Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Hey, just looking for some resume review help! It's just a page long as I'm just now graduating from college. I would really appreciate any input. If you'd like to read it over just send me an email at applepielon@gmail.com (throwaway account, not the one I use for interviews, I promise!).

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'm completely revamping my resume because employers are avoiding me like the plague. Is it necessary to spell out Bachelor of Arts or is BA sufficient without looking lazy?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Just The Facts posted:

I'm completely revamping my resume because employers are avoiding me like the plague. Is it necessary to spell out Bachelor of Arts or is BA sufficient without looking lazy?

Nobody cares.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

So it dawned on me today that I had taken many training courses during my last scientist job at a university. Things like a week long Flow Cytometry course. A 6 hour Scanning Electron Microscopy course. A 2-part embedding and tissue sectioning course.

Are courses such as these things that I should list on my resume (when applying for a position where that would be pertinent information)? I haven't been including it...because I just remembered today. However, I feel like I should.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Is there a good way to list temp jobs on a resume? I work in a theme park where seasonal promotions are the norm, so while being a supervisor for two months looks normal here, I worry about how to phrase my experience if I want to show my resume elsewhere in the future. I don't want it to look like I got demoted, but the seasonal positions are also important experience.

eta: I have my experience arranged by company, with a bullet list of the different jobs under each company. Will it be fine just to clarify that I was promoted for a seasonal thing in the description of the responsibilities?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Below is a basic critique for someone from the thread who recently emailed me asking for one. Good luck.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Is it too super duper forward and anxious to send a thank you letter for a 5 minute interview for an internship position?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

SectumSempra posted:

Is it too super duper forward and anxious to send a thank you letter for a 5 minute interview for an internship position?

Nope, just say something useful in it. (Mention something they said, or something you're particularly excited about, etc.) Don't send a proforma bullshit one.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Zaftig posted:

Is there a good way to list temp jobs on a resume? I work in a theme park where seasonal promotions are the norm, so while being a supervisor for two months looks normal here, I worry about how to phrase my experience if I want to show my resume elsewhere in the future. I don't want it to look like I got demoted, but the seasonal positions are also important experience.

eta: I have my experience arranged by company, with a bullet list of the different jobs under each company. Will it be fine just to clarify that I was promoted for a seasonal thing in the description of the responsibilities?
I'd list it like this:

Happy Fun Time Adventure Land
- Balloon Wrangler (August 2013-present)
  - 1 of X balloon wranglers selected to stay for off-peak season
- Balloon Wranglin' Supervisor (June 2013-August 2013)
  - Wrangled 11 other wranglers to provide wranglin' coverage for summer peak season
- Balloon Wrangler (January 2013-June 2013)
  - Wrangled more balloons than any other wrangler
- Apprentice Balloon Wrangler (2012)
  - etc.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

DustingDuvet posted:

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps!

Thanks, this is great. I do have a few questions on it though.

Regarding comment #10, My official job title is "mechanic", though I also perform almost all of the general maintenance and am the only IT guy in the building. Should I just leave it at "mechanic", even though I mostly list my IT work in the experience section? I guess this also applies to comments #14 and #16. They also list the department I worked in and/or what my title was during that work, and both of those companies are extremely recognizable once you know their names.

For comment #12, the business is a bowling alley, and the name of the business would make that very clear once added back in. Should I still be reinforcing that in the accomplishments, or is it fine when left in the title of the business?

As for the rest, I'll work on what you've suggested.

Quoting this from a couple pages back, since it hasn't been answered yet. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on my resume between then and now. I've been working 12 hour days due to our season starting, and only now have I caught up to everything between work and home, so I intend to restart work on my resume. If DustingDuvet doesn't answer my questions, I'd appreciate it if someone else could, please and thanks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I signed up for Resume2Interviews a month ago and I have been stunned looking at the skills area because I don't really know what I know.

I made a spreadsheet that shows my course history here.

