Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My wagon "Wilma":

She's a 2004 Golf wagon, 1.9 TDI 130bhp 6-speed. Super-comfy soft suspension and has broken 71mpg average over a long journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I saw an advert for an 02 version of that when browsing for my wife, I thought the 6 speed was just a swapped gear knob, good to know it's real.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I saw an advert for an 02 version of that when browsing for my wife, I thought the 6 speed was just a swapped gear knob, good to know it's real.

It's definitely real, on the 115bhp and 130bhp TDI engines. (115s are bizarrely prone to blowing head gaskets.)

I love my wagon, it's great. Super comfy and super economical. My record is 71mpg average over a long journey. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3972006165.html

This thing has been tormenting me from Craigslist for the last few weeks. My white whale.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

e: oh god I've done this all wrong have some wagons you fuckers

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 17, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
nm

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 17, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This thing has been tormenting me from Craigslist for the last few weeks. My white whale.

Keep looking for an '05 or newer. The '04's are even more prone to timing issues.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

DropShadow posted:

Keep looking for an '05 or newer. The '04's are even more prone to timing issues.

They're all prone to timing issues.. Due to Audi's great idea of having 4 chains and 8 or 9 guides, at the back of the engine.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've got my rss reader looking for b6 s4 avants in the Bay Area; that particular one has been for sale for probably at least a year, and has not dropped in asking price much if at all.

Side note, if a blue one shows up with a manual, it's mine and I will fight you for it

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Solar Coaster posted:

Just recently did the flathood conversion on my 245. Love this wagon and will not get another car because of it.

Ha, my friend's old Volvo he put up for sale. Flatnose does look cool.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Hey guys I finally finished fixing my wagon. Read all about it here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuRVw-w6yxE

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

They're all prone to timing issues.. Due to Audi's great idea of having 4 chains and 8 or 9 guides, at the back of the engine.

Yes, but they fixed a lot of issues in '05.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Crosspostin' from the BMW thread, because I ran my 320d through a car wash:

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

All the doubters at costco said it couldnt be done and to come back with a truck.

Haters gonna hate.:whatup:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kmcormick9 posted:

All the doubters at costco said it couldnt be done and to come back with a truck.

You probably should have come back with a truck, now your car is right loving sideways.

EDIT: Actually, it's left loving sideways.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kmcormick9 posted:

gently caress the haters. The first gen V70 had literally the LARGEST hatch opening ever conceived.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So I am not sure where else to post this, but I'm looking for a new wagon so this seems like the right thread.

Currently, my girlfriend has a 2000 Outback with a little over 100k miles on it, but she hates driving it and I am not that big of a fan either, so its time for something new. I want something more modern/safer(kids in the next couple years is something that will prolly happen), but still entertaining enough that I will be happy driving it. Sadly, in the US that really limits my options. The only wagons out there seem to be Audi/VW(not interested in dealing with upkeep), Mercedes(never been a big fan), Subaru(too big, they seem closer in size to SUV's now), Volvo and BMW. So pretty much I am down to looking at BMW's(2009-ish 530/535/328xi) and maybe a Volvo(I love v70r's). I really haven't paid any attention to new Volvo's in a while, so I am not sure what to look for/stay away from. We test drove a 530xi, which both of us really liked and my brother bought one recently and seems happy with it. I still have to go check out a 535xi and a 328xi.

Anyone have experience with any of the newer BMW wagons? Or Volvo's? Am I missing any other options? It seems that all the other "wagons" on the market are either pretty much 5 door hatches or slightly smaller suv's.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This was from last winter

After a recent downpour, uhh

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Negromancer posted:

So I am not sure where else to post this, but I'm looking for a new wagon so this seems like the right thread.

Currently, my girlfriend has a 2000 Outback with a little over 100k miles on it, but she hates driving it and I am not that big of a fan either, so its time for something new. I want something more modern/safer(kids in the next couple years is something that will prolly happen), but still entertaining enough that I will be happy driving it. Sadly, in the US that really limits my options. The only wagons out there seem to be Audi/VW(not interested in dealing with upkeep), Mercedes(never been a big fan), Subaru(too big, they seem closer in size to SUV's now), Volvo and BMW. So pretty much I am down to looking at BMW's(2009-ish 530/535/328xi) and maybe a Volvo(I love v70r's). I really haven't paid any attention to new Volvo's in a while, so I am not sure what to look for/stay away from. We test drove a 530xi, which both of us really liked and my brother bought one recently and seems happy with it. I still have to go check out a 535xi and a 328xi.

