Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Shoeless posted:

So I just wanted to give mad props (that's what the kids these days say, right?) to The good Professor for his Kadur faction mod. Now, the system that they're in is kind of annoying to sustain yourself in because in my experience there's not enough enemies to get supplies and whatnot to pay for the Kadur's massive crew/supply per day cost (aside from attacking the Kadur themselves but that's more of a stopgap and I'm sure future versions of the game will keep you from buying stuff from stations of factions you are hostile to). But my god the ships look nice, they have plenty of hardpoints, they have a good theme (missile/ballistic focus, high armor/hull with bad shields, fast top speed but bad turn speed/maneuverability) and more importantly they have my favorite ship out of all the ships in the vanilla game, Kadur, Gedune, SHI, Higaarans, and Junk Pirates (basically all the mods I can get to run with the 6.0 version): The Caliph. It is magnificent. Slow as poo poo but with tons of missile hardpoints and medium/large ballistic slots, it is just amazing. It has spoiled me on other battleships.

I mean sure its ability is kinda bad (you can jump like, 10 SUs per charge and hold up to two charges, and it doesn't always face you how you might like. Wooo...) is weird and whatnot, and sure it has like, 1200 crew minimum, and its got 30/supplies a day (don't get one ASAP if you haven't been keeping your Logistics up in your leveling or you end up having Bad Things occur) but it's just a monster in battle. And its CR loss per deployment is quite low.

So yeah, I can't wait to play this more, and hope once econ/industry gets to be a thing and faction relationships are developed more I can do something like start with them not overly hostile but not inclined to deal with me, and slowly win them over with good contracts and deals, and get access to their sweet, sweet hulls. Maybe even have them get new ship types as the game goes on if they get advanced tech through trade, or the same hulls but with different hardpoints (some missile/ballistics swapped for energy, that kind of thing.

Oh man, this touched my heart. I have the biggest stupid grin on my face right now, thank you. :shobon: The Caliph was intended to be a supercapital that pretty much requires a dedicated supply fleet running along with it but is huge and devastating as gently caress if you have that, so I'm glad that it lives up to my intentions.

For what it's worth, the phase shunt array's real purpose is to let you spin around or decelerate really quickly, something that Kadur ships generally can't do without using it. And the two charges are there just in case you come out mis-oriented the first time, like you've apparently experienced.

edit: VVV It's supposed to turn you to face the mouse, yeah. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to make it more accurate or not, actually. I'm pretty bad with java. :v:

I should also add that there's a new version out now with another system and more stuff to fight!

Vayra fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah, I hear you. The problem is that when it decides to reorient you seems to be random, and sometimes you end up facing the opposite of how you want. I've had times where I used both charges and didn't change facing at all; is there some trick to it, like it has a better chance of turning towards the mouse or something?

And really, I would suggest that the crew sizes be lowered a bit on the various ships. I know the reason for it is that they don't have a lot of automation like other factions, But it ends up adding like, almost 150000 credits to the effective cost, in terms of crew for the Caliph. Plus the supply/day is what hits against your logistics, so you end up needing like, 3 aptitude and 3 skills in Logistics and the skill that increases it just to be able to support it. Nevermind that low crew will lower combat readiness, iirc. So yeah. And this applies a fair bit to all the ships of the faction, afaik they have, for the most part, inflated supply and crew costs. Which is great and fluffy and for an AI faction that's got supplies coming out the wazoo it's fine. But it makes them really hard to use and maintain for players. Maybe if you're going to make them be crew heavy, reduce, for the tried and true ships (not the new tech ones) the supplies/day to represent tried and true, hardy systems and practices among the crews that have been developed to make the ships less costly?

Also glad I could put some more happiness into the world!

Edit: And apparently there's a new version out! Huzzah! Time to put off sleep for a few more hours.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 21, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Echoing the love for the Sunder. It's an all around solid ship with good shield coverage, enough armor to take a few hits, a decent maneuverable engine (For a destroyer), and generous flux for it's large energy mount.

