Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The primary antagonist is the human heart.

So deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which Cersei? Book Cersei is an irredeemable monster. Show Cersei, thanks to the new scenes they've thrown in since they're not restricting themselves to POV characters, less so. One of the most interesting elements of watching the show has been seeing the Cerseis diverge. I'm curious whether they'll bring her back to monster mode at some point or keep making her more and more sympathetic. If they want to go total evil, the obvious moment would be after Joffrey kicks it, but I could also see them playing that as "aggrieved mother" like they did Cat's final moments at the end of the Red Wedding.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The primary antagonist is George RR Martin. It is by his will alone events are set into motion. It is by the sauce of buffalos that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

The Primary Antagonist is the entire Aristocracy and the system that means if one rich guy kills one other rich guy, it's suddenly perfectly OK to fling a hundred thousand innocent farmers and fishermen into a meatgrinder. Even the "good guys" are willing to set in motion events which will kill tens of thousands for the sake of one or two posh people.

Basically, the only good guys are the Nights Watch.

Pre-Stoneheart Brotherhood were pretty good.

:beric:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The primary antagonist is George RR Martin. It is by his will alone events are set into motion. It is by the sauce of buffalos that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning.

The final book will give new meaning to "death of the author"

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The problem with both Cersei and Jamie is that they're technically intelligent people but have very little self-awareness, thus they end up doing all this short-sighted, boneheaded poo poo but they still think they're clever because they can get away with it for the most part. Jamie getting his hand lopped off forced some introspection on him, and I think he's finally starting to realize how much of his actions were actually influenced by his subconscious and unfounded assumptions; he had to have his identity stripped away to see what he truly was.

Cersei might be getting to that place as well: she's lost her power, her dignity, what she sees as her beauty, and Jamie. With everything that mattered to her gone, it'll be up to her to see if she can make an identity from what's left, or retreat further into bitterness. Unfortunately she's always been more petty, insecure, and cruel than her siblings. I think there's a chance for her, but it's not a very good one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's likely Cersei will die before long so there's not much time for her to be redeemed.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Maybe if Cerci had not just been handed the keys to Ser Robert Strong. Now that she has immunity from prosecution I think she is going to get worse instead of better.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Blind Melon posted:

Maybe if Cerci had not just been handed the keys to Ser Robert Strong. Now that she has immunity from prosecution I think she is going to get worse instead of better.

I really want Cleganebowl, though I know it would wrap up multiple important threads a little too cleanly for that card to be played in the beginning/middle of TWOW. Cersei's immediate future is one of the few things where I can't bet money on what is going to happen, but I trust GRRM to see things through in the best way possible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crisco Kid posted:

The problem with both Cersei and Jamie is that they're technically intelligent people but have very little self-awareness, thus they end up doing all this short-sighted, boneheaded poo poo but they still think they're clever because they can get away with it for the most part. Jamie getting his hand lopped off forced some introspection on him, and I think he's finally starting to realize how much of his actions were actually influenced by his subconscious and unfounded assumptions; he had to have his identity stripped away to see what he truly was.

Cersei might be getting to that place as well: she's lost her power, her dignity, what she sees as her beauty, and Jamie. With everything that mattered to her gone, it'll be up to her to see if she can make an identity from what's left, or retreat further into bitterness. Unfortunately she's always been more petty, insecure, and cruel than her siblings. I think there's a chance for her, but it's not a very good one.

She still has Tommen.

Maybe she'll get him that lion they keep in Casterly Rock and she'll get eaten.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Merlinicus posted:

Is there actually a consensus that Cersei is redeemable? I wouldn't be surprised if it not only never happens, but she eventually becomes the primary antagonist to the final central plot arc.

No. She just needs to loving die. She's done far too much stuff during the course of the story to be redeemable as far as I am concerned.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Redemption isn't really a thing in this story. As long as she is interesting and the plot allows she should stay.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I feel bad for Cersei, not because her actions deserve pity but because there are occasional hints that she could have been a much better person had things happened slightly differently. I think any "redemption arc" is going to have to involve Cersei going as low as she can go and confronting past mistakes. I don't think she will be able to atone for all her actions but she may be able to adjust her future behavior into a slightly more sane direction.

