Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm a Brit currently in Germany for work, and was speaking to some young Germans at a bar. It was interesting learning about their views on Merkel etc. Could some one give me a potted run down on what the parties stand for? I'm guessing the pirate party is a protest vote magnet, and the communist party is unpopular, so it is between merkel and a slightly more leftist candidate, is that correct? I'm trying to follow the news but my german is nicht so gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CancerCakes posted:

I'm a Brit currently in Germany for work, and was speaking to some young Germans at a bar. It was interesting learning about their views on Merkel etc. Could some one give me a potted run down on what the parties stand for? I'm guessing the pirate party is a protest vote magnet, and the communist party is unpopular, so it is between merkel and a slightly more leftist candidate, is that correct? I'm trying to follow the news but my german is nicht so gut.

Cannot comment right now (will do so later) because holy poo poo, according to ZDF the AfD gets more votes than the FDP! But both just under the 5% threshold. With the CDU 3!! seats away from being able to govern alone!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

There's been a roughly 0% chance of Merkel (CDU/CSU, conservative) losing the election. The gamut of outcomes is Merkel forming a coalition with the FDP (liberals) if they manage to break the 5% threshold, Merkel forming a coalition with the Social Democrats if the FDP falls below the threshold, or Merkel forming a coalition with the Greens if she's feeling frisky. The left isn't winning this election.

e: or Merkel governing alone apparently :wth:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

CancerCakes posted:

These two Spiegel articles I dredged up helped me to clear up some misunderstandings about how German voting works, and there's a rundown of the parties as well.

Germany's Voting System Explained & Guide to German Political Parties

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Torrannor posted:

Cannot comment right now (will do so later) because holy poo poo, according to ZDF the AfD gets more votes than the FDP! But both just under the 5% threshold. With the CDU 3!! seats away from being able to govern alone!
Yeah. The CDU potentially governing alone. :staredog:

On the other hand, both FDP and AfD not in the Bundestag? Yes, please. And Hesse is looking pretty good right now, too. :sun:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
If it stays like this we'll most likely see a new attempt to get the 5 % threshold declared unconstitutional.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

parrhesia posted:

Yeah. The CDU potentially governing alone. :staredog:

On the other hand, both FDP and AfD not in the Bundestag? Yes, please. And Hesse is looking pretty good right now, too. :sun:

but thats without counting the votes from postal ballots and these should be at least 1/5th of total votes

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How do European states treat their constitutions anyway?
I mean I assume they don't treat it like a sacred document handed down to us from demigods like us Americans, but you guys do respect it a bit right?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

^^ Yes, usually (exceptions apply, see Vorratsdatenspeicherung etc)

Randler posted:

I have no trust in the current SPD's ability to govern whatsoever.

The SPD always was best at sabotaging itself, but since Schröder it feels like every few months some Genossen try to drag the pary in a new direction kicking and screaming. The absurd amount of infighting the SPD has makes them unelectable for me. If I vote SPD today, I just cannot be sure that tomorrow they won't do a 180°. Furthermore, there is a significant amount of stuff SPD politicians did, that do not mesh with my political views at all, chief amongst them the SPD trying to jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon with Sarrazin's made-up statistics and the blatant dishonesty the SPD has shown with regards to the military engagements in Kosovo and Iraq. (The incompetence of the current NRW administration is a strike against the SPD for me as well.)

So with me firmly being against any SPD involvement in the federal government, rooting for CDU and FDP is the only valid choice. The fact that Merkel is pretty good at taking down any of the more hardline conservatives to stiffle competition is just making it easier for me.

This is pretty much my reasoning for voting CDU/FDP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Funnily enough (or not) the left has the majority of seats in the Bundestag, but lovely people in the SPD and Die Linke refuse to work together and Die Linke not really being fit to govern means that the CDU will lead the government. Also :argh: at the Green Party, why are you doing dumb poo poo like mandated vegetarian days? And did you not learn from the CDU that you don't tell the people beforehand that you will raise taxes, even if it is unavoidable?

