Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Fiend Computer posted:

LordMune posted:

I'm getting on a plane in a few hours, but I banged out Jojolion #24 because who needs to pack anyway haha my priorities are a mess
Mune you're the best :allears:
Anyway, about the new chapter, Love Struck huh? I guess that undoes the whole alternate Gironio theory.
It's a really tortured translation of a really tortured pun (see also: everything else Tsurugi says), don't read too much into it. :ssh: 愛したんどォ 恋スたんどォ, aishitandoo koiSTANDoo

EDIT: new page, more quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow, I'm pretty sure I actually had a recurring nightmare similar to this Stand or whatever is happening to Yasuho and Jo2uke as a kid. Jojolion continues to be the most anxiety-ridden part yet.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

LordMune posted:

It's a really tortured translation of a really tortured pun (see also: everything else Tsurugi says), don't read too much into it. :ssh: 愛したんどォ 恋スたんどォ, aishitandoo koiSTANDoo

Okay, I had just the phrasing as the name and then a sort of description for it. Weird as hell stand though, thats for sure!

EDIT: also interesting to note, whoevers room that was, they have the same fasion sense of our favorite amnesiac.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 22, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fiend Computer posted:

EDIT: also interesting to note, whoevers room that was, they have the same fasion sense of our favorite amnesiac.

The same fashion sense as him and Kira. The Higashikatas seem to be at the root of this whole mystery, Joshuu and maybe Daiya excepted.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
My god. It's like Araki took all that criticism of 'sameface' in his recent artwork and turned it into a Stand ability

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Kind of a useless Stand if it only changes faces to be similar and not clothes. Josuke's wearing a sailor outfit in the year of our lord 2013.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Part 8 has some loving weird stands.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
(Discussing new Jojolion)

Ryaomon posted:

Kind of a useless Stand if it only changes faces to be similar and not clothes. Josuke's wearing a sailor outfit in the year of our lord 2013.
And they can call each other even if they still can't figure it out. I'm curious what conflict will arise from this. I guess Josuke doesn't know about the stand yet at least.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Tobaccrow posted:

(Discussing new Jojolion)

And they can call each other even if they still can't figure it out. I'm curious what conflict will arise from this. I guess Josuke doesn't know about the stand yet at least.
I wonder if the Stand can also mess with victims' perceptions of voices, clothing, bodytypes, etc to the degree that they become paranoid of everyone and assume that even if they find the right person, they'll think they're an imposter ala Capgras Syndrome. I have a feeling that Jo2uke using Joshuu's phone will be worked in somehow...

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Perigryn posted:

I wonder if the Stand can also mess with victims' perceptions of voices, clothing, bodytypes, etc to the degree that they become paranoid of everyone and assume that even if they find the right person, they'll think they're an imposter ala Capgras Syndrome. I have a feeling that Jo2uke using Joshuu's phone will be worked in somehow...

I can't shake the feeling that this might end with some more four ball action. Change the face, the voice and the clothes but the balls remain.

:v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This chapter reminded me so much of Harry Partridge's Hitman video it's not even funny. Also, what the hell was with origami phone? Was it just a piece of paper over the phone and it reflected the image or what?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I took it as the phone having actually been folded like origami and then returning to its original shape once the stand attack had been... inflicted? I wasn't actually looking too hard.

My first thought was that the origami material has to belong to the victim for the attack to work (it seems like a suitably arbitrary rule, at any rate). Tsurugi attacking Jousuke contradicts that though- unless Tsurugi got the sheet of paper from (what is heavily implied to, but might not, be) Kira's cell.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm kind of confused now. That thing on Yasuho's face just went away? And is it my imagination or does everyone look like Joushuu now?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MelvinBison posted:

I'm kind of confused now. That thing on Yasuho's face just went away? And is it my imagination or does everyone look like Joushuu now?

