Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I finished using my homemade manometer to balance the carbs the best I could on the CB650 to within a few inches of each other (hell of a lot better than when I started - first run one of the carbs sucked all of the oil out of all four gauges right off the bat), reassembled the motorcycle, then went inside and drank a gallon of water because seriously gently caress Phoenix and Phoenix weather.

40 minutes outside in the sun and every article of clothing was 100% drenched. Last time that happened it was a 10-mile ruck march at Fort Jackson in August. And today was low humidity! It's worth it to have the bike not hover at 3,000 RPM for ten seconds every time you let off the throttle, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wallaka posted:

Those are the raddest graphics. Hope you get it back to stock.

It's totaled. :(

Also, finding those color fairings is drat near impossible.
I'm thinking I will be making a race fairing and tracking her.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

From the picture, the damage only looks cosmetic. What else is broken?

But yeah, cheap fairings, turn her into a track slut :getin:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

Hundred or so miles later and there is no sign of the tape or caulk giving at all. Mod complete until winter when I have time and inclination to have something fancy fabbed up to bolt on to the remaining subfender.

Better before/after pics.

Sooooo much cleaner.

This morning is 2 months later and the light fell off. I got stuck in some hardcore rains between then and now so that may have had something to do with it.

The unit surprisingly still works and all that happened was the license plate getting bent to poo poo. Time to find somebody local with a TIG welder. Was very much hoping this would hold out until winter and I'd have all kinds of time to do it myself. Reminder to self: do not cut corners, and since you can't help but cut corners during riding season... do not perform significant modifications during the riding season.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Geirskogul posted:

40 minutes outside in the sun and every article of clothing was 100% drenched.
Get yourself an EZ-up so you can at least be in the 'cool' shade.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But that $60 could be spent on mad tyte graphix! Or, at least, some Rustoleum spray appliance epoxy because I hosed up the paint on my Enfield pretty hardcore while working on the gas tank.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Are you going to post what happened anywhere? All I've seen are wreck pictures with no story.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008
Made use of my supermoto's number plate.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You should have made it say "BACK IT IN"

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

You should have made it say "BACK IT IN"

Hey may have been worried about homoerotic interpretations of "BACK IT IN".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't see the problem.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

I don't see the problem.

Anustart?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

From the picture, the damage only looks cosmetic. What else is broken?

But yeah, cheap fairings, turn her into a track slut :getin:

It runs like a champ still. I rode it home after the wreck.
The headlight/fairing mount is hosed, brake pedal, left hand controls and both left and right levers.
The gauges got crushed, and my bar-ends are hosed up.

And yeah track slut. I need to use ALL of that 180 rear that I managed to cram in there.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Are you going to post what happened anywhere? All I've seen are wreck pictures with no story.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&pagenumber=86#post419706822

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
180 on that size rear rim is a bad idea. And you'll probably never use the edge of it due to how badly you mushroom the profile when you pinch it like that.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I took apart my YZ125 to replace the piston... and I found that the Nikasil coating on the cyliner has worn through in a couple spots, and the head has so many pits it looks like the surface of the moon. I can pick up a new head for $50 on Ebay, and it looks like a cylinder core exchange is going to run about $200. All for a bike that I only have to let my friends ride.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Took my bike to a shop today. :smith: Poway Motorcycles is loving legit though. The service counter guy had a Katana with a GSXR1100 motor with the same bore kit my bike has and the tech races a 400lb fuel injected ZZR1200 pushing 160whp/100tq but ANYWAY

Compression test was perfect along all cylinders so no need for a leakdown. He said the oil burning issue was likely either due to the piston rings potentially being installed upside down or the rich condition dissolving the oil as the oil lubricates the cylinder walls. He put the analysis machine on and revved it and found where the rich spike was happening and immediately said it was a worn jet needle (not to be confused with a needle jet, or vice versa. Or something.) which is apparently completely common on high mileage bikes with a lot of freeway play. Unfortunately they're $28 each and there's four of them, but it's only half the price of a rejet and he says he'll tune it for me while it's there. Petcock was leaking and the guy said he'd sell me his old one for $50 since a new one is $140. :)

