Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

petrol blue posted:

I still don't get how on earth the 'crippled tablet' idea didn't get laughed out of the building. I get that they probably saw the Wii's success and were after the next big gimmick, but couldn't they come up with anything better? Jesus, nintendo shares dropped 5% when they announced it, maybe they should have taken a second look at the idea then.

iPads are successful -> Tablets are successful -> Tables will make our console successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Regarding the stubborn focus on the Japanese market, I think that's probably one to chalk up to a kind of typical corporate stubbornness here. Just look at any loving Japanese website, which all look like they were coded in 2002. Things like that are the result of old men higher up who think they know best and tend to stick to the old way of doing things for as long as possible.

Similarly, they didn't think to hire actual English speakers for certain translations back in the 80s and early 90s, instead using Japanese college kids with a basic command of English, which resulted in many terrible translations. Most of Nintendo's recent fuckups are probably a result of exactly this arrogant mentality, bolstered by the success of certain products like the 3DS.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

I mean poo poo, only 7% of Japan's population has bought a PS3 over the last 7 years.

Yeah, and the 3DS has already sold to over 10% of Japan's population in, what is it, three years? I'm on my phone so I'm not checking, but I wouldn't doubt if the 3DS has outperformed the PS3 and the Vita combined. At the very least it has to be close.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Boiled Water posted:

iPads are successful -> Tablets are successful -> Tables will make our console successful.

But the Gamepad is not a tablet.
It's a controller with a touchscreen.
It's a great controller with a lot of potential, but it's not ever going to be anything like a tablet.
Is that what people think about the 2DS as well? "Oh, they're going after that tablet-buying demographic". Maybe that really is the rationale on Nintendo's part, but I certainly wouldn't jump to that conclusion from what I've seen.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Is that what people think about the 2DS as well?

People really are saying this about the 2DS and it makes no sense whatsoever. The best part is people thinking Nintendo was just trying to pull out an iPad console because of the touchscreen when Nintendo has been been talking about touchscreen controllers, along with actually doing touchscreen poo poo, far longer than Apple has.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, I meant like future titles on the PS4. Not GTAV, but the inevitable GTA6? It's a work in progress anyway.

I thought PS4 was supposed to do this out of the box (unless you mean the Vita itself)

I meant the Vita itself. Sure there's a lot of other things it can do, but if you're just talking about adding a portable screen to the console the other stuff's as relevant as an mp3 player on a toaster.

And if we're talking about inspiration for the tablet, whether considered a "good enough" idea or not it's pretty clearly inspired by the GBA-GC link cable rather than tablets. Like the 3DS's relation to the Virtual Boy, Nintendo kinda did a "you know those ideas whose time hadn't come yet? Let's haul them back out and see if we can make them work."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 21, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

But the Gamepad is not a tablet.
It's a controller with a touchscreen.

A huge controller that looks like a mutant iPad.

It's not a good tablet nor is it a good controller, so it's failed at both.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

whaley posted:

The best part is people thinking Nintendo was just trying to pull out an iPad console because of the touchscreen when Nintendo has been been talking about touchscreen controllers, along with actually doing touchscreen poo poo, far longer than Apple has.

Yeah because of all that awesome touchscreen stuff Nintendo included in... uh... nothing ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

It's not a good tablet nor is it a good controller, so it's failed at both.

It's actually a surprisingly good controller. Like I was expecting it to be a horror to hold but it's well-designed and good at what it does. It's just... not a very good idea for a controller.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 21, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually a surprisingly good controller actually. Like I was expecting it to be a horror to hold but it's well-designed and good at what it does. It's just... not a very good idea for a controller.

Yeah. It fits my giant Hulk hands very comfortably.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I suppose remote play on the Game Pad is wonderful if you live inside a tiny home in Japan with only one TV. In the states it is really not that necessary. That said, I still love off screen play and have used it a ton, but would never buy a Vita and spend $600 on hardware just for the feature on the PS4.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the Gamepad is a fundamentally flawed concept; it's got a lot of little benefits that make it convenient and enjoyable to have kicking around. The latest exclusives (Pikmin 3, TW101, WWHD) have all been using it well, just not necessarily in extravagant or marketable ways.

The problem lies more with the compromises that had to be made to get the Gamepad into the box, such as eating a chunk of the budget that could have gone towards graphical horsepower.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Astro7x posted:

I suppose remote play on the Game Pad is wonderful if you live inside a tiny home in Japan with only one TV. In the states it is really not that necessary. That said, I still love off screen play and have used it a ton, but would never buy a Vita and spend $600 on hardware just for the feature on the PS4.

