Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Lovecraft's exceptional racism isn't as easy to spot now, in comparison to the conventions of the day, because it wasn't typically directed at the usual targets. He was relatively normal when it came to the usual skin colour variations, but holy gently caress did he hate the Spanish.

Edit: Did not plan on starting a new page with dead racist horror writers. Got no panels, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

from Strange Adventures 45

Gorilla covers never get old.

e:
The Gorilla Professor wonders why these two humans are so content to be in a gorilla zoo. The truth, it turns out, is absurd and stupid:

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 19, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Man this seems like a pretty big security flaw
Strange Adventures 51

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Gorilla covers never get old.

e:
The Gorilla Professor wonders why these two humans are so content to be in a gorilla zoo. The truth, it turns out, is absurd and stupid:

Once again, Strange Adventures lives up to its title.

Which is it? An endless staircase or does it go somewhere? C'mon Stan get it together.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Once again, Strange Adventures lives up to its title.

Which is it? An endless staircase or does it go somewhere? C'mon Stan get it together.

It goes somewhere, but he doesn't have enough stars yet.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Please somebody spoil that strip for me I can't take the suspense.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Please somebody spoil that strip for me I can't take the suspense.

It's a Led Zepplin reference, but he's a villain so he can't reach the top, and so he turns around and this happens.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of twist endings in old anthologies, I've recently come across what would've been one of the best panels in comic book history if it hadn't been cut out.

Chamber Of Darkness #4 used hooded witches gathered around a cauldron as the framing device for a story. This is what the last page looked like:

And this is what Jack Kirby originally drew:

If Marvel Comics ever came to an end, that last panel, devoid of dialogue, is what it should look like.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gatts posted:

I always appreciate Transformers artists because it can't be easy to keep a schedule and draw complicated tech well.

I was a big fan of Geoff Senior in the original comics in my youth, he got the angular toy look just right while still putting a lot of action into the panels.

Then there was the other guy who obviously had a phobia of rulers; awful lumpy bulgy robots - what was his name? Every issue he did the art was a childhood :rolleyes:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

TwoPair posted:

Did somebody mention Dr. Strange's relationship woes? Well that's as good of an excuse as I need to repost these!

New Avengers: The Illuminati #4
I always wondered if this was deliberately written as a reverse Bechdel Test.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

John Dyne posted:

It's a Led Zepplin reference, but he's a villain so he can't reach the top, and so he turns around and this happens.

That is Ditko As gently caress.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The entire issue of Adventure Time #20 needs to be posted here, but I'll settle for someone posting the pages from the adventure tome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
After reading Gavok and some other people post positively about it recently, I gave Thunderbolts a shot. It's surprisingly decent. Anyway, context: Frank Castle is leading the team to (unsurprisingly, as Deadpool points out) take out a NYC crime family. But then they get caught in traffic.

And then because this is actually an Infinity tie-in, Thanos starts attacking the city.

Thunderbolts #15

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It's so weird. When characters actually do something, the book is actually enjoyable.

Anyway, here's the book that had the first showing of the Heroic Age era New Avengers in Wolverine: Weapon X (I think issue 9 or something like that)

When Aaron gets finished with Thor, I'd love for him to get a Spidey title.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hahahaha oh God that was hilarious. Danny and Luke's is the best panel and so is the notion of the catchphrases in battle. Holy poo poo I actually have a tear. I think I took it as some kind of meta commentary on superhero comics/characters though.

EDIT: I think Jason Aaron just loving gets it, though.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 20, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Thunderbolts #15
I attended a small local comic-con a few months ago with a friend who knows just enough about superheroes that he can identify the popular ones, and specifically pointed out how he liked this one guy's Spider-Man costume.

It was Deadpool.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

I attended a small local comic-con a few months ago with a friend who knows just enough about superheroes that he can identify the popular ones, and specifically pointed out how he liked this one guy's Spider-Man costume.

It was Deadpool.

Jeez, even when Liefeld gets it right he fucks up.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

notthegoatseguy posted:

It's so weird. When characters actually do something, the book is actually enjoyable.

Anyway, here's the book that had the first showing of the Heroic Age era New Avengers in Wolverine: Weapon X (I think issue 9 or something like that)

When Aaron gets finished with Thor, I'd love for him to get a Spidey title.

Is there a more legible version of that? I can't read the tiny writing on it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Good thing other heroes never got dumb catchphrases.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 24, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

Actually Lovecraft was so shockingly racist, even considering the era, that his correspondence with fellow pulp writer of the age Robert E. Howard actually went a ways toward making Howard less racist.

Yeah, you read that right. He was easily capable of out-racisting someone from 1920s Texas to the point that they went "woah woah hold on a minute".

