genghis Khan II!). Brazil has a ton of events but not sure they count as "small".

Generally though for KR your best choices are:

Russia (totally broken, you can take over the world with almost zero effort if you survive the first year or so)
Germany (not the powerhouse of actual history but still pretty potent)
Austria (good chance at a civil war between Austria and Hungary, if you win you are a reasonable competitor with Germany)
France (basically the Nazi Germany of this timeline from an event-driven standpoint, but manpower limits will cripple you)
Union of Britain (not the alliance leader but in a good position to cause a lot of carnage)
USA (fight in a three-way civil war)
Brazil (lots of different ways to develop, either syndicalist or capitalist)
Qing Empire (reunite China)
Japan (take over China, Siberia, or both)

All of these have a great deal of events and the most development. Canada has many events but isn't really that fun to play since their primary goal (invading England and reestablishing the United Kingdom) is almost impossible and if the Syndicalists win the American civil war you are utterly screwed.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 20, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Italian Federation, Egypt, the Kingdom of Spain, and Bhartiya Commune are all pretty good too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kikka posted:

I want to get into the Paradox games. Do you recommend Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis IV?

CKII is more of an RPG strategy where you deal with your family members and politics, and EUIV is a more 'traditional' conquer the world empire builder.

They both have demos, so try them both out. That'll probably tell you more then any recommendation. They're both great, but have different styles, so without knowing your own preferences it's hard to tell which you'll prefer.

I think EUIV might be a bit easier to get into because it's a bit more traditional, whereas in CKII you're playing as a family patriarch/matriarch instead of a state/country, so some elements might be a bit unintuitive at first.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kikka posted:

CK2 if you're more of a role-player, EUIV if you're more of a traditional strategy gamer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lum_ posted:

USA (fight in a three-way civil war)

I find mine are usually four-way if not five-way.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Kikka posted:

Do you want to play as a nation or do you want to play as a dynasty? That, and the mechanics that surround both concepts, are the main differences between the two games. You know, things like technological advancement and national identity versus dynastic power and personal identity.

With that said, Crusader Kings 2 is more established and has a ton of good mods and DLC. Europa Universalis IV is still in a somewhat rough state and is getting its first major patch soon. But CK2, being the older game, is often featured in sales.

And if you care about time periods, CK2 spans the 11th century to 15th century (9th to 15th with The Old Gods), while EU4 spans the 15th century to early 19th century.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Time to put Plan Kim Stanley Robinson into action :getin:

From last page, but I think I remember one of the Pdox peoples being pretty into the Mars Trilogy (as they and everyone else should :colbert:) and good god, if there were a company who could have a decent shot at making a Mars Trilogy-style political space colonization game, it's paradox.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Reveilled posted:

I think that's unfair to the period. Yes, it's limited in scope but that doesn't mean it couldn't be interesting. You've got the various Daimios competing for power as a baseline, but on top of that you've got the Christian lords in the south, the Europeans with their enclaves, and the peasant-monk Ikko-Ikki, any of which might come out on top. Sure, you can boil that down to Japan vs Different Japan, but I think that's rather harsh. The problem is more that games have never made the dynamics between the factions interesting, not that the dynamics cannot be interesting.

Honestly, it seems like it's just a matter of widening the scope, isn't it? Around the same time as the Sengoku Jidai you have the Ming Dynasty in China and all its political machinations, the liberation of Annam and the rise of the Dai Viet, the Early Joseon Period and all the craziness over there (along with them actually being invaded by Japan), the establishment of the Mataram Sultanate in Indonesia and the spread of Islam, not to mention at the tail end of the period you have the obvious Christian colonizers, along with the rise of the Manchu...

Basically, how interesting would Crusader Kings be if the map only covered England and Northern France from 1066 to 1217?

