Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

The base was kind of poo poo anyways, it just seemed like a few plates on stilts with some huge windows stuck to the sides.

I say you cobble together a meteor monitor by swapping the white for yellow. I did that as a kid, but the pieces on the wing tips were black because you couldn't get that 1x2 "gun" bit in yellow back then.

Apparently lego did eventually make them, but they're expensive. 70 cents each on bricklink. :monocle:

Yeah, looking at the meteor monitor, I think I'll build it. It's only 29 pieces, 10 of which is the minifigure. 70 cents each is nothing considering I'm headed back into Classic Space territory with Old Grey and Trans Yellow. The worst part is that so many stores only have singles of the old "unique" classic space pieces so trying to make minimum orders can be difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ltr posted:

Yeah, looking at the meteor monitor, I think I'll build it. It's only 29 pieces, 10 of which is the minifigure. 70 cents each is nothing considering I'm headed back into Classic Space territory with Old Grey and Trans Yellow. The worst part is that so many stores only have singles of the old "unique" classic space pieces so trying to make minimum orders can be difficult.

Good luck if you decide to build the classic bases.. those TV antennas run $15. Trans yellow is a bargain by comparison. :v:

I decided I could live without TV antennas.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

Good luck if you decide to build the classic bases.. those TV antennas run $15. Trans yellow is a bargain by comparison. :v:

I decided I could live without TV antennas.

Yeah, not doing bases. I have some old baseplates somewhere at my parents house for them, but I don't have space to display something that big and like you said, some of the pieces are very expensive. Spaceships and vehicles are the plan right now.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I cannot imagine a better application of LEGO Mindstorms than this.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
How did I from the past know that I would seek a clever distraction in this barren future is beyond me. Thanks bro.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Ka0 posted:

How did I from the past know that I would seek a clever distraction in this barren future is beyond me. Thanks bro.

Oh man, that was one of my favorite sets as a kid! I'm jealous.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I have that set on display with a few others from that series, I had forgotten how great the boxes look, I need to find a few of those older set boxes and put those on display as well.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GL9-3R Glacier (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

Found series 11 finally and I have doubles for trade:

Have:
Rock Climber
Elf
Bavarian Lady
Scientist Lady x2
Welder
Scarecrow
Lady Robot

Need:
Waitress
Tiki Guy

Shoot me a PM if you're stateside and want to trade!

Updated haves and needs!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ka0 posted:

Man...you...should've sold that sucker if it was MISB and just bought a used one. Last MISB one on Bricklink recently sold for $71, while the complete used sets go for 7-10 bucks.

Remember folks, MISB stuff from 15+ years ago can be worth a shitload. If you're not gonna collect MISB stuff, sell it to someone who does for like eight times the price and just buy a complete used one. Or maybe buy EIGHT used ones with the profits off the MISB one and build some super-conglomo-kit of them all put together.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

One of the last things I bought on ebay before asking myself "why are you buying these things just because they are a good deal even though you don't really want them" was a lot with the messenger intercept base, the interceptor and the walker used with boxes for 25 euros. The guy also had a couple of other lots for similarly low prices but they were all snatched up instantly.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Captain Invictus posted:

Man...you...should've sold that sucker if it was MISB and just bought a used one. Last MISB one on Bricklink recently sold for $71, while the complete used sets go for 7-10 bucks.

Naw it's cool. These guys are going to my heir, when he/she comes of age.
I have a transformers collection. I already have to deal with enough manchildren scalpers who "invest" in plastic dolls and jack up prices for a living, I can live without lego being another cash sinker.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Hey Foo, your stuff is pretty great but I was wondering, do you ever actually build your models and if so, would you have pics? I love the renders but physical models look so much more "badass" to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ka0 posted:

Naw it's cool. These guys are going to my heir, when he/she comes of age.
I have a transformers collection. I already have to deal with enough manchildren scalpers who "invest" in plastic dolls and jack up prices for a living, I can live without lego being another cash sinker.

Well yeah, I can completely understand that. I was more saying you could've sold the MISB one and bought 8 complete but boxless copies of that set with the money you get from selling the one that's in the box and been none the worse for wear.

If someone is willing to pay that price, why stop them? Especially if the box isn't important to you, but getting your kid more stuff to play around with is. I personally have a box of Transformers neatly packed away in bubblewrap for my future kids(and Legos, of course), but the ones I had still in the box I've decided to sell and just buy boxless versions at a third the price.

edit: oh and speaking as someone who was lucky to visit a Toys R Us that had a big bin up front of a bunch of mangled Lego boxes that were damaged in a delivery truck accident, kids usually won't care about having a bunch of the same copy of one Lego set. It just means more parts to build with. I got like 7 copies of that Ice Planet Missile Carrier and two Mega Core Magnetizers from that clearance, and I was the happiest little poo poo you ever did see.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 20, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Big L posted:

Hey Foo, your stuff is pretty great but I was wondering, do you ever actually build your models and if so, would you have pics? I love the renders but physical models look so much more "badass" to me.

