Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

Toro
- Critical chance in Right Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Hip hit!
- - Foot Actuator Hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 2 hip hit + 0 kicked = 7): rolled 9, succeeds!

Shouldn't he have to do 3 rolls - one for being kicked and one for each critical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes you can, but the damage is halved and then halved again if you don't have actuators. The Blackjack punches for 1 damage.

And now I am picturing the Blackjack ineffectually flailing it's stubby gun arms around like that one robot boss from Sector X in Star Fox 64.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Does the Drillson - SRM have a storage capacity for troops (equipped with bio-hazard gear), the crew capacity is listed as '???' on Sarna, but I'd assume it's 3 without further information, though I suppose a further modification might've been made.
It rushing south out of an effective combat radius all but guarantees it's planning to do something to the bunker complex, but I can't imagine firing at it would be very effective except to block the entrance with rubble and maybe cut off the ventilation or do some damage to the electronics coordinating the complex, but not the individual bunkers... unless maybe it's been modded with an ECM suit.

Is there going to be a last-ditch rush by the Blackjack or Raven? Probably won't make it in time though, so better to take advantage of the Drillson's absence.

I kinda miss the thread discussions on tactics.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 20, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey, good catch.

I don't think anybody's in any position to do anything about it, though.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, probably not worth it for the Drillson to be absent either since they have a good shot at winning (they've taken less damage (76-83), but it's been better concentrated and in more strategic locations), but it's going to lead to some interesting flavor text. :D

And not that there's any need as the net gain is positive by staying, but in theory, can the force at Zero Impact Point gain a victory by just leaving off map to the south? Killing the Taurians and each other are both secondary objectives.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 20, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

Does the Drillson - SRM have a storage capacity for troops

Nope.

Readingaccount posted:

can the force at Zero Impact Point gain a victory by just leaving off map to the south?

Yup, but there may be repercussions.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Readingaccount posted:

And not that there's any need as the net gain is positive by staying, but in theory, can the force at Zero Impact Point gain a victory by just leaving off map to the south? Killing the Taurians and each other are both secondary objectives.

No retreat no surrender. Those Capellan Taurian bastards must die for their crimes against the people of New Syrtis.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Another interesting thing about Impact Point Zero is if the TDF kills a Capellan or DNS mech, it's partner will be strongly incentivized to fight more defensively to retain strength against it's temporary allies. The alliance looks very solid at the moment though, I'm guessing it might hold till the Taurian Force is completely destroyed or hanging on by a thread.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There isn't actually any need for the players to betray each other, and even looking beyond the mission at hand it doesn't seem like a pragmatic decision for either party. The DNS folds need every able-bodied combatant they can get, and the Capellans would be reduced to being a pair of mechs on a radioactive wasteland where literally everyone is trying to kill them and they have no way to get home.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey can I take over the griffin please?
edit: definitely let me take over the griffin gently caress all ferrosols

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 21, 2013

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Voyager I posted:

There isn't actually any need for the players to betray each other

You're talking about goons.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

well I've been a naugty boy. Will try and get my moves in ASAP this time.

I will trial of possession your poo poo on legends to get your slot in this gay game, give it to me baby.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Voyager I posted:

There isn't actually any need for the players to betray each other, and even looking beyond the mission at hand it doesn't seem like a pragmatic decision for either party. The DNS folds need every able-bodied combatant they can get, and the Capellans would be reduced to being a pair of mechs on a radioactive wasteland where literally everyone is trying to kill them and they have no way to get home.

The secondary objectives give the impression that optimally they're supposed to kill each other after saying hi... I did think it was strange, but this is the DNS and CC we're talking about here.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Readingaccount posted:

The secondary objectives give the impression that optimally they're supposed to kill each other after saying hi... I did think it was strange, but this is the DNS and CC we're talking about here.

My idea is that the secondary objectives are there to display it as a possibility for the players to do that rather than as a mandatory murderfest.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If the players don't take the opportunity to fire on eachother the moment the Taurians are reduced in number I would be very disappointed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

supposed to kill each other after saying hi...

Actually, it's there so that something something something won't be penalized if they do the natural thing and try to murder each other.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

...What would've happened in previous scenarios if a player decided to fire on one of their teammates on their own initiative, outside of the scope of the objectives? Would the friendly-fire order be allowed? Objectives be amended?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Dolash posted:

...What would've happened in previous scenarios if a player decided to fire on one of their teammates on their own initiative, outside of the scope of the objectives? Would the friendly-fire order be allowed? Objectives be amended?

WoB ROM can be found anywhere at any time.

But only when it wants to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Depends on the scenario, probably nothing since I don't usually allow friendly fire. This scenario is special since tension between the DNS and CapCon are very high as both nations are at war.

SIGSEGV posted:

WoB ROM can be found anywhere at any time.

Word of what now? I think you mean ComStar. :tinfoil:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Remember, this is a timeline where there's no need for a ComStar Classic since there's no ComStar New Coke.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Remember, this is a timeline where there's no need for a ComStar Classic since there's no ComStar New Coke.

Well, what you call ComStar classic is fairly close to what ComStar actually was. I mean, they did have an insane intel agency and millions of specially recruited and armed sociopaths who believed themselves directed by the Word Of God. (AKA Blake)

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Raven 4X
I would like any sort of advice in regards to my plan of action here... I did precisely gently caress-all to that hovercraft and managed to make one of them quite upset with me, and with the enemy closing on the bunker, I'm not sure if I should make a break for it?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Red_October_7000 posted:

Raven 4X
I would like any sort of advice in regards to my plan of action here... I did precisely gently caress-all to that hovercraft and managed to make one of them quite upset with me, and with the enemy closing on the bunker, I'm not sure if I should make a break for it?