Rumour is there's going to be a PS4 + Vita bundle for the same price as the Xbone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Dang, they might sell whole tens of Vitas that way.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

kater posted:

Yeah because of all that awesome touchscreen stuff Nintendo included in... uh... nothing ever.

That's all well and good but it doesn't explain people thinking Nintendo is trying to make an iPad by making a television version of their handheld that came out three years before the iPhone, or five years before the iPad.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

whaley posted:

That's all well and good but it doesn't explain people thinking Nintendo is trying to make an iPad by making a television version of their handheld that came out three years before the iPhone, or five years before the iPad.

Because people will assume the most popular thing came first. Just like how people assume Voltron came before Power Rangers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

Because people will assume the most popular thing came first. Just like how people assume Voltron came before Power Rangers.

Voltron came out in 1984 in the US being adapated out of two different series from 1981 and 1982, Power Rangers didn't show up til 1993 (and was an adaptation of the 1992 Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger).

Does time run backwards in your world? Because it's pretty legit to think the show that was on 9 years earlier did in fact come before the show that came 9 years later.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

Voltron came out in 1984 in the US being adapated out of two different series from 1981 and 1982, Power Rangers didn't show up til 1993 (and was an adaptation of the 1992 Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger).

Does time run backwards in your world? Because it's pretty legit to think the show that was on 9 years earlier did in fact come before the show that came 9 years later.

Sentai predates Voltron, also Bandai owns both. :colbert:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Honestly I would accuse the 2ds of being a Speak and Spell ripoff way before ipad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Voltron is an adaptation of GoLion, which isn't remotely the first show with combining toy robots, which I think is the point he was trying to make. It didn't really invent the idea.

(It's also pretty off-topic for this thread.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 21, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kater posted:

There's quite a fun great touchscreen centric games for the DS like Kirby Canvas Curse.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah, I take that back. I remember Meteos feeling revolutionary at the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trauma Center justifies the touch screen to me on its own, although the Wii version is good too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Are people actually saying that the touchscreen on the DS was a dumb gimmick in 2013?

Seriously, there were plenty of games that used it fantastically, and barring some rough times at the start, even games that didn't use the touchscreen had some convenient use for the second screen, even if it was just throwing menus and maps there so you don't need to toggle them.

Off the top of my head, you've got:

Kirby: Canvas Curse
Trauma Center
The World Ends with You
Knights in the Knightmare
Elite Beat Agents
Ghost Trick
999 (The touchscreen isn't huge, but having two screens is)

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 21, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Developers were completely dumbfounded by the DS's touchscreen at the time and basically defaulted it to a map screen. I get the same impression they're doing the same with the Wii U's screen but they have to compete with the TV as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Developers were completely dumbfounded by the DS's touchscreen at the time and basically defaulted it to a map screen. I get the same impression they're doing the same with the Wii U's screen but they have to compete with the TV as well.

Looking at the DS and the Wii, it feels like Nintendo tries to lead the way, use their own games to show other developers what they can do with the system. Mario 64 DS didn't have much aside from the attempt at a thumbstick, but Wario Ware Touched and Kirby Canvas Curse were out within the first 6 months and used the touchscreen well. The Wii launched with Wii Sports and Elebits/Wario Ware followed close behind.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Elebits was third party.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Elebits was third party.

Ah, so it was.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cake Attack posted:

Are people actually saying that the touchscreen on the DS was a dumb gimmick in 2013?

Does this surprise you given the title of the thread?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
Nintendo should make a console that is a mix of VR goggles and motion technology. That way you can see where your hands are in VR. People have already done this with the rift, so the RnD shouldn't be very high.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Seriously, there were plenty of games that used it fantastically, and barring some rough times at the start, even games that didn't use the touchscreen had some convenient use for the second screen, even if it was just throwing menus and maps there so you don't need to toggle them.

Off the top of my head, you've got:

Kirby: Canvas Curse
Trauma Center
The World Ends with You
Knights in the Knightmare
Elite Beat Agents
Ghost Trick
999 (The touchscreen isn't huge, but having two screens is)

I hate the touch screen. Absolutely hate it.

I used to play a ton of infinite space on the DS and the fact I had to have the stupid stylus in my hand all the time almost broke the game for me.

