Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

So apparently, Dontrel the Dolphin got updated.

First off, it has cover art now.

Kores are gone, replaced with weird cross things. These also replace your lives, which makes things surprisingly hard since enemies can make you lose all your lives just by running into them.

Graphically, it's essentially the same. Also, if you go underwater, you turn into a ghost. The sounds are a little less terrifying. Music's as scary as ever, but Dontrel goes "YOPO" whenever you pick up an item now.

Also, on the YoYo page, it's creator now says:

quote:

The final version will be available soon.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I loving love this for most of the same reasons I love old Megaman art. It is legitimately :krad: Bad Game Art.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I loving love this for most of the same reasons I love old Megaman art. It is legitimately :krad: Bad Game Art.

I'm not sure if the guy needs to lay off the crayon filter in Paint Shop or else get himself some better art materials.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
we tried playing but he removed the glitch that lets you cheat death which means we could not get any farther than the first boss... so it's pretty much impossible to play now.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There wasn't a cheat death glitch going on. The kores were hit points, and at least once Lowtax got down to I think one kore, so he was almost dead. But they were so abundant that eventually it didn't matter so much. Except that the duck boss was taking like 20 twenty kores at a time. If everything else is the same, except there aren't anymore hit points and just lives, I can see that being a pain if you get tagged at all.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Did the creator make some sort of backstory for the existance of Dontrel?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Thwack! posted:

Satanic rituals conducted on an ancient wooded altar?

Also, Trelyate got taken off of YoYo. RIP TRELYATEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

Also, Trelyate got taken off of YoYo. RIP TRELYATEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Noooooooooooooooooo! :negative:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Nah it's just a marketing ploy. Wait for the HD re-master to come out in the next few weeks. Trel-o-vison is such a great company.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Hey everybody! How do you make your "great" game "better?" Give it some :krad: cover art!

Now if only cry of fear got the cover art makeover

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Thwack! posted:

He didn't have to. There is a dolphin centric werewolfish crypto-zoological animal in South America called the Encantado: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encantado So let's pretend that makes sense.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

He didn't have to. There is a dolphin centric werewolfish crypto-zoological animal in South America called the Encantado: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encantado So let's pretend that makes sense.

From the wikipedia article:

quote:

The fear of this is so great for many people who live across the Amazon rivers area that many of them, children and adults alike, are terrified of going near the water in certain hours (dusk to dawn) or in water-bodies alone. Some who supposedly have encountered encantados out in canoes have been said to have gone insane, although the creatures seem to have done little more than follow their boats and nudge them from time to time.

Sounds about right.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

What program was used to animate PewDiePie's face in that Top Ten video? I must know!

Um, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfwgnDtxTE

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Deadeye Dick posted:

What program was used to animate PewDiePie's face in that Top Ten video? I must know!

Um, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfwgnDtxTE

Looks a lot like CrazyTalk to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGt7lLU9blg

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

So, I saw that lowtax got one of those Google plus things that google makes everyone get these days

Friends Are Evil posted:

So apparently, Dontrel the Dolphin got updated.

First off, it has cover art now.

Wow, he's doing everything all by himself. He's really becoming the ultimate indie developer. :c00l:

Cockashocka fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 21, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Dontrel, did you break your left ankle?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Is he wearing a clip-on tie?

Knoxitor
Oct 22, 2012
I think a bit of his skull is exposed. That cannot be highlighting; that's bone up there.
Post-lobotomy Dontrel does explain some things.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I still don't understand how a dolphin has bits of hair sticking up off his head, but at the same time, Dontrel makes you accept a lot of things that simply can't be.

Also, Pewdiepie is a lot more tolerable with a robot voice.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Gaspy Conana posted:

Looks a lot like CrazyTalk to me.

I love you so much for pointing out that this program exists.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Who's the son of a bitch that didn't notice Hotel Awesome was up? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWeiROWzIM

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

LvK posted:

Dontrel, did you break your left ankle?

All that repeating animation finally came back to bite Dontrel in his hideous hide.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Lizard Wizard posted:

Who's the son of a bitch that didn't notice Hotel Awesome was up? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWeiROWzIM

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Pixelated"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

I still don't understand how a dolphin has bits of hair sticking up off his head, but at the same time, Dontrel makes you accept a lot of things that simply can't be.

Well, as Knoxitor pointed out, there appears to be a patch of exposed skull. It's not hair, it's a ragged flap of flesh.

Dolphin fights are rough, you know.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cooler than what posted:

Well, as Knoxitor pointed out, there appears to be a patch of exposed skull. It's not hair, it's a ragged flap of flesh.

Dolphin fights are rough, you know.

Dontrel is actually Undead.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 22, 2013

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Neruz posted:

Dontrel is actually Undead.
Spoiler that poo poo or get banned.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Dontrel owns, to be honest. I mean look at that awesome box art.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I wanna go back to the blue room...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-E7jF7w1Tc

The Virus! :zombie:

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.
Was there a recent update to Game Maker that broke z-buffering in their 3D engine? That's at least the second game we've seen in the last few days where suddenly things get completely messed up.

It makes for a nice effect I guess, but I doubt that was intended.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Azriel Odin posted:

Was there a recent update to Game Maker that broke z-buffering in their 3D engine? That's at least the second game we've seen in the last few days where suddenly things get completely messed up.

It makes for a nice effect I guess, but I doubt that was intended.

Game Maker doesn't even HAVE a 3D engine. You have to actually code one yourself. It has 3D drawing functions but that's about it. Most likely its someone's lovely usage of those functions that everyone else copied, because originality and coding skill is something that is severely lacking in the Yoyogames community.

Also you gotta really appreciate the yobs who have their games end with an error because they couldn't be arsed to put more rooms in or code in some kind of end-of-game case.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Why didn't you shoot any of the propane tanks? :(

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That would be a waste of good propane.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Wow, they managed to make the death animations even more screwed up than in Erned Laser. Also I love the shotgun, traced over Doom 2's Super Shotgun entirely but with none of the detail.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The shotgun bullets have "clip" written on them.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Smarty Lab Counterattack: Now with more Doom MIDIs!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVsG6rVfFys

:siren: Meatwad makes a come-back! :siren:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I like how you absolutely felt the anger at the end of the video.
One has to wonder how long that game actually is though, wow.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That wasn't Half Life! It was Four and a Half Lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Oh man, the Pounland games have been my favorites in the thread and it's downright depressing to see them get so bad that they're now effectively retired. Worst of all is the lack of any death text. Where the gently caress is my "Ollie done corpsed" Pounland guy?!

• Locked thread