Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

fyo posted:

I know there's gonna be quality/price trade-off, but the "Genuine SAAB" stuff I'm seeing generally at least twice as much as aftermarket.

edit: this would be for an OG9-3

Depends on what you're looking for. The Scantech and URO parts are not as good as OEM (for warranties), but they are a hell of a lot cheaper.. and readily available. RockAuto is fine, just as long as you know what you are getting. Skip StateOfNine, there is a dumbfuck surcharge, but TheSaabSite tends to have decent prices.

I've got a 3rd party red cap DI cassette in a car I fixed up for a friend [via RockAuto] - got over 15k on it within the last 6 months, and it's doing perfectly fine. That was the ONE thing I was concerned about.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
Ok, that's what I was hoping, thanks.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Oh, and the rollers broke in the single window I didn't replace them in. The other $12 worth of [afermarket] rollers are doing fine..

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Heh, I didn't think a 92-x was fist pump from a stranger in the Trader Joe's parking lot worthy. I don't even have the aero, just the linear--though it is a manual :cool:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It looks like my Saabaru might be changing hands shortly. I have a coworker who wants to buy it from me to give to his son. It's served me well as a beater commuter wagon.

That being said I'm in the market for a cheap beater and I just may have to pick up another Saab. :v:

If anybody knows of anyone in the DC area is looking to offload a Saab on the cheap, send them my way!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Here's a good one: anyone know the spark plug part number listed in the owner's manual for the 2011 9-4x Aero (2.8L V6 Turbo)? Or, at least, know what part number they come with from the factory? TIA

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

totalnewbie posted:

Here's a good one: anyone know the spark plug part number listed in the owner's manual for the 2011 9-4x Aero (2.8L V6 Turbo)? Or, at least, know what part number they come with from the factory? TIA

Looks like NGK 2315.

ObSAAB: Talked to a guy about buying his silver 2001 95 LPT back in April. He wanted $5,000. Waaaay too much. Buddy who lives there said he is now asking $3,000. I think I may just have to offer $2750. :dance:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks, but where did you find that? It's an aftermarket part number so I'm not sure that that's the exact plug that went into the engine at the factory.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I went off the engine data, then followed upstream. I confirmed this was 'the same' with a former dealerships' parts guy as I don't have WIS access.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Alright, thanks.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

totalnewbie posted:

Alright, thanks.

I found my note that I thought I threw out last night. :haw:
The above is AKA NGK DILFR7B10G. Amazon thinks they came with a Bosch HR9BC. The 2.8T based SRX wants NGK (6509) LTR6IX-11. :shrug:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Talking to the GM engineer and I've determined that you have to be a drat historian to know what's going on. The LP9 apparently started with a single precious metal plug (LTR6IX-11) and went to DILFR7B10G '06 or '07. The LAU that was released with the 2010 SRX and 9-4x always used DILFR7B10G.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Heh, I didn't think a 92-x was fist pump from a stranger in the Trader Joe's parking lot worthy. I don't even have the aero, just the linear--though it is a manual :cool:

I wave at every 92x owner I see. So far several Linears and one Aero. The Aero knew what was up but all of the Linears just give me this puzzled look.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

JayKay posted:

It looks like my Saabaru might be changing hands shortly. I have a coworker who wants to buy it from me to give to his son. It's served me well as a beater commuter wagon.

That being said I'm in the market for a cheap beater and I just may have to pick up another Saab. :v:

If anybody knows of anyone in the DC area is looking to offload a Saab on the cheap, send them my way!

This one always pings my radar but I need a wagon...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4063936877.html

Seems a good deal to me. The 2.0 is a GM engine so there'll be parts forever.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Oh great Master of Saabs in the sky, please give me some guidance.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4061527557.html

quote:

2002 Saab 9-5 Aero. 4-door. Grey. 5-Speed. Turbo. 145K Miles. Leather htd seats. Sun Roof. New clutch. New front brakes. $2900. Non-smoker.

Anything I should be looking for?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Get the VIN, call up your former SAAB dealership and be nice with the parts jockey. Ask them to get you an IRIS report (They just need the last 8 digits). That will tell you what was replaced under warranty.

Ask for service records. If it has never had the timing chain done, well, it's past time. Also, check that the struts aren't original. The B235 in 2002 was still a sludger. Check for the PCV#6 update.

Otherwise, that is a beauty, and I can't find anything close to that car for that price out here. :sigh:

E: Buy this you bastard!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

Get the VIN, call up your former SAAB dealership and be nice with the parts jockey. Ask them to get you an IRIS report (They just need the last 8 digits). That will tell you what was replaced under warranty.

