Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You meant to say Fuji Acros 100 :colbert: (in 120 format)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
For any Tampa-area goons who might be in here, I'm moving cross-country soon and want to give away some of my darkroom chemicals rather than take them to the county hazmat site. I have a stainless steel tank in there too if anyone needs a startup kit.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Also, Tri-X is objectively the best film.

Only the 400.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I didn't realize that Fuji made Superia in 120. Why is it more expensive than their Pro films? Is it pretty much just an Asian thing?

I really like the idea of a consumer 120 film for a little extra grain. :kiddo:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Portra is obviously great for portrait stuff and also makes anything lit with fluorescents look really cool.

If you can get your hands on some Ektachrome Panter, it is amazing for bright exteriors and interiors with controlled lighting with the right filters/photoshop magic.

Ilford Delta 3200 is a great B&W stock for low light, you can push it insane amounts.

You should just try every stock though til you find one you like.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Portra is obviously great for portrait stuff and also makes anything lit with fluorescents look really cool.

If you can get your hands on some Ektachrome Panter, it is amazing for bright exteriors and interiors with controlled lighting with the right filters/photoshop magic.

Ilford Delta 3200 is a great B&W stock for low light, you can push it insane amounts.

You should just try every stock though til you find one you like.

3200 speed film is only good for justifying a hand check at the airport. Push Tri-X or HP5 like a grown up.:colbert:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

I didn't realize that Fuji made Superia in 120. Why is it more expensive than their Pro films? Is it pretty much just an Asian thing?

I really like the idea of a consumer 120 film for a little extra grain. :kiddo:

I was going to suggest Ektacolor, but I've just found out that it was dumped on the market as the new Portra 160 came out, so all the supplied are gone. It was a consumer stock only sold in Asia, which looked a lot like 160NC, but the negatives were a fair bit thiner and a little more grainier than real Portra. Bummed to see it go.

E in Apollo Bay by mr_student, on Flickr

8th-snype posted:

3200 speed film is only good for justifying a hand check at the airport. Push Tri-X or HP5 like a grown up.:colbert:

Or Foma 400 like a cheapskate.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

Or Foma 400 like a cheapskate.

Foma 400 Akbar

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore di maxmars70, su Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I'm in love with film again.

End of the Season Sunset by benruset, on Flickr

Convention Hall by benruset, on Flickr

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finally completed a roll of Portra 400 that had been sitting in my camera for almost a year. It's my first roll of the new Portra, and I gotta say that I love the colors.

Corridor Thing by krnhotwings, on Flickr

Scripps Pier by krnhotwings, on Flickr

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

krnhotwings posted:

Finally completed a roll of Portra 400 that had been sitting in my camera for almost a year. It's my first roll of the new Portra, and I gotta say that I love the colors.

Scripps Pier by krnhotwings, on Flickr

What's up San Diego? I'm out of Carlsbad.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Looks like there is a 'new' Hollywood film on the block. ISO 800, Tungsten balanced, Remjet layer removed.

It is (based on) Kodak Vision3 500T. So you can expect awesome color, extreme latitude-goodness and push-ability.
This version apparently can be developed in C41. 35mm only, sadly...

Very, very tempting...

http://www.cinestillfilm.com/

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

VomitOnLino posted:

Looks like there is a 'new' Hollywood film on the block. ISO 800, Tungsten balanced, Remjet layer removed.

It is (based on) Kodak Vision3 500T. So you can expect awesome color, extreme latitude-goodness and push-ability.
This version apparently can be developed in C41. 35mm only, sadly...

Very, very tempting...

http://www.cinestillfilm.com/

if i ever shot 35mm i'd be all over that :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I am unwilling to pay $10 a roll for 35mm film.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I am unwilling to pay $10 a roll for 35mm film.

Don't move to Canada. :(

It costs like $15 before tax to shoot and develop a roll of (fresh) Portra.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Suck it, free healthcare havers.:patriot:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

aliencowboy posted:

I can't find Portra locally (Calgary) for less than 12.50 a roll soooo

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A 5 pack of Protra 400 (120) comes out to $45ish here in Toronto :( And when you throw the development on top of it..

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Buy from freestyle? That's what I do and shipping here costs way more than shipping to Canada...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Santa is strapped posted:

A 5 pack of Protra 400 (120) comes out to $45ish here in Toronto :( And when you throw the development on top of it..

Or from the film photography podcast store, there going for $29.24 plus shipping:
http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/120-kodak-portra-400-5-pack

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sweet, I'll buy from there!

Edit: 400 shot at 3200 and pushed only 1 stop? I've been underestimating portra.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 21, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Portra 400 is god.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Portra 400 is god.

No kidding. Guess I need to start pushing portra.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've shot a single roll from 400 - 1600, not pushed in development, and had every shot come out okay (ignoring the rubbish content of the photos).