I'm not sure how much worse Cersei's paranoia and insanity can get. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go but up.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Cersei will ever be redeemed, I just don't think she was put in a position to be anything besides a slimeball and that isn't her fault

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

QuoProQuid posted:

I think any "redemption arc" is going to have to involve Cersei going as low as she can go and confronting past mistakes.
I agree. She should climb into a well

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Fatkraken posted:

The Primary Antagonist is the entire Aristocracy and the system that means if one rich guy kills one other rich guy, it's suddenly perfectly OK to fling a hundred thousand innocent farmers and fishermen into a meatgrinder. Even the "good guys" are willing to set in motion events which will kill tens of thousands for the sake of one or two posh people.

Basically, the only good guys are the Nights Watch.

The High Sparrow. Faith-led peasant revolution? Sign me up. Westeros will be a workingman's paradise until Arya leads an army of Others to extinguish humanity.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The High Sparrow. Faith-led peasant revolution? Sign me up. Westeros will be a workingman's paradise until Arya leads an army of Others to extinguish humanity.

Except that the High Sparrow will burn/hang the entire North for being filthy demon lovers. I agree that he seems like a comparatively good guy now, but that's mostly just because he is giving Cersei a bad time. He's already got a quasi-Inquisition going, it wont be long until the Faith starts burning heretics. Although burning is more R'hllor's thing.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I don't know about that. I mean, I'm as "hurrrrr religion is dum" as any goon, but I haven't seen any evidence that The High Sparrow wants to launch a religious crusade against the North. The sparrow movement seems different than the other contenders for power in that it actually give a poo poo about the peasantry. Even if that's a lie, it's hard to see THS as worse than the secular alternatives. And I assume he's working with/for Varys, which would be some check on potential abuse.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 22, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd never considered if the High Sparrow was working with Varys. That might make sense as one of Varys's efforts to destabilize the contenders for the Iron Throne in advance of Aegon's arrival. He could even be trying to set up a parallel to the original Aegon the Conqueror's arrival in Westeros, where the Faith of the Seven endorsed him - if the High Sparrow used his growing grassroots power to deem the Lannisters and Tyrells ungodly and call for the return of the Targaryens, Aegon might find his road to the iron throne considerably eased.

And when it comes to aristocracy being good or bad, I'd say it's mostly the system that's to blame. Sure, the especially evil and abusive nobles are still evil and abusive, but the ones who mean well and try to be good are forced to play the game whether they want to or not. It's what happens when your authority and legitimacy springs from a perception of personal strength and leadership, especially when you mingle family life and politics - not going to war to avenge your father and put the rightful heir on the throne makes you look personally weak, which could also result in rebellion or invasion. It's better to judge nobles (as with pretty much everyone in ASoIaF) by the good they try to do despite the limits of their position in society.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

I feel bad for Cersei, not because her actions deserve pity but because there are occasional hints that she could have been a much better person had things happened slightly differently.

Could you name one because I'm drawing a blank here.

If Cerci being Cerci is not her fault than nothing anyone does is ever their fault. Ramsay can blame his parents and Reek. The Mountain his headaches. Tywin his childhood trauma from his father. And so on and forth.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cersei doesn't simply make "bad choices". She's not Ned or Catelyn, doing what seems right at the time but is kind of boneheaded since you have more information than they do. Cersei makes "bad choices" because she's delusional, arrogant, and more than a little ignorant. She makes bad choices because she's willfully incapable of making good ones.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

She also gets off on ordering people to murder puppies.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Literally.

She also told Jamie to kill Arya.

I don't even try to spell names right anymore. iOs autocorrect has ruined me.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Rewatching the show with a Summer Child at the moment, it's interesting seeing his reactions. He was spoiled on Ned Dies 'cause of the internet, and Drogo dropping dead from a boo-boo, he also knew there would be dragons and had picked up a few bits and bobs about the second season but is a complete blank slate for season 3, which we've just started.