It's pretty good in vanilla, but with the mods and the weapons accessed in them. :stare: Thing can wipe out any other destroyer and even some cruisers in one pass.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Level 10 helmsmanship, target analysis and some other goodies with a Hyperion at 100% CR is really something else. :stare:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Just snagged this on a whim because of this thread but I am woefully getting my rear end kicked. Even with the whole "sell the Marines, get a Lasher, etc." start, I can't keep my supplies and CR up enough to get very far. What should I be avoiding early, what should I be gunning for, etc.? Also, with the whole RPG-system early on, I have no idea what I should be focusing on early (Combat, Leadership, etc.)

Also, should I get the hang of the vanilla game before moving to mods (just grabbed Blackrock Drive Yards)?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Are supply issues addressed in the new patch he's working on? I'm still waiting to play so wondering if the complaints you guys are making about supplies have been tweaked.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I've been playing this a while, and as long as you don't let your fleet get out of control supplies haven't been an issue at all for me. They are worth tons of money, though.

Also for the guy two posts up, fight very small fleets to begin with, basically don't let yourself get flanked, try to make every fight you engage in a winnable one by default. If you can find lone buffaloes to fight, that's great. Hounds actually suck to fight against because they dance around at max range and are impossible to kill. I guess the real question is when/how are you dying - picking fights against people with better stuff than you, etc?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

feedtheid posted:

I've been playing this a while, and as long as you don't let your fleet get out of control supplies haven't been an issue at all for me. They are worth tons of money, though.

Also for the guy two posts up, fight very small fleets to begin with, basically don't let yourself get flanked, try to make every fight you engage in a winnable one by default. If you can find lone buffaloes to fight, that's great. Hounds actually suck to fight against because they dance around at max range and are impossible to kill. I guess the real question is when/how are you dying - picking fights against people with better stuff than you, etc?

Well, having never played before, "Hound" didn't mean anything to me until your description of the little frigate bastards that were faster than me and would kite me endlessly seemed to fit. Yes, I have engaged them and shouldn't. My first few times outside of the Hegemony (?) area had some fairly large pirate fleets and I couldn't find anything my two frigates could engage. I have won a few engagements but didn't couldn't salvage anything at the end (no transports/barges or whatever?) and didn't get credits for it either.

I'll keep playing by trial and error but it's just not fun getting thrashed when you don't know what you're doing. Same thing goes for refitting a ship: I'm guessing as to what seems like a good idea.

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If you're having trouble starting out, I find that the easiest route is to pick the independent warship option in your 2nd character creation choice. This will give you the wolf which can pretty much kite everything up to the buffalo. I like to take the missiles off and max flux capacity/venting to just brute force brawlers/hounds/buffalos with the 3 tac lasers and gravitron beam.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

FooF posted:

Well, having never played before, "Hound" didn't mean anything to me until your description of the little frigate bastards that were faster than me and would kite me endlessly seemed to fit. Yes, I have engaged them and shouldn't. My first few times outside of the Hegemony (?) area had some fairly large pirate fleets and I couldn't find anything my two frigates could engage. I have won a few engagements but didn't couldn't salvage anything at the end (no transports/barges or whatever?) and didn't get credits for it either.

I'll keep playing by trial and error but it's just not fun getting thrashed when you don't know what you're doing. Same thing goes for refitting a ship: I'm guessing as to what seems like a good idea.

To deal with Hounds (the frigates that have one big chaingun in front, no shields, and usually just kite you around) you want to outfit your frigate with the Unstable Injector mod, which increases your combat speed enough to catch up with them. Without their speed advantage, Hounds are shieldless and vulnerable. With that mod though, you need to be make sure to defend your engines - they increase the damage taken by your engines by 4x so a single Salamander will disable your engines and cause you to flare out.

If you're having trouble finding fleets to kill, you might want to try in hyperspace or hang around the larger Hegemony fleets and pick off the remnants of the larger pirate fleets they catch. Try and keep your burn level (campaign map speed) at 5 or more so you can reliably catch pirate fleets with Buffalo 2s in them. Burn speed is determined by the slowest ship in your fleet, so if you have a destroyer or freighter with 4 burn speed or slower be sure to give them Unstable Injectors to increase their speed.