Edit: Like obviously this overlaps with EU4 but if you narrowed down the focus you would be able to get some interesting regional elements into the mix.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 20, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly, it seems like it's just a matter of widening the scope, isn't it? Around the same time as the Sengoku Jidai you have the Ming Dynasty in China and all its political machinations, the liberation of Annam and the rise of the Dai Viet, the Early Joseon Period and all the craziness over there (along with them actually being invaded by Japan), the establishment of the Mataram Sultanate in Indonesia and the spread of Islam, not to mention at the tail end of the period you have the obvious Christian colonizers, along with the rise of the Manchu...

Basically, how interesting would Crusader Kings be if the map only covered England and Northern France from 1066 to 1217?

Edit: Like obviously this overlaps with EU4 but if you narrowed down the focus you would be able to get some interesting regional elements into the mix.

No, that's not my point. I don't disagree with you that if you had a game that covered those areas that could make the game more interesting, but what I'm saying is that you can make a game that covers only Japan and you can make it interesting, because there was enough going on there to fill a game. The problem was with Sengoku the game, not Sengoku the period.

So okay, how interesting would Crusader Kings be if the map only covered England and Northern France from 1066 to 1217? Not very, I agree.
How interesting would Crusader Kings be if the map only covered England and Northern France from 479 to 867? Pretty drat interesting, and the mod that covers that period is a lot of fun, if very different in scope from a regular game of CK2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Played a bit as Spain. Is the revolution scripted to always happen? You'd think that if you had open elections they could at least hold off until after them to start trashing the place. And then the elections get cancelled because of the war and everybody gets upset, the ungrateful bastards. Also I still don't quite get combat. It seems to take forever to get anywhere, and halfway through another army will show up and even though they're significantly smaller they'll wreck my exhausted army and start the whole thing over. I assume armies move faster in owned territory?

How is Ukraine? It looks like they might have some interesting events to work with.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

PittTheElder posted:

It's interesting as poo poo, but you can't effectively model any of that in the existing Clausewitz engine.
I fully agree with this. Paradox is having a hard enough time handling most of the world in EU4 as it is. They've never figured out migrations and every colonization system thus far is not much more than a half-measure.

DStecks posted:

The problem with the the Sengoku Jidai is that it only goes so far as a setting. It's really great for a Total War game, since it presents a lot of cool fighting and a bunch of fairly balanced factions, any of whom could have historically come out on top; but if you go for a Paradox angle, where you don't fight the battles and war isn't such a focus, well, it's really just Japan vs. Different Japan. It loses its novelty fast. So the Nobunaga came out on top this time, whoop-de-poo poo. Not quite as interesting as Burgundy Florida, Ottoman Quebec, and Papal States Brazil, is it?
I agree that Sengoku dropped the ball on "other poo poo to do besides get into scraps with neighbors". That's the constant threat of every Paradox game, and EU4 is still partly guilty of this. (I do expect that to change as DLC comes out of the pipes, though.) Politics and economics and social dynamics are so complex and nuanced that there's basically an infinitely deep reserve to call upon if a game is kind of dragging. The problem with EU: Rome, for instance, is that it didn't go far enough and model this properly -- a doomed effort since this would require a different system for practically every nation. Crusader Kings 2 pretty much hit the nail on the head -- there's plenty of anachronism, sure, but their model went deep enough to make the game really exciting and interesting, so the Rule of Cool overrides all that.

nutranurse posted:

