Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

VTNewb posted:

Everyone is telling me to skip the 350! Dunno what to do!

I don't think the difference is going to be huge but unless you need to race in a specific 250 class... go for the 350. More power, negligible weight difference.

I never really thought my 250 didn't have enough power or that my new 450 doesn't have enough so I don't see how a 350 can't be near perfect.

I'd have gotten one if I didn't have such a hard on for getting a 450 & wanting it to be a bit better prepared for road course/SM track duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Leaving the 2 stroke fold?

Sort of! I have a two stroke trials bike and a good-ol KDX 220. I'm going to do more enduros and turkey runs this year (besides my normal contention in the hare scramble series), so I decided to make pump gas easier on myself. I also am very tired of changing out jetting. I'm a lunatic when it comes to crisp jetting so I end up in the bike monthly.

My biggest decision for the next year is whether to make my race series J-Day Offroad (two 30 minute motos through woods with a couple jumps), or continue the quest for a NETRA championship jacket in the standard 2 hour scramble format. I'm undoubtedly better at the J-Day format, but I think that's just a fitness thing.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I don't think the difference is going to be huge but unless you need to race in a specific 250 class... go for the 350. More power, negligible weight difference.

It would mean a change to the 'Open' class, which would undoubtedly mean some 'fake' success since it has a quarter of the entrants of the 250 class. I think I'll do the 350 anyway so I can fill my trophy case with hollow victories.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

you weigh like 140 soaking wet. For you a 350 would be a nice trail bike... not so much a race bike.

My 350 is heavy enough to tire me out after a race. I'm pretty sure you would be better off with the 250. Guys that say the weight difference is negligible between 250 and 350 are full of it. The 350 weighs almost as much as the 450.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

God damnit guys you're all making this so hard.

:siren: Also, I gained like 17 pounds since I shattered my kneecap :siren:

Can't wait to work that off.

I did get back on two wheels for the first time in four and a half months yesterday. I rode my mountain bike on flat roads for about a mile. Ever revolution was very painful, but I made great progress in lengthening all the weird connective tissue in my knee capsul.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Kony Kid posted:

you weigh like 140 soaking wet. For you a 350 would be a nice trail bike... not so much a race bike.

My 350 is heavy enough to tire me out after a race. I'm pretty sure you would be better off with the 250. Guys that say the weight difference is negligible between 250 and 350 are full of it. The 350 weighs almost as much as the 450.

250 XCF-W 105.5 kg (232.6 lb.)
350 XCF-W 107 kg (236 lb.)
450 XC-W 111 kg (245 lb.)
Plus 14 pounds for fuel.

The 350 splits the difference pretty well, but it's closer to the 250 in weight than the 450.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Zool posted:

The 350 splits the difference pretty well, but it's closer to the 250 in weight than the 450.

Was talking to the editor of trail rider magazine about the difference between 250/350 and I got this:

Hey! Glad to hear you are feeling better!
The 2014 XCF-W 250.....yes, it's a great bike and a huge improvement from last years steaming pile -- especially for the novice/single track rider. It definitely eats up the gnarly terrain but will feel heavier/more planted (worth it, IMO) than what you are used to. Stock suspension is plush, lots of bottom end pull from the motor but you will have to wring the snot out of it to make it go fast. Gearing is 13/52 and I wouldn't hesitate to run 13/51....maybe even 13/50 if the terrain were fast. Brooks Hamilton may still have the test bike and I'm sure he'd let you try it, even if it's just around his driveway. I can put a bug in his ear if you want.

The 350xcfw is great...no real drawback except its a bit heavy in the tight stuff. I think you'd like the 350 better.

KN

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Any recommendations for a 2-stroke cylinder repair/replating shop? Any experience with millennium technologies?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

meh. just trying to help, based on personal experience. No offense but i'm not 1) from the Pacific Northwest, 2) riding amateur MX, 3) reading specs off the internet.

Another point I'd like to mention: After being strictly 4t for years I've vowed to buy a 250xc for my next bike after I'm done with this 350. It's hard to beat the weight advantage when racing offroad.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios, I was just interested in what the actual weight difference was, and thought I'd share it. No idea what you mean by points 1,2, and 3.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah looking at next bike to be a 250XC or Beta 250RR. Mighhhhtt go with a 250XC-F but not positive on that yet, going to ride them back to back soon I think and see.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Silver posted:

Yeah looking at next bike to be a 250XC or Beta 250RR. Mighhhhtt go with a 250XC-F but not positive on that yet, going to ride them back to back soon I think and see.