My job history is

EDI analyst - 1.5 years
pharmacy tech - 1.5 years
waiter - .5 years
assistant english teacher (japan) - .5 years

Everything before that is school. I'm currently in a masters program for management of information systems. I am interested in jobs in the EDI field as that's the most directly marketable skill I have. If anyone could help me out with figuring out what anyone would give a poo poo about please help me I am basically hopeless in a job that will not let me advance anymore

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Linkedin question, but maybe it applies to resumes too:

Background story: I worked for 2.5 years in a very specific industry (at two companies) after I graduated from undergrad; this field was not related to my degree and I had no interest in staying there long term. A year and some change ago I left that field, started grad school (in a different career path) this January and since April I've had two different internships, one of which will last until next April. This week I'll be starting a graduate assistantship through my university and am scheduled to be there until next May.

Is it ever advisable to abbreviate time spent in a certain industry on a Linkedin profile and/or resume? I was thinking of trying to cut down on the details of my first 2.5 years of employment following undergrad by combining those two jobs into one entry, to place more emphasis on my accomplishments before and after I worked in that field. I'm fuzzy on whether this would be appropriate to do in my situation.

Just to clarify: there is very little in common between the industry I was in for that 2.5 years, and the one I am in now.

bytebark fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 16, 2013

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

bytebark posted:

Is it ever advisable to abbreviate time spent in a certain industry on a Linkedin profile and/or resume?

Sure, do whatever you want. There's no resume police that are going to demand you exhaustively list everything. Same with LinkedIn, although sometimes it is desirable to be more detailed on LI just so that people can get a fuller picture of the different industries you've been in (which can help if you're applying to work at a good company - good hiring managers value diversity of experience.)

You can present yourself in both of those places however you feel will make you the most marketable. If are you truly changing to a completely unrelated industry and can't think of any even tangential relation in the industries, sure, consolidate away.

signalnoise posted:

Everything before that is school. I'm currently in a masters program for management of information systems. I am interested in jobs in the EDI field as that's the most directly marketable skill I have. If anyone could help me out with figuring out what anyone would give a poo poo about please help me I am basically hopeless in a job that will not let me advance anymore
I just wouldn't list the other stuff then. List your current experience as an EDI analyst and your education, and go heavy on accomplishments/professional societies/other stuff you do to illustrate your interest in the field. I assume EDI has a trade organization or... something. Join some LinkedIn groups, market yourself that way; that kind of thing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
If none of the work I've done since graduating is actually relevant to the industry I want to work in, what is the best way to handle that? Abbreviate, shorten, something like "Employed, work not relevant", or should I just leave my employment history off completely? Just for reference, I graduated 5 years ago; I don't want to look like I've been slumming it in my parents' basement for 5 years (I have been working), just not anywhere near the field I want to get into.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If it's really meaningless like retail (and if you had several different ones), you could just write retail, various.

If it's not quite as meaningless but just not related to your field then I'd say include it with a brief one or two line description, or more if you're lacking things to put on your resume, focusing on things that are more generalized (e.g. project planning, organization, people skills).

For example, I applied for engineering but taught English in Japan for 4 years. My description was brief but I made sure to point out that I planned, created, and often delivered lessons (technically not but realistically) by myself. I also pointed out that I worked with kids from 1st-9th grades and used it to show that I'm flexible, have people skills, etc. Nothing like dealing with young kids and hormonal teenagers to really try your ability to deal with other human beings.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The OP posted:

Federal Government -- your resume should be a behemoth that is exhaustive about everything you've done and frankly it bores me just reading about it -- check the federal government thread linked above.

I have an interview with the state, not the federal government, does this apply for that as well? I've got a nicely tailored one page resume I am hoping will do. I realize it probably varies from state to state but, does anyone have some words of wisdom for resumes and civil service interviews?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm dual national (Dad=American/Mom=Spanish). On my resume how would I list the benefit of that?

"Dual Nationality with America and Spain, native speaker of English and Spanish" ?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Unless you're applying for a job where Spain is relevant, just say you're a native speaker of Spanish.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

leftover posted:

I'm dual national (Dad=American/Mom=Spanish). On my resume how would I list the benefit of that?

"Dual Nationality with America and Spain, native speaker of English and Spanish" ?

