Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

Are there any good wrestling games for Windows? I remember playing old WWF/WWE games on ps1 and N64 and had a lot of fun making characters, intros, and playing with friends. Does anything like that even get made anymore? I am aware of console versions, but I don't know of anything good on PC.

Comedy option: MDickey's Wrestling Mpire

WWE'13 has some of the best customization of wrestling games so far, there's even a gimmick AI v. AI stream series called Video Game Championship Wrestling that has custom wrestlers designed to look like their videogame counterparts. The gameplay itself looks a bit simple and repetitive, but I've only ever seen it in play, never actually played it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
MDickie's Wrestling MPire is the only wrestling game that ever needed to be made.

edit: beaten

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Are there any games in the Settlers series that have an option to play without combat and conquest? Or any other Settler-like games, for that matter?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ephemeron posted:

Are there any games in the Settlers series that have an option to play without combat and conquest? Or any other Settler-like games, for that matter?

The Anno series (also by Blue Byte, the original Settlers devs) have a tiny amount of combat, and depending on what mission you're playing or what sandbox settings you're using, potentially none.

There's an eternal argument over whether Anno 1404 (aka Dawn Of Discovery) or 2070 is better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

a medical mystery posted:

WWE'13 has some of the best customization of wrestling games so far, there's even a gimmick AI v. AI stream series called Video Game Championship Wrestling that has custom wrestlers designed to look like their videogame counterparts. The gameplay itself looks a bit simple and repetitive, but I've only ever seen it in play, never actually played it myself.

This game is not on PC.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What's something fun and not ancient for less than $10 on Steam? I'm open to anything, and the cheaper the better. I'd like to have a weekend's worth of fun or more, and it can be intense or casual. I prefer solo games, but I would consider multiplayer games as long as they're not MMORPGs and as long as I don't get super slammed by hardcore players.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What's something fun and not ancient for less than $10 on Steam? I'm open to anything, and the cheaper the better. I'd like to have a weekend's worth of fun or more, and it can be intense or casual. I prefer solo games, but I would consider multiplayer games as long as they're not MMORPGs and as long as I don't get super slammed by hardcore players.

Super Crate Box is a very arcade-y platformer/shooter and I got exactly a weekend of use from it. Its on Steam, completely free no strings attached (not even any DLC or anything).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

'Papers, Please', Gunpoint and FTL are (not ancient) indy games, all $10, and pretty good fun. FTL in particular can be very addictive and quite a time sink initially (I think I sunk like 20 hours into it before I managed to beat the end boss for the first time).

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl and STALKER Clear Sky are also both less than $10 and, while a couple of years old, certainly not ancient and both games are good for dozens of hours worth of gameplay per playthrough, although they're a bit rough around the edges in some spots. Still, they're some of the most unique FPS RPGs made in the last decade.
Go get the "Comeplete" mods for both games if you intend to get them though, they're pretty much mandatory.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

madpanda posted:

FFXVI's fishing has me wanting some kind of stupid fishing game to play.

Steam has sega bass fishing for dreamcast and thats about it. Something where i can mindlessly drive a boat around to find fishing spots would be cool also, im guessing this doesn't exist.

If you can find them, there's the Legend of the River King games for DS... but part of the reason they're hard to find is because they're extremely niche and only really appeal to people to like to obsessively collect things at a tediously slow pace. I like to obsessively collect things but even I couldn't really handle how slow it was. Also there are no boats (at least not in the one I tried, whichever it was), just a Harvest-Moon-esque world where you run around on foot and try different locations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any other games like Card Hunter? A sort of D&D that you can play by yourself? I'm having a lot of fun with this and I really enjoyed Knights of Pen & Paper +1, so it's worth asking to see if there's anything else like these games.

http://game.cardhunter.com/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any other games like Card Hunter? A sort of D&D that you can play by yourself? I'm having a lot of fun with this and I really enjoyed Knights of Pen & Paper +1, so it's worth asking to see if there's anything else like these games.

http://game.cardhunter.com/

The Temple of Elemental Evil is a full adaptation of D&D 3.5 rules running on a retro dungeon-crawly scenario. It launched buggy and unfinished, but there's been a colossal fan-patch/expansion project which updates every couple of months.

In fact, a major new version came out just this week. Get the 'New Content' (NC) version - it adds a post-plot expansion (optional) and some also-optional low-level quests to do instead of running errands around the starting town. Talk to the blacksmith to begin them.