A few years ago Terry Bison wrote a really good story called "Shoggoths in Bloom" that was essentially a response to Lovecraft's racism. It's worth checking out if you're a fan of Lovecraft because it's a different direction from the usual pastiches.

This was my exact reaction to the film conversation.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Are you talking about Elizabeth Bear's piece from Asimov's Science Fiction, or are there really two different pieces dealing with Lovecraft's racism named Shoggoths in Bloom? For reference, here's Bear's story: http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0803/shoggoths.shtml

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Weird did the Thunderbolt suddenly become a good book? I remember reading the initial run drawn by Dillon I think and it was garbage. When did it start becoming good?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's still not quite there, but giving Way the boot is the beginning of it trying desperately to climb out of the hole.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Are you talking about Elizabeth Bear's piece from Asimov's Science Fiction, or are there really two different pieces dealing with Lovecraft's racism named Shoggoths in Bloom? For reference, here's Bear's story: http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0803/shoggoths.shtml

Yes I am. Wrong animal scifi author.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Weird did the Thunderbolt suddenly become a good book? I remember reading the initial run drawn by Dillon I think and it was garbage. When did it start becoming good?

I haven't read it in months, so this is news to me too. I've dropped almost every DC book I was buying, should I give this another chance?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gatts posted:

Hahahaha oh God that was hilarious. Danny and Luke's is the best panel and so is the notion of the catchphrases in battle. Holy poo poo I actually have a tear. I think I took it as some kind of meta commentary on superhero comics/characters though.

Do Danny and Luke even really hang out anymore?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Pretty much what Mr. Maltose said. It's not fantastic, but it has some really humorous moments and seems to be getting better and better with time, so hopefully given enough time away from the toxic touch of people like Dillon or Way, it'll become a truly good book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gatts posted:

You'd love the panels from the Carnage mini where Hawkeye cant stand Grimm's catchphrases.

Ah here it is.

TwoPair posted:

Yep, I've still got those sitting in my images folder! Along with this "Avengers dicking around" scene:

Anyway, action time, Carnage is attacking, Cap wants to leave, Spidey points out that they should get a sonic cannon from the FF to fight symbiotes.

Then of course, a page or two later...

Carnage USA #1

I'm so disappointed that Minimum Carnage was such a letdown after Carnage and Carnage USA were so good.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Do Danny and Luke even really hang out anymore?

they showed up at the end of the most recent superior foes issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hollis posted:

Way left at #11. #12 was a decent Punisher solo story. #13 was cleaning up a mess Way created where he introduced a character Mercy while never explaining her in any way before leaving. #14 is when the series hits its new mission statement and finally picks up.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I was a big fan of Geoff Senior in the original comics in my youth, he got the angular toy look just right while still putting a lot of action into the panels.

Then there was the other guy who obviously had a phobia of rulers; awful lumpy bulgy robots - what was his name? Every issue he did the art was a childhood :rolleyes:

That was Dan Reed , I think. Reed's stuff always looked like everyone was covered in crude oil for no reason. Senior was better by miles.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Time #20 The adventure tome has lots of useful information.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From Iron Man #149, Doom and Tony dance whenever they're able.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Random Stranger posted:

A few years ago Terry Bison wrote a really good story called "Shoggoths in Bloom" that was essentially a response to Lovecraft's racism. It's worth checking out if you're a fan of Lovecraft because it's a different direction from the usual pastiches.

According to Wikipedia, it was Elizabeth Bear who wrote the story. So... wrong large mammal? :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fuego Fish posted:

According to Wikipedia, it was Elizabeth Bear who wrote the story. So... wrong large mammal? :v:

Random Stranger posted:

Yes I am. Wrong animal scifi author.

Yup.

EDIT: Seriously, everybody read that story, I linked to it and everything. It's SO good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

From Iron Man #149, Doom and Tony dance whenever they're able.

Doom pushes the pram a lot

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yup.

EDIT: Seriously, everybody read that story, I linked to it and everything. It's SO good.

Where? The wikipedia link to the story on Bear's site is dead.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Squidster posted:

Where? The wikipedia link to the story on Bear's site is dead.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Shoot, my reading comprehension would appear to be terrible. I had actually read that after I googled the name, but assumed it was an incomplete excerpt based on the whole "Please make sure to check out the conclusion in our March issue on sale now!" in the footer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Squidster posted:

Shoot, my reading comprehension would appear to be terrible. I had actually read that after I googled the name, but assumed it was an incomplete excerpt based on the whole "Please make sure to check out the conclusion in our March issue on sale now!" in the footer.

Magazines usually post the entirety of award nominated (or in this case winning) stories on their sites. It helps raise their profile in the voting.

• Locked thread