If you weren't able to salvage anything, did you disable the frigates/destroyers/freighters? Once you've won the fight, you should always pick "send out salvage crews" to increase the amounts of supplies and credits you receive. If you fail to disable anything larger than a fighter though, you'll probably want to select "pursue" if they're moving to disengage or reengage them if they're coming back around for another fight (which they shouldn't if they retreated in the first place, barring some bugs with freighter-heavy fleets.)

With ship refitting, it's something you gain with experience once you get used to the different weapons systems. A general rule of thumb while you don't have many ships is to make them as well-rounded as possible by giving them weapons that can deal different damage types. With a Lasher, chances are you can put Autocannons or Dual Autocannons in the front-facing kinetic slots, Dual/Single Machineguns in the three kinetic turrets, and Harpoon racks or Single-shot Harpoons in the missile slots. Don't forget that you can overload frigates pretty easily by getting in close to them and using your Machineguns + Automated Ammo Feeder subsystem to overwhelm their shields, then back up and hit them with Harpoons to ruin their armor. Once their armor's gone, usually a few weapons and hopefully engines will be disabled and you can finish them off pretty easily.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

FooF posted:

Also, should I get the hang of the vanilla game before moving to mods (just grabbed Blackrock Drive Yards)?

Blackrock is great, but it's not updated for 0.6a just yet.

Try out Kadur Theocracy along with Gedune, Shadowyards and Junk Pirates. They're all updated to the latest Starsector version and they all work with each other, giving you a nicely populated world map with good ship variety. It should work just fine until the bigger faction compilation mods (like Uomoz's Corvus or Exerelin) are fully ported.

Also, to add on everyone else's advice, you can never go wrong with spending your skill points on Mechanical Engineering and Computer Systems on the Technology tree, they add extra Ordnance Points that you can use to fit even more guns/Flux vents on your ships (helping you out on both offense and defense) and they unlock some nice hull mods. Navigation is also nice to increase your campaign map speed so you can catch the weaker/faster pirate fleets or run from scary enemy blobs.

This isn't common advice on this thread, but having a supercheap Hound after buying your second combat frigate can be pretty handy. It's a super fast modified light freighter, so it doesn't slow you down at all and has a decent cargo hold to keep enough supplies for long periods of time in the field and to haul back loot to sell off at stations. The AI is also quite decent at avoiding enemy fire as you clearly noticed, but it still doesn't hurt to babysit it a little during battle or keep it out of combat if the upcoming battle is tough, you mainly want for cargo capacity and pursuit capabilities.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

FooF posted:

Remember, you CAN overload yourself with excess cargo! Don't be afraid to grab everything an enemy drops even if you go like, 400% or more over your cargo limit. Just zip back to the Hegemony station and sell the stuff you don't want (pirates don't generally drop particularly good weapons, so you are probably safe selling them) and excess Supplies. Supplies especially sell for 80 creds each. If you get 50 supplies from an encounter and sell them, that's 4,000 space bux easy. Stuff like Buffalo 2s tend to drop in excess of 100 supplies, so you can generally afford a lightly kitted out Lasher after each fight with them (though obviously some will be taken up with repairing at the station).

Also, Logistics is a thing you need to know about. On the overmap, your ships combined Supplies/Day adds up, and if that goes over your Logistics capacity you take penalties to combat readiness and you use up supplies faster. MUCH faster. So don't actually buy like, a Lasher ASAP after every Buffalo fight because you won't be able to support them with starting Logistics.

Hate spending money on weapons you end up not liking? You can test any ship you have in the refit screen at a station using the Simulation button! And since you don't actually pay until you either leave the refit screen or select another ship to refit, you never have to spend money on anything that isn't to your liking.