When the CDU gets an outright majority it is really the time to talk about emigrating (and never doing it of course). What is wrong with the people?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Watching ARD right now, looks like both FDP and AfD failed to clear 5%. But only barely. AfD actually ahead of FDP so far, 4.9% to 4.7%.

Piraten only at 2.3% :(

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

oh god please no CDU and AfD coalition, that would be the SuperGauck

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hesse is looking like it's going to be close, at least.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Teron D Amun posted:

but thats without counting the votes from postal ballots and these should be at least 1/5th of total votes
I know, but are postal ballots usually skewed either to the left or right? A cursory search didn't lead me to any decent statistics on this, so if you have any, that would be much appreciated.
If they are mostly similar to traditional voting, it shouldn't change the end result.

Also, I'm furiously :f5: the ARD and ZDF website. Please crash and burn, AfD.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Teron D Amun posted:

Pretty sure those get counted first, and reported at 18:00.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Teron D Amun posted:

Seems pretty unlikely considering how allll over stability and Europe the CDU is.

elwood posted:

If it stays like this we'll most likely see a new attempt to get the 5 % threshold declared unconstitutional.
Yeah right now that's over 15% of voters not represented in their parliament, and even without Sonstige it's still almost 10. That's a pretty strong point for giving the threshold another look at least.

Even though it couldn't have happened to nicer parties.

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

parrhesia posted:

I know, but are postal ballots usually skewed either to the left or right? A cursory search didn't lead me to any decent statistics on this, so if you have any, that would be much appreciated.
If they are mostly similar to traditional voting, it shouldn't change the end result.

Also, I'm furiously :f5: the ARD and ZDF website. Please crash and burn, AfD.

As somebody who knows very little about them, what is so wrong with AfD? I thought most people here were against the Euro?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
These results can easily shift still. We don't know if AfD is out until late tonight. FDP looks pretty hosed.

I don't see a CDU/AfD coalition working out, the AfD was founded specifically to oppose Merkels Euro policy, and she won't back down on that. Especially if she can get the SPD. Although in some calculations they are one or two seats away from being able to govern without a coalition, which is pretty :staredog:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

vickser posted:

As somebody who knows very little about them, what is so wrong with AfD? I thought most people here were against the Euro?

It's a right-wing populist party that mirrors Britain's UKIP in most of the worst ways. "gently caress you, got mine" in the worst way.

They're also kinda teabaggy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

vickser posted:

They're pretty much a bunch of neocons hiding behind a populist "common sense" facade. They're all "free market über alles" until you come to such pesky topics like marriage/adoption equality or contraception.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

pretty scary to think that without the FDP in the parliamant theres nothing (well, no Leutheuser-Schnarrenberger) to stop the CDU hardliners from doing their poo poo except maybe Seehofer :staredog:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

vickser posted:

There are all sorts of different objections that people have to how the Eurozone works financially and how the current crisis is being handled. As far as that goes, the AfD is largely the party of those who are super mad about lazy swarthy Southlanders sucking us dry (but can't quite bring themselves to vote for neonazis). That is not a popular viewpoint here, no.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

vickser posted:

I don't think most people here are against the Euro. And the Euro has actually gained in approval since the financial crisis began, so an exit from the Euro would be not representative of the majority of German people.

I personally think these people (the AfD) are dangerous and delusional, and should not get votes ever.

Edit: Thanks for the correction Simon!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 22, 2013

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Torrannor posted:

I don't think most people here are against the Euro. And the Euro has actually gained in approval since the financial crisis began, so an exit from the Euro would be not representative of the majority of German people.

I personally think these people (the AfD) are dangerous and delusional, and should [not] get votes ever.
Pretty much this. I hope you don't mind me changing your post a little, which I assume was the intent.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Teron D Amun posted:

If AfD manages to enter the Bundestag, we'll see CDU+SPD. Just ignore shitbirds like Bouffier.

vickser posted:

First of all, I'm not so sure about that. I always heard that only a minority in Germany was anti-Euro, even if it's a very loud and annoying minority.

