Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
Yes.

I don't know about the prices un the US. The 5DMkII is not that much pricier If looking at second hand or a 60D with a nice lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Seamonster posted:

The 60D is cheap enough that people even thinking about rebels should really take a close look at the used market. Good for buyers but my resale value :negative:

Having gone from a T2i to a 60D I can recommend it, especially if you have big hands, for the improved physical feel alone. The slightly bigger size over the Rebel changes from "too big to be compact but too small to be comfortable without a grip" to "drat good without a grip."

At used prices it's a great deal and easy to justify even as a first DSLR (I still love my T2i though and keep it as a handy backup).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
IMO, its the ONLY body to recommend as a first DSLR now that the prices are low enough. You don't have to be experienced to appreciate the better viewfinder, ergos and learning about ISO, aperture and shutter speed is much smoother when you have the top lcd screen to give you that instant feedback and settings control.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Seamonster posted:

IMO, its the ONLY body to recommend as a first DSLR now that the prices are low enough. You don't have to be experienced to appreciate the better viewfinder, ergos and learning about ISO, aperture and shutter speed is much smoother when you have the top lcd screen to give you that instant feedback and settings control.

Yes, no one should consider options from other companies besides canon.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

Yes, no one should consider options from other companies besides canon.

Surely it isn't as if this is a manufacturer-specific thread...?!?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

Just ignore him if it bugs you, he treats the entire forum like it's some kind of Pentax holy ground.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

xzzy posted:

Just ignore him if it bugs you, he treats the entire forum like it's some kind of Pentax holy ground.

Jokes on you, it is. Buy a Pentax ME Super and if you really want to shoot digital get the Pentax K-30 (the best entry level SLR).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xzzy posted:

Gettin' dangerously close to rule 2a here.

The thread in general, I mean.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

There's saying that it's the only canon body you should consider, and there's saying it's the ONLY body you should consider. Just playing devil's advocate!

xzzy posted:

It's not?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ok this is legit pretty funny, now I guess resume talking about how the T3 is terrible or whatever it is you people do in this thread :v:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

demonachizer posted:

I am really confused because the 6D is the intermediary in price between the 70D and the 5D Mark 3. Are you sure you are not mistaking one of the models? It would make a lot more sense if you were talking about comparing the 6D and the 5DM3 or the 70D and maybe the 6D at least from a pricing perspective.

Prices from Amazon bodies only:

70D--1199
6D---1895
5DM3-3349

Well, yeah there is a huge price gap between the two I'm looking at, and no mistake. The idea is that I'm trying to mentally talk myself out of the "just buy the 70D because you need a better camera right now" and wait and save up and buy the 5DM3 sometime after Christmas or something. But as I said a few times before, I'm a student at the moment and I kind of desperately need the video capabilities because the only body I have right now that does any video at all is a Rebel T3 and it's just garbage. My other body - the one I mainly shoot with - is a Canon 40D - and I find that I'm reaching the limits of what I can do with it, especially with the low light sort of things I want to do.

Part of the con for going with the 5DM3 is that I would have to replace a lot of lenses, which really I can't afford to do quickly... so, eh, as someone else said the choice really is pretty clear at this point I guess. I'll just get this stupid one and re-sell it when I've saved up enough to make the jump to FF in a year or three.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Don't get a 5D3 simply because "welp, that's what those professional people use" and certainly don't spend twice as much on one if you're not actually going to use it to its potential.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.
Since it's sort of relevant, here's an example of what the 6D will do in low light with the 24-105 f4 kit lens. ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/8 sec.

IMG_1839-2 by wondervolt, on Flickr

This is a crop of the same image:

IMG_1839 by wondervolt, on Flickr

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's kinda cheating because it's actually combining four different exposures, but here's the night exposure mode on the EOS M, standard 18-55 STM lens.

The second one IRL it was pretty dark, I almost can't believe how much more sensitive the camera is than the human eye.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

It's kinda cheating because it's actually combining four different exposures, but here's the night exposure mode on the EOS M, standard 18-55 STM lens.

The second one IRL it was pretty dark, I almost can't believe how much more sensitive the camera is than the human eye.

It's a fun feature, although it uses ISO 12600 to get the relatively fast shutter speed and the high ISO noise is pretty apparent. I still use it though- beats trying to hand-hold at 1/4s or something.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Binary Badger posted:

Haaaaay, Brooklyn buddy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

That drat Satyr posted:

The idea is that I'm trying to mentally talk myself out of the "just buy the 70D because you need a better camera right now" and wait and save up and buy the 5DM3 sometime after Christmas or something.
Part of the con for going with the 5DM3 is that I would have to replace a lot of lenses, which really I can't afford to do quickly...
If you don't need the trillion AF points, go with the 6D and have some money left in the budget to replace lenses. If you're using your 40D and T3 and don't feel like your AF system is crapping all over your photos, and you're not shooting sports or other high speed action, going with the 5D3 treads more on GAS grounds than anything.