Most of your unit is pretty constrained. (I did warn you) You're limited further by overheating, I'm afraid, though I realize that was mostly the Inferno.

Consider walking to 1521 (and probably turning to 1421). The Cicada is very hard to hit normally, but by moving there, you'd need 8s to hit with the SRMs and the MLAS, and you'd be in minimum from the Cicada's PPC and out of short from the Quasit and Phoenix. You stand to eat some medium lasers, but not a huge number.

Alternatively, you could jump to 1215, cool down, and expand your options in the near term, but I expect there may be competition for that hex.

If you feel extremely lucky, you could jump behind the Cicada and alpha for 10s, but you'll need to jump away and hide for sure after that.

e: if you feel confident you wouldn't fall, and your jump jets are in your torso, 1222 is a safeish option, but it really is contingent on your JJ placement.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Red_October_7000 posted:

managed to make one of them quite upset with me

That just happened because you made yourself an easy target by only jumping 3 hexes. Different nations have different target priorities, and the Taurians fight like the AI in MegaMek (they target whatever's easiest to shoot).

The Merry Marauder posted:

you'd be in minimum from the Cicada's PPC

ER PPCs have no minimum range.

Edit: I should have everyone's orders in by now, so if I don't have them (or a request for more time) by the time I get home from work today at 2:00PM MST you won't be moving.

We're not going another 3 days without an update.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 22, 2013

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

The Merry Marauder posted:

Most of your unit is pretty constrained. (I did warn you) You're limited further by overheating, I'm afraid, though I realize that was mostly the Inferno.

Consider walking to 1521 (and probably turning to 1421). The Cicada is very hard to hit normally, but by moving there, you'd need 8s to hit with the SRMs and the MLAS, and you'd be in minimum from the Cicada's PPC and out of short from the Quasit and Phoenix. You stand to eat some medium lasers, but not a huge number.

Alternatively, you could jump to 1215, cool down, and expand your options in the near term, but I expect there may be competition for that hex.

If you feel extremely lucky, you could jump behind the Cicada and alpha for 10s, but you'll need to jump away and hide for sure after that.

e: if you feel confident you wouldn't fall, and your jump jets are in your torso, 1222 is a safeish option, but it really is contingent on your JJ placement.

Red, see my post in the Google doc. 1521 would expose you to a lot of fire from the bad guys with +0 to hit you from your movement, so you'd be a great target. 1222 wouldn't let you shoot anyone so wouldn't help us win. I gave you three suggestions in the doc. As for heat, we are nowhere near ending this scenario, so I don't suggest overheating a huge amount at this stage.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I hope the Toro gets a clean death, not a medium laser to its right leg (it took 2 extra damage from an overclocked large laser).

On that topic, are players and the Opfor allowed to stand up as turrets again now that the campaign and cinema are over, or was that a permanent rule change?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 22, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Carbolic posted:

Red, see my post in the Google doc. 1521 would expose you to a lot of fire from the bad guys with +0 to hit you from your movement, so you'd be a great target. 1222 wouldn't let you shoot anyone so wouldn't help us win. I gave you three suggestions in the doc. As for heat, we are nowhere near ending this scenario, so I don't suggest overheating a huge amount at this stage.

Don't obsess over move mods. Opening the range from the Quasit to medium from short for the SRMs and MLAS is just as useful as accumulating a +2 TMM.

I thought we established 1222 is Depth 1 water, putting him at short with his primaries on the Cicada? The problem is not being able to jump out if his JJs are in the legs, and the fact that if he falls, his LT would flood.

Overheating is fine if you can take a turn to cool down afterward. Jump MP is unaffected by heat, after all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's now officially too late to be worrying about move mods.

Edit: Because they are going to be "0"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 22, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
And now we see the players worst enemy is not PTN's dice, it is the players ... themselves.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
As an observer, I'm loving the new deadline stance. :munch:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not new, I just haven't been enforcing it as fervently as I should.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I suggest something better for future rounds

Everytime a player misses a turn, the OPForce get another mech on the field as reinforcements

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Raven's movement is technically illegal (moving through an enemy unit). He gets to do it anyway because otherwise only the Firebee will have acted this turn.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Raven's movement is technically illegal (moving through an enemy unit). He gets to do it anyway because otherwise only the Firebee will have acted this turn.

:stare:

Okay, this is getting out of hand.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

landcollector posted:

:stare:

Okay, this is getting out of hand.

No, seriously. That's bullshit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I vote that PTN become ruthless on alternates, primarily to get through the pilot list faster so I can play now instead of 2018. :v:

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Speak for yourself, I don't want any pre half-cored Mech to explode in :colbert:

(fake e: Just kidding, I can explode in any Mech at any time!)

Actual e: This turn is going to be outstanding though. What the hell guys?

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

No, seriously. That's bullshit.

I know, I know. Normally I would've asked for a correction, but he's never played tabletop before and for some reason I feel like I should let this slide.

Fake Edit: Oh look, orders from the Blackjack. I haven't rolled a single dice for that half of the mission yet so as sorely tempted as I am to let them sit in my inbox new and unopened, I think I'm going to accept them.

Which is also the cue for Carbolic to get me orders for the Watchman. If they turn up before I start rolling dice (which is going to be in, oh, five to ten minutes (or less)) I'll take them. Black has built a silly dice maze, GO!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 23, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Speak for yourself, I don't want any pre half-cored Mech to explode in :colbert:

okay, good point. I want some valiant volunteers ahead of me on the pilot list to die in these things and I get something fresh and new to die in. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Firebee is the only mech I am rooting for in that fight, so I am fine with this. Such a scrappy little bastard. TDF can waste their fire on everyone else.

• Locked thread