Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

AltoidsAddict posted:

I could only take 20 minutes of Death of a Ghost Hunter. Is there any reason to endure the rest of it?

Absolutely not, it's loving horrible. I watched it to the end only because I couldn't find the remote and was too tired to get up and turn the tv off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Sham I Am posted:

The final season of Fringe is up. I just got through the first 4 seasons a few weeks ago, which were pretty good. unfortunately after only watching one episode, the story for season 5 seems like it is going to be pretty bad.

I enjoyed the final season quite a bit more than Season 4, but YMMV of course.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ishamael posted:

I enjoyed the final season quite a bit more than Season 4, but YMMV of course.

The ending was top-notch, too. So glad to see a Sci-fi show finish in a satisfying way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I highly recommend Doc Martin.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Doc_Martin/70140378?trkid=13641790

It is a British comedy-drama about a very cranky and unpleasant surgeon who after developing a blood phobia becomes general practitioner to a small seaside village. He is loud, rude, outspoken, highly opinionated, arrogant, and self centered but Martin Clunes nails the character and has amazing charisma. The acting in the series is superb. Unfortunately the serial writing is very formulaic... Doc pisses someone off, village gets angry at Doc, Doc looks foolish, Doc turns out to be right.. or wrong, everyone forgives him. The character/series arcs are better though nothing will really surprise you. American viewers who have seen House will instantly draw parallels but do your best to put them aside and keep watching. Despite the negatives, I became very attached to the characters and there were moments where I was genuinely emotional, which never happens. Eventually Doc Martin's back story is revealed and you not only understand why he is the way he is but can freely root for him. Now I just need to find Series 5.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wormil posted:

Now I just need to find Series 5.

Check Hulu.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

You are my hero. Been so long since I've been on Hulu I didn't even think to look there.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
Watching You Bet Your Life and in the very first episode available, the guests are a pair of Hungarian refugees who fled the Nazi regime but gush over chess and American movies. They are Baroness Jamie Lee Curtis's grandparents.

Don't click on that spoiler unless you have absolutely no intention of watching it, because the way it's set up is amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Good news everyone! The PS3 Netflix app now tells you when a program is set to expire! How It's Made is off the service on the 26th!

Wait, only one of those things is good news. :smith:

EDIT: Huh, the browser one does that too now. When was that added? I haven't seen it before I went to put How It's Made on before bed last night.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I would kill for more MST3K on there.

- The Final Sacrifice
- Pod People
- Soul Taker

are all hilarious if you haven't seen them.

EDIT: I just watched Our Idiot Brother, and it was a real cute movie. I was grinning like a dope by the end of it.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Sep 21, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
MST3K The Movie is pretty decent and still on there, too. There are better episodes, but it's still a good watch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did they take "My List" off or am I an idiot? I saw it once after it launched and haven't seen it since on my blu ray player, ps3, or the website

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Apparently King of the Hill is being taken off on 10/1/13 so get to watching it while you can. 13 seasons in 9 days may sound daunting but it's only 21 minutes long so it's still mathematically possible. :)

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Just watched Let America Laugh. It's a funny little behind the scenes documentary from one of David Cross' tours. The set up/intro is a cheesy little skit, so just sit through it for 5 minutes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Apparently King of the Hill is being taken off on 10/1/13 so get to watching it while you can. 13 seasons in 9 days may sound daunting but it's only 21 minutes long so it's still mathematically possible. :)

My daughter is on her fourth time watching the entire series since it first went up.

skog
Aug 20, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

This is really sad because if I remember correctly, there are only like 5 seasons on DVD. It's gonna be forgotten forever :(

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I hope this is just one of those situations where they renew the license before the expiration date.

Oh god, I hope that's the case. :ohdear:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NienNunb posted:

I hope this is just one of those situations where they renew the license before the expiration date.

Oh god, I hope that's the case. :ohdear:

That's what they've done before. It was listed as expiring, then it went back up.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
So what's the story with the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff? I thought they would be adding more seasons but everything seems limited to season one. Will more seasons be available in the future?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Deadite posted:

So what's the story with the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff? I thought they would be adding more seasons but everything seems limited to season one. Will more seasons be available in the future?

Hopefully, because the run-time of an entire season of the average Adult Swim show is about 14 minutes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Typically Netflix coincides seasonal additions with the beginnings and endings of seasons on networks, or their contracts do this for them. It's possible that Cartoon Network's insane scheduling madness and endless seasons are obfuscating things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

Typically Netflix coincides seasonal additions with the beginnings and endings of seasons on networks, or their contracts do this for them. It's possible that Cartoon Network's insane scheduling madness and endless seasons are obfuscating things.