He's also gonna convert my bike to Hayabusa coil sticks with his custom wiring harness while he's in the engine area-- all I have to do is pay for the wires and parts. Can't wait to get this poo poo a reliable daily driver again! :black101:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 22, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Xovaan posted:

Took my bike to a shop today. :smith: Poway Motorcycles is loving legit though. The service counter guy had a Katana with a GSXR1100 motor with the same bore kit my bike has and the tech races a 400lb fuel injected ZZR1200 pushing 160whp/100tq but ANYWAY

Compression test was perfect along all cylinders so no need for a leakdown. He said the oil burning issue was likely either due to the piston rings potentially being installed upside down or the rich condition dissolving the oil as the oil lubricates the cylinder walls. He put the analysis machine on and revved it and found where the rich spike was happening and immediately said it was a worn jet needle (not to be confused with a needle jet, or vice versa. Or something.) which is apparently completely common on high mileage bikes with a lot of freeway play. Unfortunately they're $28 each and there's four of them, but it's only half the price of a rejet and he says he'll tune it for me while it's there. Petcock was leaking and the guy said he'd sell me his old one for $50 since a new one is $140. :)

He's also gonna convert my bike to Hayabusa coil sticks with his custom wiring harness while he's in the engine area-- all I have to do is pay for the wires and parts. Can't wait to get this poo poo a reliable daily driver again! :black101:

My Bandit has been burning oil recently and the compression test says the cylinders are solid. Does your diagnosis mean that MY jet needles are out? Because I've got stupid california jet needles in there and have been ITCHING for a reason to replace them.

In other news, my chain broke at about 4mph today. Sudden loss of power, increase in noise, and a thwack on the boot. It's fine. I'm just going to think happy thoughts that all the metal shavings on the swingarm are from the rollers disintegrating and not from the chain munging the inside of the clutch cover. Parts have been on order since yesterday. It's all relatively downhill to the shop from here.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, apparently slides vibrate constantly under use at highway speeds and the needle shown here at #9 rests on the sidewalls of this small little plated fitting in your carb (#14). He said that it's a common problem that often goes misdiagnosed. Most people will assume a rich condition after x thousand miles is due to whatever aftermarket jet kit the previous owner put in it, so they jet back to stock, which has larger diameter needles (#9 again) and this more often than not fixes the problem, but doesn't address the original issue where the top of #14 is worn out. Of course, by fixing this, it affects everything down the line, which requires tweaking again anyway, so :confused:

But anyway, long story short, even a slightly rich condition will cause oil to dissolve in the chamber and burn up. I like this answer better than having to replace stem seals or piston rings so I'll stick with it. v :) v

Funny you bring up California needles, too. Apparently to get certain bikes Cali-friendly, they'll also richen their mixtures to get their cats hotter, which can lead to a multitude of other problems. I think it's time you get a Dale Walker jet kit and some GSXR cams. :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In other news, my chain broke at about 4mph today. Sudden loss of power, increase in noise, and a thwack on the boot. It's fine. I'm just going to think happy thoughts that all the metal shavings on the swingarm are from the rollers disintegrating and not from the chain munging the inside of the clutch cover. Parts have been on order since yesterday. It's all relatively downhill to the shop from here.

