Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This arc has made all of TB:NW so so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks like it's turning into another variation of the Journey to the West.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

alkanphel posted:

Looks like it's turning into another variation of the Journey to the West.

If you had told me at the very beginning that this comic would turn out like this I would have laughed at you for being a crazy person.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I didn't heed the warnings about Can't See, Can't Hear But Love and marathoned a bunch of chapters at a time. Eventually, I had to stop because my poor heart couldn't take it anymore. :qq:

Luckily though I found a neat little manhwa to cure the depression! Nineteen, Twenty-One is one of the most cute and beautiful stories I've seen to date. It focuses on a girl learning to cope with her accident by taking care of stray cats with the help of a boy she meets. I'd say it's 2/3ds about caring for stray cats and 1/3 about romance. The art is by the person who does Girls of the Wild's, by the way.

Can anyone else suggest other manhwas like this? Most of the other ones I know of lean more towards action, so I'd prefer some relaxed stories. Along with Nineteen, Twenty-One, I guess Dear, Only You Don't Know also fits into this category.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
poo poo gets even more real in Afterschool Military Activity. :smith:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Noblesse is finally done with that awful flashback. I started reading City of Dead Sorcerer. The main character cop plays an online combat game where his online opponent uses Blood Field too repeatedly win. Is this some backhanded slight over how overpowered Rai is in Noblesse? If so, it is classic.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love SADNESS INCARNATE Chapter 75 is available. It's kinda hard for me to read though, this room has so much dust in it and it keeps getting in my eyes.

A... happy... ish... chapter? Oh god, what is going to go horribly wrong next chapter.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love SADNESS INCARNATE Chapter 75 is available. It's kinda hard for me to read though, this room has so much dust in it and it keeps getting in my eyes.

A... happy... ish... chapter? Oh god, what is going to go horribly wrong next chapter.

I have flatly refused to read this until it completes, my heart will just not take it. I would need a giant fluffy dog standing next to me and maybe all 3 of my Nieces in the room to survive.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Everything is shaping up to be better! The grandma is going to be okay, Dong-Seog is going to make Yunjeong stop being so dependent on Geun-Soo and suicidal, the assistant will help Sori find Geun-Soo and the president is going to pay to cure Geun-Soo of whatever disease he had! Everything will be all okay and there will only be happiness. If that doesn't actually happen, well, I'll reject that ending and assume the scanlation stops.

Because there's no wiki for this manhwa, I have to re-read the series from the start just to know the name of the 119 Guy. Remember when this series, although just as sad as now, was still cute?

Also, was there a flashback for the cat?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Can't See Can't Hear But Love is like some sort of black comedy. The sheer frequency of depressing events is almost funny.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:qq:

You just know that poo poo's gonna hit the fan next chapter. This was too hopeful and happy to last.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mo_Steel posted:

If this poo poo doesn't have a happy ending I'm loving flying down there to beat this guy up so bad. Unless he's bigger than me.

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked
Holy poo poo, the bitch didn't die, didn't see that coming.

When I first saw this I thought it was gonna be some lame smarmy assed bullshit, I could not have been more wrong.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Breaker: New Waves 129

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Shioon is pretty actually terrifying right now. I don't know what to say.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Kneel Before Z-erm Shioon!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I hope things stay like this forever. :unsmigghh:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Rip and Tear Shioon, Rip and Tear.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mo_Steel posted:

I think I was reading it wrong, but wasn't the Doctor and the Welder's conversation about how what Shioon was going through being similar to Sosul? I hope I read it wrong, and we don't get super wimpy Shioon for another arc, before he can be badass again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh hey, guess who else had a habit of pushing back his hair like that.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh hey, guess who else had a habit of pushing back his hair like that.

Yeah there have been a lot of artistic call backs to 9-Arts in the recent chapters. Now that Shioon's ki center is fixed (and apparently better than ever, perhaps even into legendary status.) I hope we can immediately get back to the main story. This arc was ridiculously awesome but I want Shioon to finish putting a beating on the SUC, the assholes in the Murim, and confront 9-Arts all while turning Sunwoo into the #1 rear end kicking clan again.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KittyEmpress posted:

I think I was reading it wrong, but wasn't the Doctor and the Welder's conversation about how what Shioon was going through being similar to Sosul? I hope I read it wrong, and we don't get super wimpy Shioon for another arc, before he can be badass again.

We've already had the super-wimpy Shioon arc for eleventy million years, it would be incredibly loving stupid to lapse back into that.

So I give it 3:2 odds on :v:

Isn't Sosul's body supposed to be the complete opposite of what Shioon's is supposed to be right now? All nine chi centres blocked or whatever it is.

I swear to God, I find Korean martial arts gibberish to be infinitely harder to parse than Japanese martial arts gibberish and I have no idea why.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who even tries to parse this poo poo instead of just going "Yeah uh huh chi center sure gently caress HE JUST KICKED A CAR IN HALF"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Autonomous Monster posted:

We've already had the super-wimpy Shioon arc for eleventy million years, it would be incredibly loving stupid to lapse back into that.