Lastly, if you're having trouble with handling enemies, don't be afraid to set all your weapons to autofire and concentrate just on dodging and maneuvering to minimize damage. You can also set your ship to autopilot (I forget how but you can) and watch what the AI does with it to get an idea of how to utilize it well. Obviously the AI probably won't be as good as a really good, skilled human, but when you're just starting out and are still new to the controls (I know I didn't feel comfortable with them for the first hour or so of playing) it's great help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I can add to the advice, if you are at the mid-point of your game and you are having trouble with supplies or logistics, don't be afraid to drop off a few ships at the abandoned shipyard. I found going back to a more lean fleet for a bit makes the game much easier.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Drakenel posted:

Echoing the love for the Sunder. It's an all around solid ship with good shield coverage, enough armor to take a few hits, a decent maneuverable engine (For a destroyer), and generous flux for it's large energy mount.

It's pretty good in vanilla, but with the mods and the weapons accessed in them. :stare: Thing can wipe out any other destroyer and even some cruisers in one pass.

I just gave one a shot after reading this post since I didn't realize any destroyers could even mount large weapons and I like it so far, but I can't quite kill stuff in one pass either and usually end up super high on flux. Time to level the combat tree a bit I think. My favorite ship so far though, even with all the mods, is the Medusa. The thing is so good all around and while it doesn't actually kill ships super fast it's so easy to overload enemy ships.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Just came back with all your suggestions and yep, I think I'm getting the hang of it. Selling supplies does give you a ton of cash. I still get ganked by large pirate fleets, though.

And where can I get better guns? Some of the Destroyer weapons are meh right now.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Tri-Tachyon Corporate Headquarters is the best place to buy energy weapons, with a smattering of high-end torpedoes and ballistics. The Hidden Pirate Base has a good selection of ballistics, and you can get lucky just about anywhere. The Hegemony Base typically has the fundamentals.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

How do you guys set up your Paragons? With the new CR/Logistics system they're very inefficient, but if I wanted efficient I would just buy dozens of Lashers.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hardened Shields are basically mandatory to make the Paragon into a Paragon, and I wouldn't field a Capital without an Integrated Targeting Unit. Beyond that it's hard to get good feedback, because at that point in the game the player is probably murdering everything regardless of the efficiency of their build.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Paragon is very, very good at dissipating soft flux in combat thanks to Fortress Shields and has a fairly limited number of hardpoints, so you can often prioritize raw damage output over efficiency in ways you wouldn't with other ships.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I've only just started playing the last few days, but so far my strategy is to start with a Lasher and immediately sell off enough stuff to buy a second. Two Lashers pretty much makes me a match for any pirate group I can't outrun (Even the rare 2 lashers and 2 fighters groups I see; I'm not terribly impressed with fighter effectiveness, and my lashers are a bit more tricked out than the pirate ones).

If you see a single buffalo (the destroyer sized boxy missile ships) flying around, or a buffalo and a squadron or two of fighters, imagine you're a great white shark and you've just spotted the world's fattest walrus. Missiles don't work too well as a dedicated weapon system (they're like a light sprinkling on shields), and buffalos have no shield generator. Just swoop in fast and blow them apart, then collect your generous salvage. The only threat to watch out for is some of their missiles, the salamanders, will try to swoop around behind you and knock out your engines.

Though on that note, missiles aren't useless: I usually give my lashers single shot harpoons, and once the enemy shields go down I quickly let off a salvo; they do amazing damage to hull, just very little to shields.

After that I mostly just fly around picking off light targets. I've experimented with adding additional frigates or fighters to the group; unfortunately I have yet to find a third lasher for sale, and in my experience fighters provide nice cover but are expensive to maintain after each battle. Two lashers is all you really need for the early game anyways, just run away from any group with multiple destroyers/a destroyer and lots of support (they move at burn 4, so it shouldn't be too hard).