Ask for service records. If it has never had the timing chain done, well, it's past time. Also, check that the struts aren't original. The B235 in 2002 was still a sludger. Check for the PCV#6 update.

Otherwise, that is a beauty, and I can't find anything close to that car for that price out here. :sigh:

E: Buy this you bastard!

I'm currently playing email tag with the seller, just asked him about about some of the issues you mentioned. I figured it was in the Sludger zone :(. Here's hoping he's a diehard and has kept it in good shape. Either way, I should be going by tomorrow to check it out.

Yeah I saw that 96. I'll only buy it if you come out here to get it running. Or you can buy it and I'll give you garage space till you can get it out to the west coast :v:

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

JayKay posted:

Oh great Master of Saabs in the sky, please give me some guidance.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4061527557.html

From the photo it looks like he's missing the front lip. Not a necessary part, but if you want to replace it with an original plan on dropping $200. Of course, you can use the $25 Home Depot front lip instead if you're so inclined.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Heard back from the seller

quote:

1) Do you have the service records available?
-Yes plus we printed out the CarFax report

2) Has the timing chain been replaced?
-The water pump was replaced at 110k miles…assume that Saab replaced the timing belt at same time.

3) Has the struts ever been replaced or are they original?
- Believe they are the original

4) Does it have the PCV #6 update?
- Not sure

5) Are you the original owner and how long have you owned it?
- Original owner; purchased October 2003

As long as his records are detailed, I think it should be OK. Not too concerned about the struts/shocks, those seem like a pretty easy fix I can hammer out on a weekend. I'm going to guess he has the PCV #6 done if he got the waterpump done at 110k by Saab, but either way I know what the fix looks like.

Pretty happy that he's the original owner, but this is all going to hinge on his records.

Anyways, I'm going to go see the car tomorrow morning, get the VIN and go over the records.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just got back from test driving the 9-5.

Good:
-Owner loved this car and was well cared for
-Tons of records
-Very clean
-Decent shape for a 10 year old car
-PCV #6 installed
-Brand new clutch and slave cylinder installed in the past year

Bad:
-SID screen is failing
-Climate Control module is dim/hard to see
-Cup holder is broken :mad:

Dealbreaking:
-Car has headgasket issues?.

According to the records, the car has been in the shop a few times for cooling issues (:siren:). It's had hoses replaced, thermostat replaced, etc. However most recently in May the records show that it tested positive for exhaust fumes in the coolant system (:siren:). There was definetly some evidence of leakage that was plainly visible. I was able to snap a few photos with permission: http://imgur.com/a/js04Q He claims the leaking is fixed and they haven't had issues but my eyeballs tell me otherwise.

I would have easily thrown cash at the seller if it wasn't for the apparent headgasket issues. I'm still tempted to throw out a lowball offer, but now I'm very hesitant. Suggestions?

As a side note, I had a wave of nostalgia wash over me as I started it up with the center mounted ignition. Oh the memories. :unsmith:

Edit: I'm thinking it's headgasket with the previous cooling issues and exhaust in coolant, but I wonder if it's just valve cover leaking.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 14, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

I'm thinking it's headgasket with the previous cooling issues and exhaust in coolant, but I wonder if it's just valve cover leaking.

Well, I'd start here, myself.. but I'm pretty sure that this has already been attempted. Worst case, drive it light until you have a weekend and a full paycheck to waste.

JayKay posted:

Yeah I saw that 96. I'll only buy it if you come out here to get it running. Or you can buy it and I'll give you garage space till you can get it out to the west coast :v:

I'm sure it won't take much to get it running, especially since it's not 100% stock anymore. :frogsiren:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

From doing some reasearch, it looks like the gasket issue is common/not the end of the world.

The overheating/exhaust gas in coolant makes me think headgasket but the location of the leak makes me think valve cover gasket especially since it seems like the 4cyl typically doesn't blow HG's. The valve cover gasket looks like a pretty simple repair.

I might need to take a second look at the car and maybe throw out a lowball with the reasoning of the gasket issue and see if he bites.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

So it looks like the 9-5 I posted earlier slipped through my fingers. Probably for the best since it's a wee bit leaky.

That being said, I have a new target :getin:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4034332403.html

quote:

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan, 2.3 Turbo, 4 door, 4 cylinder, automatic transmission, tan leather interior. 126,000 miles. Power windows, heated leather seats in front and back, sun/moon roof, individual temperature controls. Emission passed in June 2013. 2 new tires.

