Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sports
Sep 1, 2012
Any thoughts on Debian GNU/kfreebsd? I'm interested in installing the 32 bit version on an old desktop just to see how well it fares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'd consider it very experimental, but worth checking out. It could definitely be useful in certain circumstances.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
First time working with BSD, and I'm confused about the "Search" field when I'm setting up my network configurations.

code:
+-------------------------------+
| Search			|
| IPv4 DNS #1			|
| IPv4 DNS #2			|
What's the "Search" field for? I found the entry about it in the FreeBSD manual, "Search list for hostname lookup. This is normally determined by the domain of the local hostname..." but I don't understand what it means.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

nescience posted:

First time working with BSD, and I'm confused about the "Search" field when I'm setting up my network configurations.

code:
| Search			|
| IPv4 DNS #1			|
| IPv4 DNS #2			|
What's the "Search" field for? I found the entry about it in the FreeBSD manual, "Search list for hostname lookup. This is normally determined by the domain of the local hostname..." but I don't understand what it means.

DNS lookups will append the search domain to your lookups if you just type a host. So if you have a local network and all the computers on on the domain 'mydomain.edu' you can type 'ssh computer' and it will try 'ssh computer.mydomain.edu'. There is also the 'domain' field as well you can add.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

doomisland posted:

DNS lookups will append the search domain to your lookups if you just type a host. So if you have a local network and all the computers on on the domain 'mydomain.edu' you can type 'ssh computer' and it will try 'ssh computer.mydomain.edu'. There is also the 'domain' field as well you can add.

so can I just leave this blank, since I'm not using it as a workstation? I'm just testing it as a web server.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nescience posted:

so can I just leave this blank, since I'm not using it as a workstation? I'm just testing it as a web server.

Yes. Only situation where it might be handy is if you're expecting to use some sort of internal dns routing where you'd want to be able to use something besides the fqdn...but that's an edge case for sure.

Don't forget sh /etc/netstart to refresh network interfaces, routes, etc. after changes to network configs :)

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

nescience posted:

feel free to delete that line entirely

Z3n posted:

Don't forget sh /etc/netstart to refresh network interfaces, routes, etc. after changes to network configs :)

That's completely unnecessary for resolv.conf changes, though

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

feld posted:

That's completely unnecessary for resolv.conf changes, though

Yeah. It's just one of those things I'm constantly forgetting after network changes :)

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Guys, 9.2-BETA2 is out. Please test if you can.

Also, if anyone here is a PLEX user I will be committing it to ports soon. You can get a preview of it here:

https://github.com/felderado/plexmediaserver_port

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I was actually going to post about that. I heard nothing about the beta status.

I just know I updated my "9-STABLE", and suddenly it says "9.2-BETA2".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I get an automated email every day. The subject is "<servername> security run output".

Part of it has changes in mounted filesystems, and it lists ZFS snapshots I've created and deleted. That sorta makes sense, as ZFS "directories" are treated as volumes.

But it only lists some of the ZFS snapshots.

If I create snapshots for "red", "blue", and "green", and then delete the "red-old", "blue-old", and "green-old" snapshots, it looks like this:

-tank/blue-old (removed)
+tank/blue (added)

Basically, ignoring the rest of the changes ("red" and "green"). Whatever is reporting some of those file system changes is also messing with our backup software. Our backup software is told to ignore all ZFS snapshots, but is still recording the addition of the new "blue" volume over and over. We only have a few directories backed up, and it causes our backup software to hang when it suddenly sees dozens of new volumes added every day (since snapshots are created via a cronjob).

Does anyone know why creating/deleting ZFS snapshots would trigger some sort of "changes in mounted filesystem" logs? What is monitoring this?

Edit:
It looks like this:
http://forums.freenas.org/threads/odd-security-log-entries-daily.14078/

I have ten times the ZFS snapshots listed, though.

Double Edit:

It looks like if someone tries to recovery something from a Snapshot, the system mounts all snapshot sub-directories as volumes. "mount -p" displays a shitload of entries.
It was causing our backup software (Retrospect) to get overwhelmed (a dozen volumes suddenly jumps to hundreds).