So I give it 3:2 odds on :v:

Isn't Sosul's body supposed to be the complete opposite of what Shioon's is supposed to be right now? All nine chi centres blocked or whatever it is.

I swear to God, I find Korean martial arts gibberish to be infinitely harder to parse than Japanese martial arts gibberish and I have no idea why.

Hell, I'm Korean and pretty much read only the raws and even I don't get a bunch of what's been talked about regarding the chi centers and whatnot. The Breaker does seem a lot more complicated than the other Korean martial arts manhwas I've read (ChunRangYhulJun, NOW, YhulHyulGangHo, MaJe) and the one Korean wuxia novel I've read (BiRweDo).

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Hell, I'm Korean and pretty much read only the raws and even I don't get a bunch of what's been talked about regarding the chi centers and whatnot. The Breaker does seem a lot more complicated than the other Korean martial arts manhwas I've read (ChunRangYhulJun, NOW, YhulHyulGangHo, MaJe) and the one Korean wuxia novel I've read (BiRweDo).
I just really hope that Shioon now truly has the ability, again, to use his Chi. I'm postulating the reason his "old master" destroyed Shioon's Chi-Center to begin with was so that Shioon could "evolve" past the "norm" and become this super-Chi master that he apparently is becoming -- the Hwan Gol Tal Tae -- whatever that is. Does someone have a good translation for that? I saw "overhaul rebirth". He is the "overhaul rebirth"? Doesn't really make a lot of sense.

So...really, he's been on that loving island long enough. Leave the island, regain your Chi abilities, and do some serious rear end kicking. Please.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's probably unlikely that Shioon will be like Lady Sosul. They haven't revealed that point yet, but it seems like the Murim (or rather, the old rear end in a top hat that used to run it) found out about her ability and sealed her Ki centers so she couldn't reach her potential. Of course now we see that the Black Forest Defense Group probably undid that stuff and she's burning dudes alive with her phoenix powers.

It's interesting to see what happens next because there are a lot of plot points to hit, even from the first series. One thing that's weird is figuring out how much of this is (half) a part of someone else's plan. It's unlikely that Chun-woo is a super, mega villain and he even went through the trouble of training Shioon through VHS although he does work for the Black Forest Defense Group so he was probably never really a good guy. I also want to know what Chun Hyuk's role in all this is because he seemed to order the Heavenly Way to kidnap Shioon and give him to the blood doctor in the first place.

Meanwhile, Chun-woo is taking over Japan, SUC is roaming around freely powered by poisonous Ki riceballs, and presumably, Shi-Ho is about to be resurrected. Shits getting good. :getin:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The "Overhaul Rebirth / HwanGolTalTe" is 환골탈태 (換骨奪胎). It's a saying that basically means "to become a whole new person." It's generally (if not always) used in a positive sense. The Naver dictionary defines 환골탈태 as to "turn over a new leaf."

換 = To Change
骨 = Bone
奪 = To Take Away
胎 = To Birth (Can also refer to the placenta; 태를 가르다 means to cut the umbilical cord)

In essence, by changing your bones and take out the placenta (or birth, I honestly have no idea what the 태 is supposed to mean) your face and body change for the better to the point where you become someone virtually unrecognizable.

It originates from some monk's writings. It originally applied to poems and poo poo.

“황산곡(黃山谷:본명 庭堅)이 말하기를 시의 뜻은 무궁한데 사람의 재주는 한이 있다. 한이 있는 재주로 무궁한 뜻을 쫓는다는 것은 불가능한 일이다. 그러나 그 뜻을 바꾸지 않고 그 말을 만드는 것을 가리켜 환골법(換骨法)이라 하고 그 뜻을 본받아 형용(形容)하는 것을 가리켜 탈태법(奪胎法)이라 한다.”

“As some dude said, the meaning of poems in infinite but a person's limits are finite. Chasing infinite meanings with finite talent is impossible. But making the words while not changing the meaning is called 환골법(換骨法) and taking that meaning and expressing it is called 탈태법(奪胎法).”

In terms of wuxia, 환골탈태 (換骨奪胎) is a bit more literal. It's like an actual metamorphosis. Every part of you becomes renewed and poo poo. You need tons of ki to be able to achieve it, and generally some sort of awakening / enlightenment as well (though the latter can be ignored if you happen on a miracle or a pill). Different wuxia authors have different standards / specifics (for instance, it can be brought on about by hitting the limit of ki your body can attain and needing a new body to be able to gather more ki, or a result of a weak body suddenly gaining a fuckton of ki and needing a body that can handle it) but it just boils down to "you are reborn even stronger". Physical changes are also possible. Your skin gets all fresh, teeth grow back, lose your wrinkles, etc.

So the "Overhaul Rebirth" is a state that you reach. I actually like A-Team's choice of translation, since it does describe it very well - by overhauling everything, you're reborn. Though I suppose it might make more sense if you already know what HwanGolTalTe means.

Hope that answers your question.

Some other words that could be used in lieu of Overhaul Rebirth, as provided by some dude answer the question of what HwanGolTalTe is in one of the Naver Questions pages I went to.

