Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Five years ago was 2008, when the highest recorded gas prices ever were being charged. Gas was nationally averaging above $4.12 a gallon, and it was the first year since statistics were kept on this kind of thing that the U.S. consumed less gasoline than it had the previous year.

If you want to get back to $1.50/gal gas you need to go back to 2003 or earlier. Back then a barrel of crude was ~$30, now that same barrel's at ~$106. If oil companies were getting the same margin on refining and selling gas as they were getting in 2003, gas would be over $4.50.

Nobody seems to remember this, including myself, but you're wrong:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/25/news/economy/gas_prices/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The reason nobody remembers those low gas prices is because they were a 2-3 month aberration. An aberration with almost suspicious timing. And even then they never fell to $1.50/gallon.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA Average&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=96&units=us

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Q_res posted:

The reason nobody remembers those low gas prices is because they were a 2-3 month aberration. An aberration with almost suspicious timing. And even then they never fell to $1.50/gallon.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA Average&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=96&units=us

I miss being able to fill up for under 10 bucks and drive around all weekend just because I had nothing better to do.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

At first I thought the top picture had been taken twenty or thirty years ago and the bottom one was a re-creation based on the relative quality of the two pictures. I kinda hate the wheels on the Camaro, though.

Yeah, I can't say that I'm a fan either. Considering that that Camaro does occasionally see track time, at least from they've told me you'd think he'd have a better eye for the wheels.

The engine is the original 350 it came with, but I don't know what mods they've made to it. Allegedly it's putting out in the realm of 600 hp, but I haven't had a chance to really see it run.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Not as awesome as a lot of the stuff in here, but...

I'm digging the gas prices around work.

I pay 4.26 in Florida, but that's because I run non-ethanol gas. Then every complete fill up I add lead substitute. So gas costs me quite a bit lol. Man, I wish I had your prices.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Smoke posted:

I pay around €1.36 per liter here in Belgium for diesel, and that's at discount unmanned places. Others range between €1.40 and €1.50, with highway stations being even higher. My average use is about 23km/l(55mpg) though.

1,69 euro per liter diesel yesterday. In Sweden. But that's not awesome AI car poo poo. This is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

I miss being able to fill up for under 10 bucks and drive around all weekend just because I had nothing better to do.

When I got my learners permit gas was SEVENTY-NINE CENTS a gallon.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Q_res posted:

It was close. I'll give you that I was off a few cents. I know it was an aberration but I do know that the oil companies weren't hurting at that price either.

I'll just enjoy my 6 mile commute and not complain too much I guess.

edit: It did get below $1.50 in Austin 5 years ago. I knew it. Also, look at that crude price. Someone was making bank in there somewhere after around 2005.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA Average&city2=Austin&city3=&crude=y&tme=132&units=us

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 20, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Wildwood Boardwalk show starts tomorrow.

Take the other cars out of that shot and that picture could look like its from 30 years ago.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I hate to break up ~*gas chat*~ yes I do but this is parked outside my work and I love it.

SE-R with a not poo poo body kit, painted to match and shoes I like. /swoon

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

I miss cheap hot bites at 7-11, too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Yeah, I can't say that I'm a fan either. Considering that that Camaro does occasionally see track time, at least from they've told me you'd think he'd have a better eye for the wheels.

The engine is the original 350 it came with, but I don't know what mods they've made to it. Allegedly it's putting out in the realm of 600 hp, but I haven't had a chance to really see it run.

Haha yeah, if it's making much more than half that, there's not much of the original engine left. Judging by his choice in wheels, though, it's probably just "Fahf Hunnert," I'd love to be proven wrong though. Get him to lift up the hood!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

West SAAB Story posted:

Full tank of gas, six-pack of beer, pack of smokes, and a hot dog, and get change from $20. It wasn't that long ago, and the hot dogs are still $1. The rest is not due to inflation.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

West SAAB Story posted:

And having enough change in your ashtray for a 1/2 tank of gas in an emergency.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Raluek posted:

Haha yeah, if it's making much more than half that, there's not much of the original engine left. Judging by his choice in wheels, though, it's probably just "Fahf Hunnert," I'd love to be proven wrong though. Get him to lift up the hood!

Nah, he's a young guy, decidedly not redneck, goes to school with me. His family has money, though whether it's more than the sense they have I don't know. They got the Camaro by trading a boat for it. Anyhow, I don't think he does his own work on it, I believe they have the big local Hotrod Shop do it, something to do with family friends.

( To be fair though, I have no money AND no sense, and it shows lol. A poor man driving an old chevy surely is a sign of stupidity?)

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 20, 2013

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I hate to break up ~*gas chat*~ yes I do but this is parked outside my work and I love it.

SE-R with a not poo poo body kit, painted to match and shoes I like. /swoon

That's perfect. Every SE-R from that era around here is beat to absolute poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm still amazed that it took me so long to notice how similar the proportions of that generation of SE-R are to the e30.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kill-9 posted:

And having enough change in your ashtray for a 1/2 tank of gas in an emergency.

You can fit a couple $20 bills in the ashtray pretty easy, and that's change if you're breaking a $100. :colbert:

(I am 25, gas was already above $3 when I started driving don't hit me)

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The rest is not due to inflation.

I know, that's total horseshit. That's become the new defense that the media uses to defend the oil companies. I distinctly remember buying gas for $1.12 per gallon right after I got my license in 2002. According to the Bureau of Labor's inflation adjuster, that's $1.46 today. I also remember right after the war in Iraq started in 2003 gas went up to $1.43 near me and I was blown away at how expensive it was. That would be equivalent to $1.82 today.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

A poor man driving an old chevy surely is a sign of stupidity?)