I don't brick these things up. I'd like to, but if you look through some of my other posts in the thread I explain that'd it get really expensive. What I'd have to do is figure out a bunch of them to build, change the color schemes to stuff that's available, order a bunch of parts through brinklink and hope I can find them all, and then hope my designs will actually stand up under their own weight.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Heads up, TRU has a 20% coupon on their site that you can use on anything (excluding common things like gift cards and video game systems), including sale prices. Only good until tomorrow though. Works online and in store. On my way now to see if I can get anything for a decent price.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

UN Headquarters is Oct. 1 as per LEGO's Facebook (where they have a GIANT UN model). Buying the poo poo out of that.

Since I haven't done it in a while, I'm rotating my sets on display. It's sort of entropied to a resting place for LEGO more than a display, so I'll be pulling most of the smaller sets and probably the remaining LOTR stuff and replacing it with the Creator houses we have so far. That way I'll have Creator and Architecture up mostly. I'll get an "after" shot up when that happens (hopefully by Sunday, but we'll see.)

This is where it's at right now:

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Here's my second LDD project. I got POV-Ray working this time around too, so thanks for the help on that.

I'm calling it the Sparrow, maybe you can see why. It's supposed to be a short-range/orbital interceptor with 2 main thrusters off the back and two sets of bi-directional maneuvering thrusters with 360 degree rotation.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Wow. I never would have thought of putting that piece on top of the cockpit glass.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did a little more photography tonight.

"Miami"

"Evening"

"Rapture"

"July"

These got over-compressed when I exported, I need to fool around with that.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dang those are really cool looking

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

^^Great work, Tree-Phase!

rickiep00h posted:

UN Headquarters is Oct. 1 as per LEGO's Facebook (where they have a GIANT UN model). Buying the poo poo out of that.

Since I haven't done it in a while, I'm rotating my sets on display. It's sort of entropied to a resting place for LEGO more than a display, so I'll be pulling most of the smaller sets and probably the remaining LOTR stuff and replacing it with the Creator houses we have so far. That way I'll have Creator and Architecture up mostly. I'll get an "after" shot up when that happens (hopefully by Sunday, but we'll see.)

This is where it's at right now:

Nice, do you also do your building there or is that reserved for the basement/cave?

Also, Expedit bookcase, best bookcase for displaying Lego!

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Ka0 posted:

Coolest submarine ever. Fact.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

three-phase and TRS you guys are both awesome, those things rock!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
In case your curious - my main tools are a Nikon D5200 DSLR, a tripod, remote trigger, and an Energizer Night Strike flashlight.

I was inspired in part by the photography in some of the old Lego idea books.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm torn between these two sets:

On the one hand, croc boat. Hard to beat. But on the other, wolf caravan. Tough choice. Both sets cost a fortune where I live so I know I'll only get one for the time being.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Take a look at gorzan's gorilla too, guarantee you'll add it to your list.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Actually I already have it. Soon as I saw "gorilla mech", drat, that was an instabuy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ka0 posted:

I'm torn between these two sets:

On the one hand, croc boat. Hard to beat. But on the other, wolf caravan. Tough choice. Both sets cost a fortune where I live so I know I'll only get one for the time being.

Croc boat, hands down. It comes with a stack of parts in army green including 2 dinghies. Plus the boat shell is awesome. A friend bought it and made a rad WW2 anti aircraft patrol boat.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lizard Combatant posted:

Croc boat, hands down. It comes with a stack of parts in army green including 2 dinghies. Plus the boat shell is awesome. A friend bought it and made a rad WW2 anti aircraft patrol boat.

As soon as it appeared in our store I said to my coworkers that AFOLs will love this for making military MOCs. I'd love to see some pictures of this AAPB if you can get some!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Neurion posted:

As soon as it appeared in our store I said to my coworkers that AFOLs will love this for making military MOCs. I'd love to see some pictures of this AAPB if you can get some!

I'll send him a text. The amount of curves and plates in army green is really good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Need some Will Smith and Kevin Kline minifigures to fight this thing.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That's pretty impressive.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Reminds me of a strandbeest

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Reminds me of a strandbeest

I believe it was inspired by that.

The author had a diagram in the form of a gif, showing the mechanism of legs. It was crazy complicated.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Nah they're not that bad really once you see them in Lego.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Did a little more photography tonight.

"Miami"

"Evening"

"Rapture"

"July"

These got over-compressed when I exported, I need to fool around with that.

These are cool! I've been working on something similar this weekend:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Epic Hamcat posted:

These are cool! I've been working on something similar this weekend:

too soon, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Built this mostly from memory. The torso ended up too tall due to using them aqua zone bits, but I really like the head.

I knew I had to throw one together as soon as I saw the Krangg mini fig.