From last page, but I think I remember one of the Pdox peoples being pretty into the Mars Trilogy (as they and everyone else should :colbert:) and good god, if there were a company who could have a decent shot at making a Mars Trilogy-style political space colonization game, it's paradox.
There was a space Paradox-like that involved colonization of planets on behalf of nation-states in a world where the USSR never collapsed. I forget the name, but eventually they ran out of cash and the project had to be cancelled. I've never seen another game even try to approach it from that angle. Space games are usually stuck in the Star Trek reductionist mode of "here's a planet, it's all one climate and one culture and belongs to one people and everyone is equally prosperous and happy." I don't think I've ever seen a space game that modeled a planet's attitudes towards its government by anything more than a single Happiness score. I don't give a poo poo about set piece space battles or blueprinting my own custom ships, I just want to zoom around and build complex societies on hostile worlds and terraform them. If I have to fight a space war, I want it to be a mostly conventional ground battle between India and Mozambique over control of Elysium Planitia. No game caters to that.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 20, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There was a space Paradox-like that involved colonization of planets on behalf of nation-states in a world where the USSR never collapsed. I forget the name, but eventually they ran out of cash and the project had to be cancelled. I've never seen another game even try to approach it from that angle. Space games are usually stuck in the Star Trek reductionist mode of "here's a planet, it's all one climate and one culture and belongs to one people and everyone is equally prosperous and happy." I don't think I've ever seen a space game that modeled a planet's attitudes towards its government by anything more than a single Happiness score. I don't give a poo poo about set piece space battles or blueprinting my own custom ships, I just want to zoom around and build complex societies on hostile worlds and terraform them. If I have to fight a space war, I want it to be a mostly conventional ground battle between India and Mozambique over control of Elysium Planitia. No game caters to that.

:getin:

e: for reference, I under no circumstances recommend you actually play Aurora.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Hey Paradox people, could I ask that one of you takes a look at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?714836-Reading-additional-data-into-existing-files please? It's such a nice feature but nobody has any idea how to make use of it :(

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lum_ posted:

...and if the Syndicalists win the American civil war you are utterly screwed.

Does that ever happen, though? They're the weakest participant in a four-way free for all. In my games, at least, everybody gets flattened by the AUS steamroller.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I agree that Sengoku dropped the ball on "other poo poo to do besides get into scraps with neighbors". That's the constant threat of every Paradox game, and EU4 is still partly guilty of this. (I do expect that to change as DLC comes out of the pipes, though.) Politics and economics and social dynamics are so complex and nuanced that there's basically an infinitely deep reserve to call upon if a game is kind of dragging. The problem with EU: Rome, for instance, is that it didn't go far enough and model this properly -- a doomed effort since this would require a different system for practically every nation. Crusader Kings 2 pretty much hit the nail on the head -- there's plenty of anachronism, sure, but their model went deep enough to make the game really exciting and interesting, so the Rule of Cool overrides all that.

Factions, states-inside-the-state and all other sorts of internal complexity for states was the one thing I really wanted to see in EUIV. And it just... isn't there, at all. The game doesn't even try to approach it. Made me sad. :cry:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It doesn't really do internal politics, as in, at all, but Emperor of the Fading Suns definitely doesn't reduce its planets to zero-dimensional, mono-climatic and mono-cultural points. It's got full-scale surface maps and everything;

Planetary invasions are a bitch. :unsmigghh:

(No, I will not shut up about this game. I don't care how broken it was, the concepts were amazing and someone needs to pick them up and run with them. :colbert:)

EDIT:

PleasingFungus posted:

e: for reference, I under no circumstances recommend you actually play Aurora.

It is like Dwarf Fortress in space with less game and more interface.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It doesn't really do internal politics, as in, at all, but Emperor of the Fading Suns definitely doesn't reduce its planets to zero-dimensional, mono-climatic and mono-cultural points. It's got full-scale surface maps and everything;

(No, I will not shut up about this game. I don't care how broken it was, the concepts were amazing and someone needs to pick them up and run with them. :colbert:)

EDIT

It's a great tRPG setting too. Too bad the new version is turning into a shitshow.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

catlord posted:

Played a bit as Spain. Is the revolution scripted to always happen? You'd think that if you had open elections they could at least hold off until after them to start trashing the place. And then the elections get cancelled because of the war and everybody gets upset, the ungrateful bastards. Also I still don't quite get combat. It seems to take forever to get anywhere, and halfway through another army will show up and even though they're significantly smaller they'll wreck my exhausted army and start the whole thing over. I assume armies move faster in owned territory?