Edit: Holy crap, this is supposedly the final release, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 21, 2013

Grecotch Unicycle
Oct 6, 2012

In perpetual motion sickness.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If you like SHMUP games I can recommend the eXceed collection. The first one is a little meh, but all three games are just so different from one another in terms of mechanics, and I find that nice and refreshing; eXceed 2 is just like Ikaruga, and that is awesome!

fake edit: I also hear great things about Satazius and Jamestown!

Grecotch Unicycle fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 21, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dominic White posted:

The Temple of Elemental Evil is a full adaptation of D&D 3.5 rules running on a retro dungeon-crawly scenario. It launched buggy and unfinished, but there's been a colossal fan-patch/expansion project which updates every couple of months.

In fact, a major new version came out just this week. Get the 'New Content' (NC) version - it adds a post-plot expansion (optional) and some also-optional low-level quests to do instead of running errands around the starting town. Talk to the blacksmith to begin them.

Edit: Holy crap, this is supposedly the final release, too.

Welp, this looks exactly like what I was looking for. Thanks!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

Welp, this looks exactly like what I was looking for. Thanks!

There's also Knights Of The Chalice which is a bit more retro and accessible. It uses the Open Gaming License D20 ruleset, which is D&D with the serial numbers filed off. It's somewhat more expensive, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OLpqEZMAE

It's very DOS-styled, but has a fairly elegant UI.

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012
I played the free trial of Dofus back in the day and was very impressed with the Ecaflip class. For those of you that don't play Dofus, the Ecaflip is a gambler class which relies on rolling the dice to see what his attacks do. All of his attacks have a random element to them, where you could do really great damage to an opponent or roll wrong and hit yourself in the face , or a teammate in the face, etc. It's similar to DnD's 4th Ed Chaos Mage... where each time something was cast, you were rolling to see what type of damage you were doing.

Having played these games, I really enjoy the random mechanics in these classes. It gives some sort of ... challenge, I suppose. Plus... nothing's cooler than rolling right on the skill and seeing massive numbers bouncing around on the enemy player.

That said, I don't know of many games that have this kind of character. I'm into RPGs quite a bit, but I really have never heard of many of these games that have this kind of mechanic.

So I'm wondering... do you guys know of games like this?

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Hey- I asked for recommendations about two weeks ago but didn't get a response. I thought I'd try one more time:

I'm looking for more competitive multiplayer, single-screen games with simple mechanics. Party games basically- where people who rarely play video games can compete against frequent players and still have fun. Here are some examples:

Nidhogg (and the freely available remake eggnogg)
Bari Bari Ball
TowerFall
Samurai Gun
Dive Kick
0Space
TENNNES
Hokra

Things like Grifball from Halo, and XBLA games are good as well, but I would prefer them to be stand-alone pc games.

Any ideas?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TypeAskee posted:

I played the free trial of Dofus back in the day and was very impressed with the Ecaflip class. For those of you that don't play Dofus, the Ecaflip is a gambler class which relies on rolling the dice to see what his attacks do. All of his attacks have a random element to them, where you could do really great damage to an opponent or roll wrong and hit yourself in the face , or a teammate in the face, etc. It's similar to DnD's 4th Ed Chaos Mage... where each time something was cast, you were rolling to see what type of damage you were doing.

Having played these games, I really enjoy the random mechanics in these classes. It gives some sort of ... challenge, I suppose. Plus... nothing's cooler than rolling right on the skill and seeing massive numbers bouncing around on the enemy player.

That said, I don't know of many games that have this kind of character. I'm into RPGs quite a bit, but I really have never heard of many of these games that have this kind of mechanic.

So I'm wondering... do you guys know of games like this?

Have you considered the Wild Mage kit in Baldur's Gate 2/BGT/Tutu?

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Have you considered the Wild Mage kit in Baldur's Gate 2/BGT/Tutu?

I haven't gotten a chance to play Baldur's Gate 2 yet (I know, I'm an awful PC gamer... sue me, my parents didn't allow video games). Is this part of the actual base game or something that requires an addon or whatnot? I've read enough about BG2 to know that Tutu is a mod that enhances the game without changing content, just bug fixes and whatnot... is it essential?

I have a GoG copy of the game too... just haven't played the series yet. For that matter, haven't played any of the Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, or ToEE games.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TypeAskee posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play Baldur's Gate 2 yet (I know, I'm an awful PC gamer... sue me, my parents didn't allow video games). Is this part of the actual base game or something that requires an addon or whatnot? I've read enough about BG2 to know that Tutu is a mod that enhances the game without changing content, just bug fixes and whatnot... is it essential?

