Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I was using Picasa to edit my pictures but seems they've recently cut back some of the features so I'm now unable to resize my images. Anyone recommend something similar to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I was using Picasa to edit my pictures but seems they've recently cut back some of the features so I'm now unable to resize my images. Anyone recommend something similar to use?

Irfanview is free and has batch rename/resize features. It's pretty useful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When all I'm doing is cropping and resizing a photo, I use Paint (on Windows 7; winXP and earlier lacks the crop feature, which means you have to cut, open another instance of Paint, and paste, which is just one step too many). For batch resizing I use Irfanview.

Note that if you're hosting on Imgur, and you make an account, they have resizing options built-in, although I think you have to do it one-by-one. Both Imgur and LPix have plugins for Rightload, too: The advantage of LPix is that the host preserves the name of your image file, which is really awesome for LPs. Imgur's API limits you to 50 uploads per hour, too, which should never matter for this thread.

Achmed Jones posted:

Well, in that case, I will claim the Strike a Pose one-time bonus!

This is adorable!

quote:

I edited my Oath Complete post to include this information as well.

OK. For future reference, this isn't strictly necessary, as long as you point me to which month's Oath models you're using (so I can confirm they were oathed, and not just random models you have lying around). But it's fine in this case. :)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 19, 2013

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) is a free editor that is nice and lightweight but still functional enough for cropping, resizing, rotating, adding text, and all the other stuff you need to do your oath pics.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm starting a display board for the gladiators from Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery and its expansion, The Serpent and the Wolf.

The styrofoam:

The cardboard:

I also have a photo of it glued together, but it makes no sense because the timestamp in it says 4:13, but it took me about half an hour to cut out the hexagons and glue everything together. In fact, worldtimeserver on my phone is still reading 4:13 pm - it appears not to auto-refresh on iOS 7. So I'll refrain from posting that little bit of :psyduck:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

thiswayliesmadness posted:

DakkaDakka's gallery is actually pretty legit. It automatically resizes every image you upload, and has a built in optional color balancer that overcompensates a little but is generally pretty good.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Oath Complete!

I am claiming Speed painting!, Jurnal, and Double the Fun on my Ghulam, and Fly your Flag, In Battle!, and a themed group for my Bloodcrushers of Khorne.

Ghulam:
For the speed:

For the Jurnal (I've written "ya Kafir" on his rifle, which roughly translates to "Hey, infidel!" in Arabic):

Bloodcrushers:
With their fearless leader from last month, Skulltaker:

With their inspirational Fly your Flag banner:

I hand painted an Ultramarines banner, then covered it in red ink and painted a crude bright red Khorne symbol on the front of it. I figure demons probably can't stitch a banner very well but they're probably good at covering things in blood! Especially in the process of taking the banner from whoever had it last.

Facing down their hated Space Marine enemies In Battle!:

And that's about it! Took a lot of time and effort this month but I'm very happy with how the Bloodcrushers came out.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 20, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Achmed Jones posted:

In fact, worldtimeserver on my phone is still reading 4:13 pm - it appears not to auto-refresh on iOS 7. So I'll refrain from posting that little bit of :psyduck:

I don't think it auto-refreshes at all? I've been using my nexus 7 for those time stamp photos and there's been occasions where I've opened up chrome and the tab is still there, showing last months date and time.

Painting tonight, really dragging my heels and really really not enjoying painting the axer I've oathed. I want him done and out of the way tonight :colbert:

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
I, Nathonicus, oath these additional models for the month of September!

This is the bulk of my Warmaster chaos stuff. 3 dragon ogres, 3 stands of chaos hounds, 3 stands of chaos knights, 3 stands of deamonettes on steeds, and 3 heros/wizards.

These guys are littl - 10 or 15mm, I'm not sure which, and made (once upon a time) by Games Workshop.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Direwolf posted:

Oath Complete!

I am claiming Speed painting!, Jurnal, and Double the Fun on my Ghulam, and Fly your Flag, In Battle!, and a themed group for my Bloodcrushers of Khorne.

And that's about it! Took a lot of time and effort this month but I'm very happy with how the Bloodcrushers came out.

Good job!