Once I get enough money and skill, I upgrade the fleet with destroyer class ships. I usually wait for enough navigation to get burn 6 out of destroyers; otherwise it's extremely hard to catch anything, and I have yet to find a tug for sale. The problem here is that once I have a light carrier and a few combat destroyers, practically any but the largest pirate fleets immediately run away in combat. At this point it's about designing your ships to hunt down and catch pursuing enemies, which isn't nearly as fun as straight up fights. I'll probably look into mods to hopefully provide a bit more of an endgame.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

One understated piece of advice for new players is to use the ai and set your weapon groups to auto. For an alpha Starsector has a surprisingly good ai.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Oh also if you're having trouble with Hounds early, it turns out salamander missiles - the ones that seek engines - force ai hound's attention and flux to go above a non-zero number, so they have to slow down a little, which lets you catch them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Retro42 posted:

One understated piece of advice for new players is to use the ai and set your weapon groups to auto. For an alpha Starsector has a surprisingly good ai.

As much as people grumble about the long period between updates, there's good reason for it. The developer is a perfectionist, and any new features need to be tested heavily and fully functional before he'll release it into the wild.

The result is an Alpha that feels like a polished final release, just missing some features and content.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
While I'm still asking noob questions: is there a way to generate income (early in the game) that doesn't involve hoping and praying a lone Buffalo or two flies by? I mean, I love generating 10k credits in selling supplies but that seems rather luck-of-the-draw and I end up running out of supplies and having to restart.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Just kill whatever you run into and are able to handle, enemy frigate groups don't give you hundreds of supplies like the Buffalos but they still drop enough to keep you going. What kind of fleet are you running that supplies are such a huge issue? If you're running with a small frigate wolf pack without any ongoing repairs you shouldn't burn more than 2-3 supplies/day. Maybe 4-8 if you have some destroyers. Make sure you're not carrying more fuel/marines/cargo than you can handle, your crew will jury rig some extra space if you go over your caps but the maintenance costs will go through the roof eating all your supplies in a heartbeat.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bremen posted:

After that I mostly just fly around picking off light targets. I've experimented with adding additional frigates or fighters to the group; unfortunately I have yet to find a third lasher for sale, and in my experience fighters provide nice cover but are expensive to maintain after each battle. Two lashers is all you really need for the early game anyways, just run away from any group with multiple destroyers/a destroyer and lots of support (they move at burn 4, so it shouldn't be too hard).

Once I get enough money and skill, I upgrade the fleet with destroyer class ships. I usually wait for enough navigation to get burn 6 out of destroyers; otherwise it's extremely hard to catch anything, and I have yet to find a tug for sale. The problem here is that once I have a light carrier and a few combat destroyers, practically any but the largest pirate fleets immediately run away in combat. At this point it's about designing your ships to hunt down and catch pursuing enemies, which isn't nearly as fun as straight up fights. I'll probably look into mods to hopefully provide a bit more of an endgame.

I would highly recommend the Restock mod (found here http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3650.0) as it ensures that the vanilla factions/stations will always have at least one of each hull that the station should have. Suffer no longer the tribulations of 60% of the ships added to stations being fighters/bombers/small craft! Just go and buy a hull, leave the station, and come back and it'll be back. Not the most realistic perhaps but handy since they seem to have a ratehr limited stock otherwise and overbloat on fighters.

As for fleets running away.... yeah that can be annoying. Note that if your fleet is sufficiently slow you will not have the option to run, and this seems to apply to enemies as well, so if you go after a fleet with at least one Buffalo 2 in it they should be SOL. That or if they have like an Enforcer Destroyer which is also Max Burn 4, or a Dominator (though those only appear leading fairly large forces so approaching without a Cruiser of your own may be dangerous) which is max burn 3, they should be unable to try to disengage. I also remember hearing somewhere (quick check of this thread says it wasn't here but I tend to miss things right under my nose so...) that if you double click on a ship when deploying them in a Pursuit battle, the one where your ships actually deploy and the enemy auto runs for it, you can have your ships come in from the sides of the field instead of the bottom. Huge help, that would be, though I haven't been able to get it to work myself.

Re: FooF and whether you can make money early game aside from going after Buffalo 2s- the answer is sadly no. Not that I can discern really. There's no industry support yet so you can't mine for resources to sell or anything that's less risk/reward intensive. Apparently pre-6.0a patch there were 2-3 mods that added some kind of non-fighting income option, but none of them afaik are compatible with 6.0a.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

FooF posted:

While I'm still asking noob questions: is there a way to generate income (early in the game) that doesn't involve hoping and praying a lone Buffalo or two flies by? I mean, I love generating 10k credits in selling supplies but that seems rather luck-of-the-draw and I end up running out of supplies and having to restart.