Besides usually when applying to jobs their is a separate section where they ask if you legally have the right to work in that country.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I just leave it at Native English/Spanish speaker and if they ask for more details explain later if asked.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Hey folks, I could really use someone giving a hard look at my resume.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thkgch3c53qzcy4/Leth%27s%20Resume%20Sep%202013.rtf

I'm in college right now and desperately need a job so I can leave home. I'm applying for serving jobs mostly, as I hate sitting down and to be constantly moving. I have a lot of experience acting as a caregiver for my little brother and most people I meet seem to like me, though I'm not sure how to spin that into something official sounding. I'm thinking perhaps I should flesh out exactly what I did in my past jobs a bit more, though I think the lists are decent positive summaries.

Though looking at what I list for qualifications, it does make me sound very rough. Military program, computers, construction, and forklifts. Not a lot of delicacy there, especially for someone who's expected to be nice. Not sure what to do about that, if anything.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 19, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Two quick things I've noticed that other resume helpers have told me about :

1. List your previous employment starting with the most recent and going in reverse chronological order. Your bullet points under each could be way more descriptive as well, if possible try to have more than 1 line of text per bullet but not more than 2. From the professional career consultant I spoke with-

quote:

Within one or two sentences these accomplishments should show what you have done by using words like “developed”, “invented”, “synthesized”, “produced”, etc. Do not use words that convey activity such as “worked”, “studied”, “supervised”, “managed”, "investigated", etc. Your prospective employer is interested in what you can do for his/her company. You show this by showing what you accomplished in your prior position(s). Do not indicate that you kept busy. That is implied by your accomplishments. If possible you should provide both an application and some quantitative measure of the value for each accomplishment. The latter can take the form of a dollar value for annual sales if a commercial product was involved; time saved in conducting an analysis; improvement in the number of samples that can be analyzed in a given time period; etc. A reasonable guesstimate is all that is needed. Exact figures are not required, but do not over-exaggerate.

An exercise I recommend is to take a tablet and list all your accomplishments from the current or previous job. Then in a second column adjacent to the first put the value of each of these. Afterwards put a star by the two or three which you feel are the most significant accomplishments, and use these on your resume. Then flip the page and do the same for the previous job, etc.

Do not include more than two or three accomplishments for each position. Too many clogs the resume, and other accomplishments provide items for discussion during an interview.

[Chemistry-specific stuff that doesn't really apply here]

It is the accomplishments and realization of the need for accomplishments that the hiring agent is seeking. Anyone can show activity without ever accomplishing anything.

That quantification is the most important part- what did you accomplish with bullet point A? Can you attach any sort of number to it like money saved on a project or a % increase in sales or productivity?

2. I've recently heard from multiple sources that you should never underline anything in a resume. I've not gotten any reasoning from them besides "if a computer is scanning your resume them those lines gently caress it up" but it's worth considering.

As for my fellow job-seekers, how long did it take you before all the resume and interview advice given to you blurred together? I've been out of grad school for three months (and looking for work for almost seven months) and I've been given dozens of guides, websites and fliers that all give me the same canned tips about networking, being positive, and whatever. Am I just too stupid to actually use this advice or do the rest of you feel like you're being led in circles with all this job-hunting guidance?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got a section on my employment history that I'm really not to happy with. Basically, the oldest job on my resume, I worked for 2 years and did a lot of good stuff, then after that I worked at a few different retail places over the course of a year, with one job highlighted as it's the "significant" job during that time, then my current job as my latest one. The problem is that while I worked that 2nd job, I did nothing worthwhile, and it's been very hard for me to quantify anything worth putting on my resume for it.

So, my question is, could I do something like the following:

[JOB 1]
YEAR-1 - PRESENT
[ACCOMPLISHMENTS]

Retail - Various
YEAR-2 - YEAR-1

[JOB 3]
YEAR-4 - YEAR-2
[ACCOMPLISHMENTS]

and get away with it? Or would that not be advised?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got a section on my employment history that I'm really not to happy with. Basically, the oldest job on my resume, I worked for 2 years and did a lot of good stuff, then after that I worked at a few different retail places over the course of a year, with one job highlighted as it's the "significant" job during that time, then my current job as my latest one. The problem is that while I worked that 2nd job, I did nothing worthwhile, and it's been very hard for me to quantify anything worth putting on my resume for it.