I have a GoG copy of the game too... just haven't played the series yet. For that matter, haven't played any of the Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, or ToEE games.

A kit is just what people call a class. Wild Mages are crazy loving awesome in Baldur's Gate. All of your spells have a chance to cause a Wild Surge, so your Magic Missile spell at level 1 may summon a few demons or insta-gib you instead. At later levels, you get to choose the amount of control over it so you can hilariously break the RNG aspect of the game going in both directions. You'll need Tutu to play as a Wild Mage in BG1, but it's the only kit I play at this point.

There's also a cool mod from this guy called Rhialto that adds a bunch of new spells specifically for Wild Mages. It's worth checking out if you want to do even more with it.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
The Embermage in Torchlight 2 has a passive ability that causes random spell effects on hit with auto-attack and some select spells as well. It's especially cool because the proc effects are unique to that ability. So it spawns stuff like tornadoes and spikes falling from the sky as you attack with dual-wield wands or jack up your cast speed and launch a bunch of mini-fireballs at everything.

It's what you're looking for, but probably to a lesser extent than BG2. Look into it though, there might even be mods that expand on the idea or make a new class around it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TypeAskee posted:

A kit is a variation on a class, and it comes by default in BG2. It isn't in BG1, but BG1 has mods like BGT(Baldur's Gate Trilogy) and EasyTutu that put it in the BG2 engine and let you choose a kit like that. Tutu doesn't actually alter BG2 in any way, but I'd consider it or BGT(which actually joins the two games together into one) to be absolutely essential for the first game. Wild Mage is fun as hell and those are some really good games.

Fair warning: BG1 can be rough at the start. It's low level D&D 2E combat. Taking a character all the way from running from his life from a single wolf at the beginning of BG1 to being able to throw down with gods at the end of BG2 is absolutely glorious, but if you don't like BG1, you can totally start with BG2. It'll explain what you need to know.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I doubt I'll get it, but does anyone know a fairly difficult game where you fight (or have the option to) fight completely unarmed that isn't God Hand? Not something relatively halfassed like Fallout 3 or New Vegas where it's even easier than if I had a gun the size of a fire hydrant strapped to my shoulder. Something where you have to play smart to win, but awards being brave/daring/psychotic.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Galick posted:

I doubt I'll get it, but does anyone know a fairly difficult game where you fight (or have the option to) fight completely unarmed that isn't God Hand? Not something relatively halfassed like Fallout 3 or New Vegas where it's even easier than if I had a gun the size of a fire hydrant strapped to my shoulder. Something where you have to play smart to win, but awards being brave/daring/psychotic.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay has pretty great hand to hand. If you play State of Decay (now on :steam: but needs an Xbox controller for now) all hand to hand, it would be tricky but possible, though somewhat limited as a full brawler.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Galick posted:

Mirror's Edge kind of has this.

You can disarm cops and use their guns, playing it the combat sections like a typical FPS, but you can also do some really, really awesome and satisfying moves by just staying constantly in motion and doing dropkicks and all other kinds of moves on the cops instead.

It's rather short and the entire gimmick of the game is obviously the whole first person platforming stuff, and additionally, performing well in the sections where you have to fight cops on your first playthrough is hard, if not impossible, but it is amazingly fun and satisfying when you manage to clear an entire room full of enemies with a perfect combination of moves.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Galick posted:

If you can find a copy, Oni is a fantastic 3rd person martial arts beat-em-up where the guns are entirely optional. Mirror's Edge also has a really satisfying melee combat system like Mustache said, but there are a couple brutally annoying difficulty spikes.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Sadly, already cleared Mirror's Edge a long time ago. Don't even have my copy anymore :v:

I never thought the Chronicles of Riddick games would actually be any good, given that they were based on a movie. And I've never even heard of State of Decay. Would my Logitech PS3 controller work for it or does it require an actual 360 controller?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Galick posted:

Sadly, already cleared Mirror's Edge a long time ago. Don't even have my copy anymore :v:

Dammit :I

Galick posted:

I never thought the Chronicles of Riddick games would actually be any good, given that they were based on a movie.

