Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jefferoo posted:

Which brings me to Khan. Khan is hilarious - superhuman with magical space blood, who always seems to be one step ahead, and if it's not through outsmarting his enemy it's through brute force, because he's just that cool damnit. In this scene on Cronos, where he shows up above everyone, in his dark cloak, dual-weilding two ridiculous weapons, dominating everyone, wiping out the Klingons without breaking a sweat singlehandedly - it's a vulgar display of power. Nothing fazes him, not even a battalion of Klingons. He is a child's self-insert, again such a ridiculous, over the top power fantasy that it's utterly hilarious. It's the truly disgusting practice of white washing him with Cumberbatch and removing any sort of history between Kirk and Khan, which was a large part of why Wrath of Khan worked. The reveal is utterly pathetic, because it has nothing to do with the actual film - and everything to do with the audience. "Hey! Remember this guy! This is how you know he's the real villain! Also we needed... an excuse... to have Old Spock show up, for some reason, I guess..." Khan's inclusion is really the writers not feeling confident in their villain on their own, which they were right to, because he was a rather weak one, and is even worse making him Khan. Mainly because he's a 12 year old's fanfiction Mary Sue, but alas.

That's really what the new Khan looks like? It's just so...well, "white" comes to mind, but the word I'm really going for is overcompensating. The whole point of Khan was that he didn't need to compensate for anything. He had the biggest dick in the room, he knew it, everyone in the room knew it. He didn't need weapons, and when he did they didn't even need to be good weapons. This is actually part of his comeuppance in Space Seed when he thinks he can just smack Kirk around with his fists, then Kirk blindsides him with a giant metal pipe. This image is so...utterly divorced from that notion of Khan's character I'm just increasingly puzzled why they felt the need to make this guy Khan at all. This would be like the new Star Wars movie making Han Solo dress in all leather and constantly talk about how many boobs he touches (there's probably a fanfic where he does this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In retrospective, I agree with e.g. Jefferoo that the movie was both kind of ugly and fairly ... plain and unimaginative.
I hated the story of the first one (TIME TRAVEL), but at least it was very pretty and stuff was going on.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

That's really what the new Khan looks like? It's just so...well, "white" comes to mind, but the word I'm really going for is overcompensating. The whole point of Khan was that he didn't need to compensate for anything. He had the biggest dick in the room, he knew it, everyone in the room knew it. He didn't need weapons, and when he did they didn't even need to be good weapons. This is actually part of his comeuppance in Space Seed when he thinks he can just smack Kirk around with his fists, then Kirk blindsides him with a giant metal pipe. This image is so...utterly divorced from that notion of Khan's character I'm just increasingly puzzled why they felt the need to make this guy Khan at all. This would be like the new Star Wars movie making Han Solo dress in all leather and constantly talk about how many boobs he touches (there's probably a fanfic where he does this).

No, I think "White" is rather appropriate.

http://www.geekosystem.com/star-trek-prank/

:lol:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

You could see Star Trek Into Darkness as a commentary on the Star Trek reboot and how needless and silly it has become in over-caricature-ing the original cast of Star Trek.

Or as I like to call it, a 'bad film.'

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hbomberguy posted:

You could see Star Trek Into Darkness as a commentary on the Star Trek reboot and how needless and silly it has become in over-caricature-ing the original cast of Star Trek.

Or as I like to call it, a 'bad film.'

With the reveal that co-writer Bob Orci had a Twitter full of Truther bullshit that he deleted, I like the take that Star Trek Into Darkness is a muddled, poorly-realized Truther conspiracy movie.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

With the reveal that co-writer Bob Orci had a Twitter full of Truther bullshit that he deleted, I like the take that Star Trek Into Darkness is a muddled, poorly-realized Truther conspiracy movie.

The first paragraph of that article is "unrelated 'plot holes' prove this film lacked a coherent theme," which is ridiculous on its face. For all the problems you may perceive regarding plotting, style, and ripping off/honoring previous Trek films, you can't honestly say this film lacked a coherent theme. It was simple and blatant and oft repeated: Starfleet (read: America) should not be a military organization.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Big discussion over at AVSforum regarding the sound mix for this movie. It seems like the loudness wars for audio CD's are invading movies now. Basically, a $200,000,000.00 budget movie has sound levels driven up so hard that there is hard digital clipping.

This thread here discusses it. Please note this is not a movie review thread, it is a engineering and mixing thread with a focus on bass content: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/10230#post_23733397

The link above compares one of the best mixed soundtracks of 2013 (Oblivion) to possibly the worst (Into Darkness).

This link shows the hard clipping zoomed in: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/10260#post_23737133

Basically, regardless of what volume you listen to the movie at, the loud portions of the movie will be filled with recorded distortion.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I thought it sounded fine through my 5.1 setup. I'll have to listen through my more neutral AKG's that I used to use for my audio courses in college. There's a lot of smug :smug:"If you can't hear it then you probably enjoyed the movie":smug: bullshit in that thread. They've shown enough proof that there seems to be some clipping going on, but I didn't notice if they made it clear that it occurs at frequencies the human ear can actually pick up on.