Buffalos are the loot pinatas, but enemy lashers are good too, or the destroyer carriers if you can handle them (unlike Buffalos they have shields, and regenerate any fighters with them). Hounds and fighters I usually ignore if they're alone; they'll just run away and are too fast to reliably catch.

Shoeless posted:

As for fleets running away.... yeah that can be annoying. Note that if your fleet is sufficiently slow you will not have the option to run, and this seems to apply to enemies as well, so if you go after a fleet with at least one Buffalo 2 in it they should be SOL. That or if they have like an Enforcer Destroyer which is also Max Burn 4, or a Dominator (though those only appear leading fairly large forces so approaching without a Cruiser of your own may be dangerous) which is max burn 3, they should be unable to try to disengage. I also remember hearing somewhere (quick check of this thread says it wasn't here but I tend to miss things right under my nose so...) that if you double click on a ship when deploying them in a Pursuit battle, the one where your ships actually deploy and the enemy auto runs for it, you can have your ships come in from the sides of the field instead of the bottom. Huge help, that would be, though I haven't been able to get it to work myself.

Re: FooF and whether you can make money early game aside from going after Buffalo 2s- the answer is sadly no. Not that I can discern really. There's no industry support yet so you can't mine for resources to sell or anything that's less risk/reward intensive. Apparently pre-6.0a patch there were 2-3 mods that added some kind of non-fighting income option, but none of them afaik are compatible with 6.0a.

That doesn't seem to agree with my own experiences; I'm pretty sure I've seen destroyers flee from my frigate wolfpacks (albeit usually not successfully). And yeah, I've been experimenting with deploying ships in a noose formation (something interesting, though, I could forward deploy my fighters and frigates but not destroyers, which is both reasonable and tactically interesting); it works for catching some enemies, especially since the forward units only have to harry the enemy into raising shields and slowing down, but the fights are pretty boring since the enemy is hardcoded into doing nothing but running away. It basically means I spend my time repeatedly chasing down and destroying ships that barely fire back. The only pirates that will stand and fight are the large armadas with at least one cruiser, which are tough fights for my current fleet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game, but the lack of content leaves me a little aimless once I'm up to destroyers. That's why I'm looking to mods and, long term, industry to give more long-term goals.

vvvvvv If you're near your logistics limit, sell down to your max cargo size then repair. Logistics is based on supply use, so having more cargo than you can carry will put you over it, and reduce your maximum CR.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

FooF posted:

I managed by killing whatever I could with my wolf on its own, taking everything that it drops, high-tailing it back to the station, and selling whatever was left after repairs. Never worry about fighters, since they don't have cargo.

It gets better once you can afford some support, and make sure to repair at the station before selling all of your excess supplies.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What files do I have to edit to level up a new save file when I want to start playing with mods but have quick access to all my overpowered skills?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of this game considering I managed to get past level 1. My only concern is logistics and fleet compliment. It's obvious that a Cruiser and a Destroyer is not exactly a wise group whenever you take on a carrier with bombers.

I now have that, plus Two Wolf class Frigates and a Carrier, and I'm the scourge of the pirates now.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

What files do I have to edit to level up a new save file when I want to start playing with mods but have quick access to all my overpowered skills?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4106.0 works pretty well for giving you as much stuff as you want. Helps cut out the early game get rich or die quickly, but then you're tempted to keep using it... yeah.

Bremen: That's weird... I know if I tool around in a Max Burn 3 ship, even with +2 from Navigation, most fights I don't have the option of running from. I assumed it would work on the enemy too, since so far the game's pretty good about the AI not doing stuff that the player can't. So... yeah not sure on that front. Glad you figured out how to get the ships to spawn on the left/right, it probably wasn't working for me because I was using Destroyers.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Bremen posted:

I find that once I'm at the point where all the Pirate fleets run away from me it's time to start taking on bigger prey -- attack some Hegemony patrols, Tri-Tachyon attack fleets, or Diktat garrison fleets and work your way up to the point where you can murder the Hegemony system defense fleet with its pile of Onslaughts. (Installing mods is also good, more systems and more things to kill == more fun IMO.)