For what it's worth, I've never played Escape from Butcher Bay, but it's supposedly pretty good and certainly not your typical movie tie-in video game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Galick posted:

Dark Souls has fist weapons available relatively early on, and all weapons are upgradeable to endgame-tier strength, so that's an option—though not for the faint of heart.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Galick posted:

I never thought the Chronicles of Riddick games would actually be any good, given that they were based on a movie.
You would be perfectly reasonable to think that normally, but you'd be very wrong in this particular case. Not sure exactly how it works, but Vin Diesel seems to enjoy devoting good talent and resources to his gaming endeavors and it clearly shows. Escape from Butcher Bay is a masterpiece.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Burning Mustache posted:

For what it's worth, I've never played Escape from Butcher Bay, but it's supposedly pretty good and certainly not your typical movie tie-in video game.

It's a great game, but the hand to hand sections only happen during the imprisonment section. Afterwards, or in other words, during the bulk of the game, you're expected to either shoot or stealth your way through.

It's also vastly different from the typical movie video game in the sense that it's just another chapter in Riddick's story, and happens prior to the movies.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 22, 2013

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Dark Souls has fist weapons available relatively early on, and all weapons are upgradeable to endgame-tier strength, so that's an option—though not for the faint of heart.

Already done this, actually. Did a Captain Falcon run but I got bored with it around the second half of the game. Did manage to kill O&S at least, so I'll consider that a success.

I think I'm gonna look at State of Decay. Most accessible for me, though I'm really hoping I won't need an actual 360 controller given that I bought this one specifically for gaming.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

The unarmed combat in State of Decay is pretty limited, and not particularly fun. It's a challenge sure, but expect to use the same 2-3 attacks with no rhythm or finesse and a small number of finishers; Most of the difficulty would come from fact that you take much longer to defeat enemies, and so are more likely to get overwhelmed. You don't need a 360 controller, and there are programs to emulate one.

If you like first person, Zeno Clash is a first person, primarily unarmed fighting game. Skyrim's unarmed combat is pretty satisfying, particularly due to the amount of finishers, but the game itself isn't challenging at all unless you mod it to be, although going purely unarmed does add difficulty to some sections.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Looks like I'm going after State of Decay (been wanting a zombie game anyway) and Zeno Clash. It's made by Atlus, so that's a point in its favor right there, plus, it looks fun from what I see in the trailers. Thanks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Galick posted:

Not extraordinarily difficult, but the Yakuza series is basically GTA with a martial arts focus. Guns are pretty rare, melee weapons more common.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Galick posted:

Looks like I'm going after State of Decay (been wanting a zombie game anyway) and Zeno Clash. It's made by Atlus, so that's a point in its favor right there, plus, it looks fun from what I see in the trailers. Thanks!

If you enjoy Zeno Clash, remember that there is a sequel!

Fat Samurai posted:

Not extraordinarily difficult, but the Yakuza series is basically GTA with a martial arts focus. Guns are pretty rare, melee weapons more common.

Similarly, while there are guns in the game, Sleeping Dogs' combat is primarily hand to hand. There are melee weapons like kitchen knives, but unarmed is way more satisfying.

Unfortunately it's not a challenge on any level. Once you get used to countering attacks, losing a fight against 12 dudes isn't going to happen. But the game itself is great in almost every other regard, and definitely worth a look.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bouchacha posted:

Not sure exactly how it works, but Vin Diesel seems to enjoy devoting good talent and resources to his gaming endeavors and it clearly shows. Escape from Butcher Bay is a masterpiece.

Vin Diesel is a huge D&D nerd :eng101: Presumably other games as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Galick posted:

It's made by Atlus

Only published by Atlus USA, actually. It's made by ACE Team, who also did Rock of Ages. Atlus themselves had nothing to do with it.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only published by Atlus USA, actually. It's made by ACE Team, who also did Rock of Ages. Atlus themselves had nothing to do with it.

Welp. My point still stands, I've enjoyed every game I've played with the Atlus logo :v:

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
The servers my friends and I play DayZ in keep getting shut down, and to be honest, the game is getting a little stale.

Is there anything else that allows you to work with friends to build and collect things over a long period of time? God, that sounds vague.

DayZ was great, but the best parts of it were exploring the map together, looting other people's camps, slowly building up our collection of gear, then using it to fight off other players.

It doesn't have to be anything zombie related, just something with the same basic ideas of teamwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I need some turn-based games for a car trip. Something accessible that doesn't require a mouse. Maybe a rogue-like or puzzle game. Already played Dungeons of Dredmore to death.