Good thing it didn't happen while you were going faster, it could have broken your foot easily and torn apart the side of your engine.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I spent a couple of hours re-mounting the exhaust which I jad removed and painted yesterday. Even after a night of drying the paint was still pretty soft and I marred it in places trying to get everything back on, but it still looks way better than it was, a lot of it's hidden by the chin fairing anyway. But what a pain in the rear end it is to get a muffler back on headers, don't want to force it too much lest the headers crack of snap off the heads, don't want to manhandle the muffler too much to preserve the paint job. And then when I was almost done and ready to get the chin fairing back on, I noticed I put on the clap that connects the muffler to the headers the wrong way round, so that its threads interfere with the fairing. But I managed to bodge that, just couldn't use a torque wrench to tighten it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

180 on that size rear rim is a bad idea. And you'll probably never use the edge of it due to how badly you mushroom the profile when you pinch it like that.

My CBR wheel is the same size as my VFR wheel which calls for a 180.
I think it'll be fine (after I de-wreck the bike).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My CBR wheel is the same size as my VFR wheel which calls for a 180.
I think it'll be fine (after I de-wreck the bike).

If you have an F2, then it's a 4.5 inch rim. If you have an F3, then it's a 5 inch. The VFR750s dropped from a 5.5 (180 size) to a 5.0 at one point during it's life and went down to a 160 or 170 tire to match (OEM equipment varied). If it's the 4.5 inch rim, then a 180 is going to be crazy pinched and you're going to wear through the center of it quicker than you would with a proper sized tire, if it's a 5 inch rim then you're going to be a bit off but not as bad. 180s are generally recommended on 5.5 inch rims only, although you can get away with some narrower 180s if you actually measure them on the smaller rims although the profile still gets really steep and reduces your contact patch at lean.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 22, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I plasti-dipped my brush guards today.

I painted them "camo green", which is really just a flat green I liked. I wanted to do the front fairing and adventure beak as well today, but I screwed the pooch as far as making sure I had the right tools goes. When I got to the workspace I'm using, I discovered that the front fairing is held on by allen bolts rather than torx bolts, and the torx socket I had was 1/4" drive, but the wrench I had was 1/2" drive. It was a comedy of errors.

I think they look pretty good. Eventual plan is: hand guards, front fairing, adventure beak, maybe front fender, airbox cover, and maybe the accent color on the luggage. I'm beyond pleased with how well it went on and how good it wound up looking.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Out of curiosity, how old/beat up was your chain before it broke?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I changed the oil and adjusted my clutch to factory settings on the FZR. No more slipping!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I need to do that to my car actually! Slipping is almost as terrifying as flat spots. :ohdear:

I just bought 3 gallons of 20W50 and an oil filter. Here's to perpetual debt. :smith::hf::smith:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I plasti-dipped my brush guards today.

I painted them "camo green", which is really just a flat green I liked. I wanted to do the front fairing and adventure beak as well today, but I screwed the pooch as far as making sure I had the right tools goes. When I got to the workspace I'm using, I discovered that the front fairing is held on by allen bolts rather than torx bolts, and the torx socket I had was 1/4" drive, but the wrench I had was 1/2" drive. It was a comedy of errors.

I think they look pretty good. Eventual plan is: hand guards, front fairing, adventure beak, maybe front fender, airbox cover, and maybe the accent color on the luggage. I'm beyond pleased with how well it went on and how good it wound up looking.

Were the screws that hold on the guards in decent shape? I got mine second hand and those little bitty screws were already pretty beat up, but I loctited them on and now I can't get them off any more at all.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

rich condition dissolving the oil as the oil lubricates the cylinder walls.

I am pretty sure this was happening to me when the bike ran way too rich. When I fixed the fueling it went from 1q every 500 miles to 1q every 2000 miles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

High Protein posted:

Were the screws that hold on the guards in decent shape? I got mine second hand and those little bitty screws were already pretty beat up, but I loctited them on and now I can't get them off any more at all.

Pretty good shape. One had a little bit of surface rust, but they came off and went back on with just enough resistance that I'm not worried about them going anywhere.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm jealous, mine are pretty much cemented on and I desperately want to get them off.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Out of curiosity, how old/beat up was your chain before it broke?

According to my records, 13,000 miles. It had shed the rollers from the master link sometime in the week. I went to oil it after the torrential downpour, and noticed two rollers missing. Put parts on order, and just asked it to last the weekend.