After doing some tests, it seems like our backup software was querying /compat/linux/proc/mtab. Removing the "linprocfs" entry in /etc/fstab killed the Linux proc structure, and I was able to specify a /compat/linux/etc/mtab to give Retrospect a much shorter list of volumes to back up.

I'm looking into how to get "security run output" to ignore changes in mounted volumes. I've trimmed it down to just 60 snapshot changes a day (creation and deletion), but that still leaves hundreds of existing snapshot directories (that could all potentially me mounted).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 21, 2013

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Check /etc/periodic/security/200.chkmounts. It's basically the output of mount -p from today diffed with /var/log/mount.yesterday (which is the output of mount -p from yesterday).

You can disable the check completely by setting daily_status_security_chkmounts_enable="NO" in /etc/periodic.conf.local

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Cool, it only took them a bit over EIGHT MONTHS months to get the binary update for the MASSIVE DATA-CORRUPTION BUG pushed out:

http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-13:03.mfi.asc

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Look ma, more BSDs! http://edgebsd.org/

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

Cool, it only took them a bit over EIGHT MONTHS months to get the binary update for the MASSIVE DATA-CORRUPTION BUG pushed out:

http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-13:03.mfi.asc

only affects disks larger than 2TB.

I recall reading something on the lists about the patch causing major issues on a certain mfi-based controller, so it took a while to get all hammered out.

If companies would donate these guys more hardware they'd have a better test environment when testing patches like this...

edit: nope. I'm thinking of a corruption caused by TRIM/UNMAP. Very odd this didn't get MFC'd before 9.1-RELEASE. The 9.1 freeze was happening during the commit of this patch to HEAD, but I'm guessing that they didn't feel they had enough time to properly test to make sure it doesn't cause worse symptoms before the 9.1-RELEASE so it was delayed. Bummer.

feld fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 23, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
9.1 was generally just kind of a hosed up release... fortunately, 9.2 should be dropping, like, today.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Leb posted:

9.1 was generally just kind of a hosed up release... fortunately, 9.2 should be dropping, like, today.

However, even numbered releases only get a year of security updates. Odd numbered get roughly 3.

Edit: this is historically, not the rule. I've seen talk of just killing 8.3 and 8.4 because "there are no external entities forcing us to support these releases. we can choose what to support and for how long at any point" or something like that. So support can definitely change at the whim of the core team if they think it is going to hold back progress.

edit2: looks like 9.2 RC3 is coming, so not today!

feld fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 24, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

feld posted:

only affects disks larger than 2TB.

And Dell sells these mfi-based systems with 3TB and 4TB disk options. We purchased ours with 12 3TB disks.
I tested it for weeks/months, loaded FreeBSD 9.1 final on it, and then read about the disk corruption.

I went from binary install RELEASE to source install STABLE around January 2nd, though. So I've been fixed since then.

When 9.2-RELEASE comes out, I will probably update to that and not rely on compiling world & kernel.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'll bring this up with the core team and find out why it missed 9.1 and no errata was issued sooner.

edit: just spoke with gjb -- the patch was mismerged. they missed the revision that actually fixed the problem when it was being MFC'd. It was supposed to hit 9.1-RELEASE. Nobody spoke up until recently.

In the future please make yourself loud on the mailing lists or pop in #bsddev on efnet. Make people aware if you see something like this. It wasn't intentional.

edit2: If I were you I'd probably compile 9.1-RELENG and drop that on my system instead of 9.2 because 9.1 will get security updates longer. If you're using ZFS though you might want some of the new things in 9.2.

edit3: I take that back... looks like they changed things up for 8.3 and 8.4 -- point releases are looking to get 2 years each. 9.2 will last you longer. Carry on!

feld fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 24, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

feld posted:

In the future please make yourself loud on the mailing lists or pop in #bsddev on efnet. Make people aware if you see something like this. It wasn't intentional.

I don't know how this magic works. I just give the FreeBSD Foundation money and play with their software.

The 9.1 release errata (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/errata.html) mentioned it as a known issue already in 2012. It was fixed in the stable branch, just not included in the release binary. I figured they (the ones who provide FreeBSD) knew what they were doing, and would release a binary update when it was ready - so there was no need for me to speak up.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

I don't know how this magic works. I just give the FreeBSD Foundation money and play with their software.