How is Ukraine? It looks like they might have some interesting events to work with.

To avoid the Spanish Civil War:
1. Praise Xavier and don't piss him off.
2. Don't do anything to the FAI.
The event chains that set off the war won't fire this way. Then you can get to the elections and pick whichever country you want to play as (The Kingdom of Spain's events might not be firing right, though, but I don't think they really do anything post-war anyway)

There are some serious bugs with combat right now. Go into the misc.txt file and go down to MISSION_ATTACK and MISSION_SUPPORT_ATTACK and make sure their efficiency is 1.0 (100%). That should fix some of the problems, though we're still working on it- I think the speed values for infantry and such need to be upped to Darkest Hour full levels.

The Ukraine's fun- you can put Nikita Khrushchev in power and join the International, though that option depends on a German event.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kavak posted:

To avoid the Spanish Civil War:
1. Praise Xavier and don't piss him off.
2. Don't do anything to the FAI.
The event chains that set off the war won't fire this way. Then you can get to the elections and pick whichever country you want to play as (The Kingdom of Spain's events might not be firing right, though, but I don't think they really do anything post-war anyway)

Huh, I chose to let the FAI do whatever for those boosts, I must have pissed Xavier off.

Kavak posted:

There are some serious bugs with combat right now. Go into the misc.txt file and go down to MISSION_ATTACK and MISSION_SUPPORT_ATTACK and make sure their efficiency is 1.0 (100%). That should fix some of the problems, though we're still working on it- I think the speed values for infantry and such need to be upped to Darkest Hour full levels.

Ah, thanks, I'll try that out.

Kavak posted:

The Ukraine's fun- you can put Nikita Khrushchev in power and join the International, though that option depends on a German event.

That does sound pretty awesome, I think I'll try them out at some point too. I take it you're one of the developers?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

catlord posted:

That does sound pretty awesome, I think I'll try them out at some point too. I take it you're one of the developers?

I wouldn't rank myself that highly, just a forum member and minor event maker right now.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Emperor of the Fading Suns

That game was pretty good, I also remember seeing an LP of it on SA at some point (probably empty now because of Waffleimages disappearance). The Universe is very cool as well, space opera + medieval byzantine setting with all kind of cool stuff thrown around.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Does that ever happen, though? They're the weakest participant in a four-way free for all. In my games, at least, everybody gets flattened by the AUS steamroller.

Factions, states-inside-the-state and all other sorts of internal complexity for states was the one thing I really wanted to see in EUIV. And it just... isn't there, at all. The game doesn't even try to approach it. Made me sad. :cry:

EDIT:

It is like Dwarf Fortress in space with less game and more interface.

Its such a wonderful game; and it just needs to be set in the Dune universe and keep everything else the same.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Isn't there a 4X game in the works that have full planetary maps? I remember reading something about that, but I'm not sure if it was a Greenlight or Kickstarter title or what.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

catlord posted:

Both of the Italian countries are a lot of fun although Northern Italiy is a lot easier. Britain could also probably be considered a medium power since you're just the main island with no dominions. It's a lot of fun to try to rebuild the empire for the people and take out the royalists in Canada.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kikka posted:

Personally, I would recommend CKII. It's a much more "holistic" game, in that the gameplay elements flow pretty naturally from each other and are all closely intertwined, whereas the EU series has always felt to me like a bunch of loosely-connected gameplay mechanics frankensteined into a game.

To get more in-depth, a lot of CKII is counter-intuitive if you're approaching it with the experience of other strategy games, the two biggest ones being that A) you are not your country, you are a person; and B) you do not maintain a standing army. However, once you get over this, CKII is actually pretty drat intuitive. Once you understand succession, plots, and the de jure territory system, that's roughly 70% of the game right there. Military ultimately boils down to having more dudes than your enemy.