Hand chop elicited a good reaction, we'll be doing Drogon fucks up Astapor tonight and probably get to the Bear and the Maiden Fair today or tomorrow, and the Red Wedding before the end of the week. He keeps asking "where is this? What's going on?" during the Theon bits which I suppose is what they were going for and he hasn't twigged that Barry is the bastard of Bolton. He also thinks that maybe Dany is going to get some ships and team up with the Starks...

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 23, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

He also thinks that maybe Dany is going to get some ships and team up with the Starks...

It can still happen!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fatkraken posted:

He also thinks that maybe Dany is going to get some ships and team up with the Starks...

Not the first time I've heard that. I hope the mass-crucifixions and banishing Jorah will get some of the :angel: Khaleesi~~ :angel: people to rename their daughters to something normal. Not all, but some.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

he hasn't twigged that Barry is the bastard of Bolton.

Ser Barristan is Roose's bastard?! :aaaaa:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ser Barristan is Roose's bastard?! :aaaaa:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Someone really needs to buy Alfie Allen one of those.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So... he wears a shirt with his own name on it?

Man, I don't get Game of Thrones at all.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

MrBims posted:

Not the first time I've heard that. I hope the mass-crucifixions and banishing Jorah will get some of the :angel: Khaleesi~~ :angel: people to rename their daughters to something normal. Not all, but some.

You don't think those Meereen slavers who nailed those kids up didn't deserve what came to them? Sure Khaleesi may be a bit of a goofy name, but people who did that have already seen that Dany has a capacity for cruel justice. See Astapor, Mirri Maz Duur, etc etc.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The audience has a lot of tolerance for brutal justice so long as the character appears competent, strong and has momentum on their side. So far in the show Dany's spent the whole time clawing her way up from nothing, constantly on the move, growing her army and killing every rear end in a top hat that gets in her way - all fairly straightforward and entertaining for a TV audience, especially when anyone else with a shred of audience sympathy gets stalemated and shanked. The second season and Qarth was a drag for a lot of people I know, but season 3 and probably all of season 4 are pretty much the peak of Dany's material.

It'll really only be when/if the whole Mereen situation sets in and then drags on that people will start to lose patience. It was bad enough for book-readers, but TV has an especially hard time with arcs that are deliberately frustrating and meant to show the weaknesses of a character (reference: people annoyed last season at the Ramsay and Theon scenes because they succeeded at dragging on and being disorienting). I'll be interested to see what they do to salvage that particular arc, although maybe if they only have to stretch it over a single season before Dany's The Winds of Winter material it'll just be like Qarth 2.0.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've said it before, but politicking, intrigue, and backstabbing are this show's bread and butter and I expect the Meereen stuff to play much better on TV.

Also if you read AFFC and ADWD combined, Meereen is one of the many problems with the two books that melts away. It actually moves at a steady, escalating pace, and the TV show won't cockblock us by ending right before everything explodes in the giant battle that we've been building to.

Honestly the #1 fault with those books was the dumbshit decision to separate them out by character.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

CapnAndy posted:

I've said it before, but politicking, intrigue, and backstabbing are this show's bread and butter and I expect the Meereen stuff to play much better on TV.

Also if you read AFFC and ADWD combined, Meereen is one of the many problems with the two books that melts away. It actually moves at a steady, escalating pace, and the TV show won't cockblock us by ending right before everything explodes in the giant battle that we've been building to.

Honestly the #1 fault with those books was the dumbshit decision to separate them out by character.