That would make sense, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the things that only have one season are multiple seasons behind, if the show is still running at all. Samurai Jack, for instance, only has the first season and that show hasn't aired in the better part of a decade.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure their timing on adding seasons for NBC shows is hosed this year, too. I'd bet someone in the contracts department got replaced or something.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Deadite posted:

Probably not seeing as how AS has explicitly stated that the whole point is to make you buy DVDs for the rest of them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Probably not seeing as how AS has explicitly stated that the whole point is to make you buy DVDs for the rest of them.

I can't wait for tv networks to understand Netflix and poo poo like it, because right now it's like trying to fuckin tell my grandpa how to print.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't wait for tv networks to understand Netflix and poo poo like it, because right now it's like trying to fuckin tell my grandpa how to print.

Considering that the viewership of Breaking Bad more than doubled between last season and this one thanks almost entirely to the show being on Netflix I figure they can only keep their heads buried in the sand for so long.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Considering that the viewership of Breaking Bad more than doubled between last season and this one thanks almost entirely to the show being on Netflix I figure they can only keep their heads buried in the sand for so long.

I know I finally got around to watching it because it was there, and had everything that had aired up to that point. It's not like I can go to Blockbuster and rent the poo poo, now, and I'm sure as hell not dropping 50+ dollars buying a season for a show I've never seen.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Just watched a tense and unsettling supernatural horror movie - Resolution. NPR did a decent writeup of it, but it offers a few minor spoilers so I wouldn't look it up. I would go in blind.

If you like weird horror give it a shot.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I've been waiting desperately for Aladdin. Does anyone know what's up with the licences to Disney movies. Are we going to get a bunch more soon?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Good news everyone! The PS3 Netflix app now tells you when a program is set to expire! How It's Made is off the service on the 26th!

Wait, only one of those things is good news. :smith:

EDIT: Huh, the browser one does that too now. When was that added? I haven't seen it before I went to put How It's Made on before bed last night.

This is devastating news :smith:

I wanted to watch every episode of How It's Made and learn about everything but barely made a dent considering how many there are. Hopefully they'll come back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's that time of year again- I'm rewatching Terriers. If you haven't seen this show yet, go watch it right now. Well, I'll let you wait til Monday, because of the Breaking Bad finale, but watch it as soon as possible. It's only one season, but it's such a great single season. It ties plot and stand-alone cases really well, and the way each case kind of comes up organically from earlier events is something that a lot of shows haven't been able to match.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm liking Hatfields & McCoys, and I love Deadwood. Are there any other serious/gritty-ish Westerns of the same kind on Netflix I might like? I've already seen that remake of the John Wayne movie starring The Dude.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Dead Man, if you haven't seen it yet. It's Jim Jarmusch, so it's not necessarily for everyone. It's beautifully shot, though, and Neil Young's score is gorgeously haunting.

Unrelated, but I just watched Happy People: A Year in the Taiga, and it was just fantastic.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Sep 26, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Soul Glo posted:

I'm liking Hatfields & McCoys, and I love Deadwood. Are there any other serious/gritty-ish Westerns of the same kind on Netflix I might like? I've already seen that remake of the John Wayne movie starring The Dude.

Maybe "Hell on Wheels"? It's not the greatest show, in my opinion, but it might scratch that itch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Maybe "Hell on Wheels"? It's not the greatest show, in my opinion, but it might scratch that itch.

Meh. I saw the pilot. After the introduction made zero sense (how did he know to be in that confessional?!), I kinda checked out, but I DID finish the first episode. :shrug:

Crow Jane posted:

Dead Man, if you haven't seen it yet. It's Jim Jarmusch, so it's not necessarily for everyone. It's beautifully shot, though, and Neil Young's score is gorgeously haunting.

Cool, thanks.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Sadly it's not on instant, but if a modern type of Western works Justified, also with Timothy Olyphant, is absolutely amazing. I'm terrible at getting through DVD shows for some reason so I've yet to see Deadwood though I really want to.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

AzureSkys posted:

Sadly it's not on instant, but if a modern type of Western works Justified, also with Timothy Olyphant, is absolutely amazing. I'm terrible at getting through DVD shows for some reason so I've yet to see Deadwood though I really want to.

It is on Amazon's Prime Instant video if you've got access to that though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AzureSkys posted:

Yeah, I got the first season on DVD. That would be a good show for Netflix to add (and season 5 of Sons of Anarchy :argh:).

I bought the entire run of Deadwood a few years ago for around $120. It was worth every penny.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I haven't gotten around to watching Lonesome Dove yet, but it's one of my favorite books, possibly my favorite ever, and the miniseries is well respected. And a western show with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall has to be cool if nothing else.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Season 3 of Louie was just added, so get up on that show if you haven't yet.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Season 3 of Louie was just added, so get up on that show if you haven't yet.

Great timing, was thinking about buying it on iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Soul Glo posted:

Oh, and it's not what I would call gritty, but The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is a really wonderful classic western.

• Locked thread