Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

The only problem with the Paulbomb is that a lot of his supporters will read that and go, "yes, and?" Most Libertarians I've talked to are fully aware of his positions and are perfectly okay with them.

Of course, the Ron Paul club is a borderline political religion at this point, and he could probably literally eat a baby and still have people defending him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mister Bates posted:

The only problem with the Paulbomb is that a lot of his supporters will read that and go, "yes, and?" Most Libertarians I've talked to are fully aware of his positions and are perfectly okay with them.

Of course, the Ron Paul club is a borderline political religion at this point, and he could probably literally eat a baby and still have people defending him.

Paulbomb is for low-info people who read something about Paul and get all enthusiastic about him (legalize weeeeeeeeeed, man!), but don't understand the depths of crazy involved.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This is now playing as an pre-video ad on YouTube

oh no not my butt

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

There are still a lot of fence-sitters who believe he is a political Third Way because they read his "the federal government shouldn't be involved in [liberal pet issues]" spiel and the like. So they skip out on the fact that he is still a Republican and the reason he wants the federal government out is so that states can enact racist fiefdoms, which is the shallow end of the Ron Paul cesspool. He is popular among young would-be leftists who don't understand politics or do their homework.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I keep hearing about these medals or trophies we all got just for participating, ALWAYS about these participation medals and trophies, the medals and trophies that made us weak and entitled and egotistical and unable to cope with failure and materialistic and noncompetitive and whiny and so on... but I can't help but think that if I'm going to be labeled all these things and slandered in every article that mentions my generation because of these trophies, I would have liked to have actually received just one. :smith:

:smug: You're welcome, young man.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Highly informative. I'm told that butt-stuff is bad, so okay. Count me out!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Stay out of my butt, gubmint! Only corporations are allowed in there! :argh:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Internet Webguy posted:

I'll have you know that robot is extremely expensive and the poors are eating us into debt. Don't be insensitive.
To be fair, a fighter pilot was a significant investment in training alone, never mind all that food and housing he got in the duration

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
$2.6 million for training and $150 million for the F-22 vs. $4.03 million for the Predator, in fact.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

This was pretty amazing:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There's also one for women!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cRsfW0Jv8

These feel kinda rapey. I'd say it wasn't their intent but I'm pretty sure "Government wants to rape you" is the subtext.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Did Congress "exempt themselves from Obamacare"?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

myron cope posted:

No.

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act posted:

D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE.

(i) REQUIREMENT & Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are:

(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or

(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).

Says clear as can be Congress has to adopt a health plan covered by this.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

RagnarokAngel posted:

No.

This actually wasn't supposed to happen because the federal government provides health insurance to its employees. Some GOP Senator though during the ACA debates though offered the amendment to try to score political points with the "Hey if this is so good why don't you make congress sign up for it" line of thought thinking it wouldn't actually be put into the bill. Then the Democrats responded with "Alright, let's vote for it :smug:"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

No.

The person who keeps saying it (I've posted some of his poo poo before) I think is saying they exempted themselves after the fact/recently.

Also I now have a friend sharing Allen West status updates.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

Nope; in fact, Congress is required to purchase insurance from the insurance exchanges once those come online. There was a bunch of hoopla raised a couple months back by political commentators about an exemption but they vastly misrepresented the whole point of the exemption. It works like this:

Right now, Congress and it's staffers get healthcare through the same program all government employees do, and it's essentially a variety of plans provided by private insurers. Because all government workers are not as filthy rich as Congress, their employer (the Federal government) subsidizes a portion of their premium payments, much like what happens with millions of Americans with their private employers.

However, Congress and it's staffers are special, and unlike the rest of the country they are uniquely being forced to drop their existing coverage and purchase insurance through the new exchanges set up under PPACA. The problem is that would mean they all lose their employer provided subsidy; Congress and their staff would suddenly go from paying only part of their premiums to having to pay all of their premiums of out pocket, a large cost increase, without having any choice in the matter.

So where's this "exemption"? The Office of Personnel Management, which administers the federal healthcare program for federal employees, put out a ruling that the government would continue to make the same premium contributions for Congress and staffers who are being forced onto the PPACA exchanges as they were getting previously under the regular FEHB.

So no they aren't exempted, and in reality they are uniquely required to participate in PPACA above and beyond what normal citizens are required to do.

Some helpful sources: FactCheck, Politifact, The OPM rule proposed

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 21, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Burger King mascot is really desperate for work these days, I see.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Nope; in fact, Congress is required to purchase insurance from the insurance exchanges once those come online. There was a bunch of hoopla raised a couple months back by political commentators about an exemption but they vastly misrepresented the whole point of the exemption. It works like this:

Right now, Congress and it's staffers get healthcare through the same program all government employees do, and it's essentially a variety of plans provided by private insurers. Because all government workers are not as filthy rich as Congress, their employer (the Federal government) subsidizes a portion of their premium payments, much like what happens with millions of Americans with their private employers.

