Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

So I've started reading part 3 a little while after finishing the fantastic anime, and I'm enjoying it well enough. I've gotten to the point where the group is now in Egypt and I really have to ask, why is Jotaro seen as so great? I can't even call him the main character of his own part since he's not the one pushing the plot forward (that'd be Joseph) doesn't hog all the fights (which isn't a bad thing) and barely speaks (that's mostly Polnareff's job). Overall it's probably better than part 2 on a technical standpoint, but I really loved Joseph, Caesar, and Lisa Lisa, and I'm not really sure I can ever like anyone more than them.

Since my friend got me to read this, he's been pushing for me to skip part 5 once I get to it. Is this a good idea? Parts 1-3 don't seem connected to the point that you have to read them in order, so I could always just read part 5 later. I've seen some great things from the next few parts, and just want to get to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

I like Part 5 quite a bit so I don't think you need to skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

So I've started reading part 3 a little while after finishing the fantastic anime, and I'm enjoying it well enough. I've gotten to the point where the group is now in Egypt and I really have to ask, why is Jotaro seen as so great? I can't even call him the main character of his own part since he's not the one pushing the plot forward (that'd be Joseph) doesn't hog all the fights (which isn't a bad thing) and barely speaks (that's mostly Polnareff's job). Overall it's probably better than part 2 on a technical standpoint, but I really loved Joseph, Caesar, and Lisa Lisa, and I'm not really sure I can ever like anyone more than them.

Since my friend got me to read this, he's been pushing for me to skip part 5 once I get to it. Is this a good idea? Parts 1-3 don't seem connected to the point that you have to read them in order, so I could always just read part 5 later. I've seen some great things from the next few parts, and just want to get to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Jotaro becomes really great. Read every part in order.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Momomo posted:

First, Jotaro still has a lot of room to show off, not only in the rest of part 3 but also part 4 and a little bit of 6.

Secondly, you probably shouldn't skip Part 5. Just know that most of the translation is seriously balls. It's less obvious than Part 4's old translation but it's still an issue.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^^ I read it recently, the translation was fine. The scans and typesetting were what was terrible. Maybe some questionable grammar in spots though.

He's just a really calm and collected Jojo, that's all really. He has some really sick :iceburn:s too.

You could read Part 7 at anytime you want after Part 3 really, it's pretty disconnected from the rest of the parts. You might miss some references but that's about it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 21, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mr. Maltose posted:

First, Jotaro still has a lot of room to show off, not only in the rest of part 3 but also part 4 and a little bit of 6.

Secondly, you probably shouldn't skip Part 5. Just know that most of the translation is seriously balls. It's less obvious than Part 4's old translation but it's still an issue.

"What a beautiful Duwang" is what got me to start reading the manga, so I'm prepared for that.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

RatHat posted:

^^^^ I read it recently, the translation was fine. The scans and typesetting were what was terrible. Maybe some questionable grammar in spots though.

He's just a really calm and collected Jojo, that's all really. He has some really sick :iceburn:s too.

You could read Part 7 at anytime you want after Part 3 really, it's pretty disconnected from the rest of the parts. You might miss some references but that's about it.

Uh, no. The translation for part 5 is legitimately balls, after the first couple of volumes it takes a massive nosedive. Let's not forget that this is the translation that has about 4 different explanations for King Crimson's abilities.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think that was the translation, I think even Araki got confused how King Crimson worked.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RatHat posted:

Jotaro is the kind of guy who tries way too hard with his :iceburn:s so instead of sounding badass he just sounds incredibly goony. I like to imagine he delivers his quips in some heavily-affected Christian Bale Batman growl too.

That's who Jotaro is, he's a goon who can also break every bone in your body like a twig. And that's what makes him so awesome.

Edit: If I remember correctly Part Four Jotaro has a line like "Nice watch. Too bad I'm going to have to break it. Your face, that is." to Kira (in Duwang it's "You have a nice watch, but you will never see it again, because I will destroy it in a second, and your face", which is almost an improvement in that delightful Duwang way). If that isn't the lamest quip you've ever heard then I don't know what to say.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 21, 2013

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jotaro is far less of a goon in later parts, though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, in part 3 he's still a High School punk and tries hard to be so badass because he's a teenager. The later parts show him after he's firmly into adulthood/middle age.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Pocoloco's horse's name was also Hey Ya!, so I wonder if the horse is supposed to be some kind of extension of the stand or vice versa, or if it's just Araki forgetting that he already used the name. Or maybe Pocoloco's just supposed to be terribly uncreative.