You are missing one point for this month because your oath complete photos do not have your username in them. If you edit in your name, post to let me know so I can award that last point. Otherwise, I've credited you for all of your claims.

nathonicus posted:

This is the bulk of my Warmaster chaos stuff. 3 dragon ogres, 3 stands of chaos hounds, 3 stands of chaos knights, 3 stands of deamonettes on steeds, and 3 heros/wizards.

These guys are littl - 10 or 15mm, I'm not sure which, and made (once upon a time) by Games Workshop.

Warmaster is 10mm apparently. Be aware that I have taken away all your points for finishing an oath - you get them back when you finish this new oath, and when you post your new oath complete post, please link to or (better) quote your previous oath complete post, so it's all in one handy URL for me to paste into the spreadsheet. Good luck!

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm starting a display board for the gladiators from Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery and its expansion, The Serpent and the Wolf.

The styrofoam:

The cardboard:

I also have a photo of it glued together, but it makes no sense because the timestamp in it says 4:13, but it took me about half an hour to cut out the hexagons and glue everything together. In fact, worldtimeserver on my phone is still reading 4:13 pm - it appears not to auto-refresh on iOS 7. So I'll refrain from posting that little bit of :psyduck:

It's OK, as long as the timestamp is from this month. Actually for this, I think what you need for your official Oath of making a display board, is a photo of the assembled but not-yet-painted board, with the timestamp, so the one you have is probably fine.

Here's the rules from the OP:

quote:

One entry per participant. Post a picture of your unpainted display board (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your display board must be from various angles with your army/faction in place.
Be sure to post 'This is my Display Board entry' when posting your Oath Complete picture to make sure we catch your entry.
NOTE: final pictures must have your name in the photos!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 20, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

Post a picture of your unpainted display board (with timestamp)
efore starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging,

Does that means that the display board does not need to be completed in a single month? The rule says to post a picture before starting (done!) and to post the completed picture some time before the end of the season, so I figured that it wasn't part of the monthly Oath. But I'm probably wrong - if I need to, I'm happy to make an oath addition. That'll give me extra motivation to finish it up this month anyway!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Leperflesh posted:

Good job!

You are missing one point for this month because your oath complete photos do not have your username in them. If you edit in your name, post to let me know so I can award that last point. Otherwise, I've credited you for all of your claims.

Edited!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

Does that means that the display board does not need to be completed in a single month? The rule says to post a picture before starting (done!) and to post the completed picture some time before the end of the season, so I figured that it wasn't part of the monthly Oath. But I'm probably wrong - if I need to, I'm happy to make an oath addition. That'll give me extra motivation to finish it up this month anyway!

It does not need to be completed in a single month, and it does not need to be part of a monthly Oath.

You do, however, need to post a photo of it assembled but prior to painting; you mentioned having such a photo, but with a bad timestamp?

You're all set!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It does not need to be completed in a single month, and it does not need to be part of a monthly Oath.

Rad!

quote:

You do, however, need to post a photo of it assembled but prior to painting; you mentioned having such a photo, but with a bad timestamp?

Well, sort of - I'm still adding sand to it right now, so it's not all-the-way constructed yet:

I realized that I forgot to smooth the edges with tape, so I had to go back and do that. I'm still in the process of getting snow (to be painted as sand) to all the visible surfaces. I'll take another picture when it's all together and ready to be painted!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

Rad!

Well, sort of - I'm still adding sand to it right now, so it's not all-the-way constructed yet:

I realized that I forgot to smooth the edges with tape, so I had to go back and do that. I'm still in the process of getting snow (to be painted as sand) to all the visible surfaces. I'll take another picture when it's all together and ready to be painted!

OK, yeah, just that final state when it's all done save the painting, that'll be perfect.

Basically what we're going for is, imagine if someone already had a lovely display board they made two years ago and wanted to cheat. They could post a photo of a pile of cardboard and foam, wait a month, and then post a photo of their lovely display board.