Tugs are only sold in the Askonia star system (and at Kadur stations if you install the mod!), so if you've just been puttering around Corvus that's probably why you haven't found any.

Shoeless posted:

set your ship to autopilot (I forget how but you can)

Press "U".

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Don't underestimate fighters. They like to consume supplies a bit, sure, but they excellent at slowing larger ships down, averting their shields away from your high damage shots, and pouring on the damage when armor is breached. Broadswords and Gladius are excellent sluggers, interestingly enough. Thunders are good anti fighter and light frigate interceptors.

Lashers, Wolves, Brawlers, are all good frigates to have. Vigilance if you're quick on your shields (They have no point defence, but have mediums weapon mounts) General tactics for tougher fights? Stay close to your other ships. No really, it's very tempting to run off and chase a frigate in a duel but if you're outnumbered, staying near your allied ships greatly increases your chances for survival. Spreading the shield damage and being able to cover one another when it gets too high is invaluable. It seems like a no brainer, but you'd be amazed how easy it is to wander off for what looks like a juicy target.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

My go to frigate wolfpack is three Tempests with Phase Beams. They murder everything.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
The AI is really loving dumb with Auroras. The stupid goddamn things are in the middle of a clusterfuck of other cruisers (plus a battlecruiser and my battleship) and still think it's a great idea to remain in the thick of it and drop shields to get rid of some soft flux, even though it takes literally ten seconds for their bubbles to raise again. Nope, we musn't disengage and let papa Paragon take a few for the team, maybe vent flux. Nor siree.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

Thunders are also among the fastest ships/fighters in the game (somewhere along with the hound), and make one of the better chasers in the game, as well.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So playing with the group of 0.6 capable mods. I love the look and theme of the Neutrino ships, and they're all really powerful (doesn't hurt that the frigates, though hella expensive, only take 1 crew and use only 5% CR per deployment). However, I've just found a new thing. I just went to the Shadowyards place and bought a Tartarus. I equipped it with a pack of the VLRMS missiles (I think it's two Javelins and one Francesca?) in the forward slots --every few seconds I poo poo out about 20 ultra long range missiles that utterly demolish things. If they hit anything smaller than a cruiser without shields, they'll destroy it instantly; with shields they'll very likely overwhelm the shields and disable something. There's enough of them and they move fast enough that PD can't usually stop them all. And you carry enough to continuously fire salvos for at least a couple of minutes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Also I don't know if it's the new 1.1.1 version or not, but I've noticed the Phase Shunt Array on Kadur ships is actually working 95+% of the time now, which is -really- awesome and I can finally see why it's nice to have. Honestly though it might even be a bit too good with being able to store 2 charges. Get surrounded by a bunch of little fast dudes that are going for your engine? Do and instant 180! When the move around to try again, you have a charge left and cvan repeat, and I don't know how fast they recharge but I've never been in a situation where I've thought "darn it charge faster I need that ability to turn!" so just a thought. Also for guys with such a focus on Ballistic weapons I'm a little disappointed to see no Ammo Feed System ability for them. I was kind of hoping a few of their ships would have it so you could go crazy with Large and Medium Railguns at faster RoF to really mess stuff up.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
If you are new to the game try and get the hang of getting large slow pirate fleets to follow you into the big friendly fleets so they get broken into a buffalo and a couple of damaged lashers for you to pick off for easy $$$

Also the hyperspace thing was really confusing to me at first but fly to the other system and go to the hole with the shop and you can buy a couple of tugs to increase your travel speed in the big map which is good once you have worked your way up to a mule/gemini to carry all your supplies

qwako fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 22, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So are there only the two star systems now or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

wiegieman posted:

So are there only the two star systems now or what?

There are two star systems and hyperspace, I'd say a 100(200)% increase of space is pretty good!