Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spoeank posted:

Chris Mortenson (@mortreport)
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
Rich Eisen (@RichEisen)
Evan Silva (@EvanSilva)
Rotoworld Football (@Rotoworld_FB)
Sigmund Bloom (@SigmundBloom)

I'm sure I'm forgetting more good ones.

Chris Brown/Smart Football? Blanking on the handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Adam Schefter, too

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

@kmeinke
@davebirkett
@detroitlionsnfl
@prideofdetroit
@justin_rogers

For Lions fans.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
If I'm to believe the movie classic "The Last Boyscout" then "Friday night is a great night for football!". Why then is the game scheduling Thursday night, all day Sunday and Monday night? The potential for a team to have a Monday-Thursday turn around seems like the short end of the stick.

It works out pretty well for me viewing wise however with live games in the late morning on Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Declan MacManus posted:

It's just @smartfootball, definitely worth a follow but with the caveat that he talks a lot more about the college level than the NFL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Iron_Chef posted:

If I'm to believe the movie classic "The Last Boyscout" then "Friday night is a great night for football!". Why then is the game scheduling Thursday night, all day Sunday and Monday night? The potential for a team to have a Monday-Thursday turn around seems like the short end of the stick.

It works out pretty well for me viewing wise however with live games in the late morning on Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays!

The NFL can't play on Fridays or Saturdays during the high school and college football seasons by law as I understand it, wiki has this in the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 article.

quote:

The law has been interpreted to include the so-called "blackout rules" which protect a home team from competing games broadcast into its home territory on a day when it is playing a game at home, and from having to broadcast games within its home market area that have not sold out. It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October.

In addition to that Friday's traditionally a pretty bad night for TV.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

The NFL can't play on Fridays or Saturdays during the high school and college football seasons by law as I understand it, wiki has this in the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 article.

And vice versa, college football can't happen on Sundays. Which is why the Rose Bowl is always on a Monday if New Years Day happens to be on a Sunday

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SteelAngel2000 posted:

And vice versa, college football can't happen on Sundays. Which is why the Rose Bowl is always on a Monday if New Years Day happens to be on a Sunday

I think some of the lower tier bowls have Sunday games from time to time, but its usually due to logistics over competition and such.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Declan MacManus posted:

Matt Miller - @nfldraftscout - is one of my favorites in this domain (analysis more than news).

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Grittybeard posted:

Oh that's interesting reading. Thanks.
So Hollywood lied to me? My knowledge of American football come from The Last Boy Scout and The Replacements.

Are there provisions to ensure a team doesn't play Monday and have to play the following Thursday?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Iron_Chef posted:

Oh that's interesting reading. Thanks.
So Hollywood lied to me? My knowledge of American football come from The Last Boy Scout and The Replacements.

Are there provisions to ensure a team doesn't play Monday and have to play the following Thursday?

Yep. There are unwritten "rules" like no super-short weeks like you described, teams playing the annual game in London typically get a bye week either before or after that game, teams in Thanksgiving games get some sort of a break, etc.

To get an idea, try this article to see some of the factors the league takes into consideration.

Edit to add: It helps that under the current scheduling arrangement, 14 of 16 opponents for every team are already known years in advance. Three divisional opponents home and away = 6, four opponents from another division in-conference (rotating) = 4, four opponents from a division in the opposing conference (rotating) = 4. The last two games are based on performance from the previous season; the second place team from the AFC North will play the second place team from the other two AFC divisions that they aren't already playing.

This already locks a lot of the actual match-ups in place and just leads to who travels when, as well as stadium availability. This is much less of a big deal than it used to be in most cities, but Oakland still shares a stadium with a baseball team and other cities have two stadiums (stadia? God, that sounds pretentious) close enough to each other to create logistical issues. This is why the defending Super Bowl champs opened on the road at Denver; the Orioles owner refused to even consider shifting his schedule around to allow the Ravens to open at home.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 22, 2013

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What's the rule on low hits? Rodgers took a hit to the knee today that I was sure would be a bad injury. It looked intentional, but there was no flag thrown cause he was out of the box I guess.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
^I think they didn't call it because they'd already filled their quota of terrible over-protective calls in favor of the offense at that point.

Serious question though why is it that the defense can't advance the football after a fumble on a 4th down after the two minute warning? Or more precisely what exactly does that mean? Say:

Offense fumbles the ball(1), the defense picks it up, and starts to run with it, defender(a) then fumbles it(2), and another defender(b) picks it up and continues running.

Inside two minutes how would that be ruled? Down at the spot they recovered the first fumble? Or that they're down at the spot defender B picked up the second fumble?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What's the rule on low hits? Rodgers took a hit to the knee today that I was sure would be a bad injury. It looked intentional, but there was no flag thrown cause he was out of the box I guess.