However, Congress and it's staffers are special, and unlike the rest of the country they are uniquely being forced to drop their existing coverage and purchase insurance through the new exchanges set up under PPACA. The problem is that would mean they all lose their employer provided subsidy; Congress and their staff would suddenly go from paying only part of their premiums to having to pay all of their premiums of out pocket, a large cost increase, without having any choice in the matter.

So where's this "exemption"? The Office of Personnel Management, which administers the federal healthcare program for federal employees, put out a ruling that the government would continue to make the same premium contributions for Congress and staffers who are being forced onto the PPACA exchanges as they were getting previously under the regular FEHB.

So no they aren't exempted, and in reality they are uniquely required to participate in PPACA above and beyond what normal citizens are required to do.

Some helpful sources: FactCheck, Politifact, The OPM rule proposed

Sounds like a complete gently caress-up. They should have just left them alone like everybody else who has employer offered coverage.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJlfNHrrzo

Check out the rest of that channel.

Youth are unemployed so how can they pay for Obamacare? 

A new challenger has appeared in the "most punchable face" competition. Will he unseat reigning champion, Steven Crowder?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 21, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Nth Doctor posted:

I got into a dust-up over that loving GYPSY article over the past few days.
It's pretty much settled now, but I figured I'd submit to the hive mind's critique of my presentation of evidence.

You should ask them if it gets exhausting having to move those heavy goalposts all day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mo_Steel posted:

Do we have any figures regarding how large these subsidies are relative to the income levels of federal employees? Because now the line of attack I'm getting is:

"How about they just get the same subsidy anyone else making $170k a year would get if he worked for, say, Exon or Halliburton and they weren't given health insurance?

That sounds fair, doesn't it?

I mean, really, they're already making $170k a year. Do they really NEED the other $11k?"

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJlfNHrrzo

Check out the rest of that channel.

Youth are unemployed so how can they pay for Obamacare? 

A new challenger has appeared in the "most punchable face" competition. Will he unseat reigning champion, Steven Crowder?

Yeah, the GenOpp site itself seems to be the worst kind of astroturfing as well.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sir Rolo posted:

Yeah, the GenOpp site itself seems to be the worst kind of astroturfing as well.

Hey, we found a 20 something without a mullet willing to say conservative bullshit, let's milk this for all it's worth. Who knows how long it'll be before we find another!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Knight posted:

I keep hearing about these medals or trophies we all got just for participating, ALWAYS about these participation medals and trophies, the medals and trophies that made us weak and entitled and egotistical and unable to cope with failure and materialistic and noncompetitive and whiny and so on... but I can't help but think that if I'm going to be labeled all these things and slandered in every article that mentions my generation because of these trophies, I would have liked to have actually received just one. :smith:

:smug: You're welcome, young man.
What a huge coincidence that the last great generation was theirs! And the generation after is full of lazy, ungrateful brats?? What a unique and original observation!
The thread is always the same "MY generation was super great and awesome, not like today's generation that thinks they're so super great and awesome. MY generation was grateful and respectful to the elders that taught them and praised them and raised them with care and love, stupid rear end in a top hat this generation fails to respect MY generation no matter how many times we call them stupid, ungrateful, and lazy!"

The last time an older friend of a relative posted one of these "stupid ungrateful generation" things on Facebook I replied "Your generation will be dead soon and the only wisdom I'll be able to pass down is page after page of you calling us stupid and lazy. I'm sure the next generation will benefit greatly from that."
I got blocked and his posts disappeared.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, really, they're already making $170k a year. Do they really NEED the other $11k?"

The cynic in me believes this is a right winger who would typically argue against raising taxes on rich people because JOB CREATORS.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
It's a rainy Saturday here. It's the week in LL101:

Syria.

Syria.

Navy Yard shooting.

Detroit.

Ironicat.

Debt Ceiling.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That last one is great. It's a reasonable (if truncated) explanation of what raising the debt ceiling does but they just go "What an idiot right guys???"

mystes
May 31, 2006

A lot of the amateur runners who don't care about their time aren't even millennials. But beyond that, the biggest problem I have with this is the completely unsupported assumption that if more people with slower times are participating in races this shows that these people are less inclined to competition.

If anything, doesn't the fact that more amateur runners are participating in races (and probably actually concerned with their time barring evidence to the contrary) rather than just running on their own show that they are more competitive?