Good condition but not mint. I inherited a newer, very low mileage car, so am selling this one. $2300

I sent the owner my normal SAAB questionnaire and was immediately replied to with a "Call me"

So I found out the following about the car:

She flat out admitted she's not a car person :(
She has owned it 3 years and only put 13,000 on it.
She's the 3rd owner---1st was old dude, 2nd college kid
She supposedly has all the records.
Synthetic oil has been used ever since she owned it upon recommendation of previous owner, followed suggested maintenance schedule from Saab Indy
Central lock system is broken? She said that power locks dont work, have to use hand.
Sunroof is broken: Sometimes doesnt close all the way so she keeps it shut.
Recently had a blocked AC drain which flooded the car and killed the computer under the seat, she had it replaced.
She's been having it serviced at http://imsaab.com/ which is one of the few Saab-centric indy's that still exist in the area.
Check engine light is on, mechanic said "a valve needs replaced" and it'll cost around $300. I'm assuming since it's a $300 repairs, it's a small/cheap valve and not an "OMG KABOOM" valve.

I fired off an email to her indy to see if I can get more info on the service history and what is really causing the CEL.

Any idea what could be causing the central locking issues and if it's something I can fix myself? Edit: Isn't the TWICE unit under the driver's seat? I wonder if the flooding zapped it and that's what got replaced. She mentioned a really expensive computer repair.

I'm going to try to check out the car this week and I'm hoping the Indy can shed some light on the car.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 16, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Any idea what could be causing the central locking issues and if it's something I can fix myself? Edit: Isn't the TWICE unit under the driver's seat? I wonder if the flooding zapped it and that's what got replaced. She mentioned a really expensive computer repair.

Uh, do you know if the keyfob has ever had the battery replaced? I'd start with that if the trunk popper doesn't work. It's a CR-2032 in the slugfob.

The slushbox in that 2000 is a 4 speed, but it is durable one.

There are clips in the sunroof that like to break and fall out of place so it doesn't line up correctly. Also an easy fix.

Open the trunk, alarm the car, and close the trunk. If the alarm goes off, the wiring has been cut in the trunk. Also an easy fix.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

Uh, do you know if the keyfob has ever had the battery replaced? I'd start with that if the trunk popper doesn't work. It's a CR-2032 in the slugfob.

The slushbox in that 2000 is a 4 speed, but it is durable one.

There are clips in the sunroof that like to break and fall out of place so it doesn't line up correctly. Also an easy fix.

Open the trunk, alarm the car, and close the trunk. If the alarm goes off, the wiring has been cut in the trunk. Also an easy fix.

She is claiming that the center console lock switch isn't working either. I asked her to try unlocking the doors from outside with the 2 turn method to see if it unlocks all the doors however she hasn't gotten back to me yet. But I'll ask her about the batteries. I'm not too concerned about the broken stuff as they all seem like easy fixes I can do on the cheap. I just hope I can verify that maintenance history and that the CEL for a valve is just a minor matter.

I've also been in contact with a seller of a 2002 SAAB 9-3, 93K and the owner (2nd) seems to know his stuff, full records, etc.

I'm hoping to check out both cars this week.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Got ahold of her indy and inquired about the CEL. Their records show it was a P0455 which is a generic EVAP system code. So it might be something simple as a bad gas cap or the purge valve needing replacing/cleaning. Either way things are looking good. They however didn't have any info on what computer was replaced/zapped. I still think the central locking issue is due to the TWICE being zapped.

If it was the TWICE computer that got zapped, wouldn't it completely immobilize the car?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

If it was the TWICE computer that got zapped, wouldn't it completely immobilize the car?

I was thinking that perhaps they did the TWICE is (still?) damaged. Replace the batteries and press unlock on the keys 4 times in semi-rapid succession.. maybe it just forgot its programming? v:v:v

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

I was thinking that perhaps they did the TWICE is (still?) damaged. Replace the batteries and press unlock on the keys 4 times in semi-rapid succession.. maybe it just forgot its programming? v:v:v

Yeah I'm going to see if she can send me a copy of the paperwork from when she got it fixed. Apparently her indy International Motors merged with Swedish Motor Cars so the tech I was talking to had to check a few different databases before he found the car :v:.

Once I can confirm what was done, I'll go from there.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 16, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Got ahold of the paperwork from June, it basically said "Carpets are all wet and damaged the TWICE unit, we removed the seats and dried it, replaced the TWICE unit and reprogrammed the TWICE".