The 9.1 release errata (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/errata.html) mentioned it as a known issue already in 2012. It was fixed in the stable branch, just not included in the release binary. I figured they (the ones who provide FreeBSD) knew what they were doing, and would release a binary update when it was ready - so there was no need for me to speak up.

Hmmm I never noticed that listed in the errata page... I'll find out exactly when that was added. The date on that is very... concerning.

edit: so they added that note on Dec 25th, then took until recently to realize they forgot to issue the actual errata...

feld fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 29, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Well, at least this thread taught me that I should hate FreeBSD and not FreeNAS for packages not working :\

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Does anyone in this thread use FreeBSD as a desktop environment? Are there any advantages over Linux?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

keyvin posted:

Does anyone in this thread use FreeBSD as a desktop environment? Are there any advantages over Linux?

Yes.

Advantage? Audio just works.

keyvin posted:

There is a huge shift going on and when this is all over you'll love it /more/ than Linux distro's package management.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that there's a new BSD podcast, starting next week:

http://www.bsdnow.tv/

BSDnow is hosted by Kris Moore (PC-BSD founder) & Allan Jude (Techsnap podcast host, FreeBSD guru, runs a CDN).

It'll apparently cover all BSDs, not just FreeBSD.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wow, support for my graphics card got merged into 10-current just last week. Now I have to try running freebsd on my desktop.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Is there any good firmware out for Intel Centrino 6250 cards?

Does *BSD still have no power management for laptops?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Well, my first attempt at upgrading to 10-current was a flop. I ran through all of the steps and then wound up with 9.1 as my version with uname -v. I am trying again, but I don't know where I hosed up. The handbook makes it sound so easy.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
where I hosed up was having installed the 9.1 src into usr/src and then not deleting it before my svn check out... UPDATING has something in it from today now and before it hadn't been updated since 2011...

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
I'm going to put together a VM appliance for my customers to use, just a syslog/ftp sink for logs and backups from other parts of our solution, for smaller customers who don't have that sort of infrastructure in place already.

I'd like it to be FreeBSD because that's the OS I know best for this, but I need a front end menu for things like "configure IP". Something similar to what sysinstall used (and I guess the new installer, I haven't installed from scratch for a while) so I can have a simple menu and some text fields. All the stuff to go behind that I'm fine with building myself, but I'm after suggestions for the front-end.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

feld posted:

Advantage? Audio just works.

Audio didn't just work for me. It took me a little while to figure out that the driver defaulted to digital out on my sound card. Guess whoever wrote the driver uses digital out.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JamesOff posted:

I'm going to put together a VM appliance for my customers to use, just a syslog/ftp sink for logs and backups from other parts of our solution, for smaller customers who don't have that sort of infrastructure in place already.

I'd like it to be FreeBSD because that's the OS I know best for this, but I need a front end menu for things like "configure IP". Something similar to what sysinstall used (and I guess the new installer, I haven't installed from scratch for a while) so I can have a simple menu and some text fields. All the stuff to go behind that I'm fine with building myself, but I'm after suggestions for the front-end.

bsdconfig was created to be a replacement for sysinstall; it's under ports as sysutils/bsdconfig

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, the iconv changes in 10 made for a fun day of portmaster invocations. I should have given up, built packages for everything currently installed with poudriere, uninstalled everything, and reinstalled. Oh well, next machine.

Also: Thanks for the plex media server port ... I thought plex used one of the unimplemented linux syscalls? I've been running it on linux in a headless virtualbox instance, so being able to install it natively would remove some complexity.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Computer viking posted:

So, the iconv changes in 10 made for a fun day of portmaster invocations. I should have given up, built packages for everything currently installed with poudriere, uninstalled everything, and reinstalled. Oh well, next machine.

Also: Thanks for the plex media server port ... I thought plex used one of the unimplemented linux syscalls? I've been running it on linux in a headless virtualbox instance, so being able to install it natively would remove some complexity.

you should really use poudriere / packages and never compile directly on your production server. Even if it's on that same server, all of the mess from building is done in a jail. It keeps your install very clean, and upgrading is no longer scary -- you never have to worry about having something half broken and waiting for compiles to finish. all your packages will be waiting to be upgraded at the same time.

as for plex -- yeah, i was working with Elan of Plex on that for a while. It's natively built on FreeBSD now, but heed my warning -- only run it on FreeBSD 9.x for now. There's some python issues that I'm not sure he's fixed which affect FreeBSD 10.

keyvin posted:

Audio didn't just work for me. It took me a little while to figure out that the driver defaulted to digital out on my sound card. Guess whoever wrote the driver uses digital out.