It's probably a contact point for Tsurugi's stand, though, because Jousuke's foot went all wonky when he stepped on the origami cicada. And yes, Yasuho and Jousuke will now see everybody except Tsurugi with the same face.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody should just have Jack Nicholson's face.

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.
The funny thing is, Paisley Park is actually a relatively useful stand in a scenario like this, she can use it to cause a circumstance where they could more easily find each other. That being said, her mom needs to be the new main character. Whiskey and video games, she's already cooler than anyone else.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

It's probably a contact point for Tsurugi's stand, though, because Jousuke's foot went all wonky when he stepped on the origami cicada. And yes, Yasuho and Jousuke will now see everybody except Tsurugi with the same face.

Maybe I should've phrased that better. I knew it was the stand's effect, I just thought it was Joushuu's face in particular. (For a stand called "Lovestruck", that would actually be pretty funny.)

Edit: Geez, I'm dense.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MelvinBison posted:

Maybe I should've phrased that better. I knew it was the stand's effect, I just thought it was Joushuu's face in particular. (For a stand called "Lovestruck", that would actually be pretty funny.)

The Stand isn't called Lovestruck. That was just a translation of a weird pun.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Ryaomon posted:

It could be used for hit-and-run with a partner. The partner strikes/mugs the target, retreats, makes a couple of changes (I.e. Puts on a leather jacket and a new hat) then gets past with very little chance of being found.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

gently caress. It's me, I'm the DUWANG. :saddowns:

We don't yet know the name of Tsurugi's stand.

Sorry about that.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Part 6 has been a slog for me - in part because fights became less decipherable artwise, in part because I have a harder time understanding some powers (like the whole Limp Bizkit fight :psyduck:). But then, I got to the volume 71 and it clicked in the best way. The fight with Vivano Westwood (shithead guard who attacked with meteors) had the brutal quality that was present throughout Part 3, where in every fight good guys got quite a lot of severe fractures, holes through every part of body and lost gallons of blood. And when the fight is over due to Jolyne being a badass extraordinaire, this absolute gem of a scene happens:

You just barely got alive from a fight and the first thing that you see is hella old kung fu Charles Manson murdering a whole room of dudes (with another :psyduck: stand) and telling you how much he loves drinking piss. You get so mad that you show him to go gently caress himself in four languages.

Araki is such a wonderful human being.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Of course Araki would throw in the Italian version right at the end there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Jolyne is a top tier Jojo, possibly the best.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Jolyne is a top tier Jojo, possibly the best.

Jolyne turning parts of her body into (late part 6 spoiler)mobius strips was the part that did it for me. So ridiculous and so awesome.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Honestly, except for Joeseph, I think the later the part is the better the Jojo is going to be.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

fatherboxx posted:

Joylene showing off her Multicultural upbringing

FFF-

Suddenly the decision about which series to read next has become So hard. I was originally going to go onto Part 7, but then I read about Blind Chariot Races, and then this...

It's such a shame the spare time I'd have has run out.

Thanks for all of your answers, but I'll have to come to a final decision when I have more time to spare.

Mad props to LordMune for the translation - thanks. Is it just me, or is Jojoloin going to get more fighty near the end? I mean I like the current pace and intrigue, but at the same time the stands seem like just the type Araki would take and then make you go "Holy poo poo these stands are super dangerous"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fatherboxx posted:

had the brutal quality that was present throughout Part 3, where in every fight good guys got quite a lot of severe fractures, holes through every part of body and lost gallons of blood.

Yeah, this seems to be why Araki always has an ally with a healing power after Part 3. Josuke, Gio, Foo Fighters, Gyro's weird zombie horse thread and Hot Pants, ect. Who knows if Part 8 will have one but Joushuu's stand looks like it might be able to be used that way.