Why the XC over the XC-W? IIRC the XC is basically the same as the SX with a slightly larger fuel tank. The XC-Ws give you a 6th gear, softer suspension, and wider ratios.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zool posted:

Any recommendations for a 2-stroke cylinder repair/replating shop? Any experience with millennium technologies?
I used a place called Powerseal. In PA I think. It cost $300 something. I hate that bike now but it seems to run fine.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Zool posted:

Why the XC over the XC-W? IIRC the XC is basically the same as the SX with a slightly larger fuel tank. The XC-Ws give you a 6th gear, softer suspension, and wider ratios.

Linkage. It's not so much sx and still geared towards cross country vs. super cross, but not as toned down as the XC-W. Had a thread going about it on ktmtalk and pretty much everyone said go with the XC. And again, the Beta 250RR still in that mix.

Also on racing, J-day. I would love if we had a J-day series going around here. Keep hearing from people that we will be getting at least one soon, but still waiting.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Linkage. It's not so much sx and still geared towards cross country vs. super cross, but not as toned down as the XC-W. Had a thread going about it on ktmtalk and pretty much everyone said go with the XC. And again, the Beta 250RR still in that mix.

Xc is perfect for mscrambling, ktmtalk is right. W is better for noobs because it is more forgiving after you're dead tired due to flywheel. I'm getting a W so I can enduro easier this year as you need a plate and I hate linkages because of the maintenenance.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I went and did myself a therapy bike ride while Anna rode the 250XC around a local woods track. I think I'll be riding in a couple weeks!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
yeah, it's a ways off so we'll see. Right now just sticking with what I got. Also got into the mountain bike fold to hopefully drop this gut and also get more endurance for dirtibkes I still wear out way to fast, but a lot of it is I'm trying way to hard. Gotta relax lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Looks like a psudo-local dealer has the following:

2013 KTM 250 XCF for $7000
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W for $8000

I might just get the 250 and buy the headlight kit, because it's nearly $2000 savings from a new XCF-W and almost the same bike. I can put that $2000 into suspension and hard parts.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Thought the new XCF-W came with a lot of upgrades now. Lighter, different power delivery, fan, bunch of other stuff. I'll try and find the review. This past Sunday was fun times riding with bros.

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfVSfktxvM

Also no, that's not me riding, buddy with my go pro on a chesty. I'm later in the vid riding slow with him following me.

edit: Also, bro riding in the video is missing his left foot, has a prosthetic, really fast with it too. We call him McNubbin.

Silver fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 18, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Thought the new XCF-W came with a lot of upgrades now. Lighter, different power delivery, fan, bunch of other stuff. I'll try and find the review. This past Sunday was fun times riding with bros.

Yah, but that's just because the XCF-W was the previous model, this year they've put it in line with the SX and XC. XC-W might have the fan though. Biggest change for 2014 is the larger capacity ignition system. Find the review though, cuz I'd love to read it.

Also they added this to the hare scramble my girlfriend will be competing in on sunday (lol).

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Looks like a psudo-local dealer has the following:

2013 KTM 250 XCF for $7000
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W for $8000

I might just get the 250 and buy the headlight kit, because it's nearly $2000 savings from a new XCF-W and almost the same bike. I can put that $2000 into suspension and hard parts.

I know the XC is a 5-speed, does it have the same ratios as the sxf? If so, that's probably the most important difference. I guess you don't do a lot of 100mph desert riding, so the wide ratio 6-speed may not be a big benefit. I get a little tired of rowing through the gears, but I have the old close ratio 6-speed.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Dirt rider review: https://www.dirtrider.com/features/first-test-2014-ktm-off-road-models/

Yeah, I'm thinking next year new bike. I need to get some new bars as I bent the pro tapers the original owner had on their and I'm currently running some stock 990 bars lol. Having faster guys/guys who know their stuff ride your bike helps. Had two people ride it and tell me the bend sets way you way to far back. So going to check stock ones tonight and possibly put those back on. Bummer, I just loving put some new grips on these. ARG.

Edit: I'm half tempted to just go "Welp, need new bars, might as well just get a '14 bike, eff it" lol.

edit, edit: "The all-new KTM 250 XCF-W features a lighter frame, redesigned 6-speed engine and several major tweaks over the 2013 version." Which makes me kinda lean away from the 250XC and look at the XCF-W.

Silver fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 18, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My biggest problem with new bikes is you need to then spend another $1000 to get all the poo poo it should have come with anyway.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I got a skid plate, hand guards, 2 oil changes worth of filters and synthetic thrown in before I signed. That way it's ready to go from the gate.

I've added a Scotts to the XC-W since then, and a set of Supermoto kit, but else wise I haven't changed a thing.

I'll probably get the suspension sprung for me at some point but right now the bike is so good and I'm so OK that there's not much motivation to bother. I need to get a lot better before it matters.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah, but most of that cost is suspension. Get case guard, bark busters, pipe guard if two smoke, and bash plate, and you're pretty much ready to hit the trails. Once you start going into suspension setup/respring that's a pretty big hit. Then if you go with rekluse. Then other little stuff like graphics and whatnot.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome idea to include it in the negotiations.

Also Spiffness, I used to think just like you regarding the lack of need for suspension work. Milage always varies (maybe you're the right body size for the stock suspension), but it makes riding SO MUCH EASIER, and massively less tiring.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm a big believer too, I've spent large amounts in getting my track bikes setup properly... which is most of the reason why my dirt bike isn't, just no budget for it.

My last two bikes were MX bikes I was riding 90% woods on, and when I took the XC-W out for the first time the changes in how the stock suspension works (compared to the MX bikes) was such a massive improvement in my eyes I'm still able to ride that high and put off getting the suspension setup proper for my weight, which is out of the target zone for the stock clicker ranges for sure.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to MX practice today and finally cleared the triple I tried in the race video I posted last week. :woop: I was pretty much blind coming up to it pacing another rider as he roosted the poo poo out of me. Felt pretty good to finally make it, the next try I didn't get enough drive and cased it again.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gonna pull the trigger on a '14 250 XCF-W. Decided the open class on the 350 would be way too boring.

EDIT: As chance may have it TrailRider just did a review:

http://trailridermagazine.uberflip.com/i/174639

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 19, 2013

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Congrats! Nothing beats the feeling of a new bike.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

More jday shenanigans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuC_Uaw2iE

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 21, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Gonna pull the trigger on a '14 250 XCF-W. Decided the open class on the 350 would be way too boring.

EDIT: As chance may have it TrailRider just did a review:

http://trailridermagazine.uberflip.com/i/174639

Sweet, the class entries must be totally opposite of what we have over here. It seems like all the fast guys here are 300's and 450's racing in open.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New hotness:

Invasion:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Sexxay! That's the 14 right?

p.s. weak sauce leaving the 2 stoke fold, wuss.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A fine choice! XC-W crew represent!

They just give you the trophy when you show up on one of those

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Sexxay! That's the 14 right?

p.s. weak sauce leaving the 2 stoke fold, wuss.

Yep, a 2014! Going to register it on Monday and do easy turkey run style rides until my leg strengthens.

The exhaust is god drat huge. I imagine lots of power and weight savings come with aftermarket.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

VTNewb posted:

New hotness:

Invasion:

Nice bike, the stock exhaust is choked to hell and back. A week after one leaves the in the back of a truck, the owner is back for a pipe.
Weak, why didn't the dealer put on the hand guards? Three questions - is the pen in the KTM bag, how scratched is the frame behind where the footpeg springs, and why the gun on your table?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Zool posted:

Sweet, the class entries must be totally opposite of what we have over here. It seems like all the fast guys here are 300's and 450's racing in open.

This is kind of my point from before. Terrain is totally different in the mid-atlantic/north-east. Fast guys here run 250 2t or even 250 4t. 450s are considered play/trail bikes unless you moto.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Nice bike, the stock exhaust is choked to hell and back. A week after one leaves the in the back of a truck, the owner is back for a pipe.
Weak, why didn't the dealer put on the hand guards? Three questions - is the pen in the KTM bag, how scratched is the frame behind where the footpeg springs, and why the gun on your table?

the stock flag hand guards are worthless and would be removed anyway? Also i'm curious as to why you're asking about the frame scratching? do you think they rode it around before the sale?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Went to a party hosted by MosesPLester and had some very fast toast. Here is a super attractive picture of me enjoying it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

Three questions - is the pen in the KTM bag, how scratched is the frame behind where the footpeg springs, and why the gun on your table?

1) yes
2) no scratches
3) Vermont has no gun laws

Also, that's an airsoft gun I use to win petty arguments