The device must enumerate the digital out as the first output. On FreeBSD you normally don't see the developers trying to be clever and outwit the hardware. PC-BSD might work around this by letting you test audio output during the install. I can't remember, though.

sports posted:

Is there any good firmware out for Intel Centrino 6250 cards?

Does *BSD still have no power management for laptops?

Centrino 6250 is WiMAX. I'm not sure of any support for that. Adrian now works at Netflix instead of Qualcomm, but he's still doing a ton of Wifi work. I don't know if he can get the specs or if he simply has never encountered the hardware, but at this point in time he's the guy to look to for guidance on any wireless hardware on FreeBSD.

Power management -- what kind of issues are you having? Enable powerd, and if you want to sleep you run 'zzz'. I don't personally run on a laptop right now but a ton of the devs do and they have full support for their hardware.

hifi posted:

bsdconfig was created to be a replacement for sysinstall; it's under ports as sysutils/bsdconfig

bsdconfig is also coming in base with FreeBSD 10. You can thank Devin Teske for that -- he's the driving force behind the new loader menu and bsdconfig among other things.

I'll also leave you with this little gem he wrote recently:

http://feld.me/freebsd/coffeebreak.sh

Go and run that in a fullscreen terminal.

edit: 9.2-RELEASE holdup last I knew was an issue with ISO size. It's slightly too big to be written on a CD by some CDRWs. They're hashing out ways to slim it down.

feld fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 12, 2013

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I know, I just had some issues with my poudriere machine and the iconv changes, so I thought "it's just a few ports, it's probably easier to mangle them into working directly instead of finding the appropriate way to patch ports for poudriere" .In the end, it ended up with exactly zero actual port changes (and merely a lot of de/re-installing and cleanup), so things have gotten much better since I tried a week or three ago.

And 9 only? Hm, I can't remember what that machine runs. It might actually be 9.1.

Today's project: zfs send/receive a 4-disk zpool onto a new 4k-blocksize pool. Swap disks between the server and the eSATA enclosure. Try to boot from the new disks. If successful, wipe old disks, and add them to the new pool with 4k alignment. Finish by adding the so-far untouched disks from the other enclosure to the pool as well. The old disks are 4k-capable but the pool they're in is 512B-aligned; I thought I should clean that up before I add more disks.

As an estimation it'll be done around midnight, I guess I'll do the rest on Monday.

And yes, I do have backups.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 13, 2013

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

feld posted:

Power management -- what kind of issues are you having? Enable powerd, and if you want to sleep you run 'zzz'. I don't personally run on a laptop right now but a ton of the devs do and they have full support for their hardware.

I'd understood that FreeBSD was shocking on laptops in terms of battery life, and that most devs who use a laptop are running Macbooks, and developing via SSH or VMs. Not true.

I haven't got a suitable laptop to try it on right now.

O.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe
Will FreeBSD 10 have an installer capable of installing the OS on a root ZFS volume?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

alyandon posted:

Will FreeBSD 10 have an installer capable of installing the OS on a root ZFS volume?

Yes and no. Going by the current (sic) releases, you can choose to set up partitions by hand in a shell, which isn't too hard ... but there is still no nice curses-based way to do ZFS.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

alyandon posted:

You can try PC-BSD too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

Yes and no. Going by the current (sic) releases, you can choose to set up partitions by hand in a shell, which isn't too hard ... but there is still no nice curses-based way to do ZFS.

Yeah, I managed to get FreeBSD 10 installed via the memstick image onto a VM with a root ZFS partition using a custom script so that's definitely an improvement. Of course, I quickly discovered that pkgng still has an empty repository and all the pkg_* commands are no longer available so I'm left compiling everything from ports. :-/

Does anyone have any idea if pkgng is going to actually be in a usable state out-of-the-box by the time FreeBSD 10 is released?

• Locked thread