NFL 12-2-8 covers roughing the passer. It's quite long.

quote:

(e) A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on
the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the
passer and has no opportunity to avoid him;

Note 1: A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he is being
contacted by another player.
Note 2: It is not a foul if the defender swipes, wraps, or grabs a passer in the knee area or below in an attempt to tackle him.

However, as you suspect, this changes once the QB starts scrambling (because it's much harder to accurately contact a moving target).

quote:

(g) When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to
advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses...the protection against a low hit provided for in (e) above...
If the passer stops behind the line and clearly establishes a passing posture, he will then be covered by all of the
special protections for passers.

That bit's been trimmed down to just the relevant parts.

KettleWL posted:

Serious question though why is it that the defense can't advance the football after a fumble on a 4th down after the two minute warning? Or more precisely what exactly does that mean? Say:

Offense fumbles the ball(1), the defense picks it up, and starts to run with it, defender(a) then fumbles it(2), and another defender(b) picks it up and continues running.

Inside two minutes how would that be ruled? Down at the spot they recovered the first fumble? Or that they're down at the spot defender B picked up the second fumble?

The ball is dead when recovered by defender B, and if it was recovered in advance of defender A's fumble, it returns to the spot where he lost possession.

The rule was invented as the fourth down fumble rule (which applies through the entire game, but only to Team A and only before a change of possession) to stop things happening accidentally-on-purpose at the end of a game like how the Holy Roller went down, and then the NFL sensibly expanded it to cover both teams on every down inside the two-minute warning.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I think some of the lower tier bowls have Sunday games from time to time, but its usually due to logistics over competition and such.

I wonder if there will be under the table pushback from the NFL if the NCAA playoff ever starts to creep deeper into January and NFL playoff season.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

I wonder if there will be under the table pushback from the NFL if the NCAA playoff ever starts to creep deeper into January and NFL playoff season.

Probably not. The NCG has been in the middle of the week, so unless they are directly competing with a playoff game, which I doubt any network would really try to do, there shouldn't be an issue.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Is Teddy Bridgewater really worth tanking for like Andrew Luck was or is it just a function of him being the highest rated draft eligible qb?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The SituAsian posted:

Is Teddy Bridgewater really worth tanking for like Andrew Luck was or is it just a function of him being the highest rated draft eligible qb?

Has the physical tools and the mental makeup to be a star, but he plays against some very soft competition. He's not the generational guy that Luck was, but that's what makes Luck a generational guy.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think if Bridgewater continues the current arc of his college career and plays well at Louisville's eventual bowl game (where they'll presumably play a much better team than anyone on their regular season schedule), he'll probably a prospect be on par with Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford. Not a once-in-a-generation, slam dunk-type guy like Peyton or Luck, but an accomplished player with relatively few blemishes on his projectability to the NFL level that nobody would question taking first overall.

For a more recent example, barring a Geno Smith-esque late season collapse and/or blowing his workouts or interviews, I think Bridgewater would be a considerably less controversial #1 pick than Cam Newton was in 2011. Even leading up to draft day people were speculating that other QBs like Blaine Gabbert (which was not nearly as laughable at the time as it is in retrospect) or non-quarterbacks like Patrick Peterson or Von Miller would be 'safer' picks.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think if Bridgewater continues the current arc of his college career and plays well at Louisville's eventual bowl game (where they'll presumably play a much better team than anyone on their regular season schedule), he'll probably a prospect be on par with Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford. Not a once-in-a-generation, slam dunk-type guy like Peyton or Luck, but an accomplished player with relatively few blemishes on his projectability to the NFL level that nobody would question taking first overall.

For a more recent example, barring a Geno Smith-esque late season collapse and/or blowing his workouts or interviews, I think Bridgewater would be a considerably less controversial #1 pick than Cam Newton was in 2011. Even leading up to draft day people were speculating that other QBs like Blaine Gabbert (which was not nearly as laughable at the time as it is in retrospect) or non-quarterbacks like Patrick Peterson or Von Miller would be 'safer' picks.

Never, ever forget that in the 1998 draft it was considered a toss-up between Peyton and Leaf. No one can ever really tell how these things will go.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm pretty sure (not 100% though, since I was 9 and not exactly following the draft at the time) that it really wasn't, at least not to the degree that it's been built up to in light of Leaf's spectacular flameout. As I understand it many people felt that Leaf had a ceiling equivalent to Peyton's, but he wasn't nearly the same level of product coming out of school. Somebody older than me and/or someone who pays a lot more attention to college football could probably c/d that though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm pretty sure (not 100% though, since I was 9 and not exactly following the draft at the time) that it really wasn't, at least not to the degree that it's been built up to in light of Leaf's spectacular flameout. As I understand it many people felt that Leaf had a ceiling equivalent to Peyton's, but he wasn't nearly the same level of product coming out of school. Somebody older than me and/or someone who pays a lot more attention to college football could probably c/d that though.

pretty much. Peyton was the polished product and Leaf was the swing for the fences kinda guy.