So we want to see what is recognizably the display board in your final completed photo, so we can tell that you painted it this year. Not that we think you, Achmed Jones, would ever cheat! But the rules are designed to make it clear to everyone that it'd be difficult to cheat, so nobody is likely to complain or challenge someone else's honesty. Makes everything more nice for everyone.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

OATH COMPLETE! Troll Axer by Privateer Press

Detektiv's Jurnal included in the little inset, it's a tartan cloth :v:

Never ever going to paint a troll axer ever again, not a fun model to paint :suicide: His skin looks totally different in the photos, quite bland and not much contrast, looks a bit better in the flesh so to speak.

No bonus points this month, I'll get some of those done in October I think.

and yes, the white blob on the base is pva glue, I'm that impatient and want to get this months oath over and done with, thoroughly not enjoyed this month at all :)

Germ
May 7, 2013

nathonicus posted:

Go! Go! GO!!!!! Are these from Stark's bits box? He'd be proud!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Oath Complete!
4 SkorneCataphract Incindiarii and 1 Skorne Agonizer

Detektivs Jernal is the house insignia on the banner

Also I think this counts for a Themed Group, but correct me if I'm wrong (only 4 are in the same unit, but all 5 are the same army) No worries if not.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, Oath this Forgeworld Decimator, unfortunate power squat and all.

Dagon posted:

Adding one Infinity Yuan Yuan Mercenary to my Oath:

Oath Complete

Detektiv's Jurnal: obviously evil runes:

Box art attempt:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete!

Themed Group and Detektuv's Jurnal for the freehand stuff on the riptide (shown in the insets)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OK, I think my display board is ready to be painted! Here it is:

I'll wait until I get the go-ahead to start painting - I'm not sure if the bit of cardboard and blue tape that you can see will be a problem. I'm pretty sure they won't be (otherwise I wouldn't submit, obviously) but better safe than sorry!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Booley posted:

Tau Awesomeness.jpg

Goddamn, son. Goddamn.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Damnit Booley, stop being awesome. [Keep up the awesome work, especially that photography]

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Booley, stop making me want to make a tau army because I won't ever come close to that.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete! It's orc time.

I finally got ahold of some Citadel Washes for this. It's probably the first time I've actually liked the color of my orcs.

Detektuv’s Jurnal is all the red patterning on the axe, swords, and archer belts. Thank you, tribal tattoo websites.

This is also a themed group.

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01: This is a dice tray. It's large enough to catch most rolls, shock absorbent enough to damp down die bouncing, and flat enough for easy storage.

Hellgnash Skullsplitter disapproves of your rolling skills!

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
I, Rikthor, oath that I will paint one Games Workshop Bretonnian Men-at-Arms Model!

Please let me know if it is too late to oath :ohdear:

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Hey on that note, Booley what photo set up do you use (camera, etc)? Would you might maybe posting a pic of the are you take your pictures in for some lighting and angle pointers? Hope this isn't derailing the thread, but I'm super curious.

Edit: Paint job reminds me of the Cerberus dudes from Mass Effect.

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 22, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nathonicus posted:

Accepted

Achmed Jones posted:

OK, I think my display board is ready to be painted! Here it is:

I'll wait until I get the go-ahead to start painting - I'm not sure if the bit of cardboard and blue tape that you can see will be a problem. I'm pretty sure they won't be (otherwise I wouldn't submit, obviously) but better safe than sorry!
Accepted - as Leperflesh posted, we only need a timestamp photo of the completed, assembled display board, ready for you to flock, paint, whatever. It just needs to be finished before the end of the oath season (before next May). The same applies to Dioramas. So you're fine. (and no one needs to post timestamp pictures of bits of styrofoam and cardboard! just assemble it and oath it when it's built! :))

Rikthor posted:

Accepted
I, Rikthor, oath that I will paint one Games Workshop Bretonnian Men-at-Arms Model!

Please let me know if it is too late to oath :ohdear:

This is Accepted as well

The last time to post oaths is midnight GMT tomorrow - one week before the end the month. (bolded to hopefully stave off questions from everyone else!)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Completed!

One completed Tau Crisis suit with two extra weapons. everything is magnetized so i can switch the gear, which can be seen in the last 2 images. I disliked the shield pod, and being that I was playing tau, aka anime robots, I thought I might as well reference some of my favorite giant anime robots. To do this I replaced the tau shield module with a Bretonnian Men at arms shield. The rectangular shape was more Gundum esq, which I furthered by putting an 08 on the shield because 8th MS Team was awesome. Finally because I did not feel like that was enough for the freehand thing I added the Zone of the Enders symbol to the bottom of the shield.