(All that having been said, I still have no clue how trade works in either CKII or EU4, or how one carries over to the other.)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't there a 4X game in the works that have full planetary maps? I remember reading something about that, but I'm not sure if it was a Greenlight or Kickstarter title or what.

Predestination, it's a Kickstarter.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kikka posted:

Ck2. It has been out longer, has more polish, and there are a lot more LPs to read on how to play.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kikka posted:

Well, I'd say that as is CK2 is the better game. It's got loads of expansions, most of which are actually quite fun to play with(not counting cosmetics), but if you don't want to shell out for all that right away the base game is fine and really fun by itself. The main problem with it is that in terms of getting into Paradox games, the way CK2 works is way, way different from the way any of the others work. So learning how to play CK2 won't really help you get into, say, EU4.

The biggest and most obvious difference is that in CK2 you aren't a country, you're a guy. Meaning that you could be the Emperor of the entire world but if your daughter marries the wrong person and your son takes a sword to the head, someone from a different dynasty inherits and you lose. And you have an army but actually winning wars requires you to convince all your dirtbag vassals to let you use their armies and if they don't like you they'll send like 6 dudes with pointy sticks. CK2 is really more of a political strategy game where mostly you're a guy scheming and occasionally your schemes lead you to gather an army and kill some dudes, whereas the others are a more traditional game of building up big armies and slamming them into each other in order to colour in the map with your favourite colour.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DStecks posted:

(All that having been said, I still have no clue how trade works in either CKII or EU4, or how one carries over to the other.)

CK2 trade: be a Doge. (Duke+ Republican coastal title.) Click on provinces, switch to the trade post tab, build trade posts. Get combo bonuses for controlling more of a 'trade zone' than anyone else (there's a mapmode) and building more trade posts in zones you control. Get hilariously rich. Watch out for people declaring war on you to burn all your poo poo down.

EU4 trade: Play until you're at least a medium-sized nation. Build a couple of light ship fleets. Switch to the trade view mode and figure out which nodes are upstream of yours. Use merchants to direct trade & trade fleets to force trade to actually move (& to give you dominance over your home node, if needed); you want to move as much trade as possible from upstream nodes to your home node, where you can most easily & profitably collect it.

If you're really big and strong and are focusing on merchant trade, set up hilariously long trade node relays (e.g. from the east indies to europe the long way around Africa) to get preposterously rich; trade increases in value every time that someone's merchant forwards it from one node to the next, and that compounds to result in $$huge dosh$$ if your route is long enough. (This is getting nerfed in the upcoming patch.)

You can also putz around with manufactories and production/trade buildings to increase the trade value of provinces producing valuable goods, if you really want. (Trying to use trade buildings to get trade power is a waste of time.)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 22, 2013

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

PleasingFungus posted:

(Trying to use trade buildings to get trade power is a waste of time.)

It is? Why?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's not. You can often get a pretty appreciable amount of trade power from building lots of them and it allows you to use less ships to protect trade in a given node.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Building lots of them is a huge waste of diplo points. Building them on high trade value provinces or those with trade power bonuses is a good idea though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'd also say that even though EU4 is still pretty polished and easy to pick up compared with other, earlier Paradox titles (My first Paradox game was Vanilla Victoria 1... it didn't go too well), CK2 probably still has a much gentler learning curve, and if you do screw up catastrophically it tends to be as fun and rich in narrative as when you succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Building lots of them is a huge waste of diplo points. Building them on high trade value provinces or those with trade power bonuses is a good idea though.

You get the most out of them in coastal provinces, where the coastal bonus gets applied to them. But even still, the marketplace doubles the amount of trade power inland provinces project. As a nation that isn't getting many diplo ideas I'll build them everywhere just so I can get a bigger piece of the trade pie. As a trade focused nations, you ironically have to be a bit more selective in where you build them since most of your diplo points are going into ideas.

• Locked thread