They were both insanely highly regarded though

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Peyton was the unquestioned #1, but Leaf was absolutely going high in the first round to whoever needed a quarterback (turns out the team with the 2nd pick did).

Also bear in mind that this happened before dissenting opinions like the dude who works with college quarterbacks preparing for the draft posting a 12 minute video on how flawed Tim Tebow is and how he could fix him. So when Mel Kiper says scouts love him, that's the word.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Peyton was the unquestioned #1, but Leaf was absolutely going high in the first round to whoever needed a quarterback (turns out the team with the 2nd pick did).

You're forgetting the funniest part of the whole affair; the Chargers had the #3 pick that year. Arizona had #2. This is what Ryan Leaf was worth to the San Diego Chargers: their first-round picks that year and next, a second-round pick, and a handy RB/KR called Eric Metcalf (he held records for kickoff and punt return touchdowns before Devin Hester happened). By rights, that story should be way funnier when you then reveal all the great players that Arizona drafted, but, uh, "all the great players Arizona drafted" is kind of like "all the great social legislation championed by Herbert Hoover".

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I don't think it's funny at all.

:(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I don't think it's funny at all.

:(

Relax, the Redskins will know how you feel for years to comee

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If the Browns dodged a bullet by missing out on the RGIII trade I will...I will poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rap posted:

If the Browns dodged a bullet by missing out on the RGIII trade I will...I will poo poo

Is there any greater guarantor of a QB draft bus than Cleveland showing interest?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there any greater guarantor of a QB draft bus than Cleveland showing interest?

"A highly regarded quarterback out of USC..."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

"A highly regarded quarterback out of USC..."

Carson Palmer has had a fairly decent career

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Carson Palmer has had a fairly decent career

should have had surgery after that injury though.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So I've always wondered this but where did the term "homer" like "Patriots homer" come from, exactly? TFF is the only place I've seen the term used and I always thought it had something to do with the Simpsons but never actually knew.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

So I've always wondered this but where did the term "homer" like "Patriots homer" come from, exactly? TFF is the only place I've seen the term used and I always thought it had something to do with the Simpsons but never actually knew.

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I've definitely heard it outside of SAS/TFF/the internet but I have no idea how far back the term goes. I figured it was an accepted colloquialism but I can't find anything on a quick search better than urban dictionary backing this up.

I'm fairly confident it has nothing to do with the Simpsons for whatever that's worth, that seems like a different usage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Febreeze posted:

I thought it came from Home Towner, aka somebody who roots for a team no matter what because its were they came from. Shorten to homer to indicate that the person is a die-hard whose connection is deeper than just "I follow this team"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Febreeze posted:

I've always understood it to mean a guy who had tunnel-vision about his own club, and didn't really care about any other teams in the league or the players on them. Consequently, they tend to lapse into "my players are all awesome and yours all suck because they're not on my team."

A normal Pats fan would be into the NFL in general and the Pats specifically is their favorite, but seeing them as a subset of a larger organiation. A homer would then a fan of the Pats only, and gently caress everyone else.

Homer comes from the obsession with their home-town or home-team. That's how I've always understood it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
A quick fooling around with Google led me to the Oxford definitions, which aside from a home run and a pigeon, is "a referee or official who is thought to favor the team playing at home". Applying that to fans as well is probably where the team homer thing came from and isn't much of a leap.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

From a post in the NFL Aftermath thread for this week:

gohuskies posted:

Media talked to Richard Sherman about the pick-6. He said that the scout team ran that exact play in Friday's practice so he was 100% ready for it. Maybe Kubiak needs to shake up the play calling a little?

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what the scout team does? I'm assuming its a group of players who scout (gasp) the next team and try to mimic how they play for their team to practice against, but beyond that I don't know anything about them.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The_Hat posted:

From a post in the NFL Aftermath thread for this week:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what the scout team does? I'm assuming its a group of players who scout (gasp) the next team and try to mimic how they play for their team to practice against, but beyond that I don't know anything about them.

Coaches do the scouting and trying to figure out what plays/formations a team will run. Then the scout teams will run those schemes to help the starters prepare for the game that week.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Some teams also like to use the practice squad as a place to store young rookies or fringe talent that isn't quite good enough for the 53 man roster. They can also try to hold on to enough players to run two sets of scrimmage plays at once. They also don't fall under the same rules as normal players. You can cut and sign them any week, and any team can sign any practice squad player from any other team to their 53 man roster. Also there's a bunch of rules about how long you can stay on the practice squad before you either have to get signed to the 53 man roster or dropped. And they usually make a fraction of the minimum for a player on the 53 man roster.

But yeah, the scout/practice squad is meant to be a developmental squad to help prepare teams by running different looks that the opponent may run, and to develop the players on the squad to hopefully make the 53 man roster in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
So the Pats have what, 14 rookies on the team? That's a pretty fair percentage. Are there any teams with more right now? That seems like a hell of a lot of new guys.

• Locked thread