Detekuv Jurnal:
I freehanded the stuff on the shield and the odd little symbol on the back

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android oath this 40k GW ork kannon thing for the month of September

Another month with not much painting unfortunately.

Android fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 22, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Ho snap, so I'm working on a converted Draigo model and there is just so much detail I'm having trouble conceiving of where I'm going to put some freehand without making him look like a walking supreme pizza. Soooooooo, gonna make an...

:siren:OATH ADDITION:siren:

...of these objective markers! For those keeping score, that's a mysterious dias, jenga of choppas, relic thingy I found in my bits box, cherished ork glyph, dagger & book, and imperial crate. They are mostly from bits made by GW, and are on square fantasy bases because I have a ton of them sitting around.

I'll be going for I Rolled A 6!...Or A 20...Or Maybe An 01, of course. There should be plenty of room for some freehand, as well as the various weathering I'm going to go for, meaning I'll also try for Double The Fun! if it's possible to go for multiple bonuses on the same markers.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Brock Samsonite posted:

Hey on that note, Booley what photo set up do you use (camera, etc)? Would you might maybe posting a pic of the are you take your pictures in for some lighting and angle pointers? Hope this isn't derailing the thread, but I'm super curious.

Edit: Paint job reminds me of the Cerberus dudes from Mass Effect.

A bad snap I took a few weeks back. Camera's a Canon 1D Mk4, 100mm macro lens, lights are a pair of Profoto D1 Air 500s with 2'x3' softboxes. The one on camera right is set about twice as bright as the one on camera left. Models are sitting on a piece of glossy white acrylic with a roll of white paper going up behind them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wow; I would have sworn that those reflections were shopped in, but no?

My setup is looking lame now. I was so proud of my lightbox made of cardboard and greaseproof paper D:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Wow; I would have sworn that those reflections were shopped in, but no?

My setup is looking lame now. I was so proud of my lightbox made of cardboard and greaseproof paper D:

No, reflections are real. Don't feel bad though, photography is my day job and that photo setup is worth significantly more than most of us have spent on tiny plastic models.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I suspected as much. Those lights alone as probably worth more than my entire collection.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Well that explains why mine look like taking a piss compared to yours. Jaesus. Thanks for the info though, hopefully that will be useful as reference material.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
:siren: I, Buffalo squeeze, oath for September 1 guardsman for GW :siren:

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
:siren: I, overthefalls, oath the following for September: 5x Space Marines, from Games Workshop. :siren:

Had five ready to go but realized that I had basecoated/washed them already, so no can do.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
I, Derlix, Oath this model for September:
Oniwaban Shinobu Kitsune, from Corvus Belli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Android posted:

I, Android oath this 40k GW ork kannon thing for the month of September

Monoliths posted:

:siren:OATH ADDITION:siren:

...of these objective markers! For those keeping score, that's a mysterious dias, jenga of choppas, relic thingy I found in my bits box, cherished ork glyph, dagger & book, and imperial crate. They are mostly from bits made by GW, and are on square fantasy bases because I have a ton of them sitting around.

Buffalo squeeze posted:

:siren: I, Buffalo squeeze, oath for September 1 guardsman for GW :siren:

I'm guessing that...word...means 'September'?

overthefalls posted:

:siren: I, overthefalls, oath the following for September: 5x Space Marines, from Games Workshop. :siren:

These are all Accepted!

Derlix posted:

I, Derlix, Oath this model for September:
Oniwaban Shinobu Kitsune, from Corvus Belli

This, however, is not. You need to use https://www.worldtimeserver.com for your timestamp pictures - if I let this go, even though it appears to be a time-telling website of some sort, chaos will break loose and we'll all grow tentacles. Get another picture with the right website in the background and you should be OK. But do it before midnight GMT tonight!

:siren: REMEMBER EVERYONE: :siren:
:siren: The deadline for NEW Oaths is midnight tonight, GMT time! :siren: (corrected)
See the OP for the exact times for each time zone.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 23, 2013

• Locked thread