Not so much.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I did some extreme modification to my rex. And by extreme I mean adding some silly T-rex/nerd stickers.

:darksouls:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

If you have an F2, then it's a 4.5 inch rim. If you have an F3, then it's a 5 inch. The VFR750s dropped from a 5.5 (180 size) to a 5.0 at one point during it's life and went down to a 160 or 170 tire to match (OEM equipment varied). If it's the 4.5 inch rim, then a 180 is going to be crazy pinched and you're going to wear through the center of it quicker than you would with a proper sized tire, if it's a 5 inch rim then you're going to be a bit off but not as bad. 180s are generally recommended on 5.5 inch rims only, although you can get away with some narrower 180s if you actually measure them on the smaller rims although the profile still gets really steep and reduces your contact patch at lean.

ah! well my F3 does have the 5" wheel...
I could have sworn my 99 VFR800 also has a 5" but maybe not since I know that the stock tire is a 180.
All in all it looks pretty good so far. I've only put about 2000mi on it but it has very nice even wear so far, despite the amount of highway riding I've done.

There's no way in hell I'll ever use the whole tire, but I only paid <$100 for it so it so I'm not upset.

Edit: I don't know if I mentioned that getting the 180 was not intentional. I told my boss to order me a set of Q2's and that's just what he ordered. I considered myself lucky that it fit and was not about to wait the 2 days for a proper replacement to come in.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 24, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ah! well my F3 does have the 5" wheel...
I could have sworn my 99 VFR800 also has a 5" but maybe not since I know that the stock tire is a 180.
All in all it looks pretty good so far. I've only put about 2000mi on it but it has very nice even wear so far, despite the amount of highway riding I've done.

There's no way in hell I'll ever use the whole tire, but I only paid <$100 for it so it so I'm not upset.

Edit: I don't know if I mentioned that getting the 180 was not intentional. I told my boss to order me a set of Q2's and that's just what he ordered. I considered myself lucky that it fit and was not about to wait the 2 days for a proper replacement to come in.

Ahh, well, that's not so terrible then. Just be careful motorcycles are dangerous etc. etc. etc.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I had a stockpile of old carbs picked up cheap on eBay for parts. Figured out that I had enough to assemble a full rack, so I spent a long time cleaning them up, polishing the outsides, etc. It's easy to dig into the polishing stuff when the bike already has functioning carbs. Some pics with an extra carb showing the "before" status.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I put a set of handguards and the :krad: OEM cheap-90s-toy orange windshield on the XT. I had to flip the mounting brackets for the handguards upside down, otherwise my levers would have had to be adjusted way too high in order for the handguards to actually shield my hands. You get what you pay for, I guess. At least they look cool and match the styling.

And rimstripezzz, of course! They're orange too, but kinda flourescent, so they appear really bright in photos.

I also had the always-curmudgeonly Sir Cornelius show me how to replace the cush drive rubber, because it was complete bashed to hell and back and had a bunch of play in it. On/off throttle transitions are much smoother now, as smooth as they're going to get with EFI, I guess.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 24, 2013

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

KozmoNaut posted:

And rimstripezzz, of course! They're orange too, but kinda flourescent, so they appear really bright in photos.

I think retroreflective is the word you're looking for. :) Nice job!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

OEM cheap-90s-toy orange windshield on the XT.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

I had a stockpile of old carbs picked up cheap on eBay for parts. Figured out that I had enough to assemble a full rack, so I spent a long time cleaning them up, polishing the outsides, etc. It's easy to dig into the polishing stuff when the bike already has functioning carbs. Some pics with an extra carb showing the "before" status.

if you want them clean but not shiny, baking soda blasting and simple green wash is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

if you want them clean but not shiny, baking soda blasting and simple green wash is the way to go.

Do you dilute the simple green for aluminum things like carbs?