The only time I actually enjoyed the touch screen was map making for Etrian Odyssey 4.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

illiniguy01 posted:

Nintendo should make a console that is a mix of VR goggles and motion technology. That way you can see where your hands are in VR. People have already done this with the rift, so the RnD shouldn't be very high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61G07Z8aqlw

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Barudak posted:

Having talked to a company which handles train wraps in the Chicago area that was a actually a pretty sizeable investment. I have no idea why thats where their budget went but here we are.

I have a few more pages to catch up but this post caught my eye.
As someone who commutes a ton in Chicago I can say the following about this:

EDIT: Its on the brown line so it was smarter than green. Still not totally high traffic but in the right market area.

Doing one Green Line Train is probably one of the worst lines to use and a waste of money. The biggest commute train to use would be Red. The only problem is the red line smells like piss and hobos. However ,it is a 24/7 running line that gets a poo poo ton of traffic. As it travels up and down all of Chicago and the loop.

Even the brown line / purple would have been better. I don't think I've ever taken the green line and I'm trying to think of a reason I'd need to use it over the others. Brown line and red both travel to uptown areas where yuppies and hipsters more likely to buy the game live. Purple line is pretty much the baseball / sports fans line.

In fact I found a tourist guide and the green line only gets you one place the others don't.
http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/brochures/13JN_017-DTSSG.pdf

I can get they wanted to do green with Luigi, but seriously. One line on one of the more eh trains that a lot of the others can get you to places on faster?

EDIT:

Astro7x posted:

Now I'm curious to know how much that costs and if it's comparable to what a TV spot would be. Stuff like these fancy wrappers around Super Mario Galaxy footage all cost money. Nintendo goes through ad agencies like Leo Burnett to come up with the concept and then a video post-house to produce it. And that's simply to put up some videos on their YouTube channel. And everybody in the chain needs to be paid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-71-rxxo0w

Holy poo poo they paid for that?

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 21, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Luigi train was on the Brown Line.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Supercar Gautier posted:

Article I found said green line. I found another saying brown. So I stand corrected.

AT least they picked a semi decent one that runs along side the red occasionally. I'm sad I haven't seen it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Supercar Gautier posted:

How appropriate. :haw:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

How appropriate. :haw:

Oh boo! I like Luigi and I would love to see that train. I travel up and down the red / brown line I live near one of its main stops. Yet still in several months I haven't once seen it! I would totally get on it too instead of the red.

EDIT:

Install Windows posted:

Remember the old Wii commercials?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bygdnz2gZIQ
They were actually really good and showed off what the system was about well. Wii U needs something like this.

I still do. And I thought, "Wow these are good!" It was exciting, fresh, and showed off that you were actually playing the game with your hands. Whether it really worked that well or not...

What are they gonna do with the Wii U? Show someone sitting there with a tablet looking at it while the game plays on the big screen?

People will think its an ipad.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 21, 2013

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Oh boo! I like Luigi and I would love to see that train. I travel up and down the red / brown line I live near one of its main stops. Yet still in several months I haven't once seen it! I would totally get on it too instead of the red.

EDIT:

I still do. And I thought, "Wow these are good!" It was exciting, fresh, and showed off that you were actually playing the game with your hands. Whether it really worked that well or not...

What are they gonna do with the Wii U? Show someone sitting there with a tablet looking at it while the game plays on the big screen?

People will think its an ipad.

They just need to have an ad where a kid is playing the game and his mom/sister/whoever comes in and says, "Hey, turn that off! It's time for the big sports game thing!". Then, the kid would say, "That's okay, I can just switch to the gamepad and keep playing while you watch TV. Everyone wins!"

It's either that or a college kid taking the gamepad to the toilet. Seriously, that's the system-seller right there. Toilet Mario.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RStar posted:

I hate the touch screen. Absolutely hate it.

I used to play a ton of infinite space on the DS and the fact I had to have the stupid stylus in my hand all the time almost broke the game for me.

The only time I actually enjoyed the touch screen was map making for Etrian Odyssey 4.

The Etrian Odyssey games may have "just" used the touchscreen as a map, but they did it in a way where the touch sensing was absolutely necessary. Very novel and much, much better than games that used it as an analog stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Al Borland posted:

Holy poo poo they paid for that?

They staggered videos every other day with new gameplay footage, including some reveals of new levels and gameplay mechanics. At the time it was the highest rated videos on the Nintendo YouTube channel

• Locked thread