It certainly isn't the worst sounding blu-ray I own, as many claim in that thread, but that's pretty much subjective.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 17, 2013

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

The noise wars have been a thing in film since around the Transformers movies, or at least that's how they sounded to me.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see how loudness wars make any sense in the cinema or DVD format.

With radio or CDs, you'll be going through a bunch of songs/albums in a row, so if yours stands out, good for you. But here?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

With radio or CDs, you'll be going through a bunch of songs/albums in a row, so if yours stands out, good for you. But here?

Maybe it's an attempt to avoid the film being overshadowed by the noises of the film in the next theater?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe it's an attempt to avoid the film being overshadowed by the noises of the film in the next theater?

Mutually Assured Deafness.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've actually brought ear plugs to some movies before.

But it doesn't make any sense, because the cinema can simply turn up the volume on their end, they don't need a loud DVD.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Cingulate posted:

I agree. It doesn't make any sense for them to be doing it. So they should stop doing it.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Doesn't suprise me. The grading on STID was awful too.

Cingulate posted:

But it doesn't make any sense, because the cinema can simply turn up the volume on their end, they don't need a loud DVD.

I thought the mix was redone for home video? Guess this is what happens when you know you have absolute poo poo on screen.

Trump fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 18, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Trump posted:

Doesn't suprise me. The grading on STID was awful too.

Disagree here, it looked fine. I mean it looked kind of bog standard for a Hollywood blockbuster movie, but it visually looked fine. These last 2 Star Trek movies have been the only ones with significant color work done so it's not like there's a certain "look" that is being violated here. At least the sets and costumes weren't so plainly colored that the blockbuster look made everything look blue like it does in every other movie.

Cingulate posted:

I'd venture a guess that not all theaters are created equal and just like in music they squish the dynamic range and pump the volume in order to make it sound punchy and loud on the lowest common denominator systems. Remember that a huge marketing push was done overseas and if you're going to be showing in places like China, you might want to dumb down the mix a lot. Although I can't recall audible clipping in the theatre version (but I wasn't paying attention either).

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

1st AD posted:

Disagree here, it looked fine. I mean it looked kind of bog standard for a Hollywood blockbuster movie, but it visually looked fine. These last 2 Star Trek movies have been the only ones with significant color work done so it's not like there's a certain "look" that is being violated here. At least the sets and costumes weren't so plainly colored that the blockbuster look made everything look blue like it does in every other movie.

Ok great. But it was still graded with a heavier emphasis on teal and orange compared to Star Trek 2009, which actually had a very vivid color palette.

And I never said anything about a look being violated, I said it was graded heavily, and it looks like poo poo. Even if it was the first movie to ever do this, it would still look like poo poo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I disagree. I don't think it looks like poo poo. Teal/orange works well because it makes the skin pop.

It's an overused look, but the look isn't bad.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

1st AD posted:

Although I can't recall audible clipping in the theatre version (but I wasn't paying attention either).

It sounded fantastic in IMAX. I wonder if most of the clipping coincides with the weapon sound effects, because you'd never loving notice it with how punchy (obviously a technical term :v:) the weapon effects are in these new films.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A bit of clipped peaks doesn't bother me so much, as long as it isn't constant. What sucks is unnatural ducking and other such compression artifacts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Either way, there is no reason for it. I watched Oblivion pretty drat loud. I also watched Star Trek (2009) at -5db from reference the other day, and that one sounded quite good. The ships jumping to warp was awesome. If the loud portions of this new movie are reaching clipping, it means it's going to sound fatiguing on systems with a lot of detail. There is discussion in that thread about how if you don't listen at reference (studio) levels, it may not be as bad or apparent. I don't usually listen that loud. At -5db, 100db peaks and 113db from the sub are perfectly loud for most movies.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just saw this movie the other day. I was kind of hoping Kirk's last words during his "death scene" would have been "Oh my", but then Spock yelled :newlol:KHAAAAAAAN:newlol: and I burst out laughing. That is the appropriate response, right?

Also, I liked the warp effect from '09 better. I take it the stretchy ship/shooting glitter out the nacelles was for 3D wanking?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The Drafthouse here has started running movies just past the point of uncomfortable for volume. It irritates me, I oughta write a letter. :[

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cingulate posted:

I've actually brought ear plugs to some movies before.

Theaters don't use DVDs. Films come shipped on hard drives for digital houses, and still on film for film houses.

And a good projectionist will be mixing for the room, up to and including the amount of people in the theater that are soaking up sound, but good luck finding a good projectionist these days, as most are making minimum wage or are managers who just click "go" or only know how to thread and start.

AlternateAccount posted:

The Drafthouse here has started running movies just past the point of uncomfortable for volume. It irritates me, I oughta write a letter. :[
Complain. They don't know something's wrong until people tell them. You're in the theater and they're not. The good ones don't mind.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Theaters don't use DVDs. Films come shipped on hard drives for digital houses, and still on film for film houses.
Ha you're of course right, what was I thinking.