Because really, the major differentiator between the 5D3 and 6D is the autofocus. And the fancy 61 points don't help you take pictures, if they're all activated and just hunt for what's closest. If you end up juggling the joystick all day long to select AF points, you can just focus and recompose to begin with.

On the prices quoted earlier, there's nearly 1500$ between the two, which would be a pretty nice advance on a 24-70mm/2.8L II or whatever else you might want.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Is anyone able to nail down a reason to buy the Canon 35 1.4 over the Sigma 35 1.4? Seems like AF is the same, and the Sigma eeks out over the Canon in IQ and CA while being substantially cheaper.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Pretty sure the Sigma is better on every single front.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dakana posted:

Is anyone able to nail down a reason to buy the Canon 35 1.4 over the Sigma 35 1.4? Seems like AF is the same, and the Sigma eeks out over the Canon in IQ and CA while being substantially cheaper.

Unwavering commitment to OEM lenses and/or CPS membership?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

dakana posted:

Aside from price, I think it's a personal preference on how you you like the aesthetic of your photos. Yes, the Sigma is sharper, but for me I like the look of the photos of Canon's 35. I rented and used both and decided on Canon.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

geeves posted:

Aside from price, I think it's a personal preference on how you you like the aesthetic of your photos. Yes, the Sigma is sharper, but for me I like the look of the photos of Canon's 35. I rented and used both and decided on Canon.

What's the difference?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dakana posted:

What's the difference?

It's sorta like buying a leica over a voigtlander, even if the voigtlander performs better in every way while being cheaper.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can't let other photographers know how much money you threw away on your kit unless you have that red ring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't any experienced photographer know anyways? The vanilla paint and red ring really only call out to the initiates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any are certain Canon lenses white, anyway?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Combat Pretzel posted:

For :science:

But also brand recognition.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ostensibly to not absorb heat that could impair the operation of the lens. These things are used all day in the middle of the Serengeti after all and my all black lenses DO actually get very hot to the touch after a few hours in intense sunlight, especially the hoods although the heat doesn't affect them .

In practice, they're getting "free" marketing when these things show up at sporting events, news broadcasts, etc.

BEATEN.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's to identify 'em as perv lenses. :cheers:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

UK Dorks; there's some Canon lens coupons on Groupon for the next coupla days:

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/premium/photo-direct/27174744

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm on vacation in Europe right now, and only brought one lens with me, my 24-70. Since I got here it had difficulty getting focus confirm when zoomed out past 35mm. I was able to work around it, but now it's suddenly very sticky when moving the focus ring. I have to put in a whole lot of force to get it to move at all. Still focuses and takes pictures, but the more I turn it, the harder it becomes to move.

Any chance at all of being able to "fix" it myself? By fix I mean force it until it either works or breaks more. I have no tools to do actual work.

Alternatively, where can I buy a new lens in Belgium? I'm here until Sunday (in Bruges then a really small town outside Verviers) then going to Munich. I've only been here 4 days, I need a lens!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Red Alert! Stop using and recommending counterfeit batteries!

:frogsiren: IT COULD DESTROY YOUR CAMERA SAYS CLEANCUT NON-THREATENING WHITE GUY :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYnDFclziU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

smallmouth posted:

:frogsiren: IT COULD DESTROY YOUR CAMERA SAYS CLEANCUT NON-THREATENING WHITE GUY :frogsiren:

I'm pretty sure one of the people in that ad was Emmy Rossum - the lead female in Showtimes "Shameless"

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

False. Those are random people from the street carrying Canon™ products powered by Canon™ batteries and power accessories. :colbert:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

smallmouth posted:

But what about 3rd-party batteries that don't try to pass themselves off as counterfeits?!? Will my camera still kill me if I used them?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

But what about 3rd-party batteries that don't try to pass themselves off as counterfeits?!? Will my camera still kill me if I used them?

In the comments:

CanonNorthAmerica posted:

While it should be safe to use high quality double AA batteries in your specific camera, we strongly advise users purchase genuine Canon accessories (such as the ones mentioned in this video) for Canon cameras.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I didn't even know that Canon made AA batteries.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

William T. Hornaday posted:

I didn't even know that Canon made AA batteries.

They last half as long as Duracells and cost $300.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The things they're saying aren't totally wrong, actual counterfeits that get passed off as Canon products are going to be extremely dubious by nature. These kinds of counterfeits cut corners to push manufacturing cost as low as possible, to the point that safety features any "legit" battery contains will be missing.

However, the argument breaks down when you start to look at third party batteries. You know, the ones we all actually use.. not made by Canon, not sold as if they were made by Canon, just a good quality battery made by some other company that doesn't include Canon's dumb markup.

Canon considers these counterfeits as well, even if they're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The only thing I took away from that was the question 'why doesn't Canon add brand protection devices to their products so the end user can tell if they are genuine or not?