Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

it's proof that you can have an extended, picard-focused plot without making him a dumb angry action hero but then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

it's proof that you can have an extended, picard-focused plot without making him a dumb angry action hero but then

no it's cool i like seeing a man in his 60s get into fist fights and swing from tubes like an orangutan. that's what star trek really is at its core.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
To be fair Patrick Stewart is pretty ripped for someone his age.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

startrek enterprise was added to netflix recently so I started watching it last night mostly out of morbid curiosity. I can't believe they started off the whole thing with stupid time travel bullshit. I didn't even make it halfway through the first episode.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dur posted:

startrek enterprise was added to netflix recently so I started watching it last night mostly out of morbid curiosity. I can't believe they started off the whole thing with stupid time travel bullshit. I didn't even make it halfway through the first episode.

Dude that Vulcan babe and the chief engineer rub decontamination oil on each other like all the time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Smythe posted:

Dude that Vulcan babe and the chief engineer rub decontamination oil on each other like all the time

no that was only in the first episode because the backlash was that quick and intense

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rigberry enema posted:

no it's cool i like seeing a man in his 60s get into fist fights and swing from tubes like an orangutan. that's what star trek really is at its core.

this is a future where everybody has access to health technology that is to us magic, and star trek has always had stupid hokey action stuff in it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dur posted:

i've tried to get through enterprise several times and i can't do it. the most success i've had was just cherry picking a fan list of the best eps.

unsurprisingly every single "best" ep is in seasons 3 and 4, after they shook up writing and production. even the best enterprise episodes are second rate tho

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

always had stupid hokey action stuff in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPuOMDpiNtM

put this one on mute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZM7Af_DOnQ

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

this is a future where everybody has access to health technology that is to us magic, and star trek has always had stupid hokey action stuff in it.

one of the things TNG improved over TOS was making the show's leads more civilized.

kirk was always getting into fights or drinking saurian brandy. picard and riker were characterized as being more cerebral types, thinkin their problems through. even worf the dude obsessed with klingon battle academy or whatever is a real restrained dude

it was really weird to watch the tng movies and see picard become kirk mk. II

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 21, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
one of the things i really liked about both tng and ds9 is that the powerful and important male leaders are shown talking to other people and listening to them and giving a poo poo about their advice

tos really had none of that. if anyone ever talked it was to explain what was going on. and voyager. jesus. voyager would have literally been better as a silent film ala chaplin*

*in this version of the show neelix or the token borg lady is the star and the federation types are supporting cast

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't remember which movie review it was (first contact?) but red letter media bashed them on this pretty good. it's kinda depressing to watch them because they're really not all that vicious; it's just a guy who is a lifelong dedicated fan describing why they're insulting.

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

cool vid thx

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Flash z0rdon posted:

cool vid thx

yw, nobody escapes . nobody

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

one of the things TNG improved over TOS was making the show's leads more civilized.

kirk was always getting into fights or drinking saurian brandy. picard and riker were characterized as being more cerebral types, thinkin their problems through. even worf the dude obsessed with klingon battle academy or whatever is a real restrained dude

agreed, actually, though i do think there's still room in tng/ds9 for stupid action stuff every now and then.

i've always looked at tos as being more the rough/tumble cowboy era, when humanity was in a weaker position relative to the rest of the galaxy. by the time of tng the feds are a superpower juggernaut. still, they can't quite shake the vestiges of our cowboy past. (basically the federation is space-america)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

one of the things i really liked about both tng and ds9 is that the powerful and important male leaders are shown talking to other people and listening to them and giving a poo poo about their advice

huh, haven't thought that before but now that it's pointed out it is pretty notable

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tos really had none of that. if anyone ever talked it was to explain what was going on. and voyager. jesus. voyager would have literally been better as a silent film ala chaplin*

voyager is amazing in how quickly and thoroughly they were able to poo poo up a pretty good premise

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

(basically the federation is space-america)

not an accident

duTrieux. posted:

voyager is amazing in how quickly and thoroughly they were able to poo poo up a pretty good premise

"year of hell" (s04e08-e09) is the only good voyager episode because they actually follow through on the original premise in a meaningful way. (edit: it is also possibly the only voyager ep to have any characterization or conflict between crew members)

then at the end of the two-parter someone presses a button and it's all un-done so they can return to monster-of-the-week bullshit

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 21, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rigberry enema posted:

i don't remember which movie review it was (first contact?) but red letter media bashed them on this pretty good. it's kinda depressing to watch them because they're really not all that vicious; it's just a guy who is a lifelong dedicated fan describing why they're insulting.

unlike red letter media, i actually like the next-gen movies.

but they are not what they could have been, not by a long shot

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

duTrieux. posted:

i watched the first whole episode of enterprise and then when the second episode started with the same opening theme song i quit, which is farther than i got in voyager

season one episode one opening credits, the warp doodads are shown to be mounted on a hinge welp thanks for saving me from watching 7 seasons of this garbage

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"year of hell" (s04e08-e09) is the only good voyager episode because they actually follow through on the original premise in a meaningful way. (edit: it is also possibly the only voyager ep to have any characterization or conflict between crew members)

then at the end of the two-parter someone presses a button and it's all un-done so they can return to monster-of-the-week bullshit

yeah voyager's premise is better suited for lost-era character conflict driven long plot arc tv a decade later

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

stargate universe is a better voyager than voyager

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
cbs: beginning Vonnegut binge, first time reading him I suck

just finished cats cradle which I liked now starting s5

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Eegah posted:

cbs: beginning Vonnegut binge, first time reading him I suck

just finished cats cradle which I liked now starting s5

block out a few days on your calendar for your post-mother night crushing depression

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Slaughter house five owns

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The funny thing is that the TOS movies deal with Kirk aging, some better than others where the TNG movie deal with Picard getting punchier.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

LP97S posted:

The funny thing is that the TOS movies deal with Kirk aging, some better than others where the TNG movie deal with Picard getting punchier.

but he shows vulnerability and humanity while looking at his space photo album with glitter polaroids

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Slaughter house five owns

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

listening to the score to dredd, it's actually beautiful. that movie owned hard, i want sequels.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
dredd was way more amazing than it deserved to be for being a remake of a hokey mid-90s action movie

also if you enjoy dredd, watch the raid: redemption

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

dredd was way more amazing than it deserved to be for being a remake of a hokey mid-90s action movie

also if you enjoy dredd, watch the raid: redemption

i'll check that out, thank you.

i was told dredd was actually faithful to the comics and the sly stallone thing was an abomination.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
both of them are good but for different reasons

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the pauldrons alone make the og dredd 100% owniaj

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rigberry enema posted:

i'll check that out, thank you.

i was told dredd was actually faithful to the comics and the sly stallone thing was an abomination.

you were told right, dredd rules

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

track 21 is the music for when dredd shoves the slo-mo inhaler into ma-ma's mouth and then throws her rear end off the roof, great scene.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

at first I was a little disappointed that the entirety of dredd took place within a single building, I guess because I was expecting something more like the Stallone judge dredd but the movie still owned and I hope there are many sequels

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ol qwerty bastard posted:

there was nothing hokey about robocop, my friend :colbert:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

:crossarms:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

MancXVI posted:

block out a few days on your calendar for your post-mother night crushing depression

that loving book

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
HAVE U NOTICE THAT FERENGI IS SPACE JEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so i emailed peter watts yesterday (to send him this article: http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130911/srep02627/full/srep02627.html) and he responded :3

he seems like a cool dude

i'm going to have to stalk him in that bar he goes to downtown

• Locked thread