So, my question is, could I do something like the following:

[JOB 1]
YEAR-1 - PRESENT
[ACCOMPLISHMENTS]

Retail - Various
YEAR-2 - YEAR-1

[JOB 3]
YEAR-4 - YEAR-2
[ACCOMPLISHMENTS]

and get away with it? Or would that not be advised?
IMO you can't think of your retail experience adding any value to your applications, leave it off and use the space to beef up your two significant jobs. A resume is a marketing document, not an exhaustive account of every bit of your time. Yes, you will have a time gap, but that is incredibly common these days and you can just tell them you were temporarily working in retail jobs while [fill in the blank]

You didn't give much info as to why you went from Job3 to retail (moved, fired, laid off, quit, etc.) so without that it's hard to go into more specifics.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

seacat posted:

You didn't give much info as to why you went from Job3 to retail (moved, fired, laid off, quit, etc.) so without that it's hard to go into more specifics.

Thanks for the input. Job3 was a retail job as well, but it was with a company that allowed me to apply myself, innovate the way I do my work, and really make it my own. I left because the hours began to get terrible, and I was sick of working twice as many hours at what was supposed to be my 2nd job at the time. Job2 was the exact opposit. A retail job where i was expected to do nothing but my basic training, and then clock in, stand around helping customers, then clock out. It's hard to list accomplishments because I was never expected to, nor given the opportunity, to accomplish anything.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
I'm curious what the expert resume writers thoughts are on using inflated position titles on your resume. These are especially common when working at start-ups/small businesses.

What I mean is, take the situation where you have a person hired by a small 10-person company to do their marketing. Maybe they sell widgets locally. This guy comes in and helps them advertise so they sell 20% more widgets. They give him the job-title of "Vice President of Marketing". Should this guy use that title when listing the job on his resume? Unless you have been at executive levels in other jobs, it feels to me like it'd be sorely out of place and raise eyebrows even though, in this example and probably many real-life ones, they guy did the core job well and there's no reason he should need to downplay his contributions.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sivlan posted:

I'm curious what the expert resume writers thoughts are on using inflated position titles on your resume. These are especially common when working at start-ups/small businesses.

What I mean is, take the situation where you have a person hired by a small 10-person company to do their marketing. Maybe they sell widgets locally. This guy comes in and helps them advertise so they sell 20% more widgets. They give him the job-title of "Vice President of Marketing". Should this guy use that title when listing the job on his resume? Unless you have been at executive levels in other jobs, it feels to me like it'd be sorely out of place and raise eyebrows even though, in this example and probably many real-life ones, they guy did the core job well and there's no reason he should need to downplay his contributions.

It depends on where you're going. In financial services, VP is basically an entry-level title, so nobody's going to bat an eye at it. In most tech companies, VP is a difficult title to earn and equates to an extremely senior position. So you kind of have to read the company you're going to.

The way I would handle it is to list your actual title, then in the bullets to clarify the scope and authority level. So something like:

- Vice President, Marketing
- Lead local-area marketing efforts for 1-person marketing team to increase widget sales from $X to $Y in 1 year
- etc.

Then in the interview, you can clarify that you know the title is inflated and you want more responsibility or whatever.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Alright, trying to "update/refresh" my resume a bit. Making two resumes, one for "general" purposes, the other for engineering positions (because if nobody has interviewed me in 5 years doesn't mean they won't start soon, right?) I'm filtering out some of the 'shorter' jobs, I've had (I've never been fired, but I've been laid off a few times).

Since all of my jobs are "unreleated" is it okay to write it out like this for the engineering resume:

Retail Position Month 2013 – Current
Retail Company City, State

Warehouse Position Month 2012 – Month 2012
Warehouse Company City, State

Call Center Position Month 2010 – Month 2011
Call Center Company City, State

Bank Position Month 2009 – Month 2010
Bank City, State

Basically just leaving off duties/accomplishments since these jobs are all pretty well unrelated to what I want to do. I want to basically show that I've not been a couch surfer for the past 5 years, but leave enough room for my Skills and Academic Projects sections and be able to fit it all on one page. Would this be acceptable, or should I find someway to shoehorn in something?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I'm adapting my US-style resume into a UK-style CV. I've added more employment history and have swapped out responsibilities with achievements wherever possible. I've read conflicting things about introductory statements and the like. Should I have one? Also, my formatting is very, very simple: Times New Roman text, no visual elements beyond text. I'm not a graphic designer (although I work in a graphical field). Should I bother doing some sort of gussied-up layout? If I put things in boxes I could put awards/achievements in a sidebar or something that would move its positioning up, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I'll break out InDesign and play around I guess.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, I've done a bit of work on my resume, and I'd like to get a critique on the latest draft. Here's the link.