Anyone have experience with any of the newer BMW wagons? Or Volvo's? Am I missing any other options? It seems that all the other "wagons" on the market are either pretty much 5 door hatches or slightly smaller suv's.

Stay away from Volvo wagons from 01 and 02 as a general rule, they put bad software in the transmissions and then told owners to never change the fluid which puts all of them on borrowed time. From 03 onward they are pretty reliable, the 04-07 Rs are awesome but about 4x the maintenance costs with more failure prone items. The redesign came in 09 and those are also pretty solid as far as I know.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

kmcormick9 posted:

As a fellow V70 owner I applaud your efforts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

This was from last winter

After a recent downpour, uhh

Time to start using the spray wand on the underside too :)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

netwerk23 posted:

As a fellow V70 owner I applaud your efforts.

I put a bunch of 8 ft deck boards in my V70...no problems =)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I wish I'd been able to get a picture when I managed to get a riding lawn mower into my 855. Those wagons are seriously cavernous inside.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Negromancer posted:

Subaru Legacy wagons?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

LloydDobler posted:

Stay away from Volvo wagons from 01 and 02 as a general rule, they put bad software in the transmissions and then told owners to never change the fluid which puts all of them on borrowed time. From 03 onward they are pretty reliable, the 04-07 Rs are awesome but about 4x the maintenance costs with more failure prone items. The redesign came in 09 and those are also pretty solid as far as I know.

Thanks for the pointers. Strangely enough, despite seattle being the home of 80's and 90's Volvo wagons, there are not very many new ones around. They few that are seem to be the XC models, which I am not sure about. I will have to try and track down some to go check out.

raffie posted:

Subaru Legacy wagons?

I might go test drive some newer legacy wagons, but the parts of the way the outback drives that she does not like are pretty common in all Legacy's. I would love to track down a GT Limited wagon, but those are pretty hard to come by it seems.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

TSX wagon?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Negromancer posted:

Thanks for the pointers. Strangely enough, despite seattle being the home of 80's and 90's Volvo wagons, there are not very many new ones around. They few that are seem to be the XC models, which I am not sure about. I will have to try and track down some to go check out.

The "regular" V70 actually got killed one or two years ago in the US market, at least recently the XC series were the only wagons Volvo sold. I guess that might not still be true but I think it was the case in, say, model year 2012.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
cool kids inc and I joined the wagon brigade tonight with a 2014 Mini Cooper Clubman S in Reef Blue. Picked it up this afternoon with 6 miles on the odometer. Just perfect for her, me, and our 107 pound Great Pyr. :v:
Pictures to come when daylight comes back around.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
Washed and Waxed

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

kmcormick9 posted:

Just after I purchased my MkIV Jetta wagon I bought a "home theater in a box" for my father from Circuit City and heard the same story from the staff: I was going to have to pay for delivery blah blah blah. Got help to load the massive box on a cart and with the seats down it slipped into the cargo bay with about 1/4 inch to spare on all sides. I think I cackled all the way home.

Square wagons rule, and I'm keeping the Jetta until they return. :colbert:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Any chance we can get that wallpaper sized? :fap:

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

SuperDucky posted:

Any chance we can get that wallpaper sized? :fap:

You flatter me, Mr Ducky.

I took two that day from slightly different angles. Take your pick
http://i.imgur.com/JrgIs6y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8LsDBfk.jpg

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

netwerk23 posted:

I picked both. The different filenames will have them show up at different times in my wallpaper rotation. :v:

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Kenny Rogers posted:

I picked both. The different filenames will have them show up at different times in my wallpaper rotation. :v:

I got some funny looks in the park taking pictures but I'm very pleased you're enjoying them. 2004 Volvo V70R, Black sapphire and Gobi interior (tan). A host of upgrades, the biggest being the ViVA Motorsports FMIC. 128k Florida miles.