Pocoloco already breaks a rule, because as far as I can tell he shouldn't even have a Stand. I'm assuming the President's men passed through a Devil's Palm prior to the race, but Pocoloco had his Stand before he left Georgia. :qqsay: What about my suspension of disbelief, Araki-sempai?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pocoloco's so lucky he lucked into manifesting a stand out of nowhere. Perfectly logical.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
IMO Jotaro is a really boring main character in part 3, but once he's relegated to a supporting role he becomes infinitely more amusing. The "Too bad I'm going to have to break it, your face that is" bit is some top-loving-tier writing.

RatHat posted:

I don't think that was the translation, I think even Araki got confused how King Crimson worked.

Honestly King Crimson isn't a hard stand to understand at all, but the piss-awful translation of part 5 makes it a lot more complicated than it is.

That's really the main issue with the translation, it reads in mostly legible English, but the translations are muddy enough at points that it obfuscates the hell out of a lot of stuff that's actually pretty simple. It's worse than Duwang but in a much stealthier way.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jotaro's really dull and anything cool you can say about his character you can probably find easier in another Jojo.

Like say, 'dorky high school punk' likablity? I'd apply that to Josuke waaaay sooner than Jotaro because Josuke actually interacts with his cast and setting more than 'welp, time to fight the bad guys and say the corny lines'.

He's a little better post-Part 3 but even then I mostly only cared about him because of the relationships he had to the characters I liked more.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

IMO Jotaro is a really boring main character in part 3, but once he's relegated to a supporting role he becomes infinitely more amusing. The "Too bad I'm going to have to break it, your face that is" bit is some top-loving-tier writing.

I'm not denying that it's brilliant. It's such a lame quip that it wraps all the way around to being genius.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Josuke actually acts like a teenager unlike the other Jojos(except maybe Joseph).

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Josuke is a really boring character, too, though. I don't think he quite holds up and Part 4's ensemble feels a lot weaker and lacks the overall direction Jotaro and co. had.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

That's really the main issue with the translation, it reads in mostly legible English, but the translations are muddy enough at points that it obfuscates the hell out of a lot of stuff that's actually pretty simple. It's worse than Duwang but in a much stealthier way.

Pretty much. Like while it's not as glaringly bad as Duwang was on Diamond, it's still very bad and people who've read the official releases of it have said the current "translation" is all kinds of screwed up in a lot of places, not that you'd even need their word to come to that conclusion. What makes it all the worse, the group that was doing the (Really good) rework on it ran into a few problems last time I looked.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Josuke actually acts like a teenager unlike the other Jojos(except maybe Joseph).

Joseph does not act like a teenager, he acts like a loving goof, which is not bad because it's part of why he's great.

Also I think the most glaring thing I remember about how bad the Part 5 translation was, was like at the end of the fight with Clash and Talking Heads, Narancia is yelling at Squalo while raining down bullets upon him and the speech bubble is huger than it seems like it needs to be. So I get a hold of some Part 5 scans in Japanese and all I see is repeating symbols and at that point I'm like "Wait, is this his battle cry?" and they translated "Volavolavola" and "Volare Via" to "Now you die" and "Get out of my throat!" It was really bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like all of the JoJos for different reasons. Jonathan because he's just a dude trying to be a gentleman, Joseph because he's a jerkass trickster, Jotaro because he just seems so damned apathetic and "too cool for school" in a dorky way but can actually back himself up with raw strength, Josuke because he's super dorky about poo poo and chill and just wants money, Giorno because of that one time he decided the best way to fight a guy whose power was to turn water into ice was to drive into a river, Jolyne because she's a damned strong lady who doesn't take poo poo from people and it's nice to see how Jotaro's "I am a badass, I don't give a poo poo" attitude could actually be a bad thing, Johnny because he had a nice character development arc, and Gappy because of how loving quirky he is.

Aurora posted:

Josuke is a really boring character, too

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh man. Josuke from when all the JoJos had to have the same body type. So not great. And what's up with that hair?

I like Jotaro's personality as it is, almost entirely because of yare yare daze and his poker face against D'arby. Best non-fight in the series. If I could change anyone it'd be Giorno, and really it'd just be a small tweak to his ego to be more like Dio. Gio's strength as a character should be the combination of Jonathan's virtue and Dio's ambition, which I do think comes through a little bit before he joins Passione and it becomes an ensemble story. IDK, Vento Aureo kinda runs together for me anyway because of the translation. It was hard to get a feel for certain dudes' personalities.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Yardbomb posted:

people who've read the official releases of it have said the current "translation" is all kinds of screwed up in a lot of places

I've actually heard something similar about SC where people who've read other translations say the scans we currently have are supposed to make Jotaro come off a lot flatter than he actually is. I've never those, though, so I can't speak to if that's true.