Body changing : 몸 변이
Grand cross : 위대한 교차
Corpus mutatio : (라틴) 몸 교체 ---발음이 좀 그렇네요;
Transformation: 변화
Super metamorphosis: 엄청난 변태(變胎)
Manasm body trans : 마나적 몸체 변이
Body shift : 몸 변이

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hope that answers your question.

This is seriously awesome. Thanks for this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dan7el posted:

I just really hope that Shioon now truly has the ability, again, to use his Chi. I'm postulating the reason his "old master" destroyed Shioon's Chi-Center to begin with was so that Shioon could "evolve" past the "norm" and become this super-Chi master that he apparently is becoming -- the Hwan Gol Tal Tae -- whatever that is. Does someone have a good translation for that? I saw "overhaul rebirth". He is the "overhaul rebirth"? Doesn't really make a lot of sense.

So...really, he's been on that loving island long enough. Leave the island, regain your Chi abilities, and do some serious rear end kicking. Please.

I thought the reason 9-Arts broke his chi center was to keep him from getting involved in murim poo poo anymore. Like, I'm 90% sure this is the actual stated reason.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Dickeye posted:

I thought the reason 9-Arts broke his chi center was to keep him from getting involved in murim poo poo anymore. Like, I'm 90% sure this is the actual stated reason.
That was my guess based purely on only reading the second incarnation of this manwa. I never read the first part, so I've never seen Shioon and his master together. I do believe I recall that this explanation was given even in this new incarnation. It makes perfect sense that he broke his Chi center to keep his student from getting involved in the Murim. However, seems a bit cruel and drastic. After training a student, you then take away his ability to use what you taught him?

Also, the act appears to have been in vain anyway. More or less.

Plus, I like to think that perhaps the master saw the pure, raw potential in his student and did the unthinkable in order to make his student reach new, impossible heights.

Or...he really wanted to keep him out of the Murim.

By the way, thanks for the Overhaul Rebirth explanation, ZepiaEltnamOberon. That helps a lot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Man what are you talking about, reading New Waves without reading the original? Read the original! It's a lot of Shioon being a wimp but the ending is pure Rip And Tear.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New Kubera. The chaos priestess is pretty bad rear end.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Lyon posted:

New Kubera. The chaos priestess is pretty bad rear end.

I don't think she stands a chance against them. Hopefully Yuta will come and then rip and tear everything to pieces. I mean given his current state I don't think he will think twice about what to do :unsmigghh:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dan7el posted:

However, seems a bit cruel and drastic. After training a student, you then take away his ability to use what you taught him?

9-Arts was not exactly in the best frames of mind to make rational decisions when he did that.

(Read the first half of the comic, seriously.)

I suspect that nobody ever imagined that under everything Shioon was before all this started, there really WAS a complete and utter badass that Murim had somehow completely passed by. Like it or not, at this stage he BELONGS with them.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Bernardo Orel posted:

I don't think she stands a chance against them. Hopefully Yuta will come and then rip and tear everything to pieces. I mean given his current state I don't think he will think twice about what to do :unsmigghh:

I took the implication to be that Ghandharva will make his decision and end up siding with her. I think Ghandharva will be as weak or as strong as the author wants, so if the priestess is going to live Ghandharva will be able to defeat the other Sura.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

No, it got fixed so now she's somehow burning dudes with her mind or something. She had all nine meridians blocked, while Shioon started out with 3 of them blocked. The medicine Shioon took unblocked them for him, and the process of having them fixed made him way stronger than normal. Having all nine blocked and then fixed is supposed to be even better. He was basically the guinea pig for the procedure that ended up fixing Sosul.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Algid posted:

No, it got fixed so now she's somehow burning dudes with her mind or something. She had all nine meridians blocked, while Shioon started out with 3 of them blocked. The medicine Shioon took unblocked them for him, and the process of having them fixed made him way stronger than normal. Having all nine blocked and then fixed is supposed to be even better. He was basically the guinea pig for the procedure that ended up fixing Sosul.

Right, I knew that was the plan, I just don't remember them putting it into action.

Though I do remember Sosul kicking arse, so, uh, ignore me I guess.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Lyon posted:

I took the implication to be that Ghandharva will make his decision and end up siding with her. I think Ghandharva will be as weak or as strong as the author wants, so if the priestess is going to live Ghandharva will be able to defeat the other Sura.

Didn't Ghandharva fight off Agni, even in his diminished state? Nastika are stronger than Gods, but not so much in their human forms. And Sagara basically talked her way out of dodge with Agni. Which wound imply that however weakened he is, Ghandgarva is still weak relative to his usual state of being able to eat a planet for breakfast.

Although Yuna reads him as vulnerable prey in his current state. But Yuna is potentially fuckoff powerful, what with being the son of a Nastika and a Primal God and all. Is there even another being like him in the setting?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

After roughly seven million years of loving nothing, God of Bath is updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a side note, the current chapter of Breaker: New Waves isn't the first time the writer has used the "loyal subjects watch in silent fury as their head fights for his life" type of situation.

I realize it's in Korean, but the point gets across without a translation, I'd think.