So now that we know the TWICE was dried/reprogrammed, what would cause the central locking system to stop working? She's said the remotes, center console switch, and the "turn twice in the driver's side door lock to unlock all" do not work. Would a desync'd/dead remote completely KO the locking system like that?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sweet Jesus they got 2 Saabs in this week!!!

I know where I'm going after work tomorrow since I won't be home until then.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress the Pick n Pull website, use the new poo poo: http://row52.com/

It has coupons! And pictures! And VINs! And smartphone apps. For some reason the data is also inconsistent between the PnP and Row52 websites, Row52 seems to update more often.

It seems to only return 3 cars for that yard under 9-5:
Sept 13: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z9Y3077824 auto V6
Sept 12: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z5X3039764 auto V6
Aug 21: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z213011914 auto V6

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 17, 2013

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

gently caress the Pick n Pull website, use the new poo poo: http://row52.com/
Aug 21: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z213011914 auto V6

Thanks for the site, I never knew it existed!

On a side note, that pic was taken before I got there weekend before last and removed that drivers side axle. ;)

edit: Also, has anybody else ever been to the Stockton pick n pull? If so, what the gently caress is the place behind it? There are what looks like Thai statues with targets on them possibly for bow and arrow practice? I have no idea, but they are always playing asian sounding music. Of course, that's the corner where they stuff all the Saabs. As far back and away from the entrance as possible.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 18, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Ended up buying the '00 9-5 Aero. :dance: Will be picking it up tomorrow.

Another quick question about the locks/TWICE. The remotes are still synced as it can arm and disarm the alarm, also the trunk release works from the bananna fob. According to the paperwork the indy said the locks were burned out due to the fact the central locking switch was jammed in the unlock position. I'm assuming I'll need to replace all 4 door lock actuators?

The indy had quoted her $1600 to fix it :wtf:. I'm figuring it should cost me maybe $200 max sourcing 4 actuators and installing them myself.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 19, 2013

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Guess who's back, back again..

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113091863143/saab-resumes-production-first-prototype-rolls-off-the

I'm wondering what the hell it is though, they were supposed to have switched production to electric, then ???? Who knows?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

The AC was blowing cold on the passenger's side and hot on the driver's side and figured it was the blend door. Did the ACC calibration and got a 1-21 (Recirc motor) and 2-8 (LH blend shaft broken) Dropped the kick panel and 2 different pieces of the Blend Door Lever dropped to the floorboard. Guess I figured out my problem :v:

So I now have a new full blend door repair kit on the way along with just a metal arm for the passenger side. I'm guessing that when I pull the recirc motor assembly I'm going to find at least a toasted transistor and probably a few other broken pieces.

Edit: Things to fix

quote:

4x door lock actuators
LF corner light assembly
ACC system
Valve cover gasket
EVAP check valve
oil pickup tube/clean out sump
Hood Struts
SID Ribbon

Anyone in VA/DC/MD area want to join me? I'll provide beef and beverages :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 20, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Edit: Things to fix

Do you mean the front end lamp (as I assume), or the courtesy light? I have my leftover courtesy sidelamps from my 2000, which I had replaced with the clear ones. They cam be yours for shipping (I hate the amber lamps.)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

Do you mean the front end lamp (as I assume), or the courtesy light? I have my leftover courtesy sidelamps from my 2000, which I had replaced with the clear ones. They cam be yours for shipping (I hate the amber lamps.)

Thanks for then offer but you're right, I have to replace the LF corner turn signal assembly. The plastic bracket called it quits and the assembly is being held in by tape. Luckily it's replacement should be here tomorrow.

Once that gets fixed I'll be able to wash the car and snap some work in progress photos.

Steven
Sep 15, 2008
Hey y'all. I have a pretty much bone stock 1998 9000cse that I've been dd'ing for the past decade. It's getting a bit rusty on the passenger side A pillar, as well as underneath the windshield. I've decided to have it repaired... But I also want to have the whole thing repainted and get some performance stuff done too. Basically what I'm asking is what would you guys suggest having done to make a really kickass one of a kind 9000?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Steven posted:

Basically what I'm asking is what would you guys suggest having done to make a really kickass one of a kind 9000?

Replace it with a non-rusted one with a working clock and an unfucked tranny. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just got done installing a replacement driver's font lock actuator and holy poo poo what a pain in the balls.

Not to mention as I was reassembling everything, one of the window rollers decides to explode.

Fix one thing, break another. :suicide: