Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This feels like a stupid question, but is the WW bundle a limited offer or the new standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bruceski posted:

This feels like a stupid question, but is the WW bundle a limited offer or the new standard?

Hard to say right now. I don't think they are phasing out the Deluxe boxes because Nintendoland is still offered in them.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Bruceski posted:

Limited offer. It's stamped as "LE" everywhere, even in the text I got from Gamestop to say I could pick it up this Friday.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Shoopuf posted:

Limited offer. It's stamped as "LE" everywhere, even in the text I got from Gamestop to say I could pick it up this Friday.

Of course, wasn't the Donkey Kong 64 N64 bundle supposed to be limited edition? I remember seeing that thing for years.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Of course, wasn't the Donkey Kong 64 N64 bundle supposed to be limited edition? I remember seeing that thing for years.

Maybe it was because DK64 wasn't that popular and N64's were still relatively expensive?

Didn't those come in green? Maybe Green wasn't a very popular console color.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Maybe it was because DK64 wasn't that popular and N64's were still relatively expensive?

Didn't those come in green? Maybe Green wasn't a very popular console color.

Yeah I think the DK64 one was green while there was another one that was purple that was the only N64 you could find after 1998. Or at least it felt that way.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I was just at a GameStop that was selling xenidblade for 70$.

They sure crashed the poo poo out of that secondary market. Still glad I bought it at its original price.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I was just at a GameStop that was selling xenidblade for 70$.

They sure crashed the poo poo out of that secondary market. Still glad I bought it at its original price.

I bought what I thought was the only copy at my Gamestop.

I come back a few weeks later and they have another one that's more prominently displayed, for cheaper.

Kind of feels bad that I jumped the gun on that. :(

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
There's still no way to put 3DS eShop credit onto a Wii U, right? I've got $15 burning a hole in the DS pocket from the FE/SMTIV deal and would love to put it toward MH3U and spare myself the cash. At the moment, however, that's looking impossible.

Why, Nintendo? Why?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I've started trying out different weapons in MH3U. Dual Blades feel to weak and short, Switch Axe and Hunter Horn too complicated and Hammer too limited; I really liked the Longsword but my friend told me the friendly fire makes it a liability with other people. I feel kinda unsure about ranged weapons considering the limited ammo. I heard Sword and Shield are really good, but I don't know how I feel about a weapon that uses a shield.

Two questions: Is there a way to access the map during TV-off play? And how does the Lock-On feature work? I tried it while fighting a big monster but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Sometimes a red reticule would flash for a moment but disappears immediately after.

Dec 26, 2012

horriblePencilist posted:

I've started trying out different weapons in MH3U. Dual Blades feel to weak and short, Switch Axe and Hunter Horn too complicated and Hammer too limited; I really liked the Longsword but my friend told me the friendly fire makes it a liability with other people. I feel kinda unsure about ranged weapons considering the limited ammo. I heard Sword and Shield are really good, but I don't know how I feel about a weapon that uses a shield.

The ranged weapons are not a problem, your basic ammo is unlimited iirc so even if you run out of the special kinds you'll be fine. If you go for the light bowgun, remember to stock up with whatever that particular gun has listed with rapid fire - it shoots three in succession but only uses one shell's worth, so it's very efficient.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Two questions: Is there a way to access the map during TV-off play? And how does the Lock-On feature work? I tried it while fighting a big monster but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Sometimes a red reticule would flash for a moment but disappears immediately after.

The point of the lock on is to point the camera at the monster, thus getting a better vantage point of it and saving your fingers from using the Claw. As for weapon chat, I don't find the Longsword as much of a liability as people say, even in my group of MH friends at school, where one guy uses them exclusively. The deal is you should wait for the monster to go down before using Spirit combos, so that you don't end up loving anyone over via a monster's super attack.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

bladeworksmaster posted:

The point of the lock on is to point the camera at the monster, thus getting a better vantage point of it and saving your fingers from using the Claw.
Yeah, but the camera doesn't seem to stay locked on. It doesn't seem to affect the camera in any way, even though I remember it working in the demo for the 3DS version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah, but the camera doesn't seem to stay locked on. It doesn't seem to affect the camera in any way, even though I remember it working in the demo for the 3DS version.

Lockon just means if you tap L once it'll move the camera to the target, IIRC. There's no 'actual' lockon.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I guess getting W101 in the mail and WWHD being released means I should go ahead and hook up WiiU back up, right? It's like the gods are giving me a sign or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone please talk me out of getting that god drat Ganondorf statue edition of Wind Waker.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Someone please talk me out of getting that god drat Ganondorf statue edition of Wind Waker.

It's just a statue and you'll never do anything with it after you buy it and say "neat".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

$10 can buy many peanuts.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
All the women that you have over might not want to come over as often for one.

HorriblePencilist posted:

Is there a way to access the map during TV-off play?

Yeah just go into the start menu and turn the map on and it'll show up. I think if you want it on-screen when you're doing off-tv play you have to first remove it from the gamepad touchscreen and then switch it on in the start menu.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

EC posted:

I guess getting W101 in the mail and WWHD being released means I should go ahead and hook up WiiU back up, right? It's like the gods are giving me a sign or something.

Nah. gently caress it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

Do you have it preordered? Because if you don't they're not available at all anymore. I wouldn't pay over the odds for the statue. It's cool, but it's not that cool.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAAYUKk_SM_7WA

Cosmo trying to break WWHD results in fantastic images.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume it's been gone over before but I managed to hold off until the price drop. I've transferred my Wii to my WiiU, and there's no way to turn my 700 points into WiiU cash is there?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, was that premium WiiU bundle with NSMBU and NSLU a photoshop or is that a real thing that is coming out? I was planning to get the Zelda bundle, but funds are limited and that looked like a hell of a deal (I also just played through WW on GC less than a year ago)

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I assume it's been gone over before but I managed to hold off until the price drop. I've transferred my Wii to my WiiU, and there's no way to turn my 700 points into WiiU cash is there?

As far as I know you can use them on the Wii Shop Channel to buy things via the Wii OS and if it's on the Wii U eShop then you can pay a small fee to be able to run it from the Wii U's OS.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Widdiful posted:

As far as I know you can use them on the Wii Shop Channel to buy things via the Wii OS and if it's on the Wii U eShop then you can pay a small fee to be able to run it from the Wii U's OS.

This applies to Virtual Console games that are currently available on both eShops.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Trent posted:

So, was that premium WiiU bundle with NSMBU and NSLU a photoshop or is that a real thing that is coming out? I was planning to get the Zelda bundle, but funds are limited and that looked like a hell of a deal (I also just played through WW on GC less than a year ago)

I don't think there's been a peep about it on any news sites, but the flyer said "November". It could be that they're keeping focus on the WWHD SKU for now and announcing the next one in a few weeks.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Picked up my bundle today and immediately misspelled my Nintendo account name.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
That Gannon statue to the special edition Windwaker Gamestop exclusive is seriously weak, there are Hummels that are bigger than that thing. Not only that but Gamestop sold out of them so all you have left is the regular edition anyways.

The Gannon statue doesn't even come up to the knee of one of those Hong Kong Zelda figurines, it is that tiny.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

That Gannon statue to the special edition Windwaker Gamestop exclusive is seriously weak, there are Hummels that are bigger than that thing. Not only that but Gamestop sold out of them so all you have left is the regular edition anyways.

The Gannon statue doesn't even come up to the knee of one of those Hong Kong Zelda figurines, it is that tiny.

Special edition bonuses are rarely special.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Special edition bonuses are rarely special.

I dunno, that Milla Maxwell that came with Xillia's collector's edition was pretty nice.

On the flipside, PXZ's stuff was nothing to write home about, the poster would've been great if it was larger and had a few more characters on it.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 21, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I dunno, that Milla Maxwell that came with Xillia's collector's edition was pretty nice.

Yeah that was the size of the Uncharted 3 Nathan Drake figurine. 8 inches tall is even larger than the average action figure which is around 6 inches.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I just got my Wii U! When I sold my Nintendo Wii years ago I had deactivated the store account. Do I need to somehow find that log-in info and use it as my Nintendo Network ID in order to have access to the few SNES games I had on it? I can't seem to find a way to recover it on Nintendo's site...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

barren_sky posted:

I just got my Wii U! When I sold my Nintendo Wii years ago I had deactivated the store account. Do I need to somehow find that log-in info and use it as my Nintendo Network ID in order to have access to the few SNES games I had on it? I can't seem to find a way to recover it on Nintendo's site...

Those suckers were tied to your console, you're SOL there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

deadwing posted:

This applies to Virtual Console games that are currently available on both eShops.

I don't suppose there's any convienent place on the WiiU shop to see which Wii games you can get a discount on and what the cost would be? I've got about 15-20 of them on the Wii side so it would be a lot of back-and-forth to check each one at a time.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I don't suppose there's any convienent place on the WiiU shop to see which Wii games you can get a discount on and what the cost would be? I've got about 15-20 of them on the Wii side so it would be a lot of back-and-forth to check each one at a time.

There aren't really that many VC games on the Wii U eshop yet, so you could just go to the Virtual Console list. Any games with the discounted $1.00/$1.50 price are ones you have on your Wii.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Bruceski posted:

If you go to the WiiU shop and just scroll through the Virtual Console games it'll detect what you have and show you the discount. It's like 1-1.50$ depending on system

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Literally anything on both shops is eligible for a discount, just sort the eShop by Virtual Console games and look through the list. If you've already done the system transfer, the discount should be visible for any of the games you already own, the price is a buck for NES and 1.50 for SNES.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Finally own a Wii U, now to enjoy owning the most up to date console for a month and slowly give into the need to justify this purchase to myself.

Wonderful 101 is everything I hoped for, it's such a charming game. My one issue is that several times I've gone to perform Unite Build, for instance making the arrow to shoot Laambo, and finding that the last guy I need to send up gets caught on something, so is that a quirk that is just inevitable or am I doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I hadn't realized the virtual shop selection was all of two pages. Simple to search.

• Locked thread