I particularly like the contrast between Cersei and Dany, in that both are loving everything up but only one of them is fully aware of it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

CapnAndy posted:

I don't have an e-reader, so I'm actually tempted to buy some cheap secondhand copies of the paperback editions of AFFC and ADWD and do a razorblade-and-binding-glue physical version of Ball of Beasts. It would probably end up as three volumes.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CapnAndy posted:

I don't think that was the biggest problem. The larger problem was mainly in ADWD cutting out two climactic battles/scenes to finish the book. If they'd moved like 100 pages of ADWD back to AFFC and then put those two battles back into ADWD, I think things would have evened out quite well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fatkraken posted:

I don't have an e-reader, so I'm actually tempted to buy some cheap secondhand copies of the paperback editions of AFFC and ADWD and do a razorblade-and-binding-glue physical version of Ball of Beasts. It would probably end up as three volumes.

Do you have a smartphone or tablet you can use? Because something like the Kindle app or Stanza works fine.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I don't know about that. I mean, I'm as "hurrrrr religion is dum" as any goon, but I haven't seen any evidence that The High Sparrow wants to launch a religious crusade against the North. The sparrow movement seems different than the other contenders for power in that it actually give a poo poo about the peasantry. Even if that's a lie, it's hard to see THS as worse than the secular alternatives. And I assume he's working with/for Varys, which would be some check on potential abuse.

The High Sparrow working with Varys is something I hadn't considered, but actually makes a lot of sense. I'm quite looking forward to (hopefully) finding out what he's been up to for the past two books.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

webmeister posted:

Do you have a smartphone or tablet you can use? Because something like the Kindle app or Stanza works fine.

I have a broken laptop that I've repurposed as a desktop and Nothing Else. But I rather like physical books, and it would be a fun little craft project if I can find copies for super cheap.

Me and the Summer Child should be getting to the Red wedding tonight. He's pretty sure that Mrs Robb (can't remember her show name) is gonna bite it, but I don't think he's prepared for just how much of a disaster is around the corner.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 25, 2013

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Dolash posted:

The audience has a lot of tolerance for brutal justice so long as the character appears competent, strong and has momentum on their side. So far in the show Dany's spent the whole time clawing her way up from nothing, constantly on the move, growing her army and killing every rear end in a top hat that gets in her way - all fairly straightforward and entertaining for a TV audience, especially when anyone else with a shred of audience sympathy gets stalemated and shanked. The second season and Qarth was a drag for a lot of people I know, but season 3 and probably all of season 4 are pretty much the peak of Dany's material.

It'll really only be when/if the whole Mereen situation sets in and then drags on that people will start to lose patience. It was bad enough for book-readers, but TV has an especially hard time with arcs that are deliberately frustrating and meant to show the weaknesses of a character (reference: people annoyed last season at the Ramsay and Theon scenes because they succeeded at dragging on and being disorienting). I'll be interested to see what they do to salvage that particular arc, although maybe if they only have to stretch it over a single season before Dany's The Winds of Winter material it'll just be like Qarth 2.0.

I think the show will treat the whole atmosphere around her differently. Just so far, the show's managed to take out a lot of Dany's poor decisions and frustrations and instead portray her as a Christ-type superwoman.

In the books, I got the impression that she went from broken little girl, to a brief moment of belonging as Drogo's Khaleesi, and then after that everything goes downhill as she uses her dragons over and over to bargain for and show power and fucks up every decision that she has to make herself. As the story progresses further she becomes a sad, sad stereotype with her over-emotional outbursts and ~~Darrrioooo <3~.

The show's done a good job at making her likeable and a general force to be reckoned with. The only bitterness is that we know "the truth" from reading the books. That's what I think her storyline is going to be one of the biggest departures from the book. Not 'what' events happen, but how they happen, and how we are supposed to feel about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

In the books, I got the impression that she went from broken little girl, to a brief moment of belonging as Drogo's Khaleesi, and then after that everything goes downhill as she uses her dragons over and over to bargain for and show power and fucks up every decision that she has to make herself. As the story progresses further she becomes a sad, sad stereotype with her over-emotional outbursts and ~~Darrrioooo <3~.

I think you're being a little harsh on the fucks up every major decision. Shes actually not doing too badly as far as decision by people in power go in these books.

• Locked thread