Aurora posted:

Josuke is a really boring character, too, though.

If you can read him and Okuyasu finally catching up to Fatty or him using his super power to cheat the lottery and still say that, I don't have anything for you.

Josuke's always been my favorite, I guess, sort of, I'm not good at really picking favorites, because he feels the most like a kid with super powers. Yeah, he saves the day sometimes, but he also uses it for goofy poo poo like trying getting rich quick or healing a dude so he can kick his rear end without guilt. It's like Kappei taking Zambot 3 to go pick up chicks. The other JoJo's are fine, but they always feel like mythical heroes of legend with dangerous quests. I like Josuke because he feels more like just some dude, and that's way better to me.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 21, 2013

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Josuke just feels like a typical high school manga protagonist which isn't really what I'm looking for out of JoJo's. v:shobon:v

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Johnny is totally the best Jojo. He's sooooo great. I bet he's super-popular in Europe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh man. Josuke from when all the JoJos had to have the same body type. So not great. And what's up with that hair?

I like Jotaro's personality as it is, almost entirely because of yare yare daze and his poker face against D'arby. Best non-fight in the series. If I could change anyone it'd be Giorno, and really it'd just be a small tweak to his ego to be more like Dio. Gio's strength as a character should be the combination of Jonathan's virtue and Dio's ambition, which I do think comes through a little bit before he joins Passione and it becomes an ensemble story. IDK, Vento Aureo kinda runs together for me anyway because of the translation. It was hard to get a feel for certain dudes' personalities.

Apparently Giorno does have a bit of an ego. Remember Dio's "Kono Dio" which if you know this series at all means "I Dio" it's apparently an arrogant way for someone to refer to themselves. Giorono apparently has a habit of saying "Kono Giorno" quite a bit. Donatello Versus from part 6 has the same way of talking.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

RatHat posted:

Best explanation:

Maybe that's why its face looks like that...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Perigryn posted:

Best explanation:

Maybe that's why its face looks like that...

King Crimson always looks so delightfully pissed off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I always thought it was a bit of a reference to the cover art for Court of the Crimson King, but that might be a bit of a stretch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LvK posted:

Did Oyecomova's stand get a name?

I have to know because that was a kickin' rad stand.

According to the book the stand's name is "Oye Como Va" :v: Or at least that's what the wiki says.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 21, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mr. Maltose posted:

I always thought it was a bit of a reference to the cover art for Court of the Crimson King, but that might be a bit of a stretch.
Probably is. I'd love to read an interview were Araki explains how he came up with some of the Stand designs.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much. Like while it's not as glaringly bad as Duwang was on Diamond, it's still very bad and people who've read the official releases of it have said the current "translation" is all kinds of screwed up in a lot of places, not that you'd even need their word to come to that conclusion. What makes it all the worse, the group that was doing the (Really good) rework on it ran into a few problems last time I looked.

Hey now, DUWANG may be a translation by a dude who didn't really have a grasp on the english language but at least you can figure out the story pretty accurately from that. The people who translated part 5 just flat-out made poo poo up on several occasions.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Perigryn posted:

Probably is. I'd love to read an interview were Araki explains how he came up with some of the Stand designs.

Doesn't he talk about that in JOJO-A-GO-GO? Has that ever been translated?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Now I'm wondering -- Is White Album one of those stands that non-stand-users can see? Or do normal people just see some angry dude with softserve-looking hair skating around in the street.

There's probably not an answer for that but I just like to imagine a bespectacled dork in a nehru jacket sliding around in a sudden blizzard.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Since the White Album battle suit was explicitly made out of ice (since there was that whole thing about figuring out how he can survive being inside it during the fight) , I'd say it's visible to people.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Trailer 8 is up with Lisa Lisa and Old Joseph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_40rTzEu_g

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Sugita's old Joseph. The only thing I would change is putting a bit more energy into that OH MY GOD. He just seems more subdued all around.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! Who's gonna be the VA for Vanilla Ice?

Also, Oldseph sounds way too... unlike how I imagined him? I do hope he's still a blast to play.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I'm getting on a plane in a few hours, but I banged out Jojolion #24 because who needs to pack anyway haha my priorities are a mess

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo! Who's gonna be the VA for Vanilla Ice?

Sources I've heard say Tomokazu Seki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

LordMune posted:

I'm getting on a plane in a few hours, but I banged out Jojolion #24 because who needs to pack anyway haha my priorities are a mess

Mune you're the best :allears:
Anyway, about the new chapter, Love Struck huh? I guess that undoes the whole alternate Gironio theory.

• Locked thread