I downloaded Open Office and it was able to save the resume as a .doc file, but I don't know if the formatting saved properly or not. Assuming it did, I'd like to get some feedback on how to improve the formatting of my resume. I keep hearing a lot of contradictory things about how I'm supposed to have tons of white space, but fill up the resume with accomplishments and talk a lot about what I've done and the like. There's like 80 million templates out there, and it's confusing to find one that fits my specific resume, let alone one that fits it will enough to look professional.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

neogeo0823 posted:

I downloaded Open Office and it was able to save the resume as a .doc file, but I don't know if the formatting saved properly or not.

Ugh, I use OpenOffice at home, too, and it's pretty awful. Just an FYI, if you export as a PDF (which I'm pretty sure you should be doing; I only send my resume as a .doc if the employer specifically requests it), make sure you check the embed fonts option, otherwise this will happen to your bullet lists:

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Also, what are the thoughts on adding a "leadership" or soft skills section to your list of skills? If you're applying for leadership type jobs just listing which adobe programs you're proficient in doesn't seem adequate.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

corkskroo posted:

Also, what are the thoughts on adding a "leadership" or soft skills section to your list of skills? If you're applying for leadership type jobs just listing which adobe programs you're proficient in doesn't seem adequate.

Why do you have a list of skills in the first place? Every hiring manager knows that section is "things I've ever heard of or maybe one time thought about doing."

You can't tell leadership, you have to show it through your accomplishments and summary.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

For people who have experience with LaTeX, it's actually a really nice way to lay out resumes, and easily produces PDFs.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

Why do you have a list of skills in the first place? Every hiring manager knows that section is "things I've ever heard of or maybe one time thought about doing."

You can't tell leadership, you have to show it through your accomplishments and summary.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've built the rest of the thing around actual, results-driven achievements, so it should be evident elsewhere. I came across a few samples of people with soft skills-based skill sections and wondered if that was a thing. It feels like padding.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Question! I have been employed for three years part time and one summer full time by the same job. Right now it looks like it's always part time and I have a one summer employment gap! How do I format this? Can send resume if you pm me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm a member of a national professional organization in my field, and on Thursday the local chapter around here is having its monthly meeting (dinner + a lecture). I'm planning on attending in the hopes of doing some good networking, or best-case scenario finding someone who wants to bring me in to interview because I've been unemployed since June. Any advice on how to strike a balance between being friendly and being "oh God please give me/help me find a job"? Or any other advice on networking at events like these? I don't think it's anything too formal.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

dur posted:

Ugh, I use OpenOffice at home, too, and it's pretty awful. Just an FYI, if you export as a PDF (which I'm pretty sure you should be doing; I only send my resume as a .doc if the employer specifically requests it), make sure you check the embed fonts option, otherwise this will happen to your bullet lists:

Thanks for the tip with that. Should I post a copy in .PDF format for critique?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
So I find myself in a bit of a situation. I want to make myself a nice resume but I don't even know where and what I am qualified for.

I fully own and operate my own business (philswallets.com) where I control every single aspect of my customers experience. I still plan on running this business on the side but I need a regular steady job with some benefits. I have no insurance right now and really need a steady income to supplement my business.

I have done the food service thing and have this experience to show but I feel showing this instantly makes me only qualified for more food service jobs. I am ready for something more. I know my experience with my own business qualifies me for something else I just have no idea what kind of things I could go into. I have done a lot of things that could be called nice sounding things like "inventory management" but if I ever were to work for a company doing this I would have no idea where to begin. Is this something that I would learn through the company anyways? Or would they expect me to know how to work the systems and stuff like that.

I can provide more information on the many things I do and have done.

Honestly I am applying right now for food service and entree level retail jobs for less than 10$ an hour but I feel I could do more. My self employed experience doesn't seem to help in these fields at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I did mention a multinational wallet empire, didn't I? It's time...

EDIT: I'm subscribed to this thread and your thread, and when I saw your avatar, I assumed I was reading your thread and was going to point you to BFC. So I guess I can't help. :v: