Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

duggimon posted:

So I haven't updated Skyrim since February missing the last big official upgrade I think. I was wondering if updating the game and updating my list of mods, adding the DLC and any additional required patches would make my current saves unplayable. I suspect it will but thought I'd ask as it's a relatively small list of mods.

It's never possible to be absolutely sure until you try, but Skyrim saves are often surprisingly tolerant of updating and adding. Give it a shot! I don't see anything too bitterly jealous in your current modlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Does anybody use Duke Patrick's Combat mod? I've been thinking about trying it but I'm worried about script delay and mod compatibility.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

futile posted:

Come on now. You can't make sweeping judgements about how well the program is doing for people in general based on the posts you see here. It's a drat troubleshooting thread. Of course we're going to see problems. How many of us use mod organizer without issue and love it? Who knows.
If people use it and it works for them, then wonderful. But when you look at how the thing works and if you know how other tools work, it turns out MO breaks a lot of assumptions that those tools make to do what they do, and as a result using MO makes it a lot more difficult to use those other tools unless MO explicitly supports them. I really don't feel like waiting around for one author to support another's work. MO might be great but I'm not going to give up ease of use of other tools just to isolate mods, especially when I don't change up my mods very often anyway and more especially when NMM does a pretty good job of keeping track of what files belong to which already. (I.e. functionally there is no difference on that between MO and NMM.)

Anyway, why the gently caress go to the trouble of replacing a DLL? Although I'm sure it will take them 10 releases to do it right, NMM's plan from 0.50 is superior to the way MO isolates mods. So why didn't MO just do that in the first place? The Windows functionality they are making use of has been around for 7-8 years now (since Windows Vista).

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I'm running 8gb of RAM and 2gb of VRAM and for the first time i actually ran out of memory playing skyrim, i was using serious hd retexture and Realvision ENB with enbhost and ugrids 7.

Didn't know it was even possible to run out of memory with 8gb, but i'm running it alright now with ugrids 5 and realvision performance enb, gotta say it's the best looking ENB i've used so far.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 21, 2013

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Kilroy posted:

functionally there is no difference on that between MO and NMM.

Does NMM keep a spare copy of overwritten files in case I want to change the order they were installed? The main reason I switched over to MO was because of how it handles loose file conflicts. I was having conflicting file issues when installing later mods that resulted in the game crashing because a mod was expecting it's version of a file to be there or things looking messed up because the wrong texture being overwritten. I also like being able to use MO to disable loose files from mods.

Cerevisiae fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 21, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kilroy posted:

But when you look at how the thing works and if you know how other tools work, it turns out MO breaks a lot of assumptions that those tools make to do what they do, and as a result using MO makes it a lot more difficult to use those other tools unless MO explicitly supports them.
If you simply don't like MO, then you do don't like it. But what you're talking about here is nowhere near as big of a problem as you make it. I can't say I find it to be more difficult to use tools like the CK, TES5Edit or skyproc through MO. You just have to know how to do it. The people who don't know how to make it all work properly and post here aren't an indication of a major flaw in MO. It just indicates MO could probably use some better documentation.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, I was in Ivarstead getting ready to climb up to High Hrotghar, which included a few swigs of wine, and because of Realistic Needs and Diseases, I was a little dizzy. Some dude told me that it was a long way down if I fell, but I scoffed at him.

And then I randomly tripped on the first fifty steps, rolled down the mountain and died from the fall. :haw:

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good way to increase the amount of dragon encounters and/or make them more interesting? I just realized that I've been playing for a few hours again but haven't actually seen a random dragon since the watchtower quest. I'm not really looking for anything to make them HARDCORE DIFFUCULT!!!, just a few more of them. I'd try ASIS, but I'm not sure how nice it'll play with all the mods I'm running.

At what point on the main quest are you? Dragon attacks pick up after you head out with Delphine for the first time.

Also, is there any mod/configuration to make the clock show the 24-hour format, instead of the AM/PM one, and something to make quest items droppable?

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good way to increase the amount of dragon encounters and/or make them more interesting? I just realized that I've been playing for a few hours again but haven't actually seen a random dragon since the watchtower quest. I'm not really looking for anything to make them HARDCORE DIFFUCULT!!!, just a few more of them. I'd try ASIS, but I'm not sure how nice it'll play with all the mods I'm running.

Timing is Everything includes a setting for number of days min/max between dragon attacks. You could fine tune it with that.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Skyrim HD good if I already have the HD textures DLC?

edit: also as far as textures go, what do people think of aMidianBorn for character textures? The stupid name is giving me pause...

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 21, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Delerion posted:

I'm running 8gb of RAM and 2gb of VRAM and for the first time i actually ran out of memory playing skyrim, i was using serious hd retexture and Realvision ENB with enbhost and ugrids 7.

Didn't know it was even possible to run out of memory with 8gb, but i'm running it alright now with ugrids 5 and realvision performance enb, gotta say it's the best looking ENB i've used so far.

Have you tried SMCO or Texture Optimizer?

I used Texture Optimizer regularly when I was playing Skyrim; it helped reduce VRAM usage. I recommend the Medium setting with Resize enabled and set to "if >2048" if you just want to test it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

WYA posted:

Is Skyrim HD good if I already have the HD textures DLC?

edit: also as far as textures go, what do people think of aMidianBorn for character textures? The stupid name is giving me pause...

Dude, AMB is flat out the best armor/weapon retexture series out there. Ignore the name, and get them.

Speaking of which, Cabal's next release is going to be the Ancient Nord/Nord Hero items, and to be frank, I absolutely cannot wait for them. They are by far my favorite weapons simply because of the aesthetic, which totally fits the game's fantasy setting.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is removing a mod from MO considered uninstalling it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So at some point, I picked up an Amulet of Talos off a corpse, and for some reason it's flagged as Quest-related. As a result, I can't build a Talos shrine at any of my houses.

Is there a way to fix this?

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

So at some point, I picked up an Amulet of Talos off a corpse, and for some reason it's flagged as Quest-related. As a result, I can't build a Talos shrine at any of my houses.

Is there a way to fix this?
That is probably for this quest: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Return_to_Grace . Hope you use the Unofficial Patch, otherwise the wiki page says you may run into trouble you need to console through.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gilg posted:

That is probably for this quest: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Return_to_Grace . Hope you use the Unofficial Patch, otherwise the wiki page says you may run into trouble you need to console through.

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm having trouble getting the SPERG uncapper to work.

code:

[PerksAtLevelUp]
;Set the number of perks gained at each level up. If a specific level is not specified then the closest lower level setting is used.
;Default game value is one perk per level (you can also use float as value, for example 1.25 per points per level)
; Level (2..10000) = Perks (0..255)
;
;In the following inactive commented example the player will gain 1 perk per level at and from level 2 to 9, then 2 perks per level at and from level 10 to 29,
; then 4 perks per level at and from level 30 to 94, then no perk at all per level for level 95 and above
;
;2=1
;10=2
;30=4
;95=0
2=0.5

This is supposed to be whats in the .ini, right? I'm using MO and I made sure that it's the case for both my main skyrim folder and also the MO folder, but it's not working.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
efb

Content: Hey if you're like me and don't have 12g of RAM, close Firefox and MO before playing Skyrim. together they are draining 1.2g of it, with Skyrim trying for like 5g.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 22, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WYA posted:

This is supposed to be whats in the .ini, right? I'm using MO and I made sure that it's the case for both my main skyrim folder and also the MO folder, but it's not working.
Erm, I'm not sure if I understand you right, but did you add that to the skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini files? That's not what you're supposed to do. Revert those changes if you did.
SPERG requires the Skyrim -Community- Uncapper which is a SKSE plugin that has it's own .ini file. The bit you quoted is part of SPERG's custom preset for the uncapper's .ini.

WYA posted:

Is removing a mod from MO considered uninstalling it?
If by "uninstalling it" you mean removing it from your loadorder/mod setup, then yeah.
If you either delete a mod from MO's mod directory, or disable it in MO's list of installed mods, it will be completely gone from MO's virtual Data folder.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Raygereio posted:

Erm, I'm not sure if I understand you right, but did you add that to the skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini files? That's not what you're supposed to do. Revert those changes if you did.
SPERG requires the Skyrim -Community- Uncapper which is a SKSE plugin that has it's own .ini file. The bit you quoted is part of SPERG's custom preset for the uncapper's .ini.

Yeah that plugin .ini is what I'm talking about. That's the right setting right? Because I keep getting full perks. The OP says to overwrite the one in the main folder, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

WYA posted:

Yeah that plugin .ini is what I'm talking about. That's the right setting right? Because I keep getting full perks. The OP says to overwrite the one in the main folder, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right
Put the INI in the same directory as the Uncapper DLL file.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Inverness posted:

Put the INI in the same directory as the Uncapper DLL file.

Yeah I did, it's still not working. gently caress this is the 2nd time I'm having trouble with htis. completely forgot how I fixed it the first time. It broke as soon I installed the new SPERG version

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Anyone tried Falskaar? It sounds like a pretty huge chunk of content that could be fun.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I found Falskaar pretty enjoyable so far. There's a lot of content there, with voice acting ranging from really rather good to ok, nothing that's terrible enough to stick out sorely. Honestly, there's enough that even if you find parts you dislike, you'll still find some gems that are enjoyable.

It's hard to find mods of that quality with as large a scope, so if you're at all interested I'd say give it a shot.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's very close to vanilla Skyrim in tone and quality but the content is a bit sparse for the map size.

It has one of the longest unending dungeons ever. In the middle of it, the thought hit me that the scariest thing would be a friendly voice out of nowhere going "How's it going?" The mod could have used that kind of imagination. Instead t was "Here's more drauger, isn't this epic?" If you are going to do something on this scale, bring some variety. Instead the mod is just more and more and more of vanilla Skyrim.

There are a good number of bugs which is hilarious because the Mod creator announced loudly that there wouldn't be any bugs to find.

I did like some of the discussion sequences mainly because I hadn't see it done that way before. It was fun to kick around.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Browsing through the Nexus I'm starting to wonder what percent of these mod creators have asspergers.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

WYA posted:

Yeah I did, it's still not working. gently caress this is the 2nd time I'm having trouble with htis. completely forgot how I fixed it the first time. It broke as soon I installed the new SPERG version

In my MO setup it reads SPERG's ini from within the SPERG folder in MO and not from the SKSE one in Skyrims data folder where the dll is. I found this out the hard way when I spent a while trying to work out why it wasn't applying the skill uncaps I added to it but was applying the SPERG settings.

Also the perk lines now read
2=1
3=0.5
that means you get a perk every even number level up.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Cerevisiae posted:

Does NMM keep a spare copy of overwritten files in case I want to change the order they were installed? The main reason I switched over to MO was because of how it handles loose file conflicts. I was having conflicting file issues when installing later mods that resulted in the game crashing because a mod was expecting it's version of a file to be there or things looking messed up because the wrong texture being overwritten. I also like being able to use MO to disable loose files from mods.
When you install a mod that overwrites a loose file from another mod, it will ask you to confirm the replacement, or to keep the existing files. Either way, it keeps the replaced (or ignored) files around in case you uninstall the mod that 'won' the file conflict, and then puts the other files back in.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Raygereio posted:

If you simply don't like MO, then you do don't like it. [...] You just have to know how to do it.
This part is really annoying - being told that if I don't like to use MO it must be because I don't know how to use it, rather than I just prefer to use something else. I guess other people's opinions cause some kind of cognitive dissonance in the heads of most people posting in this thread, so I'll leave it alone.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kilroy posted:

This part is really annoying - being told that if I don't like to use MO it must be because I don't know how to use it, rather than I just prefer to use something else. I guess other people's opinions cause some kind of cognitive dissonance in the heads of most people posting in this thread, so I'll leave it alone.

I'm ... pretty sure that's not what (the non-snipped entirety of) the thing you're quoting was actually saying. Sounded more to me like it was two things:

1. If you don't like something, then you don't like something. That's cool, everyone has their opinions.
2. You're having these particular troubles XYZ actually using MO, but they can maybe be resolved if you spend more time learning MO - you might just need more practice to get it to do what you want.

And you're snipping out the context and (mis-)combining the two statements as if they were a single statement:

1. If you don't like something, specifically MO, it's because you need to spend more time learning MO.

... Which I don't think was actually what the person was saying.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
Anyone know any mods that add additional customization stuff for Argonians,I want my lizardman to be the spiniest motherfucker in all of Skyrim, also any mods that add a gently caress ton of axes would also be appreciated, I got Immersive Weapons but its not doing much of anything for my thief/ax murderer.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

It's very close to vanilla Skyrim in tone and quality but the content is a bit sparse for the map size.

It has one of the longest unending dungeons ever. In the middle of it, the thought hit me that the scariest thing would be a friendly voice out of nowhere going "How's it going?" The mod could have used that kind of imagination. Instead t was "Here's more drauger, isn't this epic?" If you are going to do something on this scale, bring some variety. Instead the mod is just more and more and more of vanilla Skyrim.

There are a good number of bugs which is hilarious because the Mod creator announced loudly that there wouldn't be any bugs to find.

I did like some of the discussion sequences mainly because I hadn't see it done that way before. It was fun to kick around.
I read an interview done with the author of Falskaar. He said that the content is all focused around the quest because he knew he would never finish if he tried to add side content. This makes sense to mee considering how many people have "great ideas" which end up sputtering out into nothing (e.g. True Lichdom).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Your whole spiel about how tools have to be configured to use Mod Organizer is completely false and shows a clear lack of understanding about how Mod Organizer actually works. Which is understandable because there isn't a lot of reason people should know about the underlying mechanics, but those who don't understand it usually don't go around trying to sound like they do. So, for your situation based around your post, it is exactly a situation of if you don't like it then don't use it.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Looks like I'm going to have to jump into this.

Kilroy posted:

But when you look at how the thing works and if you know how other tools work, it turns out MO breaks a lot of assumptions that those tools make to do what they do, and as a result using MO makes it a lot more difficult to use those other tools unless MO explicitly supports them.
What tools don't work with MO exactly? Your statement makes me believe you don't realize that tools like TES5Edit, SkyProc ASIS, BOSS, etc. all work fine if you simply launch them from Mod Organizer in which case they will detect the final file structure that MO is presenting to Skyrim.

I can understand if using MO just isn't to your liking, but if that opinion is based on false information then I'd like to try to correct that. I don't mean to come off as pushy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Here is a question regarding SPERG. I am now getting level ups in certain skills and they are listed as "skill synergy" something or other. I've looked through the readme and changes log on the Nexus page, but can not find anything regarding this.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
If you're getting an actual message that says "skill synergy", it's not coming from SPERG.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

nessin posted:

Your whole spiel about how tools have to be configured to use Mod Organizer is completely false and shows a clear lack of understanding about how Mod Organizer actually works. Which is understandable because there isn't a lot of reason people should know about the underlying mechanics, but those who don't understand it usually don't go around trying to sound like they do. So, for your situation based around your post, it is exactly a situation of if you don't like it then don't use it.
Oh neat, I didn't realize I could create an app that did work on the Data directory, and it would just magically work the way I expect even if I'm an MO user. Thanks for the tip.

e: it's not working what's the deal

Inverness posted:

What tools don't work with MO exactly? Your statement makes me believe you don't realize that tools like TES5Edit, SkyProc ASIS, BOSS, etc. all work fine if you simply launch them from Mod Organizer in which case they will detect the final file structure that MO is presenting to Skyrim.
No, I get it. There isn't any false information and you didn't have to jump in, but thanks. Basically it's down to "if you simply launch them from Mod Organizer [and they are configured for you or you have configured them yourself]" which I prefer not to do and for some reason this is causing people's heads to explode. I don't know what the big deal is - sorry I don't use MO guys.

This is dumb and I'm not talking about it anymore.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 22, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"ModOrganizer doesn't work because I prefer not to make it work."

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kilroy posted:

As was already pointed out, that wasn't at al what I said. To repeat: If you simply don't like MO, then you do don't like it. If you just said you prefered NMM over MO then no one would have cared. You can't argue over taste.

However, you made statements about MO because apparently you felt the need to defend your preference and people took issue with those statement. To repeat myself again:

Kilroy posted:

I know everyone likes to evangelize MO around here, but even based on this thread alone it seems to cause more problems than it solves.
The people who don't know how to make it all work properly and post here aren't an indication of a major flaw in MO. It just indicates MO could probably use some better documentation.

Kilroy posted:

What you're talking about here is nowhere near as big of a problem as you make it. In my opinion, that is. I can't say that I find it to be more difficult to use tools like the CK, TES5Edit or skyproc through MO. You just have to know how to do it. Which is not a statement directed at you insinuating that you don't like MO because you don't know how to use it. It's a general statement about how things such as tools tend to feel complex and difficult when you have little to no understanding about how to use said tool.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 22, 2013

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Raygereio posted:

The people who don't know how to make it all work properly and post here aren't an indication of a major flaw in MO. It just indicates MO could probably use some better documentation.

Yeah this is pretty much me! I figure when MO is as easy for me to use as NMM or if I need to do a fresh install, I'll make the switch, but for now I've got everything working just fine through NMM. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to change over and at best get the same results I have now while potentially having things stop working correctly going by what's been said in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

seorin posted:

If you're getting an actual message that says "skill synergy", it's not coming from SPERG.

I did a bit more research, and found that it is a feature of Amazing Follower Tweaks. Good to know! And thanks for the quick reply!

• Locked thread