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I always see people in their 20s sharing those "lol fucken millennials amirite?" articles. It makes me sad :(

My dad is a Boomer and likes to apologize for how the baby boomers hosed everything up for everybody else. A good dad. I wish he used Facebook more, he's good at calling people out on their bullshit.

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 14, 2013

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So other than the NYT article that talks about the drop in premiums from $1000 to $308 for private insurance with Obamacare, are there any other reports coming out?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sir Rolo posted:

Navy Yard shooting.
Yes, all those liberal gun hating military generals! I'm pretty sure you haven't been able to carry guns on a military base without a reason basically forever.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

nm posted:

Yes, all those liberal gun hating military generals! I'm pretty sure you haven't been able to carry guns on a military base without a reason basically forever.

Also, there's basically nobody on the navy yard who would be packing if they could. It's all naval officers, contractors, and museum goers. The existing guards(pmc) there are very well armed though. Sounds like this is a failure of the free market to me.

Edit: Autocorrect.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do we have any figures regarding how large these subsidies are relative to the income levels of federal employees? Because now the line of attack I'm getting is:

"How about they just get the same subsidy anyone else making $170k a year would get if he worked for, say, Exon or Halliburton and they weren't given health insurance?

That sounds fair, doesn't it?

Shifting goalposts aside, the problem isn't with members of Congress making $174k a year, it's with Congressional staffers who are also subject to the requirement and make between $29k to $100k annually. The OPM pays for 72% to 75% of the premiums of covered federal employees, and that premium coverage is part of their compensation they earned for working; they have a table of premiums for various plans available. If a staffer earning $29,000 and insured as BCBS Basic Self, they currently pay $128 a month for their premium. These individuals are being legally required to change their insurance plan (something no one else in the U.S. is required to do) to the new Exchanges, and as a result your friend is arguing they should also have to pay an extra $384 out of pocket a month, and have no alternative. It's the difference between paying $1,536 annually for premiums versus $6,144 annually for premiums.

I can't reiterate enough that the premium coverage they currently receive is part of their compensation for their employment. There's nothing about this situation that is unfair or unacceptable. There's no difference between doing this and just paying all staffers the difference in cash except that it's easier to administer this way while still enabling staffers to purchase the best plan for them.

e: As far as I'm aware, there's nothing stopping private businesses from doing the exact same thing. If Bill's Auto with 4 employees wants to help pay some of it's employees premiums and they purchase off the exchanges as individuals, that's all fine and dandy. From the Politifact article: "When we went through the 906-page law, we could not find anything that would ban employer copays for insurance bought through the exchanges or that would 'require people to pay for their exchange plans on their own'[...]".

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 21, 2013

Deadman63
Apr 16, 2005

Lord Girlyman posted:

Also, there's basically nobody on the navy yard who would be packing if they could. It's all naval officers, contractors, and museum goers. The existing guards(pmc) there are very well armed though. Sounds like this is a failure of the free market to me.

Edit: Autocorrect.

It also ignores the fact that there was an armed guard there, and Alexis just killed him and took his weapon, then used it against the police.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deadman63 posted:

It also ignores the fact that there was an armed guard there, and Alexis just killed him and took his weapon, then used it against the police.

These are the same people who ignore that there was a shoot out between a school police officer and the shooters at Columbine before they ever got in the building. The only solution to mass shootings is to have everyone shooting!

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
The guy in white is one of the odious people behind the "Liberty singers" in the Wisconsin capitol, who have been working to crowd out genuine protest singers. He's all about the BENGHAZI!!!!! nonsense, and Darrell Issa served up some red meat for him to chew on:

The two links in the post:
Breitbart's Crap
Slate's takedown
Shockingly, when the guy in white is presented with evidence that Issa was lying, and that he himself was lying, he simply adjusts to a sort of "pox on both your houses" stance. What propels an otherwise very nice person to such levels of dishonesty?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Steve is a doctor, I'm Andrew:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

JohnClark posted:

The guy in white is one of the odious people behind the "Liberty singers" in the Wisconsin capitol, who have been working to crowd out genuine protest singers. He's all about the BENGHAZI!!!!! nonsense, and Darrell Issa served up some red meat for him to chew on:

The two links in the post:
Breitbart's Crap
Slate's takedown
Shockingly, when the guy in white is presented with evidence that Issa was lying, and that he himself was lying, he simply adjusts to a sort of "pox on both your houses" stance. What propels an otherwise very nice person to such levels of dishonesty?

Just a reminder that one of Issa's previous career choices was literally "thief."

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
A person on Facebook just linked this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYlfFW-20w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Phone posted:

Steve is a doctor, I'm Andrew:

Holy poo poo, someone used "ad hominem" correctly.