Yep.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

lazer_chicken posted:

I know, that's total horseshit. That's become the new defense that the media uses to defend the oil companies. I distinctly remember buying gas for $1.12 per gallon right after I got my license in 2002. According to the Bureau of Labor's inflation adjuster, that's $1.46 today. I also remember right after the war in Iraq started in 2003 gas went up to $1.43 near me and I was blown away at how expensive it was. That would be equivalent to $1.82 today.

It's almost like global demand for petroleum products is rising or something :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EightBit posted:

It's almost like global demand for petroleum products is rising or something :v:

Evidence: That big drop in gas prices coincided with the worst recession since 1929. Meaning everyone was unemployed. And therefore couldn't afford/didn't need to drive. Demand drops, prices adjust down until equilibrium is reached, economics 101.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Nerds. Pictures. Awesome stuff.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

some texas redneck posted:

Okay, I'll admit it - I got 10c/gal off with my Kroger card (I get 3c/gal off with it normally, unless I've spent at least $100 on groceries for the month). That's still a pre-discount price of $3.019, which is loving awesome. The gas stations around where I live range from $3.19-$3.59, while the stations around work range from $3.01-$3.89.

I've done about 2500 miles in the past month alone. :sigh: Small car, but I'm lucky to break 23 MPG (on a car rated mid 30s highway) while working. My absolute best tank on this thing so far has been a bit under 28, all highway :suicide: (though it was well north of 100F outside, and the a/c was running nonstop).

drat dude.. You should head over to the mk2 Prius (+TDI content) thread where i am apparently making an rear end of myself with my use of facts and math. You could buy a more efficient car and break even VERY quickly with that kind of usage, especially if you're getting paid for mileage.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Yup, same here. I told that to my nephew a while back and he literally didn't believe me. He was born in 2000. Hell, I remember my parents filling up with a $20 bill back in the 80's, and getting change back.

Even in 2005, gas was like $1.49. I bought my Hemi Ram with nary a care in the world about 12mpg, three weeks later Katrina hit. Perfect timing.

Crosspost from SAS content. Some of you might be familiar with Tim Richmond, the rising NASCAR star who had his career and life cut short when he contracted AIDS. Well, he got his start in sprints, modifieds, and supermodifieds. Here he is in a really supermodified.

See the helmet on that tire?

Yeah, he's in this beast.

More about it here. 1,300 pounds, 900-1,000hp .060 overbore 427 aluminum Can-Am engine, 20" wide tires, balls the size of Epcot.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 21, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sup.

Edit: ^^^ How much coke? All of it. All the coke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

You're just jealous of my great age and experience.

Seriously, drove across the state of South Dakota for $20.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seeing the great DeLorean cleanup made me think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPVt3cMkT0

A laser cleaning tool. http://lasercleanall.com/products.html

They have a backpack unit, which invokes a different great movie

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, drove across the state of South Dakota for $20.

People just want to get out of South Dakota more these days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

11BulletCatcher posted:

I pay 4.26 in Florida, but that's because I run non-ethanol gas. Then every complete fill up I add lead substitute. So gas costs me quite a bit lol. Man, I wish I had your prices.

I filled up again tonight. $2.869/gallon. :stare: Another Kroger station, though this one was kind of in the boonies (gave a coworker a ride home, it was on the way).

Vigo327 posted:

drat dude.. You should head over to the mk2 Prius (+TDI content) thread where i am apparently making an rear end of myself with my use of facts and math. You could buy a more efficient car and break even VERY quickly with that kind of usage, especially if you're getting paid for mileage.

Won't touch a Prius, only because I refuse to own anything without a manual transmission (I'll get an auto or CVT when I'm too old to shift). TDI would be neat, but I can't afford one on what I make. I don't plan to make a career out of this (... again) either.

I get a flat $1.10 per delivery from the store; the delivery could be to the hotel in our parking lot, or across town. They charge the customer $2.50 for delivery. :fuckoff:

Rhyno posted:

Same. Got my permit in... 1994, I think? I got it just before I turned 16..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy hell you guys, whining about your pocketbook at the pump is as far from AI as it gets. Shut the hell up and post some awesome pictures.

None of these people give a gently caress about ten cents a gallon and in this thread neither should you.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I refuse to believe that is a Prius doing a burnout and will assume someone dropped a smoke bomb under the left rear tire until proven otherwise. :colbert:

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holy hell you guys, whining about your pocketbook at the pump is as far from AI as it gets. Shut the hell up and post some awesome pictures.

Touche good sir. Touche.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

I refuse to believe that is a Prius doing a burnout and will assume someone dropped a smoke bomb under the left rear tire until proven otherwise. :colbert:

yeah that's photoshopped smoke, there isn't even anyone in the driver's seat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Prius with RWD?

It's either fake as hell or a totally awesome engine+drivetrain swap. I'm sort of hoping for the latter.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

A Prius with RWD?

It's either fake as hell or a totally awesome engine+drivetrain swap. I'm sort of hoping for the latter.

I recall reading about one that had a built 2JZ and Supra running gear swapped in.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That's a photoshop yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

Linedance posted:

yeah that's photoshopped smoke, there isn't even anyone in the driver's seat.

He's just very small. And the reason the right rear isnt spinning is because this is actually part of a contest to see who can do a RWD conversion without any kind of limited slip and then see who can shoot their diff pin the farthest. It's a very elaborate and expensive contest so only the shortest, richest, and most talented fabricators are even invited.