Thats shot at 1600 (accidentally as I've didn't change my camera settings as the sun was setting in the hard shade), with no push.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I stand by my cheat code for photos comment.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
I have a couple rolls of Acros and a couple of Tri-X sitting around that I want to develop. I shot the Tri-X at a variety of speeds from 400 to 1600 because I intend to stand develop. I was thinking Rodinal and I found plenty of Acros and Tri-X stuff developed in Rodinal that I like on Flickr. This will be my first home develop and I was really hoping to grab a pile of Arista Premium from Freestyle in the same order. Is this my best bet? Should I worry about expiration if I'm only using tiny amounts for stand developing?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Rodinal basically never goes bad so you should be ok.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

I have a couple rolls of Acros and a couple of Tri-X sitting around that I want to develop. I shot the Tri-X at a variety of speeds from 400 to 1600 because I intend to stand develop. I was thinking Rodinal and I found plenty of Acros and Tri-X stuff developed in Rodinal that I like on Flickr. This will be my first home develop and I was really hoping to grab a pile of Arista Premium from Freestyle in the same order. Is this my best bet? Should I worry about expiration if I'm only using tiny amounts for stand developing?

That's the stuff you want. I have only used it a couple of times so far but it's nice.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

Rodinal basically never goes bad so you should be ok.

Speaking of which, I've got 2 unopened bottles of HC-110 that expire next month. Have been in the fridge the whole time. I assume they're gonna be good to use for a while longer? I've got 10 months before I move...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Speaking of which, I've got 2 unopened bottles of HC-110 that expire next month. Have been in the fridge the whole time. I assume they're gonna be good to use for a while longer? I've got 10 months before I move...

HC-110s expiration date can be completely ignored, the bottle will leak before the syrup goes bad. My current one claims an exp date of 08-2012 and there is no difference in quality from the day I bought it. I don't keep it in the fridge just in a closet a away from the light.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Me again with more annoying questions regarding reciprocity failure

T-MAX 100, from my metered reading I got 1:40 (with my filters stacked, in this instance it was 1/60 + 25 red + 10 stop ND)

The Kodak chart says that for "1 minute just + 1/3 stop aperture" (the next time on the chart is 10 minutes)

Another Reciprocity chart I found online say I should expose at about 3 minutes at 1:40 (they had "1 minute adjusted to 2 minutes, and 2 minutes adjusted to 4:30 so I estimated around 3 minutes to be ok for 1:40?)

this new app I've got which does reciprocity failure calculations taking into consideration any filters you might use says I should give 5:59, another similar app gave me something like 4 minutes

yet this guy I follow on flickr says he never takes into account reciprocity failure and he often goes up to (but not over) 3 minutes

So which is right? It just seems to be a pretty big variation between 3 minutes and 6

How do you guys take into account this, or do you generally try and stay away from exposure times that enter into these territories? (from what I gather most good quality films like Acros are pretty good up to 120 seconds? is this right?)

Or am I right in guessing that exposure times between 3-5 minutes aren't going to be too destroyed by over/underexposure that they couldn't be saved with post production?

sorry if this is too annoying, and inb4 "test a bunch of shots at different times and see what you get", I just wanted to see what y'all had to say about the difference in opinions... :) )

sorry for confusing convoluted post. just doing my nut in being scared of having great photos screwed by misunderstanding..

NB these iphone apps seem pretty neat, and really easy to use. This one is called "Reciprocity Timer". Another one called "Film Timer" has some different formulae from different people you can choose for the same film stock so you get some different outcomes which adds more confusion. They cost between $1-2

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 22, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here's some dude's album of Portra 400 pushed 3 stops :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phloodpants/sets/72157626086079045/

:fap:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

8th-snype posted:

That's the stuff you want. I have only used it a couple of times so far but it's nice.

when did it become "r09 one shot" instead of adonal or whatever adox was calling it

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I've been digging on FP4+ as of late. I like what I can get out of it in 30+ second exposures.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Genderfluid posted:

when did it become "r09 one shot" instead of adonal or whatever adox was calling it

I think Agfa owns/owned the trademark to the 'Rodinal' name, but the formula is public domain so different companies make it under different names. I have a couple bottles of Adox Adonal and r09 is just what Compard calls it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I still don't really like Ektar.

Mr. Plywood by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

I still don't really like Ektar.

Mr. Plywood by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I'm not an Ektar fan either but that looks nice.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
i like ektar, it's just very situational. in the right settings where you have fairly bright light and want saturated color it's excellent. two of my favorite photos of mine were taken on it.

Matisse Museum, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Seaside Bench, Promenade des Anglais, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Genderfluid posted:

i like ektar, it's just very situational. in the right settings where you have fairly bright light and want saturated color it's excellent. two of my favorite photos of mine were taken on it.

Matisse Museum, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Seaside Bench, Promenade des Anglais, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr
Those are both sweet, really like the second one especially. I shot a few rolls of Ektar recently that I'm still developing and scanning, hopefully get something nice out of it. All in bright sunshine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I agree with Genderfluid that Ektar is very situational. For every roll of Portra/400H I go through, at some point I come across a shot I know would look fantastic with Ektar but it's not enough to convince me to shoot it with any regularity. If I had a camera with a removable back or shot 4x5, I'd probably keep some on hand.