Looking to the future, I am interested in the V50 Hybrid, if they bring it over. My only concern would be the reduced interior space vs. the V70, but I'd keep the 70 for IKEA trips. My wife is interested in a Tesla X, 7 seater, in a year or two. CTS-V's are slowly coming down in price, but the maintenance and gas costs are steep. There are always fantasy EU-only Audi wagons to dream about too, maybe if I hit the PowerBall.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

netwerk23 posted:

Thanks! New phone background ahoy!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The wife and I have been (very) casually shopping for a wagon to replace her Civic. So far we've thought about:

Volvo V50 T5 (nice interior, but Volvo gremlins make it a dubious value over a slightly slower lower trim Focus or Mazda 3)

Legacy GT wagon (more exciting to drive if I can talk her into 5MT, better cargo room than the others, prolific anecdotes about them blowing up are slightly scary, might be too similar to my Saabaru to be interesting)

IS300 Sportcross (I really like the way these drive, but they aren't that fast by today's standards and are really thirsty for the comparative performance - I'm not a fan of the preppy racer cluster, shift buttons and lever, and, like the Volvo, it doesn't hold that much cargo)

E46 touring is probably out because neither of us trust her to pay attention to the car and clue me in when it's time for some maintenance or preventive action.

I've found some really good examples of the first 3, but for some reason I'm captivated by the IS, probably because it's not something you see everyday. 16/23 for a small car that takes 7-7.5 seconds to 60 feels kind of stupid, though.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

blk posted:

16/23 for a small car that takes 7-7.5 seconds to 60 feels kind of stupid, though.

Yeah... that's because it is. Real shame, too, because it's a decent car otherwise.

Sounds like you're avoiding the bigger wagons (mpg concern as well?)? Before we got the prius my wife was driving a Dodge Magnum that she stole out of from under me right after buying and proceeded to slowly ruin. It had tons of space, great safety (ABS, Stability Control, Brake Assist, could be had with side airbags, plus 3800lbs), averaged 22 with her driving and 24 with me driving. I got high 25s, low 26s mpg on the highway. Not impressive for me but for the size of the car it sure makes is300 mpg look dumb. No manual and while it can be made to handle easily, it won't accelerate great with the v6s unless you put some $$ into it. I figure that has about a 17% chance of fitting your wants but it didn't cost me anything to type it.

Legacy GT Wagons with a 5spd are drat near unicorn status. As far as it being too close to your Saabaru to be interesting, i'd be more worried about the Legacy Wagon making you lose interest in the Saabaru.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Vigo327 posted:

Yeah... that's because it is. Real shame, too, because it's a decent car otherwise.

Sounds like you're avoiding the bigger wagons (mpg concern as well?)? Before we got the prius my wife was driving a Dodge Magnum that she stole out of from under me right after buying and proceeded to slowly ruin. It had tons of space, great safety (ABS, Stability Control, Brake Assist, could be had with side airbags, plus 3800lbs), averaged 22 with her driving and 24 with me driving. I got high 25s, low 26s mpg on the highway. Not impressive for me but for the size of the car it sure makes is300 mpg look dumb. No manual and while it can be made to handle easily, it won't accelerate great with the v6s unless you put some $$ into it. I figure that has about a 17% chance of fitting your wants but it didn't cost me anything to type it.

Legacy GT Wagons with a 5spd are drat near unicorn status. As far as it being too close to your Saabaru to be interesting, i'd be more worried about the Legacy Wagon making you lose interest in the Saabaru.

What about the SRT8 version of the Magnum?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Have I not posted my second wagon? I guess not.

240K mile 1987 Mazda 323 Wagon. I'm the second owner. The earliest ones were a lot different than the much more common 88-89 models, lacking rear shoulder belts (fixed by TSB), and had real Bosch L-Jetronic EFI. It doesn't even have a check engine light!

Click picture for link to its AI thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

toplitzin posted:

What about the SRT8 version of the Magnum?

A very different car. Much heavier to drive, but fun it is own way.

• Locked thread