EDIT: Gappy used his stand at one point to stop himself from losing blood didn't he? He can't use his ability on himself but maybe he can use it on his blood like Gio.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 22, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Trollhawke posted:

FFF-

Suddenly the decision about which series to read next has become So hard. I was originally going to go onto Part 7, but then I read about Blind Chariot Races, and then this...
Every part of Jojo is great. Even 5 with its weak protagonist and villain and bafflingly bad translation is still a cut above any other shounen manga. Read them all, even if it takes years. Araki is immortal anyway.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Trollhawke posted:

FFF-

It's such a shame the spare time I'd have has run out.

Thanks for all of your answers, but I'll have to come to a final decision when I have more time to spare.

Mad props to LordMune for the translation - thanks. Is it just me, or is Jojoloin going to get more fighty near the end? I mean I like the current pace and intrigue, but at the same time the stands seem like just the type Araki would take and then make you go "Holy poo poo these stands are super dangerous"

You should be reading them in order, and also you pretty much ruined Part 7 for yourself by reading JoJolion first.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soulcleaver posted:

Every part of Jojo is great. Even 5 with its weak protagonist and villain and bafflingly bad translation is still a cut above any other shounen manga. Read them all, even if it takes years. Araki is immortal anyway.

It does have the absurd glory of when you're trying to figure out what the gently caress the villain's power is. Even if it is basically the same bit of confusion from Part 3's end on a heaping does of :catdrugs:

e: correcting part number

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 23, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair Kars ability is pretty clearly explained, it's just insane to watch happening. King Crimson's got like 4 different explanations, all of them completely making the other one more confusing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Errr sorry, part 3. When you're wondering what The World does at first.

The main difference being that The World eventually gets a solid explanation whereas due to bad translation and sheer :wtc: we don't know what the gently caress King Crimson is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I must be some kind of Jojo mutant because I have never had trouble understanding how King Crimson works.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I always interpreted it as THE POWER OF RETCONNING which seemed okay and can actually be bullshit extended to explain the multiple confusing attempts at explaining :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Keeps_On_Slippin%27

Literally all there is to it. The lovely translation made it sound more complicated than it actually is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just the power to skip time basically. The problem is the translation that most people have read is very bad and does a bad job of explaining King Crimson's powers, so it caused a lot of confusion with people and has now become a meme even well after most people figured out how he works. On top of this King Crimson has extra abilities that allow Diavolo to move through the erased time which in and of itself is a weird thing for the idea of "erasing time." Then King Crimson can see into the future, etc. etc. It's not hard to figure out, it's just such a dumb stand with more powers than most of Araki's stands had up to that point that it seemed a lot more complicated than it actually was.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's just the power to skip time basically. The problem is the translation that most people have read is very bad and does a bad job of explaining King Crimson's powers, so it caused a lot of confusion with people and has now become a meme even well after most people figured out how he works. On top of this King Crimson has extra abilities that allow Diavolo to move through the erased time which in and of itself is a weird thing for the idea of "erasing time." Then King Crimson can see into the future, etc. etc. It's not hard to figure out, it's just such a dumb stand with more powers than most of Araki's stands had up to that point that it seemed a lot more complicated than it actually was.

Well since Diavolo is the user, it's only natural that he'd get the benefits of using his time skip power.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, The World stops time for everyone but Dio, King Crimson erases time for everyone but Diavolo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Well since Diavolo is the user, it's only natural that he'd get the benefits of using his time skip power.

No, that's not the problem. It makes sense for Diavolo's ability to not work on himself, since the same happened with Dio and Kira (In a way). The problem comes when you look at Diavolo moving through the skipped time and that concept in and of itself is a weird one, it's what most people call "Slowing time down." If Diavolo were never shown to be moving through the time, people would be significantly less confused as to what King Crimson does, because then it doesn't seem like he's slowing down time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I ended up deciding that Diavolo can erase up to the next 10 seconds for everybody but himself. They will continue acting in the way they would if it never happened, and he can act for the next 10 seconds and remember it. Also, when he erases time there are only results, so objects can freely pass through one another. And I guess he can see what the results will be 10 seconds in the future before he stops erases time?

• Locked thread