Apart from that, the AfD is basically the party of People Who Are Irrationally Angry and Afraid aka the German Tea Party. Apart from being pretty anti-Euro and anti-Europe (despite Germany having profited massively from both), they are against equal marriage rights for homosexuals, kind of want to bring the DM back, have a weird hard-on for a flat-tax system and are generally pretty fond of law and order bullshit. Probably more retarded poo poo, too.

For crying out loud, every single one of their posters has "Mut zur Wahrheit" on it. This is a party that literally runs a campaign based on "I'm not racist, but".

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
http://afdwaehlerstellensichvor.tumblr.com/

Choice quotes include the NPD as a leftist party and the threat to throw journalists into camps for saying the AfD was right wing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put it this way, if the Pirates are the Reddit party, AfD is the PYF Idiots on Facebook thread party.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AfD had the most Aryan ads on TV.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Laff at Westerwelle's face. He looks about to break.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh God this guy's shirt.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I was in Leipzig yesterday and it was interesting to see how many young people flocked to the CDU stands in the Innenstadt. Who the gently caress votes CDU and isn't already a senior, I just don't get people.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Greyhawk posted:

Laff at Westerwelle's face. He looks about to break.
Delicious Liberal tears.

I'm on a train right now, so I'm following the evening with spotty internet access, but I gathered that Brüderle gave a statement already. I'm very curious about it. Actually, I just want to know how smashed he was.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
According to the latest predictions from ARD, the CDU/CSU actually has a majority on its own now.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

frankenfreak posted:

Delicious Liberal tears.

I'm on a train right now, so I'm following the evening with spotty internet access, but I gathered that Brüderle gave a statement already. I'm very curious about it. Actually, I just want to know how smashed he was.

He made some statements that to me indicated he will step down soon.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Wengy posted:

I was in Leipzig yesterday and it was interesting to see how many young people flocked to the CDU stands in the Innenstadt. Who the gently caress votes CDU and isn't already a senior, I just don't get people.

I'm probably biased because I hail from the black heart of Westphalia, but the Junge Union is way more organized and accessible than their SPD counterpart. The fact that the JuSos are generally way more radical in their politics probably does not really help them attracting young people in a country where the political mainstream is dominated by middle-of-the-road positions.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

BabyFur Denny posted:

According to the latest predictions from ARD, the CDU/CSU actually has a majority on its own now.

Apparently, the ZDF now has an absolute majority for the Union, too. That would probably be good going forward, with the SPD in opposition (and here's hoping they finally get the message that they need to open up to a coalition including the Linke).

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. A majority of the CDU/CSU would mean things won't get drastically worse for Germany. Just the same poo poo as the past years. And the SPD and the Linke could have a chance to find some common ground and stuff.

The possible Union majority is kinda ridiculous, but I'm used to it, since I live in Bavaria. And at least AfD and FDP are out.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah. A majority of the CDU/CSU would mean things won't get drastically worse for Germany. Just the same poo poo as the past years. And the SPD and the Linke could have a chance to find some common ground and stuff.

The possible Union majority is kinda ridiculous, but I'm used to it, since I live in Bavaria. And at least AfD and FDP are out.

I wouldn't count out the AfD just yet.

Also expect a challenge before the constitutional court if they fail with 4.9%

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Getting used to poo poo is a proud German tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

frankenfreak posted:

Apparently, the ZDF now has an absolute majority for the Union, too. That would probably be good going forward, with the SPD in opposition (and here's hoping they finally get the message that they need to open up to a coalition including the Linke).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the English word "majority" already mean what we call "absolute Mehrheit" in German?

Anyway, I don't like any party being able to govern alone, it offends my sense of what is right. And most especially do I not want the CDU having an outright majority. This would also give the CSU much more power, with the Union depending on every single CSU vote.

At least the majority in the Bundesrat is still held by the left. If all goes right we might even expand our votes if we get Hessen.