Though I've seen twice films straight from DVDs, in small arthouse cinemas.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

SouthLAnd posted:

Just saw this movie the other day. I was kind of hoping Kirk's last words during his "death scene" would have been "Oh my", but then Spock yelled :newlol:KHAAAAAAAN:newlol: and I burst out laughing. That is the appropriate response, right?

Yes, yes it was.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I am a life long Trekie, and I have seen this film twice now and it is glorious. I really don't get the hate.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am a life long Trekie, and I have seen this film twice now and it is glorious. I really don't get the hate.

Boring, plot didn't make any sense, violated most of the basic assumptions about Star Trek mechanics. It was OK though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

plot didn't make any sense

You HAVE watched Star Trek before, haven't you?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Objection withdrawn.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

violated most of the basic assumptions about Star Trek mechanics

fake edit: Star Trek is real bad most of the time

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The actual problem is that the plot made TOO MUCH sense in this film, loading the film down with exposition when the previous one had left things to inference and let the nerds complain about "plot holes".

Consider how much time is spent explaining what the gently caress Khan is up to, compared to Nero in the previous film just showing up and bring crazy. Nero is a way better villain.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The actual problem is that the plot made TOO MUCH sense in this film.

This was definitely not the problem, although I agree that the last film also made no sense, but in a much more entertaining and economical way.

Basically, once you introduce the ability to transport halfway across the galaxy, no script can withstand such a ridiculously over-powered plothole.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This was definitely not the problem, although I agree that the last film also made no sense, but in a much more entertaining and economical way.

Basically, once you introduce the ability to transport halfway across the galaxy, no script can withstand such a ridiculously over-powered plothole.

That's not a plot hole. At worst it's a plot contrivance, which is perfectly fine in a science fiction social parable.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 21, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

There are 2 Star Trek episodes about this precise thing, and as always it gets blown up or stops functioning because *reasons*

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Something really irks me about the way STID pays lip service to so many aspects of Star Trek without really doing anything with them. The Prime Directive is referenced and established and then not much is really done with it again and everyone appears to ignore it, Tribbles are there because people know what Tribbles are, that sort of thing. Maybe I'm missing some deep and intricate sociological study where the point is everyone's ignoring the prime directive, but in a movie so on-the-nose with the rest of its plot I'd rather have seen the idea of the Prime Directive go somewhere rather than form the basis for the opening and then never get used again. The idea of not interfering with a planet fated to die is a really really cool thing to think about and I'm no Trekkie, but the episodes of the show that dealt with it are great.

It felt like the writers didn't know how to tie the themes and logic of Star Trek with the Generic Government Conspiracy Mystery Plot they'd already decided on, so they just opened on Kirk and Spock 'doing Star Trek things.'

1st AD posted:

There are 2 Star Trek episodes about this precise thing, and as always it gets blown up or stops functioning because *reasons*

Don't forget Threshold! No wait, forget it as fast as possible.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Breaking the Prime Directive leads to Kirk losing the Enterprise to Pike which leads to Pike attending the captain's meeting where he dies which, because it causes Kirk to feel responsible for the death of his father figure, motivates Kirk to seek revenge against Khan and accept Marcus's clearly immoral mission.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Plot isn't theme. A scene can be part of a chain of literal events, while still feeling disconnected as a topic.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Breaking the Prime Directive leads to Kirk losing the Enterprise to Pike which leads to Pike attending the captain's meeting where he dies which, because it causes Kirk to feel responsible for the death of his father figure, motivates Kirk to seek revenge against Khan and accept Marcus's clearly immoral mission.

Yes, I know that's what happens. But surely, having broken the prime directive and having the prime directive and the reason why it exists established in the story, someone would then maybe learn something from the experience? But the rest of the film is Kirk continuing to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone and take the obviously morally-outrageous mission rather than, say, learning from his mistakes. You know, like Captain Kirk might have done in this show called Star Trek.

Having breaking the prime directive be the reason Kirk loses the Enterprise is yet another Star Trek Thing they had Kirk do without any heed for why it exists or doing it justice in the context of the story. Also, if you violated the Prime Directive (which I would assume is really important - it's literally Order Number One) wouldn't you lose a little more than your ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Plot isn't theme. A scene can be part of a chain of literal events, while still feeling disconnected as a topic.

It motivates the protagonists' involvement in the film's central conflict and provides a counterpoint to the mission to kill/capture Khan. It is what Kirk and crew should be doing instead of working as assassins/invaders. That you feel a disconnect between it and the later action is precisely the point.

Hbomberguy posted:

Yes, I know that's what happens. But surely, having broken the prime directive and having the prime directive and the reason why it exists established in the story, someone would then maybe learn something from the experience? But the rest of the film is Kirk continuing to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone and take the obviously morally-outrageous mission rather than, say, learning from his mistakes. You know, like Captain Kirk might have done in this show called Star Trek.

Kirk learns from his mistakes, though. Not immediately, but people rarely do.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 21, 2013

• Locked thread